ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Roberts update on Jarren Williams, who got LSU offer

Thanks for sharing this link Smashcat. I sure hope Williams sticks with us. GO CATS!!

I'm glad to see others share the staff's opinion, and don't blame him for staying engaged in the process.

You are not truly committed if you keep taking visits. It just means you have a good chance of signing the kid. A commitment today does not mean the same thing it did 20 years ago. Regardless, he's a stud QB and I hope we keep him!

If only rivals were as smart as all the sec coaching staff who have offered him he might get a 4th or 5th star. Or more likely it is bad for business to do so to a longtime commit of lowly UK.

As long as we win in 2017 he stays with us, because we have Hinshaw and we have a qb spot vacated by a senior and open for 2018. All the other sec offers can't say those 2 things.

You are not truly committed if you keep taking visits. It just means you have a good chance of signing the kid. A commitment today does not mean the same thing it did 20 years ago. Regardless, he's a stud QB and I hope we keep him!

Supposedly visiting UK for spring game.

Reactions: why_not_kentucky

Exactly. No offense to the kid, but a commitment while looking at other options gets you divorced in real life.

I can believe he is committed. I am excited that he is committed. That said with the realization that signing date is the day we actually marry.

Reactions: Jbapp1978
I know it is. Thus it's difficult to agree he's committed if he is shopping
I've made this point before, but we can ask the coaching staff to only recruit players that are sure to have UK as their best offer, or let them recruit the absolute best players they can get. I prefer they follow the latter strategy.

I've made this point before, but we can ask the coaching staff to only recruit players that are sure to have UK as their best offer, or let them recruit the absolute best players they can get. I prefer they follow the latter strategy.

The alternative is Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech, if a kid is committed Tech and takes a visit to another school, he pulls their offer. Tech never has a highly ranked class, but they put some decent teams on the field. He tells them to take all the visits they want before they commit, but once the commit he stops recruiting that position and he expects them to stop looking around.

Reactions: Jbapp1978
The alternative is Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech, if a kid is committed Tech and takes a visit to another school, he pulls their offer. Tech never has a highly ranked class, but they put some decent teams on the field. He tells them to take all the visits they want before they commit, but once the commit he stops recruiting that position and he expects them to stop looking around.
That's his appraoch but I like Stoops' better. We've lost a few kids but UK has done a remarkable job keeping kids on board even with things not going well on the field.

That's his appraoch but I like Stoops' better. We've lost a few kids but UK has done a remarkable job keeping kids on board even with things not going well on the field.

It makes it easier when you don't really go after the kids with tons of offers. Now I realize GT beat us last season, but as a general rule they don't recruit very well, seldom even recruit high level kids. This is a Paul Johnson thing, coaches before him went after all the top kids, but Johnson realizes his offense isn't very attractive to kids hoping to get to the NFL so he recruits kids who are a little less known. They run that damn triple option and use all those cut blocks and when he has a qb who can run it they are a serious threat to beat you inspite of not being as talented on paper. But signing day can't be a very exciting time for a Tech fan. I wish it was when a kid committed he stopped looking, but the recruiting industry, namely people like us, has brought so much attention to it these kids are smart enough to realize the power they have.

Wouldn't it be an interesting turn if you could only sign so many stars in a class instead of bodies, say 75-80, then we be complaining about so and so having too many stars, lol.

Reactions: SanAntonioCat
And now with the facilities in place! Add that plus the returning players from a bowl team who finished strong and a schedule that could produce something special! I am sorry but I feel it! We are close!

Reactions: martycat1
I am glad he is committed, and he can rest easy in knowing he won't be alone in being a quality recruit for the '17 class at UK.

This is going to be a very special class.

The sweepstakes for talent is simple reality. The main change in the last 5 years is that UK is in the same sweepstakes as most SEC programs, and not just MAC and mid-major level programs.

Reactions: martycat1
I am as excited about our other more highly ranked QB's as I am Jarren Williams. Along with JW we will have quite a stable of QB's.

I also believe that JW is under-rated and will at some point get a significant bump from some of the talent assessing entities out there.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
apparently he just got a Florida offer to throw onto the stack

Don't want to put words in anyone's mouth but didn't Rowland hint if he makes it thru March committed he'll likely shut down recruiting and stay committed to UK? Also, isn't he due for UK's spring game?

Don't want to put words in anyone's mouth but didn't Rowland hint if he makes it thru March committed he'll likely shut down recruiting and stay committed to UK? Also, isn't he due for UK's spring game?

he plans on attending the spring game don't know anything about his status other than he is tweeting that he is solid to UK.

Reactions: mrschwump
Quickly turning into the most wanted 5.6 3* in Rivals history.

Something about that rating doesn't match how much he is being sought after. Big time. He is being recruited as a top 10 QB OVERALL.

Reactions: DhuffUK
Quickly turning into the most wanted 5.6 3* in Rivals history.

Something about that rating doesn't match how much he is being sought after. Big time. He is being recruited as a top 10 QB OVERALL.
He played for a bad team and put up like 2800 yards with 25 td 2 int 63 percent completion. He's the real deal. Not sure where that ranking is from but it's not from watching his highlights.

He played for a bad team and put up like 2800 yards with 25 td 2 int 63 percent completion. He's the real deal. Not sure where that ranking is from but it's not from watching his highlights.

After watching what Watson was able to do, and other dual threat guys the last couple of years I think every program is looking to going to dual threat guys. We have always run a pro style friendly offense for a qb. Shockley is the last one we had and he was a 1 year starter. We have put out about 15 offers to dual threat guys all over the country, surprisely for whatever reason Williams isn't one of them. We have 2 scholarshipped qbs on the roster and are struggling to get serious interest from qbs in the 18 class. I thought Fromm was a sure bet to RS this year and only play if Eason went down, but not so sure now. But getting some good reports about Chubb, he is making the same cuts he could make pre injury, exciting news for a UGA fan. Chubb is the best kid on our team, but I wish for him and his family he had chosen to get paid, I have nightmares of having to play UT in that cow pasture they call Neyland.

After watching what Watson was able to do, and other dual threat guys the last couple of years I think every program is looking to going to dual threat guys. We have always run a pro style friendly offense for a qb. Shockley is the last one we had and he was a 1 year starter. We have put out about 15 offers to dual threat guys all over the country, surprisely for whatever reason Williams isn't one of them. We have 2 scholarshipped qbs on the roster and are struggling to get serious interest from qbs in the 18 class. I thought Fromm was a sure bet to RS this year and only play if Eason went down, but not so sure now. But getting some good reports about Chubb, he is making the same cuts he could make pre injury, exciting news for a UGA fan. Chubb is the best kid on our team, but I wish for him and his family he had chosen to get paid, I have nightmares of having to play UT in that cow pasture they call Neyland.
Only thing I read between Georgia and Williams was that Williams said he did not like Georgia growing up. I know Georgia staff had reached out at that time.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
Well I guess we can't depend on his coach to shut it down. It's gonna be a battle but I'd like to hear Jarran not his coach who sounds like a buddy of mclewain.

Only thing I read between Georgia and Williams was that Williams said he did not like Georgia growing up. I know Georgia staff had reached out at that time.

That goes a long way in explaining things, no point in wasting time or resources if there is no chance. Looking like we are going to turn the heat up on Avery Jones who is committed to tOSU and a kid committed to Auburn. Kirby will no doubt show him how Urban's qbs have fared in the NFL, but tOSU is his dream school, probably won't matter.

Well I guess we can't depend on his coach to shut it down. It's gonna be a battle but I'd like to hear Jarran not his coach who sounds like a buddy of mclewain.

Georgia has lots of coaches from other states, we have alot more than I like from Alabama, teacher salary is a good bit higher, coaching supplements are higher and better retirement system, so they apply for all openings. Several HS coaches are furnished new vehicles and push 175K in annual salary, depending on the strength of the booster clubs, but if you one of those you better win big and often.

That is why we have so many coaches in Georgia pushing kids to programs outside the state, Auburn, Bama, Tennessee, Clemson, FSU, UF and S. Carolina are all represented pretty heavy instate, the Mississippi schools. We also have tons of kids with ties to LSU, relocating after Katrina I suppose,

That goes a long way in explaining things, no point in wasting time or resources if there is no chance. Looking like we are going to turn the heat up on Avery Jones who is committed to tOSU and a kid committed to Auburn. Kirby will no doubt show him how Urban's qbs have fared in the NFL, but tOSU is his dream school, probably won't matter.

Georgia has lots of coaches from other states, we have alot more than I like from Alabama, teacher salary is a good bit higher, coaching supplements are higher and better retirement system, so they apply for all openings. Several HS coaches are furnished new vehicles and push 175K in annual salary, depending on the strength of the booster clubs, but if you one of those you better win big and often.

That is why we have so many coaches in Georgia pushing kids to programs outside the state, Auburn, Bama, Tennessee, Clemson, FSU, UF and S. Carolina are all represented pretty heavy instate, the Mississippi schools. We also have tons of kids with ties to LSU, relocating after Katrina I suppose,
Yea South recruiting is crazy. I know Jordan Griffin had coaches on the phone after his fax was in. Same with Corker. I think that's why UK has been very selective in Georgia. We have not got many but the ones we have snagged I really like. Griffin Corker Carter Boom

Reactions: Deeeefense
The only thing of concern to me is his high school coach. He sounds like a coach who wants his QB to strongly consider or sign with Florida. I hope we can keep him in the fold and I am confident our staff can

Let's hope once this kid decides to shut down his recruitment, the kid will be the one to decide where to sign and not his high school coach. If it's the kid, I like our odds. He obviously liked Kentucky early on and we have not done anything to change that opinion. He looks like a future big time QB. I know some of our fans freak out when kids that are committed to us decide to visit elsewhere, but the truth is, those are the type of recruits we have to keep bringing in if we want a chance at winning football games in the SEC. I'm sure Stoops could find loyal kids to recruit that wouldn't entertain offers elsewhere, but those kids don't have a chance to look at other schools in the SEC. Stoops seems to sign more of these kids than he loses, so until this kid makes it official he's headed elsewhere, I have to believe it will be Kentucky when signing day is here. I'm just happy we have recruits that SEC schools want to take from us. Its a very good sign, even if we lose a few every so often.

Let's hope once this kid decides to shut down his recruitment, the kid will be the one to decide where to sign and not his high school coach. If it's the kid, I like our odds. He obviously liked Kentucky early on and we have not done anything to change that opinion. He looks like a future big time QB. I know some of our fans freak out when kids that are committed to us decide to visit elsewhere, but the truth is, those are the type of recruits we have to keep bringing in if we want a chance at winning football games in the SEC. I'm sure Stoops could find loyal kids to recruit that wouldn't entertain offers elsewhere, but those kids don't have a chance to look at other schools in the SEC. Stoops seems to sign more of these kids than he loses, so until this kid makes it official he's headed elsewhere, I have to believe it will be Kentucky when signing day is here. I'm just happy we have recruits that SEC schools want to take from us. Its a very good sign, even if we lose a few every so often.

Exactly, you could get commits from guys no one else was interested in and not have to worry about them taking visits. Doesn't thrill me when ours take visits, but everyone stuck last class and a couple had quite a bit of pressure on them to switch and too late visits to other schools, one from Ga who S.Carolina wanted pretty bad and another from Pa. who took a last weekend visit to PSU. We even got a couple to flip to us from Bama, Jake Fromm a 5* qb and Nitori Johnson a 4* OG both committed to Bama early and changed their mind. Happens to everyone, Westry was a late flip to UK from AU I believe after a UK commit flipped to AU. UK came out smelling like a rose on that swap.

Our class won't be as good this year, instate talent is down everywhere except qb, 3 of the top guys are qbs and we aren't getting either of them so we will have to go out of state more. 19 is looking to be the best year in Georgia for talent in the last 15 years, LB, OL, DB, RB, DL are all talented and deep, QB talent is a little down from the last 3 years.

I have to admit, @Grumpyolddawg I'm pretty envious of Ga having as much talent as they do. I really wish Kentucky had that kind of home-grown talent. We don't have a lot, and many of them are in Louisville, and they are tainted as UL fans from jump.

I try not to get too worked up over recruiting 11 months before signing day, but I have to admit...Mac Jones was my Wisconsin loss last year. I shut down the Twitter and logged of message boards for almost a month. It was a gut punch. I'm glad the staff landed Clark, though, as I think he's a leader with a strong arm...but I think Jones would have been a difference maker here. But, I'm not willing to trade having Dawson as OC to keep Jones as QB.

With that said, I'm torn on Williams. Our staff is staying intact, and from what I've read he absolutely LOVES Hinshaw, so I see no reason he flips...unless he's attracted to shiny objects. Hopefully we can put that UF streak to bed this year and start showing recruits (and the nation) that UK FB isn't your father's UK FB.

ADVERTISEMENT