ADVERTISEMENT

BBN-Congrats from Coach on Knox- After the fact story

Aug 23, 2016
First off, that's a big big get for you guys for next year...

Through the Knox recruitment, I have learned how to interpret the Duke staff... so hopefully in the future, I'll be able to help you all with Duke/UK battles.

AKA- I along with a friend of mine has found the Duke leaks and we're currently in testing mode to confirm this is the guy..

Here is the back story I have...

Knox was down to FSU and UK at the end is what I was told.

Duke actually got hit hard by the fact they play small ball and the players who are projected to go to Duke next year would have forced him to play the four. Knox wants to be a wing.

There is a story out that Knox decided against Duke when Bamba communicated that he wouldn't be going there... I believe they're pretty good friends. I hear that story last Saturday afternoon while sitting with a Big 10 coach at an AAU event in Indy, IN.

I also learned in the last couple weeks before the announcement that UNC hasn't heard from Knox is a while and they felt they were out of it.

It was then, when I reported to you all that Duke "is coming along strong". Well, that was told to me by a Duke hype guy who I had no idea would be pro-Duke. While in Indy, I was told by a D-2 guy that it was Duke not knowing that person is friends with Nolan Smith who is a former player and sits bench.

The Knox parents liked all the coaches really well, but Knox himself preferred the UK staff and FSU staff. Coach Capel and Nike was actually a turn off in this recruitment. This family didn't really care about some of the extra bells and whistles you get with some schools in recruitment.

UK stayed quiet. If you read my last couple posts from Friday, I mentioned the more quiet the recruitment is, the better it usually is for UK. This is because the UK staff doesn't leak anything...

I will say that without a doubt, FSU and Leonard Hamilton ran a very hard fought and classy race for Knox. They didn't do as much negative recruiting as other schools. SO don't hate on that staff...

That's my background and why I never predicted either way with Knox. So much misdirection, but I do know that Knox helps with Bamba.

Hopefully, this makes me better at sorting through the good info and the B.S.

Happy Monday, BBN!

Thanks for the update Coach. If a recruitment staying quiet is good for Kentucky, I'd say that's good news as far as Bamba and UK goes (since things seem to be very quiet with him).

Thanks for the info. Moral of the story: never trust info from a D-2 coach!

This family didn't really care about some of the extra bells and whistles you get with some schools in recruitment.

You said this in reference to Capel/Duke ..

interdasting.jpg

Coach have you heard anything new about the 2018 PG that was about to commit to UK last month you mentioned?

awesome stuff. i know one thing about the UK staff....it doesnt leak info. sure some stuff might slip out leading up to an announcement, but there is a reason most recruiting seasons the experts pick against uk when telling who a recruit favors. duke, ku, etc of the world....like to put stuff out there.

Through the Knox recruitment, I have learned how to interpret the Duke staff... so hopefully in the future, I'll be able to help you all with Duke/UK battles.

AKA- I along with a friend of mine has found the Duke leaks and we're currently in testing mode to confirm this is the guy..

Duke actually got hit hard by the fact they play small ball and the players who are projected to go to Duke next year would have forced him to play the four. Knox wants to be a wing.

There is a story out that Knox decided against Duke when Bamba communicated that he wouldn't be going there... I believe they're pretty good friends. I hear that story last Saturday afternoon while sitting with a Big 10 coach at an AAU event in Indy, IN.

I also learned in the last couple weeks before the announcement that UNC hasn't heard from Knox is a while and they felt they were out of it.

It was then, when I reported to you all that Duke "is coming along strong". Well, that was told to me by a Duke hype guy who I had no idea would be pro-Duke. While in Indy, I was told by a D-2 guy that it was Duke not knowing that person is friends with Nolan Smith who is a former player and sits bench.

The Knox parents liked all the coaches really well, but Knox himself preferred the UK staff and FSU staff. Coach Capel and Nike was actually a turn off in this recruitment. This family didn't really care about some of the extra bells and whistles you get with some schools in recruitment.

UK stayed quiet. If you read my last couple posts from Friday, I mentioned the more quiet the recruitment is, the better it usually is for UK. This is because the UK staff doesn't leak anything...

I will say that without a doubt, FSU and Leonard Hamilton ran a very hard fought and classy race for Knox. They didn't do as much negative recruiting as other schools. SO don't hate on that staff...

That's my background and why I never predicted either way with Knox. So much misdirection, but I do know that Knox helps with Bamba.

Happy Monday, BBN!

Heck of a post. Thanks (It was informative to the point it was worth the read.) jmuo

Happy Monday, BBN!
Thanks Coach. How late are you thinking bamba might wait?

Thanks Coach for the insight. Glad to hear UNC is not

The extra bells definitely has to be more than just saying Duke looks better on a resume. Would like to hear what those types of extras could be of course. (probably jobs for the parents). How Nike is a benefit in all this would be very interesting. If Knox/Bamba were considering Oregon, then the more interesting for sure.

Kevin Knox Sr was on the radio this weekend, and I didn't hear if the UNC investigation hurt them at all, and the hosts did not ask that question, which would have been a great lead into whether UNC was doing whatever necessary to get elite guys in there during this investigation?

Finally, no complaints for anything Leonard Hamilton. If he recruits negatively vs UK, I have no concerns with it. His uphill battle in the ACC is daunting dealing with favorable UNC/Duke scheduling & their refs, so anything Hamilton does to even the ranks in the ACC, the better IMO for us. Always thought Hamilton would be a coaching fit here, but nothing like that ever evolved, but appreciate his time in Lexington.

If anyone could write a book about coaching in college, its Leonard Hamilton.
Cal has had guys before that decided on FSU over Cal, so there are many families that respect the job Leonard is doing in Tallahassee.
'
One final question coach: You think the 30for30 helped us with Knox? Heard that the guys were watching and Kevin Knox Sr sure sounded like he enjoyed it.

Reactions: spotter34
Knox's dad said himself in the end it came down to UK and Duke.

Regardless, have to like that it helps with Bamba.

For Dad it came down to UK and Duke.

For Kevin I was told it was UK and FSU as his perferred choices.

Same name as before. I think they're now planning on waiting it out after AAU summer ball and see who else they can bring along with him.

There is a little scuttlebutt about multiple point guards for UK, but I find that hard to believe with Langford still on the board.

The extra bells definitely has to be more than just saying Duke looks better on a resume. Would like to hear what those types of extras could be of course. (probably jobs for the parents). How Nike is a benefit in all this would be very interesting. If Knox/Bamba were considering Oregon, then the more interesting for sure.

Kevin Knox Sr was on the radio this weekend, and I didn't hear if the UNC investigation hurt them at all, and the hosts did not ask that question, which would have been a great lead into whether UNC was doing whatever necessary to get elite guys in there during this investigation?

Finally, no complaints for anything Leonard Hamilton. If he recruits negatively vs UK, I have no concerns with it. His uphill battle in the ACC is daunting dealing with favorable UNC/Duke scheduling & their refs, so anything Hamilton does to even the ranks in the ACC, the better IMO for us. Always thought Hamilton would be a coaching fit here, but nothing like that ever evolved, but appreciate his time in Lexington.

Cal has had guys before that decided on FSU over Cal, so there are many families that respect the job Leonard is doing in Tallahassee.
'
One final question coach: You think the 30for30 helped us with Knox? Heard that the guys were watching and Kevin Knox Sr sure sounded like he enjoyed it.

I think the best I can answer the bells and whistles on a public website is that sometimes favors are done to accommodate families... Not necessarily cheating with bags of money or anything, but certain people are helped out.

Now, don't get on a high horse... EVERY school does some degree of this... It's come practice and it happens at the high school levels too, maybe even worse.

I have no idea on the 30 for 30 besides the fact it was a great watch.

I love the fact that the UK staff only lets out what they want out. Some of you guys hate MJ for various reasons but, rest assured that the UK staff uses him for just the type things Coach is talking about here. Of course, Cal's staff is deeply connected across the recruiting scene and I'm sure they use others as well. But, it's all by design.
I love that Dook's heavy-handed tactics kinda bit them in this case. Sure, all programs do "favors" for parents, coaches, etc. but, Dook seems to do it a lot more and very publicly in many cases. Almost daring anyone to say anything and very subtly putting it out there for all to see.

Occasionally the curtain gets pulled back and you get to see how the sausage is made. For basketball purists it isn't pretty but, it's necessary. Look no further than Memphis right now to see what happens when you don't "play the game".
And as bad you might think it is in college basketball, it's 10x worse for football.

Reactions: BlueSince92

'

I like Hamilton and always thought he was a pretty stand up guy but I've never thought he was a good game coach. He's had a lot of talent down there but it never materializes into tourney success. For elite recruits he seems to be the epitome of "rolling the ball out and letting them play".

Good stuff Coach.

I just want to congratulate the BBN and say congrats! Great info in detail from Coach.. All I had from Jordan Brand game was he was truly torn (All Star Circuit gets wild/weird with kids selling you, outsiders talking, etc..) and one thing I'd say that I had heard all year and shared was Knox's family LOVED UK/Cal. Don't buy the "this was them letting kid do what he wants"--they were doing that no matter what in part to fact Kevin Sr went through high level recruiting as a HS Football recruit. Can't be stressed enough what a bonus that is for a young man and credit the family for how they handled things. Heard UK was always in this more then people thought which is what Coach backed up, but I didn't have anything worthwhile to share or any backstories to share. Just happy for my friends here and the young man! Excited to see him and how UK finishes this recruiting period. They aren't done yet!

I will always consider Hamilton as 'one of ours'. I am grateful for the job he did here, and still sickened by the hatchet job he received from the athletic department and the boosters. He is a great college coach. To choose Drunk UK Coach (vol. 1) over him, and then treat Hamilton like they did, was a disaster.

Last edited:
The guy has brought a ton of solid info to the table for us. More than you know. Believe that much.
Partner, I've been here 3x as long as you...No one knew anything about Knox..Believe that..Knox Sr said Cal didn't even know...

Partner, I've been here 3x as long as you...No one knew anything about Knox..Believe that..Knox Sr said Cal didn't even know...

Tender roney stoney I've been here since day one, but the OP never said he knew Knox was coming prior to committing, just provided the back story after the event.

You just needed to slap someone around a bit. I can make suggestions better than @CoachX11... jbapp, cottonnash, probably time for zaytoven to get a few smacks as well just to keep him in line.

ADVERTISEMENT