ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Roberts on mood in UK basketball office

Ya know it's weird........when Cal first game here I think many people given what happened at Memphis and UK thought the same thing would happen here. As years went by and nothing happened, things changed drastically.

It's at the point where I would be SHOCKED if Cal was cheating.

Last edited:
Ya know it's weird........when Cal first game here I think many people given what happened at Memphis and UK thought the same thing would happen here. As years went by and nothing happened, things changed drastically.

It's at the point where I would be SHOCKED if Cal got caught cheating.

Kentucky and Cal were smart enough to back off recruiting the Bowen kid.......

It's at the point where I would be SHOCKED if Cal got caught cheating.
I think a better response is I would be shocked if Cal was cheating.

As Matt Jones has always said--they've got Cal under the microscope 24/7. If he was cheating, he'd have been caught by now.

With all due respect, this is irrelevant. Who is "they." The NCAA? College basketball reporters? In the NCAA's case, they don't have the will to really push this, despite what many think. And the reporters don't have near the resources that the FBI does - not to mention they now have people willing to say or do anything to save their own skin.

In no way am I saying that Cal or UK is doing anything wrong. But those who take comfort in some idea that we couldn't have done anything wrong or it would be known by now are being naive and greatly underestimating the resources that will now be thrown at this investigation.

With all due respect, this is irrelevant. Who is "they." The NCAA? College basketball reporters? In the NCAA's case, they don't have the will to really push this, despite what many think. And the reporters don't have near the resources that the FBI does - not to mention they now have people willing to say or do anything to save their own skin.

In no way am I saying that Cal or UK is doing anything wrong. But those who take comfort in some idea that we couldn't have done anything wrong or it would be known by now are being naive and greatly underestimating the resources that will now be thrown at this investigation.

The FBI has plenty to investigate at the schools already implicated. I would say that their next step is to get some of those already arrested to turn on some bigger fish, like Pearl. I have to agree with others. With Cal's perceived rep, we have been squeaky clean. Will they do some investigation, maybe, but, without probable cause, most likely not.

Reactions: JoeBeeHall

That's BS!! Trammell, Forde, and Marble Mouth all had ageless vendettas with Cal and were deeply inveatigating everything from Walls petty crime to Patterson's care to the mystery AD payoff. Not to mention Tipton! The FBI goes are real possibilities and Cal and the administration do not appear to fall off the path. Pitino, Jurdick and Petrino. have been corrupt for decades,

So since Cal has arrived, we have discovered from our rivals to "accuse someone of doing what you're doing."

Duke- Lance Thomas $30k in cash and $68k loan for jewelry.

UNC- "Carolina Way" turns out to be 20 years of academic fraud, Wheels for Heels, Will Graves living in Roy's house, Hansbroro's mom's benefits.

Louisville- Hookers for recruits, Kevin Ware and Chane Behanen driving booster's cars & selling rings, paying a recruit $100k to commit.

Last edited:
If Cal really is clean, and if this thing does get bigger, then this is actually a huge and positive development for him in terms of his coaching legacy because it would really help rehabilitate the image that some have of him, whether right or wrong.

So since Cal has arrived, we have discovered from our rivals to "accuse someone of doing what you're doing."

Duke- Lance Thomas $30k in cash and $68k loan for jewelry.

UNC- "Carolina Way" turns out to be 20 years of academic fraud, Heels for Wheels, Will Graves living in Roy's house, Hansbroro's mom's benefits.

Louisville- Hookers for recruits, Kevin Ware and Chane Behanen driving booster's cars & selling rings, paying a recruit $100k to commit.
Yep, that about sums it up !!

If Cal really is clean, and if this thing does get bigger, then this is actually a huge and positive development for him in terms of his coaching legacy because it would really help rehabilitate the image that some have of him, whether right or wrong.
sadly i think some folks will always say well cal is just so good at cheating even the FBI cant caught him

Reactions: Mr_GG

I understand what you're saying, but I think people that believe he cheats now will simply say he got lucky and wasn't caught or UK was too big to bring down. Haters will be haters.

Ben Roberts‏@BenRobertsHL 3h3 hours ago
Replying to @FrankieCal1980
I've been told the mood at UK is along the lines of, "We're not doing anything wrong, and they know that" ... They seem unconcerned.

That sounds good. Hope it is true.

Sandy Bell seems to have been given a great amount of power by Barnhart. UL fans have made fun of her for years. But, I am betting that they wish they had a Sandy Bell about right now. Not that such measures guarantee no harm, but the emphasis on the rules is important and is cultural. It either exists or it does not.

Sandy Bell seems to have been given a great amount of power by Barnhart. UL fans have made fun of her for years. But, I am betting that they wish they had a Sandy Bell about right now. Not that such measures guarantee no harm, but the emphasis on the rules is important and is cultural. It either exists or it does not.
Amen, Caveman....AMEN!

A friend of mine has connections to the women's staff. He asked one of the coaches, around Cal's second or third year here, if they thought he was dirty. The reply he got was if he cheats he is crazy because top kids ring his phone off the hook wanting to come to UK. They said that he can choose who he wants and doesn't have to cheat to get them.

It's one thing coming from internet posters but those guys share the same office space in the Craft Center and probably know what is going on to an extent. For them to say that holds a lot of weight to me.

Reactions: westerncat

If they had a Sandy Bell she would have suedsome one in the athletic office for sexual harassment

I agree. While some will always see him as a cheater, the bigger and bigger this thing gets and Cal isn't involved, the better he comes out looking

Keep in mind, year after year after year you hear top recruits basically begging for a UK offer, including UK in final list even without a scholarship or if UK stopped recruiting them. You wanna know why more times than not Cal passes on these kids? Its coming to fruition. Its because they have dirty handlers or shoe money surrounding their recruitment. We've always wondered why. Now we know. And guess where most of those players go... Arizona, Kansas, Duke..... I hope more stuff comes out and I pray we are clean.. I think its safe to assume a lot of top programs would feel the wrath of this investigation and in Cal I trust.

Some idiot on the radio said today "Just watch Cal will be leaving for a NBA job soon"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT