ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Simmons

Atlanta Blue

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 24, 2003
I didn't start out the year disliking Ben Simmons but now I sure do. His comments about Ullis showed no class. He was throwing meaningless behind the back passes while his team was in the process of losing a must win game to get into the NCAAs. He doesn't take care of his academic obligations and doesn't appear to give a crap. He chose to play for Coach Jones who seems like a nice guy but is completely incompetent as a coach. Simmons hasn't gotten any better over the course of the season. In fact, they've gotten worse. Some of this is on Coach Jones because he should hold Ben accountable and teach him how to play and carry himself like a winner. We see that every year with Cal's players. But Ben can do some of this on his own as well. Think about our guy Tyler and what a natural leader he is both on and off the court. Ben, I hope you figure some things out along the way but right now I'm not a fan. Enjoy the NIT.

At first, I doubted the story yesterday. Then the confirmations were clear. It turns out the kid is a first class jerk.

If this sore loser,over hyped,coddled, kid can't carry a 2.0 gpa to make the Wooden Award List, then how is it he can play bball. I may not know all of the rules and regulations of college but this doesn't make any sense to me. If someone can explain this, please do..........

I still think he is a very good player but overrated. He isn't the best player to come out sent James, has everyone for got Anthony Davis, John Wall
& DeMarcus Cousins.

I also thank he is over rated, the guy is a big man who can handle the ball like a guard, but cannot hit the outside shot does not have a good post up move..

Reactions: Blueaz
He does a lot of things very well and he'll be a valuable asset to the team that picks first. Whether he becomes a superstar depends on if he can develop some offensive maneuvers. If he does he could be a top 10 player in the league.

That being said, the kid is a smarmy little turd.

We are dealing with two different issues. The guy is uber talented. If he was coached by Cal, they would have worked on his game similar to Davis except that Simmons was willing to go inside with contact earlier than Davis was initially willing. I think you would have seen a more aggressive player and better defensive effort or he would have been sitting sometimes on the bench as well. It is why if you are talented you come to a program like Kentucky where you are challenged in practice every day by other talented players. You are not going to develop at a program like LSU versus Kentucky.

The other issue is his grades. I don't know the rules either except that the semester isn't over yet, so I imagine that is the out for LSU not suspending him. Didn't we ultimately have a similar situation with Orton?

Reactions: UKrazycat2
He needs one more year of college. Needs to take a class on developing some class.

He does a lot of things very well and he'll be a valuable asset to the team that picks first. Whether he becomes a superstar depends on if he can develop some offensive maneuvers. If he does he could be a top 10 player in the league.

That being said, the kid is a smarmy little turd.
the real question has nothing to do with his talent - it has to do with his work ethic. Yes, he has the talent - sometimes he's been pretty remarkable. But he also has the entitlement; he's been coddled and fawned upon. His game hasn't improved one iota over the course of this season, and he honestly doesn't act like it has to. He's going to think he'll be all that and a bag of chips when he makes his NBA team; then he's going to piss everyone off. No matter how bad the team is, you don't tick off the veterans. Simmons has spent years having everything handed to him - he's in for a rude awakening.
The only way that kid will ever be an all-star is if he grows up; and the odds aren't good, right now.

I think he is a very good player too but nothing like he has been hyped as. His character speaks for itself, he has very little. Not sure he will be a very well liked teammate in the NBA if he continues on his current path of self worship. I didn't really have many feelings about the guy before the other night but after watching him in the game and then hearing what he had to say afterwards I find myself hoping he is sort of a bust at the next level, just can't bring myself to cheer for this bum. And, I do quite often support many players from rival teams when they move on to the NBA but not this guy.

He's ineligible for POY because he didn't have the GPA score he needed.. An average of a 2.0? That's pretty dumb and not only dumb, but also didn't go to class obviously.. Could that be trouble at LSU?

the real question has nothing to do with his talent - it has to do with his work ethic. Yes, he has the talent - sometimes he's been pretty remarkable. But he also has the entitlement; he's been coddled and fawned upon. His game hasn't improved one iota over the course of this season, and he honestly doesn't act like it has to. He's going to think he'll be all that and a bag of chips when he makes his NBA team; then he's going to piss everyone off. No matter how bad the team is, you don't tick off the veterans. Simmons has spent years having everything handed to him - he's in for a rude awakening.
The only way that kid will ever be an all-star is if he grows up; and the odds aren't good, right now.
Excellent point. I think what he said about Tyler yesterday was a perfect example of that. Simmons, who shot 11 free throws, says that you can't touch Ulis, who shot 4, without it being called a foul. It's a ridiculous take, but even if you feel like that, it's petty and immature to say it to a reporter.

Being at LSU probably didn't help him any in that regard either. He's a 'god among mortals' on that team and its made him think he's going to have it that easy at the next level. On a blue blood team he would have been much more challenged and would have had to improve over the course of the year. But I guess a prima donna would rather be a big fish in a small pond.

Reactions: Bkocats
I posted after the first meeting that some of his comments sounded like a mouthy little prick. Many disagreed. That was after a win.
Now the no class comments after a loss. IMO, he's still a mouthy prick.

His problem is he has little to no heart or fight on the floor.

He disappears when his team needs him most (see the beatdown this weekend, and the Oklahoma loss)

He is not trying in his classes and that shows on the court and his cry-baby attitude after the game. How a guy that gets more than 30% of his points from the line can complain about fouls calls is laughable.

Has he improved over the course of the season? I watched a little of LSU in the OOC, just to see the hype, and Simmons seems like the same player from day 1. No knock on his talent, but he hasn't seemed to improve much. He never seemed like he wanted to put the team on his back and will them to victory, just kind of coasted along and enjoyed padding his stats. Kind of the opposite of a lot of the OND players we've seen here at UK, or even Duke.

Once their season is over I'm sure well hear a lot of things regarding his time there.

Why does everyone keep saying he isn't trying in his classes? How do you know that? I get that we don't like him and all, but I think we are being unfair. Seems to me the more obvious take is that he is as dumb as a rock. He is incapable of passing the remedial Freshman college classes that were chosen for him based upon their perceived degree of difficulty. So easy even a caveman can do it? Not always.

Well hey, I won't disparage the guy's ability. He's gonna be the #1 pick in the draft in June for a reason. He's as skilled and athletic a 6-10 guy as anyone in recent memory. On a different team and with a different coach, he's likely taking a team to a Final Four or better. He's that good. If you want to pinpoint a weakness in his game, it would be his shooting. UK was able to let him shoot wide open jumpers with no worries. But his form looks good and I fully expect his shooting will come around in time.

Having said all this, I agree with many others here. Perhaps it should have been more of a red flag when he chose LSU. I can't help but wonder if there are some improprieties going on here, to be honest. It seems he's in control of things and does what he pleases. If he were at UK or Duke, he wouldn't get away with some of this crap he's been doing at LSU. He'd be qualified for the Wooden Award if he came to UK. He'd also be further along on that jump shot. But it's clear this is what he wanted, to call the shots and do as he pleases.

And these antics during and after the game are just weak- the showboating and the comments about Ulis. He comes across as a spoiled brat and a sore loser. Again, it's clear he's calling the shots, not Johnny Jones or anyone else. I wouldn't be surprised if the truth is that he’s ineligible right now.

Reactions: jrpross
I didn't start out the year disliking Ben Simmons but now I sure do. His comments about Ullis showed no class. He was throwing meaningless behind the back passes while his team was in the process of losing a must win game to get into the NCAAs. He doesn't take care of his academic obligations and doesn't appear to give a crap. He chose to play for Coach Jones who seems like a nice guy but is completely incompetent as a coach. Simmons hasn't gotten any better over the course of the season. In fact, they've gotten worse. Some of this is on Coach Jones because he should hold Ben accountable and teach him how to play and carry himself like a winner. We see that every year with Cal's players. But Ben can do some of this on his own as well. Think about our guy Tyler and what a natural leader he is both on and off the court. Ben, I hope you figure some things out along the way but right now I'm not a fan. Enjoy the NIT.
I agree, and can't stand the kid. He has a major attitude problem. He is used to being the best athlete on the floor, but he isn't the best basketball player. He'll be in for a rude awakening in the NBA. I wonder what kind of career he will have if he doesn't change that arrogant attitude.

As the great Jay-Z once said "You can pay school, but you can't buy class". Simmons is a jerk.

It would appear the kid needs to grow up a little, and that's going happen real quick in about 4 months.

ADVERTISEMENT