ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Skills

struggler

Sophomore
Jan 23, 2013
Not to pile on at a time that it is easy to be realistically negative about this team, but 6 games in I think it's fair to look at a few stats and trends so far. I am all for athletes - but at D1 college level players have to have some reliable basketball skills. Any pedestrian viewing of this team playing leaves one a little shocked at the lack of D1 basketball skills. Just a couple of skills and stats to consider for those more analytical than me.

Ball handling and taking care of the ball and possessions. Worst three so far with turnovers are Clarke (20), Boston (14) and Askew (15) and of course none are in a positive A/TO ratio. In fact, only two... TWO players are in a positive ratio. Mintz (17 assist to 11 TO) and Fletcher (3 assist to 2 TO). This stat and lack of basic basketball skill is a recipe for losing basketball - clearly. Sure these guys handle the ball the most - but all the more reason you must possess some skill in this area - especially if you are going to leave these on a long leash and not play others. For those deep in the Allen controversy his stat here is bad as well (0 assist to 4 TO). This brand of basketball simply cannot win. Clarke may be a great player - but is NOT a point guard at the D1 level at this point. Cal is glaringly playing him out of position and it makes Clarke look bad (Cal worse). He's trying to cram a square peg into a round hole. Askew cannot facilitate an offense at this level yet - so Mintz is the ONLY choice here. Focus on him and helping him facilitate the team; you know - run some plays?

Shooting - especially 3's. Clarke is at 26%, and Boston is at 17%.... and between the two of them - they have taken almost 1/2 of the teams attempts. Boston misses so badly most of the time - not even close. If we are going to follow stats here, your best to take these attempts are Askew 36%, Allen 33% and Mintz 29%. Mintz has taken about 1/4 of the teams attempts. So statistically 3 players (Clarke, Boston and Mintz) have taken 3/4 of the 3's so far this season. I am no 10M HOF coach - but seems to me shooting the 3 ball and shooting in general would be a point of emphasis. To be fair, they are shooting 43% from the field in total which is not terrible - but the 3 point shooting is terrible. If Cal were to follow stats at all - Boston does not need to shoot the 3 at all at this point. Earn the right to shoot it, but clearly he has a long leash and the green light. He has taken over 1/4 of the teams attempts and the team high of 29 attempts - yet has shot it the worst - by far. Winning basketball Cal, your worst shooter taking the most attempts? 1-5 says no.

No claim to have the answers - but I do know these are at least two glaring stats that either improve - or the L's continue to pile up. I am complaining about basic basketball skills but may should be complaining about basic coaching skills and decisions.

Oh - free throws - missing 1/3 of them? Clarke shooting a Lonzo Ball-like 47%. "I cant play you" at the FT line at 47%.

Sad to watch.

Clarke and Boston should only shoot threes if the shot clock is at 2 and they have to. They should drive the ball and create or get fouled.

The refs were calling every touch foul on Saturday, but they kept taking jump shots. That’s just not smart.

But if they want to win tight games, they need to make free throws. Clarke needs to get in the gym with a grad assistant and shoot free throws until his arms fall off.
That guy should get an entire team in foul trouble all by himself every game, he has that kind of game, but he has no college basketball IQ right now and Boston is even further behind.

Not to pile on at a time that it is easy to be realistically negative about this team, but 6 games in I think it's fair to look at a few stats and trends so far. I am all for athletes - but at D1 college level players have to have some reliable basketball skills. Any pedestrian viewing of this team playing leaves one a little shocked at the lack of D1 basketball skills. Just a couple of skills and stats to consider for those more analytical than me.

Ball handling and taking care of the ball and possessions. Worst three so far with turnovers are Clarke (20), Boston (14) and Askew (15) and of course none are in a positive A/TO ratio. In fact, only two... TWO players are in a positive ratio. Mintz (17 assist to 11 TO) and Fletcher (3 assist to 2 TO). This stat and lack of basic basketball skill is a recipe for losing basketball - clearly. Sure these guys handle the ball the most - but all the more reason you must possess some skill in this area - especially if you are going to leave these on a long leash and not play others. For those deep in the Allen controversy his stat here is bad as well (0 assist to 4 TO). This brand of basketball simply cannot win. Clarke may be a great player - but is NOT a point guard at the D1 level at this point. Cal is glaringly playing him out of position and it makes Clarke look bad (Cal worse). He's trying to cram a square peg into a round hole. Askew cannot facilitate an offense at this level yet - so Mintz is the ONLY choice here. Focus on him and helping him facilitate the team; you know - run some plays?

Shooting - especially 3's. Clarke is at 26%, and Boston is at 17%.... and between the two of them - they have taken almost 1/2 of the teams attempts. Boston misses so badly most of the time - not even close. If we are going to follow stats here, your best to take these attempts are Askew 36%, Allen 33% and Mintz 29%. Mintz has taken about 1/4 of the teams attempts. So statistically 3 players (Clarke, Boston and Mintz) have taken 3/4 of the 3's so far this season. I am no 10M HOF coach - but seems to me shooting the 3 ball and shooting in general would be a point of emphasis. To be fair, they are shooting 43% from the field in total which is not terrible - but the 3 point shooting is terrible. If Cal were to follow stats at all - Boston does not need to shoot the 3 at all at this point. Earn the right to shoot it, but clearly he has a long leash and the green light. He has taken over 1/4 of the teams attempts and the team high of 29 attempts - yet has shot it the worst - by far. Winning basketball Cal, your worst shooter taking the most attempts? 1-5 says no.

No claim to have the answers - but I do know these are at least two glaring stats that either improve - or the L's continue to pile up. I am complaining about basic basketball skills but may should be complaining about basic coaching skills and decisions.

Oh - free throws - missing 1/3 of them? Clarke shooting a Lonzo Ball-like 47%. "I cant play you" at the FT line at 47%.

Sad to watch.
All I can say is Boston's form is not great.

Reactions: struggler

Sad to watch.
I can’t disagree with any of this. No sane person can. Cue the idiots chiming in.

I’m always amazed how we have fans on here who think our guys are going to be good shooters at the start of every year. Often there is statistical evidence of poor shooting available. But it doesn’t penetrate. There was zero reason for anyone to expect Boston or Clarke to be even average from long range.

But even more amazing is that Cal says he wants these guys to shoot jumpers when available.

I expect Askew will make a big jump as a 3 pt threat at some point.

Reactions: RunninRichie

Sad to watch.

Fair post. But this team has no chance to ever be worth 2 cents if Boston and Clarke don't get going, so it's a slippery slope. I'm pretty shocked that both of them are this bad so far, never saw that coming. But Sarr is the one that really agitates me. 5th year senior that commits really dumb fouls.

I think when considering this, you have to look beyond just what you see on the floor. You have to consider it outside the context of Kentucky. How are kids getting to this level with these amounts of incoming credentials and have such poor skills in the context of team play and against competent competition. I know the bash Cal zealots will use this as a ambush to trash him even further but the issue is bigger than that.

I think this is an area that Cal, Krychitski and other D1 coaches need to begin a campaign to strengthen AAU and high school coaching. For the most part, particularly with top tier players, the job is NOT getting done. This is a problem for colleges. This is a problem for the players as they do not reach their potential. Bash Cal all you like, but you are just wasting your time. This doesn't get better till the root of the problem is addressed.

I think when considering this, you have to look beyond just what you see on the floor. You have to consider it outside the context of Kentucky. How are kids getting to this level with these amounts of incoming credentials and have such poor skills in the context of team play and against competent competition. I know the bash Cal zealots will use this as a ambush to trash him even further but the issue is bigger than that.

I think this is an area that Cal, Krychitski and other D1 coaches need to begin a campaign to strengthen AAU and high school coaching. For the most part, particularly with top tier players, the job is NOT getting done. This is a problem for colleges. This is a problem for the players as they do not reach their potential. Bash Cal all you like, but you are just wasting your time. This doesn't get better till the root of the problem is addressed.
Solid point.

