ADVERTISEMENT

BBN- How are we doing?

Looks like Penny has at least the top 3 scorers back from last years 21-13 team. IDK but having a record somewhere close to that should be the initial goal.

Reactions: Col. Angus
The rule is 19 in the same calendar year as the draft or one year removed from their original graduating class.

If James Wiseman spends this year in college, his graduating class will still be finishing high school. It's why all the kids you see reclassify are kids who have been held back for sports at some point.

It’s “and” not “or.”

Most of it makes sense but I think wiseman is Memphis bound and the decommitt by Jeffries solidifies that.
I don’t understand this thinking at all. Wiseman and Jeffries are AAU teammates and friends. But how often does that arrangement result in two players going to the same college team together? So, how could Jeffries’ decommitment “solidify” Wiseman to Memphis?

In fact, I haven’t seen any reason to believe Wiseman even cares where Jeffries signs. Did Wiseman commit to UK after Jeffries committed? No. Does Wiseman even discuss his recruitment with Jeffries? Not according to Jeffries. When asked who he wants to play with in college, Wiseman said Tyrese Maxey. So I don’t know where Wiseman will sign, but I’m pretty sure it isn’t “solidified” yet. I take everything I read here with a grain of salt, but I believe UK is still the best bet for Wiseman if he uses his head. And I believe his mother will make him do that.

It's been a few months since I've posted, thought I would check in and see how the BBN is doing.

I've been on the road the last month covering nine states, and managed to somehow blow tires in two rentals long on the way. I will be headed out of the country later in the month to see some kids for the first time! I'm very excited to travel aboard.

Now, I'll share with you some gossip. Friendly reminder, let things play out! My posts seem to age like fine wine...

Now here are gossip around that will end up being true or not true...

1. DJ Jeffries will be at Memphis. Here is what basically happened, DJ was going to visit Memphis while committed, Cal didn't like it and told him if he wanted to visit then he needed to commit.

If you read my post from late March, I said I wouldn't be surprised if he decommitted. Here is the reason I thought that: Penny wasn't going to stop recruiting him, and their relationship was borderline better than Wiseman's. Penny was going to UK and DJ was delievered to UK before Memphis happened. Well I'll post more later on that...

This didn't come as a shock for the UK Staff, and I don't think any sleep is being lost.

DJ is a good player, but he is a tweener. I think the game is going more for offense and shot making, which is why I think you'll end up with the KY boy Allen, and Whitney.

2. Whitney- Shocking I know, but he's going to be a Cat sooner than later. Basically, all I have heard on him is that he's worked for this UK offer for a long time, and his camp has been in contact with both Devin Booker and John Wall.

Side note- John Wall does a lot of recruiting help for Coach Cal. Probably the biggest help of any NBA Wildcats.

Whitney is the type of player you want. He is a late bloomer with a dog mentality and isn't entitled to the five star status. He's going to work out, no way he's a bust.

3. Wiseman... shew this will be a recruitment that may last forever and be a classic. I truly think no one really knows because he doesn't know. From my accounts, Mom loves UK and her friend Joel but we have several family members that are all in on Penny.

I truly think if he decided today, it would be UK. I think that's where his heart is, but as a poster alluded the pressure of Memphis for an entire school year will be very tough to overcome.

Now, when you play for a coach they can only help you so much. In my opinion, and what is being pushed by some pro-UK folks is that he's already learned from Penny, how about you learn from a HofF coach in Coach Cal.

4. I posted it before it (didn't happen) but Penny was coming to UK, and Barbee was moving on. I was asked not to mention Penny by name because they didn't want any type of hype to start brewing. Which is why I said NBA player and not a name specifically.

Penny successful used the Cal offer as leverage and got Tubby out. I think Cal and Penny are fine, but not exactly buddies anymore after that.

Basically, Penny was going to deliver DJ and James and was going to stick it out 2-3 year until a good enough job opened up. Memphis opening up was a perfect storm. It's a business and we are where we are.

I don't get a lot from UK-based sources, but this was a very rare exception.

5. Carey- Dude is a beast, I see a bigger Julius Randle bully type guy. UK/Duke/Miami. UK would be last right now, but it's not an impossible climb. Carey's dad is an NBA guy, and Cal talks money better than anyone. I think this is pretty open. Nike or any shoes aren't deeply involved in this one, Dad is pretty awesome. Would be a UK type of parent you'd want.

6. Nike is more of an enemy than friend in the grassroot and I still don't exactly know why? Maybe ther was some shoe deals gone bad? Maybe Cal doesn't deal with the runners? I am curious if anyone on the board has any history.

The last big Nike to UK was what... Randle?

7. The narrative against Cal this year will be there will be too many players returning. Go ahead and get used to it. There are about five coaches that I think are closing the gap on Coach Cal and Coach K (he's almost done). Outside of that, I still wouldn't take anyone else.

Cal is treated pretty much like Trump on MSNBC. Love him or hate him, there is a bias that will be there. I'm a moderate so I can say that haha. Those close to Cal are loyal but if you're not in that circle you can drink thet haterade.

8. I've changed my tune on Maxey. The kid is a stud and going to be quite the Wildcat, I say he's playing as big of a role as De'Aaron Fox in recruiting his class. He is a GREAT kid that other loves to play with. No ego or selfishness that most "Day one Five stars" have.

That's all I got for now... remember to give recruiting time. Things change, people change, kids change, and enviroments change. Sometimes like the Jefferies story, you have to let things play out...

These kids have so many people in their ears and usually, the kids with big circles end up going against UK. Usually, the kids with the smaller circles tend to lean UK...

Why is that? I know... and it's that obvious folks(Ya'll heard of Venmo?). Recruiting is almost as cutthroat as my haters on this board ;)

I'm only sort of kidding, take care UK Wildcat fans.

Coach

Great stuff as usual. Appreciate the recap/info. Enjoy rest of your Summer.

after what DJ's father said on memphis radio today.. according to KSR website...... EFF that kid and his father. I wish Cal never accepted his pathetic dirty arse in the first place. I would pay Cal money right now to just announce he's no longer recruiting Wiseman just so that memphis can no longer play us like this.

after what DJ's father said on memphis radio today.. according to KSR website...... EFF that kid and his father. I wish Cal never accepted his pathetic dirty arse in the first place. I would pay Cal money right now to just announce he's no longer recruiting Wiseman just so that memphis can no longer play us like this.

Wildcat, what did he say in the interview?

AlohaCat

I gotta be honest...

I'd rather move on from Wiseman too.

Stay as far away from Memphis and anyone to do with them as possible.

I gotta be honest...

I'd rather move on from Wiseman too.

Stay as far away from Memphis and anyone to do with them as possible.
Why, he suppose to come for a visit next month, if he was going to declare for Memphis, why not do it now. Most recruiting experts think this recruitment is going to last until spring, and I like our chances the longer it goes. As long there is a chance to land him, wouldn't that be more satisfying to rub it in Penny's face, (since Penny poached one out players).

Reactions: JASUN74
I don’t understand this thinking at all. Wiseman and Jeffries are AAU teammates and friends. But how often does that arrangement result in two players going to the same college team together? So, how could Jeffries’ decommitment “solidify” Wiseman to Memphis?

In fact, I haven’t seen any reason to believe Wiseman even cares where Jeffries signs. Did Wiseman commit to UK after Jeffries committed? No. Does Wiseman even discuss his recruitment with Jeffries? Not according to Jeffries. When asked who he wants to play with in college, Wiseman said Tyrese Maxey. So I don’t know where Wiseman will sign, but I’m pretty sure it isn’t “solidified” yet. I take everything I read here with a grain of salt, but I believe UK is still the best bet for Wiseman if he uses his head. And I believe his mother will make him do that.
I couldn’t have said it any better.

Reactions: Cindog28
Thanks coach. The vast majority of us love the updates.... Keep them coming when you have time and good luck this upcoming season

If you think Wiseman is going to reclassify to 2018, then the Jefferies solidifies argument doesn't jive. They wouldn't get to play with each other.
Actually they would because of Wiseman's age he would have to stay two years!

giphy.gif

Reactions: JASUN74 and BBUK
Got a chance to check this, and I couldn't find any negative posts haha!

Use the @ feature and I'll look into things for those wondering if I've heard any rumors.

The biggest take away from the three minutes I took to skim the post is that Wiseman is a big Memphis lean.

I just can't see it. UK may not be leading, but Cal with support from parts of his family and some NBA CAT connections is enough to get UK over the top.

It's good for kids to play for different types of coaches too.

It's not an impossible get.

Got a chance to check this, and I couldn't find any negative posts haha!

Use the @ feature and I'll look into things for those wondering if I've heard any rumors.

The biggest take away from the three minutes I took to skim the post is that Wiseman is a big Memphis lean.

I just can't see it. UK may not be leading, but Cal with support from parts of his family and some NBA CAT connections is enough to get UK over the top.

It's good for kids to play for different types of coaches too.

It's not an impossible get.

But he’s a pretty strong Memphis lean???

I guess I am the odd man out but I just don't think Wiseman will end up anywhere but UK. I think from all that I have read that his Mom really likes Cal and the staff. Plus as Coach pointed out look at all the players Cal and UK has put in the NBA & a lot of them was in the 1st round pick. Wiseman will I think will make a smart decision and pick UK.

5. Carey- Dude is a beast, I see a bigger Julius Randle bully type guy. UK/Duke/Miami. UK would be last right now, but it's not an impossible climb. Carey's dad is an NBA guy, and Cal talks money better than anyone. I think this is pretty open. Nike or any shoes aren't deeply involved in this one, Dad is pretty awesome. Would be a UK type of parent you'd want.

great post as always
i am assuming the statement in bold means that he wants his son in the NBA ASAP
i know his dad played FB for the "U" and later the NFL
i am sure he sees that value of making money quickly since an athletes window is relatively small

great post as always
i am assuming the statement in bold means that he wants his son in the NBA ASAP
i know his dad played FB for the "U" and later the NFL
i am sure he sees that value of making money quickly since an athletes window is relatively small

Yeah, implied as a guy who looks at the NBA first.

Also an NFL player.

Dad understanding creating a brand, marketing yourself, etc.

One of the big pushes UK should make in this recruitment. No one does it better then Cal.

Why, he suppose to come for a visit next month, if he was going to declare for Memphis, why not do it now. Most recruiting experts think this recruitment is going to last until spring, and I like our chances the longer it goes. As long there is a chance to land him, wouldn't that be more satisfying to rub it in Penny's face, (since Penny poached one out players).

Who is this Penny guy?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT