ADVERTISEMENT

Best country music you will not hear on the radio?

I got Jim Beam on my breath and I love you on my mind...what a lyric. Love Cody Jink's music and he put on a hell of a show in Pittsburgh. And I am not a fan of Pittsburgh....

Someone mentioned them earlier, but the Turnpike Troubadours are the best act in country music right now. Superb songwriting, perfect blend of traditional and modern sounds, just an all-around great band.

1) Merle Haggard
2) Waylon Jennings
3) David Allan Coe
4) George Jones
5) Travis Tritt

The top 4 plus Bob Wills & the Texas Playboys, Loretta Lynn, Willy Nelson, Don Williams, Buck Owens & Johnny Cash are exactly why I have Sirius XM- so I can listen to channel 59- Willy's Roadhouse.

Only a handful of today's country singers I can listen to:
Sturgill Simpson and Dwight Yoakum being the the two best IMO

The top 4 plus Bob Wills & the Texas Playboys, Loretta Lynn, Willy Nelson, Don Williams, Buck Owens & Johnny Cash are exactly why I have Sirius XM- so I can listen to channel 59- Willy's Roadhouse.

Only a handful of today's country singers I can listen to:
Sturgill Simpson and Dwight Yoakum being the the two best IMO
Man I'm telling you I love your list. I really like Don William's, love to hear him on Amanda. Buck Owens Tiger By The Tail, and Loves Gonna Live Here are some of my favorites. I'm 45 and grew up listening to this music because that's what Dad always listened to. I only listen to that old stuff now.

Chris LeDoux was the king of "underground" country music in the 80's but more so in the 90's so he has to get mentioned. He had a few songs get some play but he has a ton of albums that never left a tape deck.

Prine should be in this thread, all of his stuff actually. This one hits home because I lost someone to it. But you won't hear it, even though it's Prine.

Can't believe it took that long for someone to mention John Prine. Rolling Stone magazine ranked his new album "The Tree of Forgiveness" the 22nd best album of the year, regardless of genre.

ADVERTISEMENT