I agree. I’ve said many times that AAU ball is destroying the college game. The problem is everyone knows that yet coaches still recruit based on player ratings which are driven by AAU ball. Coaches know this. They have to take it upon themselves to look beyond the player rankings and the STAR system. There’s no defense being played in AAU ball, so you can’t judge how well these players are against actual defenses. Plus, they don’t have to play any real defense so they don’t have a clue. I’m tired of only bringing in players based only on their verticals, wingspans, and speed. We’re not recruiting a track team. We need a few of those types, but we also need players with actual basketball skills (shooting, ball handling, passing, defense). Those players are out there because other programs are getting them. Just recruiting players based on the recruiting services’ rankings is lazy. I’ve been saying this exact same thing for several years. It isn’t new.

I agree. I’ve said many times that AAU ball is destroying the college game. The problem is everyone knows that yet coaches still recruit based on player ratings which are driven by AAU ball. Coaches know this. They have to take it upon themselves to look beyond the player rankings and the STAR system. There’s no defense being played in AAU ball, so you can’t judge how well these players are against actual defenses. Plus, they don’t have to play any real defense so they don’t have a clue. I’m tired of only bringing in players based only on their verticals, wingspans, and speed. We’re not recruiting a track team. We need a few of those types, but we also need players with actual basketball skills (shooting, ball handling, passing, defense). Those players are out there because other programs are getting them. Just recruiting players based on the recruiting services’ rankings is lazy. I’ve been saying this exact same thing for several years. It isn’t new.

The star system is driven by media hype. I haven’t trusted it for many years and I truly don’t understand the hype around the recruiting. The AAU coaches are looking to use the kids as stepping stones. They could give a damn about developing a well rounded ball player.

I have to disagree about the comment that we will find such well skilled players that also have talents into the 99th percentile. I think those are few and far between as freshmen. What you see is the product of upper class training.

The star system is driven by media hype. I haven’t trusted it for many years and I truly don’t understand the hype around the recruiting. The AAU coaches are looking to use the kids as stepping stones. They could give a damn about developing a well rounded ball player.

I have to disagree about the comment that we will find such well skilled players that also have talents into the 99th percentile. I think those are few and far between as freshmen. What you see is the product of upper class training.
Finding them takes work. It’s called doing your job. No program has more resources than UK basketball. We continually pass on players such as Powell. It’s a fact. Yes, luck is sometimes involved, but so is hard work. It’s not difficult to find players that can shoot the ball. Look at their high school percentages and go watch them play. We need to try scouting players that aren’t AAU ball heros. A lot of other programs do it.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Finding them takes work. It’s called doing your job. No program has more resources than UK basketball. We continually pass on players such as Powell. It’s a fact. Yes, luck is sometimes involved, but so is hard work. It’s not difficult to find players that can shoot the ball. Look at their high school percentages and go watch them play. We need to try scouting players that aren’t AAU ball heros. A lot of other programs do it.

Have you invented something that makes you millions of dollars? It’s possible. It just takes work. Same thing.

I think you grossly underestimate the difficulty of the task. In Herro and SGACal found two. Those are damn hard to come by.

Have you invented something that makes you millions of dollars? It’s possible. It just takes work. Same thing.

I think you grossly underestimate the difficulty of the task. In Herro and SGACal found two. Those are damn hard to come by.
No it’s not. Teams across the college landscape do it every year. Cal just doesn’t look at players that don’t meet his physical requirements/characteristics.

Reactions: IbnSaran

I agree with you that AAU players are not getting good coaching. However, there are a lot of good players, that never play AAU ball. AAU ball today is a lot like street ball, in the one who has the ball wants to impress with his jumping ability, and dunking ability. It is more a, "one on one," game. Cal is letting good players from the state, get away, because he thinks their not athletic enough. They don't try to impress, and showboat, they just play within them self, and can score, which is a problem with the present team.
We do not have a competent Point Guard on this team, and that is a problem, NO leader.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: 65pacecar
I agree with you that AAU players are not getting good coaching. However, there are a lot of good players, that never play AAU ball. AAU ball today is a lot like street ball, in the one who has the ball wants to impress with his jumping ability, and dunking ability. It is more a, "one on one," game. Cal is letting good players from the state, get away, because he thinks their not athletic enough. They don't try to impress, and showboat, they just play within them self, and can score, which is a problem with the present team.
We do not have a competent Point Guard on this team, and that is a problem, NO leader.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

High school coaching is pretty dismal too. These kids you think are there are in fact, quite rare. They also have options Togo to schools where playing time is easier to come by. Regarding the in state player, I disagree. You are looking with hindsight. That makes spotting trivial and of little value except for bashing the coach.

If you want to know what basketball skills are, you should have watched Gonzaga and Iowa game. Those teams know how to play the game. I know a bunch of you guys try to make fun of Iowa because they are all white and not great athletes, but they know how to play. If they played the cats right now they would eat them alive. You saw what Richmond did to the Cats with this same kind of team. Well Iowa is 10 times better than Richmond, but you want to make fun of them. Some of you wanted to make fun of the way Garza runs up and down the floor, well he knows how to play, and is going to be the player of the year, I bet he would score at least 40 against this Wildcat team.

From what little I've watched the past few years there seems to be a common thread: the FR are, generally, really good athletes but not necessarily good basketball players. They lack fundamentals such as the ones listed above and don't hang around long enough for Cal to develop those skills. Our system seems to be based on out-athleting everyone and that's just not happening. Standing around watching one guy bounce the air out of the ball is not modern day basketball. It's all about movement and creating a better shot for the next guy.

For several years, our guards have looked slow and have gotten beat off the dribble by multiple teams time and again. They may be 6'-4" and can jump through the ceiling, but they can't stay in front of their man, don't know proper technique for help defense, can't consistently hit a jumper or FT to save their life. Then, move on after 1 year and we start all over again. And, giving up a rebound on a FT - don't even get me started.

Having officiated AAU BB, I've seen firsthand how poor coaching is at that level. Teams basically have no plays on offense, just move around and create a shot, play no team defense, etc. It's a high level pickup game in many instances. I believe HS coaching tends to be better if for no other reason that the coaches have a lot more time to implement schemes vs. just getting a bunch of kids together for a weekend tournament.

From what little I've watched the past few years there seems to be a common thread: the FR are, generally, really good athletes but not necessarily good basketball players. They lack fundamentals such as the ones listed above and don't hang around long enough for Cal to develop those skills. Our system seems to be based on out-athleting everyone and that's just not happening. Standing around watching one guy bounce the air out of the ball is not modern day basketball. It's all about movement and creating a better shot for the next guy.

For several years, our guards have looked slow and have gotten beat off the dribble by multiple teams time and again. They may be 6'-4" and can jump through the ceiling, but they can't stay in front of their man, don't know proper technique for help defense, can't consistently hit a jumper or FT to save their life. Then, move on after 1 year and we start all over again. And, giving up a rebound on a FT - don't even get me started.

Having officiated AAU BB, I've seen firsthand how poor coaching is at that level. Teams basically have no plays on offense, just move around and create a shot, play no team defense, etc. It's a high level pickup game in many instances. I believe HS coaching tends to be better if for no other reason that the coaches have a lot more time to implement schemes vs. just getting a bunch of kids together for a weekend tournament.
Sir I think you have said it just about as well as it can be said.

Reactions: BourbonBalz
High school coaching is pretty dismal too. These kids you think are there are in fact, quite rare. They also have options Togo to schools where playing time is easier to come by. Regarding the in state player, I disagree. You are looking with hindsight. That makes spotting trivial and of little value except for bashing the coach.

Bass, there are plenty of good guards from the High Schools in Kentucky. I don't know where you attend High School Basketball games, or not, but I do. I enjoy watching kids play basketball, and there are some good players in Kentucky. Cal wants the 6'7" guard, which is his choice. The only thing, that guy can't guard, the fast guard, so you end up with a 2 on 1 layup. How about Adam Kunkel? You think he might have helped this team?
As for bashing the coach, I don't think Cal needs any help for fans bashing him. He does a GREAT job of that. When a coach loses 5 in a row, and it hasn't happened since 1926, do you think it's wrong for fans to be displeased with his coaching. After all, he is the one that said how great this team was going to be, before season started. I know you don't expect much out of Coach Cal, but a lot of us are use to good coaching. If I remember, you went to college in another state, where the basketball is probably not as intense as it is in Kentucky. Fans in Kentucky expect good coaching, willing to pay a lot for the coach, and most of us have played High School ball, and organized ball after graduating. I'm not sure, but by your post, you have never played a lot of basketball, except maybe with your friends on a basket over the garage. I'm not in favor of getting rid of Cal, if he would go back to being a coach, running plays, etc., instead of recruiting players who are 5 stars, and don't know the basics of basketball, and can't shoot over 2 feet from the basketball. Street ball, one on one is not working at this level. I don't understand why you don't see that, or maybe your just to stubborn to admit it.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Bass, there are plenty of good guards from the High Schools in Kentucky. I don't know where you attend High School Basketball games, or not, but I do. I enjoy watching kids play basketball, and there are some good players in Kentucky. Cal wants the 6'7" guard, which is his choice. The only thing, that guy can't guard, the fast guard, so you end up with a 2 on 1 layup. How about Adam Kunkel? You think he might have helped this team?
As for bashing the coach, I don't think Cal needs any help for fans bashing him. He does a GREAT job of that. When a coach loses 5 in a row, and it hasn't happened since 1926, do you think it's wrong for fans to be displeased with his coaching. After all, he is the one that said how great this team was going to be, before season started. I know you don't expect much out of Coach Cal, but a lot of us are use to good coaching. If I remember, you went to college in another state, where the basketball is probably not as intense as it is in Kentucky. Fans in Kentucky expect good coaching, willing to pay a lot for the coach, and most of us have played High School ball, and organized ball after graduating. I'm not sure, but by your post, you have never played a lot of basketball, except maybe with your friends on a basket over the garage. I'm not in favor of getting rid of Cal, if he would go back to being a coach, running plays, etc., instead of recruiting players who are 5 stars, and don't know the basics of basketball, and can't shoot over 2 feet from the basketball. Street ball, one on one is not working at this level. I don't understand why you don't see that, or maybe your just to stubborn to admit it.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
Bass isn’t a Kentucky fan he’s a Calipari fan. People like him don’t have enough common sense to realize what he’s doing to our program. If he doesn’t change and things keep trending in this direction, when he does leave, the next coach will be put in a horrible situation.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

You need to actually play. Some kid that can fill it up in a high school game will freak when faced with a strong athletic guard that can go. Devon Booker said it best when starting college. ‘ I wasn’t prepared for the speed...’

You need to actually play. Some kid that can fill it up in a high school game will freak when faced with a strong athletic guard that can go. Devon Booker said it best when starting college. ‘ I wasn’t prepared for the speed...’

Tell that BS to Pearl. He said he loves to get Kentucky players, because they have good fundamentals. I believe he finished above us in the last tournament, and he didn't have any 5 stars. The man can coach and judge talent. I attend high school games in Kentucky all the time. Don't ever think that Kentucky players can't play. They will not back down from anyone. All coaches before Cal recruited guards from Kentucky. Evidently you don't remember Feldhaus, Pelphrey, Richie, Hagan, Rose, etc.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Tell that BS to Pearl. He said he loves to get Kentucky players, because they have good fundamentals. I believe he finished above us in the last tournament, and he didn't have any 5 stars. The man can coach and judge talent. I attend high school games in Kentucky all the time. Don't ever think that Kentucky players can't play. They will not back down from anyone. All coaches before Cal recruited guards from Kentucky. Evidently you don't remember Feldhaus, Pelphrey, Richie, Hagan, Rose, etc.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

He’s also a back stabbing lying stinking cheat. Pearl is pond scum..

I doubt you will follow this but I’ll try to simplify. It’s not a question of not having talent. I grew up in Kentucky. I played in Kentucky. The problem is that there isn’t very many that have that capability. The ones that do are largely going to present in the junior and senior years in college. They aren’t going to be happy riding pine for 2 years.

This really isn’t that hard. You can’t just point and say, oh , look , good player, doh, him play at Kentucky. They are going to go where they can play, sooner the better.

Wonder how many kids at Gonzaga or Baylor played AAU ball? It is possible to build solid teams with players other than over rated AAU players.

He’s also a back stabbing lying stinking cheat. Pearl is pond scum..

I doubt you will follow this but I’ll try to simplify. It’s not a question of not having talent. I grew up in Kentucky. I played in Kentucky. The problem is that there isn’t very many that have that capability. The ones that do are largely going to present in the junior and senior years in college. They aren’t going to be happy riding pine for 2 years.

