ADVERTISEMENT

Basket interference / Goaltending confusion...

far_away_fan

Sophomore
Jul 21, 2009
I just re-read the NCAA rule (which I've copied in its entirety at the end of the post) regarding Basket Interference and Goaltending (which, it turns out, are two different violations). I am no longer confused about how to reconcile Art. 2: a-2 and Art. 3: a-2 even though I thought I understood the rule before. It turns out I didn't!

In the UCLA game, people are arguing whether or not that 3 pointer at the end by UCLA should have been counted or not. Here's the current ESPN front page poll question: "What do you make of the goaltending call on Bryce Alford's eventual game-winning 3-pointer for UCLA?"

If you read Art. 3: a-2, it seems clear to me that it was NOT goaltending because the ball had no chance of going in. I think anyone who says otherwise needs to watch more replays and/or learn the goaltending rule.

But that's not the end of the story. I think you might be able to make a good case that the play WAS basket interference. Art. 2: a-2 says that if any part of the ball is within the cylinder (i.e. any part of the ball is over any part of the rim), then it is basket interference. Whether or not the shot has a chance of going in is immaterial according to this part of the rule.

The replays I've seen haven't convinced me one way or the other whether or not the left edge of the ball was barely over the front of the rim when it was touched, so I am not arguing one way or the other about that particular call. I just found it interesting that, while goaltending was (in my opinion) obviously not the right call, it might be the case that basket interference was the right call.

Here's the exact text of the rule in case you are interested:

Section 17. Basket Interference and Goaltending
Art. 1. It is a violation to commit basket interference or goaltending.

Art. 2. Basket interference
a. Basket interference occurs when a player:
Touches the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket;Touches the ball while any part of it is within the cylinder that has the ring as its lower base;Reaches through the basket from below and touches the ball before it enters the cylinder; orPulls down a movable ring so that it contacts the ball before the ring returns to its original position.Causes the basket or backboard to vibrate when the ball is on or within the basket or the backboard and/or is on or in the cylinder.
b. The cylinder is the imaginary geometric figure that has the ring as its base and is formed by the upward extension of that ring.
c. The ball shall be considered to be within the basket when any part of the ball is below the cylinder and the level of the ring.
d. A player may have a hand legally in contact with the ball, when this contact continues after the ball enters the cylinder or when, during such action, the player touches or grabs the basket.

Art. 3. Goaltending.
a. Goaltending occurs when a defensive player touches the ball during a fieldgoal try and each of the following conditions is met: (Exceptions: Rule 10-4.1.i)
The ball is on its downward flight; and The ball is above the level of the ring and has the possibility, while in flight, of entering the basket and is not touching the cylinder. b. It is goaltending to touch the ball outside the cylinder during a free throw, regardless of whether the free throw is on its upward or downward flight.

c. When the ball contacts the backboard and any part of the ball is above the rim during a field goal attempt, it is considered to be on its downward flight. In such a case, it is goaltending when the ball is touched by a player as long as it has a possibility of entering the basket.

IMHO...stupid mistake that cost them the game...you don't gift wrap a invite for the zebra's to decide a game....matters not how a lawyer would interpret the rule, lawyers aren't on the bench.

From what I have gathered the ref that made the call was in the worst position possible to make the call. He was over by the scorers table. There was a ref standing over behind where the shot was taken.

I'm less interested in whether or not basket interference was actually the right call on that play than I am in the fact that virtually no one in the national media seems to actually know the relevant rules. (Granted, I didn't know the relevant rules without looking them up, but I DID look them up!)

Originally posted by barryn2000:
IMHO...stupid mistake that cost them the game...you don't gift wrap a invite for the zebra's to decide a game....matters not how a lawyer would interpret the rule, lawyers aren't on the bench.
I get what you're saying but at the same time you don't just absolve the referee of making a bad call. That simply was not goal tending by the rule book, 100000000% wrong call. Absolutely unarguable. The player did nothing that should have RIGHTLY resulted in a goal tend. The referee WRONGLY called it as such.

Originally posted by wldktz8:
What concerns me more is when officials in the wrong position making these judgment calls.
This post was edited on 3/20 2:51 PM by wldktz8
This happens all the time. How many time do you see a play under the basket and the official near half court comes running in to make the call?

Originally posted by barryn2000:
As bad as that play was, it is no worse than the ridiculous out of bounds pass/turnover that happened just before it. No excuse for that.

ADVERTISEMENT