ADVERTISEMENT

BBN- How are we doing?

Aug 23, 2016
It's been a few months since I've posted, thought I would check in and see how the BBN is doing.

I've been on the road the last month covering nine states, and managed to somehow blow tires in two rentals long on the way. I will be headed out of the country later in the month to see some kids for the first time! I'm very excited to travel aboard.

Now, I'll share with you some gossip. Friendly reminder, let things play out! My posts seem to age like fine wine...

Now here are gossip around that will end up being true or not true...

1. DJ Jeffries will be at Memphis. Here is what basically happened, DJ was going to visit Memphis while committed, Cal didn't like it and told him if he wanted to visit then he needed to commit.

If you read my post from late March, I said I wouldn't be surprised if he decommitted. Here is the reason I thought that: Penny wasn't going to stop recruiting him, and their relationship was borderline better than Wiseman's. Penny was going to UK and DJ was delievered to UK before Memphis happened. Well I'll post more later on that...

This didn't come as a shock for the UK Staff, and I don't think any sleep is being lost.

DJ is a good player, but he is a tweener. I think the game is going more for offense and shot making, which is why I think you'll end up with the KY boy Allen, and Whitney.

2. Whitney- Shocking I know, but he's going to be a Cat sooner than later. Basically, all I have heard on him is that he's worked for this UK offer for a long time, and his camp has been in contact with both Devin Booker and John Wall.

Side note- John Wall does a lot of recruiting help for Coach Cal. Probably the biggest help of any NBA Wildcats.

Whitney is the type of player you want. He is a late bloomer with a dog mentality and isn't entitled to the five star status. He's going to work out, no way he's a bust.

3. Wiseman... shew this will be a recruitment that may last forever and be a classic. I truly think no one really knows because he doesn't know. From my accounts, Mom loves UK and her friend Joel but we have several family members that are all in on Penny.

I truly think if he decided today, it would be UK. I think that's where his heart is, but as a poster alluded the pressure of Memphis for an entire school year will be very tough to overcome.

Now, when you play for a coach they can only help you so much. In my opinion, and what is being pushed by some pro-UK folks is that he's already learned from Penny, how about you learn from a HofF coach in Coach Cal.

4. I posted it before it (didn't happen) but Penny was coming to UK, and Barbee was moving on. I was asked not to mention Penny by name because they didn't want any type of hype to start brewing. Which is why I said NBA player and not a name specifically.

Penny successful used the Cal offer as leverage and got Tubby out. I think Cal and Penny are fine, but not exactly buddies anymore after that.

Basically, Penny was going to deliver DJ and James and was going to stick it out 2-3 year until a good enough job opened up. Memphis opening up was a perfect storm. It's a business and we are where we are.

I don't get a lot from UK-based sources, but this was a very rare exception.

5. Carey- Dude is a beast, I see a bigger Julius Randle bully type guy. UK/Duke/Miami. UK would be last right now, but it's not an impossible climb. Carey's dad is an NBA guy, and Cal talks money better than anyone. I think this is pretty open. Nike or any shoes aren't deeply involved in this one, Dad is pretty awesome. Would be a UK type of parent you'd want.

6. Nike is more of an enemy than friend in the grassroot and I still don't exactly know why? Maybe ther was some shoe deals gone bad? Maybe Cal doesn't deal with the runners? I am curious if anyone on the board has any history.

The last big Nike to UK was what... Randle?

7. The narrative against Cal this year will be there will be too many players returning. Go ahead and get used to it. There are about five coaches that I think are closing the gap on Coach Cal and Coach K (he's almost done). Outside of that, I still wouldn't take anyone else.

Cal is treated pretty much like Trump on MSNBC. Love him or hate him, there is a bias that will be there. I'm a moderate so I can say that haha. Those close to Cal are loyal but if you're not in that circle you can drink thet haterade.

8. I've changed my tune on Maxey. The kid is a stud and going to be quite the Wildcat, I say he's playing as big of a role as De'Aaron Fox in recruiting his class. He is a GREAT kid that other loves to play with. No ego or selfishness that most "Day one Five stars" have.

That's all I got for now... remember to give recruiting time. Things change, people change, kids change, and enviroments change. Sometimes like the Jefferies story, you have to let things play out...

These kids have so many people in their ears and usually, the kids with big circles end up going against UK. Usually, the kids with the smaller circles tend to lean UK...

Why is that? I know... and it's that obvious folks(Ya'll heard of Venmo?). Recruiting is almost as cutthroat as my haters on this board ;)

I'm only sort of kidding, take care UK Wildcat fans.

Coach

Most of it makes sense but I think wiseman is Memphis bound and the decommitt by Jeffries solidifies that. Cal needs to recalibrate now instead of putting much faith in jefferies or wiseman. I’d also say penny will poach another top rated recruit that we battle for. Wisemans gonna recruit someone to Memphis. I could even see wiseman reclassifying to this class and going to Memphis. We ll see

Great stuff!!! Interesting you say kids with big circles aren’t pro UK, not surprised though.

Most of it makes sense but I think wiseman is Memphis bound and the decommitt by Jeffries solidifies that. Cal needs to recalibrate now instead of putting much faith in jefferies or wiseman. I’d also say penny will poach another top rated recruit that we battle for. Wisemans gonna recruit someone to Memphis. I could even see wiseman reclassifying to this class and going to Memphis. We ll see
If you think Wiseman is going to reclassify to 2018, then the Jefferies solidifies argument doesn't jive. They wouldn't get to play with each other.

Good post.

I heard but never thought the Penny thing would materialize, and it seemed Barbee would return. I mentioned that back in your March post.

But despite the uproar it caused at the time, you were absolutely right on Jeffries. I think your comment was, “Penny will Penny”.

Indeed.

This time around, I agree with much of your post except Wiseman. I believe he is a heavy Memphis lean at this moment.

I haven’t heard of any overt cheating out of Memphis, but he has been very good at leveraging local pressure.

Concur on Maxey.

If you think Wiseman is going to reclassify to 2018, then the Jefferies solidifies argument doesn't jive. They wouldn't get to play with each other.

If Wiseman reclassified to play this upcoming season, he would still play with Jefferies next year. Wiseman would have to wait 2 years to play in the NBA because of his age.

The tune is that players will be staying? Id be surprised to see anyone outside of Quickley, Herro, Baker and maybe Richards staying. I say Quickley bc it sounded like Quade was halfway interested in leaving preseason and might not be willing to stick beyond 2 seasons. I also think Hagans will do enough to warrant being drafted based off of physical skills. Should mean a lot of spots open on wing and front court

Reactions: jace2012

Dude you should call Cal and tell him to "recalibrate". You alone is probably the only hope UK has for getting a decent class in '19

If Wiseman reclassified to play this upcoming season, he would still play with Jefferies next year. Wiseman would have to wait 2 years to play in the NBA because of his age.

Hey man he can't let facts stand in the way of his agenda

Reactions: Mr_GG
I have two NBA scout buddies that told me the same story on the Cal/Penny thing! Just makes me love Cal more!!! Also hear from one Scout Whitney is the big talk right now!!!! Let's get him on campus and hope he commits!!!

Wiseman would have to play two college season if he reclassified. Not saying it will happen but I wouldn’t be surprised

The tune is that players will be staying? Id be surprised to see anyone outside of Quickley, Herro, Baker and maybe Richards staying. I say Quickley bc it sounded like Quade was halfway interested in leaving preseason and might not be willing to stick beyond 2 seasons. I also think Hagans will do enough to warrant being drafted based off of physical skills. Should mean a lot of spots open on wing and front court

I’m done assuming anyone stays any season now the way the bar was lowered this year. For a couple guys it was only about being drafted and another a shot at showing his skills. This offseason did a lot of damage to retaining players the way the likes of diallo vanderbilt Gabriel and even briscoe being picked up and getting big pay days. Idk why anyone who thinks they are one and done would stay especially if they are just trying to get to he league.

Reactions: ftp000
I’m done assuming anyone stays any season now the way the bar was lowered this year. For a couple guys it was only about being drafted and another a shot at showing his skills. This offseason did a lot of damage to retaining players the way the likes of diallo vanderbilt Gabriel and even briscoe being picked up and getting big pay days. Idk why anyone who thinks they are one and done would stay especially if they are just trying to get to he league.
Yea im almost in the mindset where if i think you can leave, youll leave. I just dont see anyway all 3 point guards leave and i think Quickley is the one whos most likely to stay and try to showcase a 2nd year. Wouldnt be surprised if all of em leave but i just cant logically see it happening at this point. Same with Richards. Unless he improved something crazy i see no way he doesnt stay another

As always thanks coach. Ignore the haters. You’re just putting out there what you have heard. Nothing wrong with that, More on here, look for any flaws in your analysis so they can look for reason to complain; preach man, please put those on ignore, as you know, there will be ThebesI’m the morning

Reactions: shaudyshaud
The NBA has a rule that requires players to be 19 years old or have completed one year of college before becoming eligible for the NBADraft.Apr 6, 2012

The key word in this rule is OR.

Reactions: wentzel25
Wiseman would have to play two college season if he reclassified. Not saying it will happen but I wouldn’t be surprised
If he does reclassify I would put 100% on Memphis. He could kick start Penny's career, the folks could sit at court side and he has one more year with his buddy. That will work.

The NBA has a rule that requires players to be 19 years old or have completed one year of college before becoming eligible for the NBADraft.Apr 6, 2012

giphy.gif

Reactions: EliteBlue

The rule is 19 in the same calendar year as the draft or one year removed from their original graduating class.

If James Wiseman spends this year in college, his graduating class will still be finishing high school. It's why all the kids you see reclassify are kids who have been held back for sports at some point.

Reactions: Cindog28 and Mr_GG
You're not a "retard." You just didn't know what Venmo is. But Venmo is an app for sending/receiving money. I think it's owned by PayPal, so it's kinda like that?
Haha yeah you got it. Venmo is much better than paypal though as no fees are assessed.

ADVERTISEMENT