ADVERTISEMENT

Bengals and their draft pick

I feel Jonah Williams will be a very good LT for a long time if he can stay healthy. Injuries happen and are part of football. He didn't have injury concerns coming out of Alabama. He graded out in the top 4 if you combine the 2019 and 2020 draft class in basically his rookie season. Especially good considering he was being coached by Turner. Jonah could get to that pro bowl level one day under Pollock.

Typically when drafting a tackle you're looking at a 3-4 year development. Sewell is extremely raw in true pass sets. He will be a good tackle with some development in my opinion. By the time he gets to the level everyone is projecting him it'll be time to pay him big dollars. That's after you just paid Burrow major dollars. I'm of the opinion that you try to get to the Super Bowl under Burrow's rookie contract. You don't need the best offensive line in football. You need a good offensive line. The Bengals can build a good offensive line without Sewell. The opportunity to reunite Burrow and Chase will only happen once.

I feel Jonah Williams will be a very good LT for a long time if he can stay healthy. Injuries happen and are part of football. He didn't have injury concerns coming out of Alabama. He graded out in the top 4 if you combine the 2019 and 2020 draft class in basically his rookie season. Especially good considering he was being coached by Turner. Jonah could get to that pro bowl level one day under Pollock.

Typically when drafting a tackle you're looking at a 3-4 year development. Sewell is extremely raw in true pass sets. He will be a good tackle with some development in my opinion. By the time he gets to the level everyone is projecting him it'll be time to pay him big dollars. That's after you just paid Burrow major dollars. I'm of the opinion that you try to get to the Super Bowl under Burrow's rookie contract. You don't need the best offensive line in football. You need a good offensive line. The Bengals can build a good offensive line without Sewell.

Sewell isn't the top lineman on the board because he's a multi-year project though. It's important to stress Burrow's pass protection, but let's not forget that the Bengals also need open rushing lanes for Joe Mixon. Every prospect is under a microscope, and he has the fewest cons of anybody available. The Bengals would still be taking a major risk by deferring their franchise QB's protection to later rounds on actual projects and injury-prone players while the consensus best lineman in the draft is right there for the taking.

The opportunity to reunite Burrow and Chase will only happen once.
This is buying into a storyline. This has been what has fueled the Chase to the Bengals talk. If Burrow and Chase didn't play at LSU together, then I don't even think that we would be having this discussion. The Bengals have serviceable wide receivers, and if they are prioritizing a receiving weapon, then you would think that Pitts makes more sense for them.

Typically when drafting a tackle you're looking at a 3-4 year development. Sewell is extremely raw in true pass sets. He will be a good tackle with some development in my opinion. By the time he gets to the level everyone is projecting him it'll be time to pay him big dollars. That's after you just paid Burrow major dollars. I'm of the opinion that you try to get to the Super Bowl under Burrow's rookie contract. You don't need the best offensive line in football. You need a good offensive line. The Bengals can build a good offensive line without Sewell. The opportunity to reunite Burrow and Chase will only happen once.
games are won and lost in the trenches
WR's are a dime a dozen unless very elite
do you think Chase will have the career AJ has had
if not why would you take him at 5

as far as reuniting the, who cares besides them
fans want wins not family reunions
this is not sandlot FB where you get to pick the team your friends are on

they can also reunite after Chase leaves what ever team he will be drafted on

WR's are a dime a dozen unless very elite
do you think Chase will have the career AJ has had
if not why would you take him at 5

as far as reuniting the, who cares besides them
fans want wins not family reunions
this is not sandlot FB where you get to pick the team your friends are on

they can also reunite after Chase leaves what ever team he will be drafted on
Yes I think Chase will have the career AJ had if drafted by the Bengals. He was elite and the best WR in college football at 19 years old. If you think he’s just Burrows friend and that’s why Joe wants him in Cincy then you obviously didn’t watch them in college. He carved up NFL corners on the regular. He’s a special talent. Let’s put it this way. I have a lot more concerns about Sewell than Jamaar Chase.

Reactions: 3kidsandme
Yes I think Chase will have the career AJ had if drafted by the Bengals. He was elite and the best WR in college football at 19 years old. If you think he’s just Burrows friend and that’s why Joe wants him in Cincy then you obviously didn’t watch them in college. He carved up NFL corners on the regular. He’s a special talent. Let’s put it this way. I have a lot more concerns about Sewell than Jamaar Chase.
I feel just the opposite
he had the best QB in college throwing to him
i think Sewel has the best chance to be great
Chase should have a good NFL career but not AJ special
you simply do not take a WR at 5 unless he is a generational talent
he may not even be the best WR in this draft

think about this
Sewel got a Heisman vote as a Soph the same year Burrow won it
how many OL in history have gotten a vote not to mention him just being a soph

yes he has a real chance to be special

Last edited:
Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
After taking another close look at the draft board today, I think Cincinnati is going to go with a defender in round 2. There are a handful of high quality edge defenders who will likely be available around pick #38.

They have left the door open for Geno Atkins to re-sign with the team, but if he doesn't, then they are also going to need to get a DT for the future/depth in this draft. Round 2 and 3 are going to be their best bets for either spot on the defensive line.

If they go that route, then it further solidifies Sewell in Round 1, and then allows the team to try to pick up a receiver, a replacement for Gio, an extra interior linemen, and a linebacker in Rounds 4-7.

They have to go O-Line in round 1. Sewell, or maybe not a popular, but would be interesting and more productive from getting more picks standpoint (what I would do giving the holes on the line), is for the Bengals trade down a few slots, then take Slater from NW. (lot of experts think he is better and a day 1 starter than Sewell) Still getting an elite O-Lineman and maybe stockpiling a couple extra draft picks. The Bengals have several holes to fill, trade back, try to get a extra 2/3 rounder. With the extra picks, go O-Line / D-Line in the second and third rounds after getting their guy in the 1st. Jerra (I am a Cowboys fan 1st, Bengals 2nd) would be itching to trade up (dumb idea) so he can nab Pitts from Florida, then worrying about his true needs later (can't fault him for taking Cee Dee Lamb last year). BUT, one thing the Cowboys have done is find guys in the day 2 portion of the draft that turned out to be very solid, reliable O-Linemen. If I where the Bengals brass, I at least give him a call and use his weakness of locking in to a guy whether the team needs him or not. Keep in mind Stephen Jones had to pretty much tie his hands and keep him from drafting Manziel, luckily he listened and they took Zach Martin. They caught a lot of flack for taking Travis Frederick in the 1st round (who Martin replaced after a stellar career) when mocks had him late 2nd, early 3rd at best. So the Bengals do not have to play it by the book. At least try to gain picks and trade back 5 spots. And there are even rumors of the Bengals taking Pitts and doing exactly what I suggested and getting linemen in the 2nd / 3rd rounds (where a guy like Frederick was mocked). I think a few people are maybe backing up on Sewell. IMO, when you need more than 1 position to rebuild the O-Line to protect your franchise, trading back is the smart play, not the most popular at the time, but most beneficial.

Draft week is finally here!

iu

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
Thinking/hoping thePats or Bears want a QB and come to the Bengals with trade offer.
They could probably still get one of the OL at 15 or 20
Duke Tobin pretty much said they don’t plan on trading back that far. I doubt they move back past 7-8.

Reactions: jameslee32
Duke Tobin pretty much said they don’t plan on trading back that far. I doubt they move back past 7-8.

GMs say a lot of things in advance of the draft. Much of it smoke and not fire!

Bengals have historically NOT done much trading on Draft day but it might be rudest here with 5 OL projected in first round.

That is assuming they go OL and not Pitts or Chase!

Thinking/hoping thePats or Bears want a QB and come to the Bengals with trade offer.
They could probably still get one of the OL at 15 or 20
I don't think Slater is available there as well so maybe they only do this if they want another position and more picks.

Only problem with that is there is a big drop off from 2-3 then Vera-Tucker is a guard. I don't think they can drop past 11 and get an OT that can step in and play from day 1
Why do you think they need a tackle to play day 1? They have Jonah Williams and Riley Reiff.

They need an upgrade that can step in and get the job done and not let burrow get killed. If Sewell is what they built him up to be as a Soph and Slater is close to as good, they can't let them both get away. Look how wirfs changed Tampa in one year. But if your right and the guys they have are good enough why draft a 1st rd lineman?? Why not draft pitts or chase and get quality IOL 2nd rd? Guess we will see what they think they have at the draft.

They need an upgrade that can step in and get the job done and not let burrow get killed. If Sewell is what they built him up to be as a Soph and Slater is close to as good, they can't let them both get away. Look how wirfs changed Tampa in one year. But if your right and the guys they have are good enough why draft a 1st rd lineman?? Why not draft pitts or chase and get quality IOL 2nd rd? Guess we will see what they think they have at the draft.

Wirfs was great but let’s not act like he changed Tampa. Hello TB12 and all that comes with having the greatest QB of our era.

Wirfs was great but let’s not act like he changed Tampa. Hello TB12 and all that comes with having the greatest QB of our era.
Wirfs allowed one sack all season. You tell me that doesn't change anything. Look at KC their starting tackles went down and it killed them. I wasn't saying he was their savior or won them the super bowl. To say he didnt change their line and team is crazy. My guess is TB12 was sure glad they made that pick.

I highly doubt you’ll be able to get a offensive tackle that’s as good as Jonah or Riley anywhere in the draft. That’s not to say Sewell or Slater can’t develop into better tackles than them in a year or two. I’m down for drafting Chase or Pitts and getting IOL in rounds 2-4 along with a tackle that can take Reiff’s spot next year or beyond if he signs for another year. Regardless it’ll be interesting to see what they do tomorrow night. I’d be happy with Sewell, Chase, or Pitts as long as they address OL in round 2 if they get the weapons.

Reactions: Cawood86
All the playoff success the Bengals have ever had in their franchise history was on the back of selecting Anthony Munoz with the 3rd pick in 1980 and they will follow that by selecting Penei Sewell at 5 today, period. It is going to happen so move on to the other rounds to speculate about.

All the playoff success the Bengals have ever had in their franchise history was on the back of selecting Anthony Munoz with the 3rd pick in 1980 and they will follow that by selecting Penei Sewell at 5 today, period. It is going to happen so move on to the other rounds to speculate about.
Munoz was and is a generational talent.

If Chase is there, he's the pick imo and should be.

Munoz was and is a generational talent.

If Chase is there, he's the pick imo and should be.
many feel like Sewell is a generational talent
as a Soph. he got a Heisman vote (year Burrow won it)
in the history of the Heisman how many OT's have received a vote much less as a Soph.

Chase may not even be the best WR in this class

I feel just the opposite
he had the best QB in college throwing to him
i think Sewel has the best chance to be great
Chase should have a good NFL career but not AJ special
you simply do not take a WR at 5 unless he is a generational talent
he may not even be the best WR in this draft

think about this
Sewel got a Heisman vote as a Soph the same year Burrow won it
how many OL in history have gotten a vote not to mention him just being a soph

yes he has a real chance to be special

Chase is by far the best WR in this draft and it’s not particularly close imo.
4.38 40 with a 3.98 20 yard shuttle matches the elite short area quickness seen on film. 23 reps of 225 is elite at WR with a 41 inch vert and a 11 foot broad jump. The kid is freakishly strong with unbelievable feet and has enough long speed to threaten just about every corner out there. He gets elite separation and if he has a contested situation he’s stronger and jumps higher than anybody fast enough to cover him.
Against imo the 5 best defenses he faced Clemson, Georgia, Alabama, Florida and Texas he had 40 catches 873 yards and 8 TDs. That’s an unbelievable season for 95 percent of college receivers and this kid did that against whose who of college football. Chase absolutely destroyed the number 16 pick in the draft AJ Terrell and made him look pedestrian.
I get the need for lineman for the Bengals and before I actually studied this draft and watched the tapes I was all over the Sewell band wagon. Now after I’ve seen everything I have access to, you gotta go with the best player and it’s Chase in my untrained opinion. Sewell is going to be a good player but Chase has the chance to be HOF level good with an accurate thrower like Burrow.
The Bengals have good tackles right now. Jonah graded well above average at LT with an awful negative line coach and a LG next to him that couldn’t keep his pad level down and got Bull rushed backwards every snap. Rief has graded above average every year in the league with a statue back there in Kirk Cousins the last few years. They resigned Spain who has some upside still. Spain did a admirable job considering he came into a bad situation with a line coach none of the players liked. He’s had some really good years at guard. I think between Sua Filo and Spain we can be at the very least adequate at one guard spot. I really hope we draft either Leatherwood or Eichenberg. I feel like both guys have high floors and both can play Guard at a high level.

I also think Chase is the best receiver in the draft by a good margin but if I were making the call I'd trade down a few spots to pick up a couple 3rd rounders along with that 1st round pick as Dallas and Philly have a ton of picks to offer and still pickup a great player. Slater may even be available at 10-12 and with his versatility at guard and his ability to play center he fits our needs a little more than Sewell. Even if Sewell and Slater are gone and we've traded down with say Philly then we'll have an opportunity to add depth to the O-line plus get a great receiver or TE with that first pick.

Chris Collinsworth said exactly that this morning. He said he would trade down for the picks because teams are going to be overpaying to move up to that spot and he also mentioned Burrow won't be back at 100% so maybe aim more towards development than instant impact as we need help all over the place and the best way to fix that is with plenty of picks.

What Atlanta does will have a huge impact on our decision. If they trade that spot and somebody moves up and takes a 4th straight QB, then teams wanting Pitts and teams afraid they're going to miss out on their QB could all be offering a great deal to move up and we should listen.

I don't like hearing "so-and-so could also play guard."

That is minimizing a failed selection at tackle. If you have to play that pick at guard, then you are still most likely in bad shape on the line unless you pulled a gem out of nowhere (i.e. Hakeem Adenji becoming a Pro Bowler or a late-round pick emerging as the starter).

It's good from the perspective that it wouldn't necessarily be a wasted pick if the player didn't work out initially at tackle, but Cincinnati needs a long-term solution on the outside. Reiff is not a long-term solution at that position. They can't always be putting a stopgap out there at the most critical spot on the line.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
many feel like Sewell is a generational talent
as a Soph. he got a Heisman vote (year Burrow won it)
in the history of the Heisman how many OT's have received a vote much less as a Soph.

Chase may not even be the best WR in this class
Chase is hands down the best WR in this class. If he's there at 5, you take and look for OL help in later rounds.

Reactions: Titpwhami2014
Who is pick 2? Assuming they address the line, the top available are OTs Jenkins, Eichenberg, Radunz

Who is pick 2? Assuming they address the line, the top available are OTs Jenkins, Eichenberg, Radunz

I personally like Sam Cosmi.

If Barmore is available, then it will be frustrating to know that the Bengals could have walked away with the top offensive AND defensive tackles in this draft.

I would like to see them take Jenkins if he's there. Eichenberg projects as a Guard in the NFL. Another guy to watch is Walker Little too. I could see the Bengals taking a chance on him. High risk high reward with Little.

Think it will definitely be a O line pick. Maybe the next 2 picks. Have to upgrade that spot.

Reactions: ukfan03
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT