ADVERTISEMENT

Best verbal commits to UK to never play

I know Dirk and T-Mac were high on UK. I believe Draymond Green was once a commit. Shawn Kemp I guess could technically fall in this category as well.

Willoughby and Kemp are who absolutely verballed and/or signed(hell, I saw Kemp playing flag football in the fall of his freshman year on campus) and are the two best.

Draymond Green committed but de-verballed when OTS left. A couple of others are Gunther Behnke and Vince Sanford, both in the early-mid '80s. Lawrence Funderburke is committed but got caught up in the Eddie Sutton fiasco.

The other names are rumor or hearsay.

Last edited:
Draymond Green. You should have posted this on Rafters

Moses Malone was going to go Maryland if he had gone to college.
Willoughby committed, Tracy McGrady committed, the kid from Columbia SC would have gone to UK, cannot think of him, Most think Ralph Sampson committed because Joe Hall called local TV and radio to tell them that they needed to be in Harrisonburg Va., all changed the night before and morning. Apparently mother cried and held on to Ralph at breakfast.
Dawkins was rumored to be part of class with Willoughby or year before. Most think FSU with Hugh Durham was the destination point.

Dirk was going out West, he had person who was pushing him to Washington, Oregon or somewhere, can't remember. He wanted to visit UK but was getting late in process and UK was told he was going pro is what I heard. He blew up in game with college and NBA players.
Dirk is a big fan of big blue and follows them as if it is his team.

I can remember Gunther Boenke actually arriving on campus then going back to Germany. He later was a starter on the German National Team. Saw him one night at the big nightclub called 2000 something (can't remember the name) and he was huge.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Butch Beard
You sure about that one? I played at the same high school and the rumor is that Rupp was interested but Beard was not. Him and Unseld were good friends and knew they wanted to play together at UL.

Beard signed a letter of intent with MVC (Missouri Valley Conference) Louisville was a member then told Rupp he wanted to play at UK..MVC would not release him.Unseld was a teammate of mine at Seneca..Unseld was recruited by Rupp but his mother wanted a guarantee of safety in the Deep South..Rupp could not promise that..We beat Breckenridge County in the 1964 State Finals..Beard was hampered by a sprained knee suffered in the Semi Finals..He was a special player.Unseld was a Man..

I was with Derek Anderson on Tracy McGrady visit..I never heard that he verballed.

I can't speak for the exact level (the so-called "silent verbal" maybe?) of his commitment, but all these years later I definitely remember Dickie V adding 2 + 2 about it during one of our games. Back then I took it as a verbal, but not yet signed LOI. But hey, it was before the internet, so I couldn't exactly follow up on it. Take it however you want to, I guess.

A quick Google search shows several articles mentioning McGrady would've gone to UK, before the switch to the NBA. UK is the only school I've really heard that was associated with his final college choice.

A bio in Boys' Life from Jan. 2004 says: "As McGrady was set to commit to the University of Kentucky, he realized he would be a high draft pick if he were to jump straight to the NBA."

I can't speak for the exact level (the so-called "silent verbal" maybe?) of his commitment, but all these years later I definitely remember Dickie V adding 2 + 2 about it during one of our games. Back then I took it as a verbal, but not yet signed LOI. But hey, it was before the internet, so I couldn't exactly follow up on it. Take it however you want to, I guess.

A quick Google search shows several articles mentioning McGrady would've gone to UK, before the switch to the NBA. UK is the only school I've really heard that was associated with his final college choice.

A bio in Boys' Life from Jan. 2004 says: "As McGrady was set to commit to the University of Kentucky, he realized he would be a high draft pick if he were to jump straight to the NBA."
He ha good visit ,but I think he was set on NBA from the time he arrived

He ha good visit ,but I think he was set on NBA from the time he arrived

Sounds like you were in the loop on it. What could have been, eh? Rick might've stayed put, even. ;)

Just out of curiosity, when was that visit? I want to say that the Vitale comment was during the 1st half of the 96-97 season, but with it being almost 2 decades ago, I couldn't say for sure.

Sounds like you were in the loop on it. What could have been, eh? Rick might've stayed put, even. ;)

Just out of curiosity, when was that visit? I want to say that the Vitale comment was during the 1st half of the 96-97 season, but with it being almost 2 decades ago, I couldn't say for sure.
during the 97 Season at a home Football game..

I was at Brookings Chili when Rupp and Jerry West walked in during West's recruiting visit. Couldn't have been the chili that made him decide against UK…maybe he didn't like those little Coke bottles. Guess we will never know for sure.

#whatcouldhavebeen

Beard signed a letter of intent with MVC (Missouri Valley Conference) Louisville was a member then told Rupp he wanted to play at UK..MVC would not release him.Unseld was a teammate of mine at Seneca..Unseld was recruited by Rupp but his mother wanted a guarantee of safety in the Deep South..Rupp could not promise that..We beat Breckenridge County in the 1964 State Finals..Beard was hampered by a sprained knee suffered in the Semi Finals..He was a special player.Unseld was a Man..

So, Rupp is labeled as a racist in part because he wouldn't lie to a recruit and promise him safety in the deep south?

UK still spearheaded integration in the SEC, just a fact. You can't blame any player for not wanting to be the first to break the line in the SEC.

I always thought it was an interesting read that when the Bear was asked if it wouldn't have been a shame if he had left as the Golden Boy was signing with UK in football and he replied that if Paul had come to UK he wouldn't have left. I have also wondered why King Kelly Coleman didn't end up at UK, 45 PPG in high school, just a scorer against bad competition, grades, or what?

Last edited:
You sure about that one? I played at the same high school and the rumor is that Rupp was interested but Beard was not. Him and Unseld were good friends and knew they wanted to play together at UL.
My uncles' cousin is Donnie Morris, who was the coach. Rupp did recruit him a little but beard had no interest in being the one to break the "color barrier" there.

My uncles' cousin is Donnie Morris, who was the coach. Rupp did recruit him a little but beard had no interest in being the one to break the "color barrier" there.
Coach Morris was a fine man,but I interviewed Unseld at UL for my school newspaper and Wes told me that Butch had really been interested in playing for UK.Unseld is my High School's All Time Scorer and his Brother George was my Coach I think I may be closer to this story..

Reactions: Sawnee Cat

I remember dick talking about this too was a maybe one of our games. He was saying like he does oh wait till McGrady gets to UK. Along those lines.

I remember dick talking about this too was a maybe one of our games. He was saying like he does oh wait till McGrady gets to UK. Along those lines.
I remember ESPN had McGrady committed to UK scrolling across the bottom of the screen during one of UK's games.

I remember ESPN had McGrady committed to UK scrolling across the bottom of the screen during one of UK's games.

One of these days, if I can narrow down what game it was, I'll have to check and see if UKBasketballLive has a replay on file. I'd get a kick out of finding it and hearing Dick V. say it again!

He actually said that in an interview I heard maybe a half dozen years ago, Only time Ive ever heard it and it was out of his mouth.

ADVERTISEMENT