ADVERTISEMENT

Benny Snell

sieken

Junior
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2008
I missed where Pittsburg let Conner go. Benny is going to have a shot at being the man in Pittsburg. Their draft pick from last year started to get playing time later in the season, McFarland I think. The doors open, hopefully Benny rises to the occasion.

Well the Steelers mock drafts by the experts haven half taking OL have taking a RB, most mentioned is Najee Harris, if he is gone, Travis Etinenne. A little competition is good though. Also, Edmonds will have a shot also.

Benny isn't going to be our starter. We're aiming to draft Najee Harris at 24. He'll likely be our starter.

I love Benny and he's an absolute UK Football legend but his NFL career is off to a rocky start. If he doesn't produce this year, he'll likely be cut.

Benny isn't going to be our starter. We're aiming to draft Najee Harris at 24. He'll likely be our starter.

I love Benny and he's an absolute UK Football legend but his NFL career is off to a rocky start. If he doesn't produce this year, he'll likely be cut.
I’ve seen the 2 UNC RBs mentioned as possibilities, as well. I’m hoping for Harris or an OT if he’s off the board. I’m not saying Benny should be the featured back but his situation there has been less than ideal & it’s not really fair to judge him based on that. In his rookie season, Roethlisberger was hurt in the first half of the first game & Mason Rudolph & Ducky Hodges were his QBs. It was just like UK with Bowden under center. Teams knew Pittsburgh couldn’t throw the ball & they stacked the box nearly every play, daring them to try. Anybody would have a hard time trying to run the ball under those circumstances. The OC is horrible too & did him no favors with his simplistic, predictable play calling the past 2 seasons. Benny had a cpl really good games last year when Conner was hurt & he got a chance. But, for some reason they were hellbent on Conner being RB1.

Every mock I have read including the Steelers insider guys only have 2 RB's listed. Najee Harris and if he is not there, Travis Etinenne from Clemson. They want a guy who can on any given play, take it to the house. Both guys I listed are very talented and the top 2 rated this year. Some people question Harris as a pass catcher, but like he said "I didn't need to be a receiver, we had 3 NFL draft picks for that." Etinenne is a very good possibility (I think Harris will be off the board before then), and is is a very dynamic and dangerous RB, maybe not 20 carries per game, but very skilled both running and receiving, a true game breaker.

Last edited:
I saw where the Steelers already signed yet another running back via free agency. It really doesnt look promising for Benny as a long termer in Pittsburgh, but I have to keep reminding myself that the level of athlete is just another world from college. It is possible though that if Benny hangs in and has a good training camp, he either sticks with the Steelers or gets a shot somewhere else. The money is all green, no matter what the uniform is.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Can't really judge what Benny is and is not based simply because the very bad offensive line, the jury is still out. I think the Steelers like what they have in him, it will not be drafting / acquiring another RB that does him in (every RB for the Steelers have been below average with that O-Line, his rookie contract expiring would be the bigger issue I feel. He has had some really nice games / been the leading rusher for the game for the Steelers, I really believe with a above average line, he can be a very solid, producing RB in the NFL. He is not the most athletic, or have the blazing speed, but his work ethic and determination to get the tough yards has a place on EVERY NFL team.

Reactions: sluggercatfan

Not that I disagree but that OLine isn’t opening holes like they used to for Bell. I hope Benny can make a push, if not, there’s good money in being the backup.

Reactions: Blue wood
Until the Steelers upgrade their Oline, short of the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders, their running game will continue to struggle.

Their Oline was NFL bottom 3rd for run blocking. Awful.
And, it doesn’t help when the play calls are predictable. But, it’s hard to believe how fast that OL went from very good to old & awful. Snell’s rookie season was a tough situation bc they had no passing game & everyone knew they had to run the ball. Just a perfect storm for a slow start to his career. I don’t think they see him as a feature back but I think they do like him & will keep him around as the backup for a cpl seasons. He’s been pretty good when the situation wasn’t hopeless, aside from a minor fumbling issue. Tomlin seems to like him, too.

His lack of NFL speed is what will cut his career short unfortunately. I love him and what he did for UK but you have to be fast in the NFL and you get left behind when you arent. Just the way it is.

Reactions: thepip
I think Benny can be an above average pass catcher out of the backfield. As long as the Steelers have a passing attack I think Benny can succeed. Otherwise you are setting any RB up for failure. He has shown time and again that he can break tackles but in the NFL you aren’t going to carry pile after pile if the D always knows what’s coming.

Still believe the best is yet to come for Mr. Snell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT