BBN lost a huge fan

Discussion in 'Rupp Rafters - Basketball Forum' started by Ben101er, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Ben101er

Ben101er Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

My Dad passed away, early this morning. He introduced me to UK and taught me to love the Cats. He joined the Committee of 101 with me, in 1983, and he worked until his health would no longer allow it, a couple of years ago. Over the years, he traveled to the Great Alaska Shootout, to the Maui Classic, Puerto Rico, New York, New Orleans, and many other places to cheer on his beloved Cats. I sat next to his bed, on Saturday, and even though he could not speak, and was in and out of consciousness, we had the game on. I knew it was the final time that we would be together for a game. He and I watched approximately 750 live UK games together, and I wouldn't trade the memories for anything. He lived in Louisville all his life, and detested the Cardinals, and everything wrong with college sports, that he thought they represented. I already miss him and I guess I always will. All of you who still have a loved one who loves the Cats, call them and just talk BBN with them. You won't have them forever.

2. Kentucky fan 1989

Kentucky fan 1989 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for your loss.

Smashcat likes this.
  3. wildcatwelder

wildcatwelder All-SEC
    Expand Collapse

So sorry for your loss Ben.

4. kev69

kev69 All-American
    Expand Collapse

My condolences.

I know what you're going through.

My Mom is dying of cancer. On top of that she also has ALS. So, she can't walk, or talk, but has full mental function., which I think makes it worse. I wish The Lord would just let her go in her sleep and end her misery.

Oh well, hang in there. It sucks.

5. ace on the river

ace on the river Freshman
    Expand Collapse

So sorry for your loss

6. BassProCat

BassProCat Blue Chip Prospect
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for your loss. RIP to your dad.

7. Montana81

Montana81 All-SEC
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

My deepest condolences friend.

8. KINGBEAST

KINGBEAST Junior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

My heart goes out to you. I went thru the same thing and I get it my friend. Strength to you and your family.

9. ORCAT

ORCAT All-American
    Expand Collapse

So very sorry to hear of the loss of your dad. Sounds like you two had a great relationship and shared some incredible memories. Hang on to those and you will remember him with fondness and smiles rather than sadness. I lost my mom and dad but still remember all the great times we had in life and that gets me through very well. Prayers to you and your family.

UKCatWoman likes this.
  10. Ben101er

Ben101er Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Prayers for you and your family. I know how hard it is, since I also lost my Mom to cancer, this past May. Losing both parents within 9 months is just really tough.

11. swflakat

swflakat Junior
    Expand Collapse

So sorry for your loss. I'd imagine my kids will one day say I was a big UK fan and bury me with a blue blanket and my '80 ring on my finger.

12. kev69

kev69 All-American
    Expand Collapse

Thanks,.

I'm praying for you. Losing both parents in such a short time is just too much for anyone.

I hope you have support.

13. kybassfan

kybassfan Senior
    Expand Collapse

Hate to hear that Ben. I will say that my dad has been gone many years. Some of my best memories came from listening to the Cats via Cawood and watch when we had the time. You will always have those same experiences. Old Cats fans die, but they never seem to completely go away.

14. mdlUK.1

mdlUK.1 All-American
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for your loss. Losing a parent is always tough.

15. tHeFeVeR_23

Expand Collapse

Sorry for your loss. Prayers for peace and comfort for you and your family.

16. KWilt43atbuzz

KWilt43atbuzz All-American
    Expand Collapse

Prayers to Jesus for your comfort.

17. Chief Paducah

Expand Collapse

So sorry for your loss. I lost my mom in 2010 2 days after U.K. lost to West Virginia in the Elite Eight. Nothing can make up for the loss of a parent. Your family will be in my prayers.

18. Deacon Jim

Deacon Jim Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

So sorry for you Ben. Sounds like your Dad was a fine man. I`ll keep you in my prayers. Also Kev my prayers go out to you. My brother in law is the president of the no. ky. A L S.league. He lost his mother to it a couple of years ago. Hopefully someday they will come up with a way to treat this.

19. Ben101er

Ben101er Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. I started out listening to Cawood on WHAS, when he was with them, before becoming the voice of the Wildcat network. I believe it was around 1962.

20. BBUK

BBUK All-American
    Expand Collapse

God Bless you and your family Sir. I will remember you and your family in prayer.

21. kev69

kev69 All-American
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Deacon.

22. BBUK

BBUK All-American
    Expand Collapse

It has been many years for me but I understand what you are going through. God Bless you and your family. The Lord gives and the Lord takes away, blessed be the name of the Lord.

BlueSince92 likes this.
  23. Bluest Member

Bluest Member All-American
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for your loss,I'll keep your family in my prayers,and yes,you are right,love your family each and every day,because tomorrow is never promised.

24. G-PIP

Expand Collapse

Very sorry for your loss, Ben101er. Also, wish the best for your situation, kev69.

25. Catapult

Catapult Junior
    Expand Collapse

My sincere sympathies. My Dad is 94 and ready to go himself. Trust your Dad went in peace.

26. 55wildcat

55wildcat Senior
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for your lose Ben..words can never describe what we go through when we lose a parent..God Speed my friend and remember he is now hanging out with Cawood, Adolff, Bill Kreigley, and in very good hands of heavenly BBN..

spotter34 likes this.
  27. stoneycat_20

stoneycat_20 All-SEC
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for your loss.I know what it's like to lose dad.Lost mine 2 years ago age 69 .He too was a huge cats fan..He never missed a game...Had a stroke and a week later a massive heart attack and lived another week.

28. JoeBeeHall

JoeBeeHall Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Great memories with family listening to and watching UK it is a "FAMILY TRADITION" .
    May you and yours have peace .

29. UKCATSFREAK

UKCATSFREAK Junior
    Expand Collapse

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. You literally brought tears to my eyes as I read your post and remembered my grandfather (who was like a father) and the many games that we shared together. I miss him just as much today as the day I lost him on July 3rd, 2015.

We all come here to share in our beloved Cats and although we fight like cats and dogs sometimes, times like this are a reminder that THIS is what's truly special about our program. It the connection it brings between family and friends. It really does define who we are and I will always cherish the amazing memories that I have shared with family over the years. I'm so proud that my son is as passionate as I am at 9 yrs old. I find comfort in the fact that I know this tradition and birthright will carry on to the next generation.

BassProCat likes this.
  30. allabouttheUK

allabouttheUK Junior
    Expand Collapse

Very sorry for your loss. Hang onto those memories, and hopefully they will provide you some comfort.

31. PikeCat15

Expand Collapse

Prayers for you and your family.

32. Jazzycat

Jazzycat All-American
    Expand Collapse

So sorry to hear about your father. Great memories for you when you miss him. My 90 year old father still lives and follows the Cats. He had bypass surgery in Feb 2002 and almost died on the operating table. When he was coming out of recovery, his first words were, "Are the Cats on?" We knew he was going to make it.

God be with you and your family as you remember your Dad. May your memories be happy ones.

BassProCat likes this.
  33. UKGrad93

UKGrad93 All-American
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for your loss Ben. I still remember the day my dad went to be with the Lord. I missed the game due to traveling back home that night. UK lost to South Carolina (2010).

34. docholiday51

docholiday51 All-American
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for your loss,those of us who have family memories tied to the Big Blue understand how deep the emotions run.I am sure the memories of all those games will be a comfort for the rest of your days.

The pain will pass but the memories will stay with you.I hope you have someone that you can pass them along to that will understand what they mean. and why they are important.

UKCATSFREAK likes this.
  35. jarms24

jarms24 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Thoughts and prayers for you and your family!

36. railroadkat_1

railroadkat_1 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

So sad to hear about your loss. Please accept my condolences. I said a prayer for you and your family
    . You too Kev!

I lost my father in1998! I was at the SEC tournament in Memphis when I got the news if I wanted to see him I should head that way ASAP! I'm glad I made it but him not knowing who I was really bothered me. Talked to his Doctor and he told me my Dad would be OK and I should go home. I no sooner got home and my sister called to tell me Dad had passed. Turned around and drove the 350 mile trip and put my father to rest on my Birthday.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to turn this into my loss! Like you I loved my Father a great deal. May the Lord descend down and grant you peace and comfort! Amen

UKCATSFREAK and TnRustyCAT like this.
  37. CoachR35

CoachR35 Junior
    Expand Collapse

I am very sorry for your loss and agree, we need to cherish the time we have with our loved ones. I visited my dad this morning in his long-term health care facility (he has parkinson's and dementia). The first thing he asked me was if the Cats won and when they play again. I try not to take our time together for granted because I never know when our next conversation about the Cats or the Reds will be our last.

38. TnRustyCAT

TnRustyCAT Junior
    Expand Collapse

I understand how you feel. I lost my Dad ,and he was one of the biggest UK fans whom ever lived! He was the reason my family are such UK fanatics! I have missed him every day since he passed away, and no human can replace the love of a loving, and great DAD. I feel for you Ben. PRAYERS for you and your family, and may he rest in peace... :pray:
    I lost my mother just a few years later. :cry:

railroadkat_1 likes this.
  39. ORCAT10

ORCAT10 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Sorry about your loss. Prayers sent to you and your family.

40. KA4Prez

KA4Prez All-American
    Expand Collapse

Ben, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm going to call my dad and tell him I love him right now.

UKCATSFREAK likes this.