ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Howland: "Tennessee Is The Best Team In The SEC"

A

anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y

https://apnews.com/efc964bdbf2440c98b5d2faff7d980a6
The Latest: Howland says Tennessee team to beat in SEC
34 minutes ago

1 of 7

Mississippi State coach Ben Howland speaks to media during the SEC men's NCAA college basketball media day, Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2018, in Birmingham, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — The Latest on Southeastern Conference media day (all times Eastern):

2:50 p.m.

Mississippi State coach Ben Howland says the media picked the wrong team to win the Southeastern Conference men’s basketball title.

Nothing against Kentucky, he just sees the returning talent at defending co-regular season champion Tennessee — and believes the Volunteers are the team to beat.

“They’re the best team in our league going into the season, in my opinion, because of all the experience returning,” Howland said Wednesday at SEC media day.

Howland says “there’s no doubt they’re the team to beat in our conference.”

I have a different theory on why UT isn’t the best team. Last season UT was picked at the bottom and no one expected them. By the end of the season everyone began to figure them out. We got them in the SECT and they were an early out in the NCAaT. This year there is no sneaking for UT: everyone knows their game and they are very beatable. They have good players but with Barnes coaching them they hit their ceiling last year.

They are a very good team. Every year Kentucky has many unknown issues because of the turn-over with talent and relying on Freshman. However, what is forgotten is that this years' team actually has, for Kentucky, veteran players who could start at 4 positions; Travis, PJ, Green, and Nick Richards. Now Richards was lousy last year and despite how he looked much better in the Bahamas games, we have to see what holds true. Hack a P.J. strategy, will that work or can he reliably hit free throws in key moments? Green? Good player but outstanding? Don't know. Travis? Well,how will he fit in, and can he move better and make quicker decisions than how he appeared in 3 of those Bahama games. Hagans? Very young? Mongomery? Who knows how he will do against physical players.

Well, I could go on, but the point is that there again are those unknowns and history has shown that young Kentucky squads don't always live up to the hype often when on the road. When you play at Kentucky the pressure is on you every game. Tenn and others can sometimes perform better when they are not being hyped as Auburn did a couple seasons ago. Plus, does Cal live and die based upon the next SEC game or is his focus on the end of the season?

Thanks Ben. Much appreciated. [thumb2]
do-hang-quartet-bulletin-boards_-800x800.jpg

34 minutes ago

1 of 7

Mississippi State coach Ben Howland speaks to media during the SEC men's NCAA college basketball media day, Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2018, in Birmingham, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — The Latest on Southeastern Conference media day (all times Eastern):

Mississippi State coach Ben Howland says the media picked the wrong team to win the Southeastern Conference men’s basketball title.

Nothing against Kentucky, he just sees the returning talent at defending co-regular season champion Tennessee — and believes the Volunteers are the team to beat.

“They’re the best team in our league going into the season, in my opinion, because of all the experience returning,” Howland said Wednesday at SEC media day.

Nothing wrong with him expressing his opinion and that’s all he’s doing. On the surface, his reasoning will make logical sense to some. He wasn’t disrespectful to Kentucky in the least.

I respect his opinion but let's not forget the reality of last year. Yes, the SEC has gotten better over the last couple of years, but last year's Kentucky team was one of the 3 worst Cal's had in his time here. This Kentucky team is going to be one of his 3 best. This team is better offensively, isn't afraid to bang with the physical players of UT, has dogs on defense, and will be able to shoot the 3 ball effectively. It will not resemble anything that we saw last year.

Well and your point is? UT will be good. The only thing different is that they won't be surprising anyone this season. Barnes is a good coach and Williams and co are good players. Going to be tough each time we play them this season.

Nothing wrong with him expressing his opinion and that’s all he’s doing. On the surface, his reasoning will make logical sense to some. He wasn’t disrespectful to Kentucky in the least.
Where in my post did I say he was being disrespectful towards Kentucky? Jump to conclusions much?

Tennessee is pretty tough when Williams is allowed to foul, hack, and chop 18 quadrillion times a game.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
It's one thing to say he thinks they are the best that is fine, but no doubt they are the best? That is a little much considering UK will be number 1 preseason lol.

Just a little bark from ex-California coach to make a wrong observation.
He knows that he is not going to win anything, so he picks another loser over UK.

Reactions: Mr_GG and Hoopcatjc
I have a feeling Tennessee caught lightning in a bottle last year and may not live up to a top 10 ranking this season.

34 minutes ago

1 of 7

This jackass got run off at UCLA his last chance is the armpit of the SEC who cares what he thinks :cool2:

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
UT will have a lot of trouble with our length and the quickness and tenacity of our guards. Last year the one thing they had over us was physicality. They won't even have that this year.

When Ben said "no doubt" he was implicitly speaking for himself.
I've got zero problem with that...and actually am very pleased that the Conference is improving.

34 minutes ago

OK but I like my team.

1 of 7

UT will have a lot of trouble with our length and the quickness and tenacity of our guards. Last year the one thing they had over us was physicality. They won't even have that this year.
Exactly. Their one area of dominance is totally nullified by this UK team. In fact, I think it is now in our favor, not to mention the change in our shooting. Ben is going to be in for a rude awakening - so is UT.

Hello,

I'm Ben Howland and I want to say something completely crazy and untrue. But if I sound sincere when I say it, people will spend a few days talking about me or my team.

Thanks for finally give us some attention. It may be the last time this season.

34 minutes ago

1 of 7

This must mean he has given up on beating us.

Dont like it.......attend the UK / Tenn games and cheer like a maniac for UK to beat the dog p*ss out of Tenn to prove him wrong then also do the same for our game against Miss State so we can show him just how wrong he was personally.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
against the same team that thumped another top 25 team named Michigan. and by same team I mean also all the players that played against us , played against them
Which team of the 4 did that exactly, Michigan also lost some of their top players, especially the big German dude to the NBA.

Which team of the 4 did that exactly, Michigan also lost some of their top players, especially the big German dude to the NBA.
Bemax.. the best team we played and smoked them like a BBQ piggie

Also I'm going on the fact Michigan is a preseason top 25 program this year too. Maybe they are way over rated but it is what it is... We were impressive in the bahammas

ADVERTISEMENT