This really isn’t that hard. You can’t just point and say, oh , look , good player, doh, him play at Kentucky. They are going to go where they can play, sooner the better.

Bass, you may have grown up in Kentucky, but regardless of what you say, you did not play organized basketball. You never have to simplify anything for anyone on here. Based on your post, your not that intelligent. An example of that is the 6th sentence in your second paragraph. I doubt if anyone can tell what your trying to say.

It's obvious you don't know Kentucky basketball players. 99% of boys who play High School basketball would give anything to play for UK. I know you went out of state to college. Most of the people on here went to an instate school for college. Coach Rupp, Joe Hall and even Pitno recruited Kentucky boys. Did you ever hear of players named Feldhaus, Pelfrey, or Farmer. All were Kentucky boys who played High School Basketball in Kentucky. How about Hagan, Rose, Evans, Big Lou, Wah Wah Jones, and I could go on and on. Obviously, you do NOT know any history about UK basketball.

You just want to defend Cal, regardless. If you will keep you mouth shut, people will not know your not very intelligent about UK basketball, when you keep posting, your removing all doubt. I don't know how you can defend Cal the last 5 years, and especially this year. UK has not lost 5 games in a row since 1926, but Cal has done it this year. All your post on here are criticizing someone. I would hate to be like you, where I'm always looking like an A Hole.

I wonder about you, since your talking about seeing someone's WILLY, and talking about their wet noodle, etc., but your sexual preference is your business.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Bass, you may have grown up in Kentucky, but regardless of what you say, you did not play organized basketball. You never have to simplify anything for anyone on here. Based on your post, your not that intelligent. An example of that is the 6th sentence in your second paragraph. I doubt if anyone can tell what your trying to say.

It's obvious you don't know Kentucky basketball players. 99% of boys who play High School basketball would give anything to play for UK. I know you went out of state to college. Most of the people on here went to an instate school for college. Coach Rupp, Joe Hall and even Pitno recruited Kentucky boys. Did you ever hear of players named Feldhaus, Pelfrey, or Farmer. All were Kentucky boys who played High School Basketball in Kentucky. How about Hagan, Rose, Evans, Big Lou, Wah Wah Jones, and I could go on and on. Obviously, you do NOT know any history about UK basketball.

You just want to defend Cal, regardless. If you will keep you mouth shut, people will not know your not very intelligent about UK basketball, when you keep posting, your removing all doubt. I don't know how you can defend Cal the last 5 years, and especially this year. UK has not lost 5 games in a row since 1926, but Cal has done it this year. All your post on here are criticizing someone. I would hate to be like you, where I'm always looking like an A Hole.

I wonder about you, since your talking about seeing someone's WILLY, and talking about their wet noodle, etc., but your sexual preference is your business.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

If not for your last paragraph, I'd elaborate just how wrong you are. But instead I'll just say this.

Perv

You still wanting to see everyone's "Willy" or their wet noodle? Like I say, your sexual preference is your choice. I know it's not mine, or most of the fans on here. I'm not interested in seeing what you want to see.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

And you seem to have a very unhealthy fixation on that. I think I know why.

What is very telling about Cal is he made the decision early on to play Hagans over Quickley, he already had Green and Quickley on the roster and added Hagans. Now Hagans may have been a better athlete, honestly not sure about that now, but if you go back and hand Quickley the keys his freshman year he could have improved at a much faster rate, now PJ and Travis got hurt which was very unfortunate, but you just have to think that team wins it if we even saw version close to what Quickley has become.

Don't worry about it. They will figure it out later after they have turned pro or transferred. They will be OK.

so you can spout prior Kentucky players and spit in the floor? Laugh

Your jokes are worse then your knowledge of Kentucky basketball. Go hunt you a willy. Most of the posters on here are laughing at you. Like I said earlier, "If you will keep your mouth shut, fans will not know you look for men's willy, and don't know anything about UK basketball, or basketball in Kentucky, in general." Tell us about where you went to college! Was it Vassar? If you don't know where that is, look it up. You won't find many willy's there.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT