ADVERTISEMENT

Best verbal commits to UK to never play

I hope I don't open old wounds here but maybe (who knows, 240# BIG for a LB in those days) the biggest ever was Freddie Radar from Corbin. Actually a few miles from the county school I went to, but it happened a lot in those days, from a wide spot in the road on US25E, Siler. He was the number one prospect in the state that year from all reports, and already signed with UK.

Sixty years ago, I was in the Army at Ft Bliss at the time, hope I have all the facts straight, all I know is what I read at the time. From what I understand he was very close to his single mother who was raising him. I never even heard the word drugs mentioned growing up there, but the story was that he got some bad drugs and killed his mother, and didn't remember what he had done when he was brought back into a sad world the next day. Needless to say there is no story of what other school he went to.

I have never heard him mentioned in any other stories after that, maybe no one wanted to talk about it or maybe just a story to scare other kids away from drugs, actually I hope it was that, truly a sad story if true. Anyone else hear that story?

Similar to the well documented story of the number one overall basketball pick from Maryland who overdosed (supposed to be his first time) on drugs celebrating him being the #1 pick in the draft. Either story should be enough to scare kids away from drugs, but then------

How anyone can take their first step into the drug world knowing what it can lead to is beyond me. Personally it wouldn't bother me if every drug dealer in the world dropped dead tomorrow. And yeah, I know there are some on here and some got hooked by an ambitious drug dealer, but the world wouldn't miss them.

Willoughby and Kemp are who absolutely verballed and/or signed(hell, I saw Kemp playing flag football in the fall of his freshman year on campus) and are the two best.

Draymond Green committed but de-verballed when OTS left. A couple of others are Gunther Behnke and Vince Sanford, both in the early-mid '80s. Lawrence Funderburke is committed but got caught up in the Eddie Sutton fiasco.

The other names are rumor or hearsay.
Vince Sanford was average at best. Ralph Sampson was supposedly coming to UK too, so was Daryl Dawkins.

Are we including players that were fans of UK and were never contacted by staff, or players that were ready to come but moved on when the staff stopped recruiting them?

ADVERTISEMENT