ADVERTISEMENT

Based on what you saw name your starting 5

Platoon!

That's what's gonna happen. Cal won't use that word again for obvious reasons, but we're gonna be platooning. And I dont' really know how else you manage all this talent and showcase all these kids, help them get ready for the draft, etc. Good news they're all really good. Bad news is it might take away minutes from some who are a little more deserving. Ultimately, we're gonna be really really good. Just hope we can get it done.

I've been saying for a couple months now, PLATOON would be a good option for this team (but I'm skeptical that it will happen).
Why would it be a good option for this team?
1) 10 deep (if Baker can play)
2) no star players who should get 30+mpg
3) not much difference between the #4 & #5 players than the # 8 & #9 guys
4) a Platoon does NOT have to be a 50/50 split, a 60/40 split would be 24mpg & 16mpg for the 2 groups

Richards showed some spark yesterday and scored in bunches. I worry that he's not there in terms of consistency just yet, and that will keep him from starting over the others.

I've been saying all summer that most of you have been underestimating Richards.
But beyond that, there is one BIG reason to start Richards every game.
The JUMP BALL!
Richards is our best chance at getting that. After the jump ball, then possession is rotated in jump ball situations. That means that approximately 50% of the time the team that wins the opening jump ball gets one more possession than the other team.

Stay with the starting five that began last night: Green, Richards, Washington, Quickley and Johnson

Keep them playing together, starting together and rewarding the veteran group, allowing the freshmen to progress at their own rate without feeling pressured to produce right away. You also send a message to the older guys that this is their team and they are the leaders that Calipari is counting on to help this team be successful.

Good strategy, imo.

I would bet that we have at least 7, maybe 8 guys start at least 5 games this year.
But as I've ALWAYS said, starting is NOT what is important, minutes is what is important.

Hagans
Quade
Johnson
Washington
Richards

You could easily insert Herro in for Quade, but I think having that scoring come off the bench adds a lot of value to our second team. Quade doesn't have the same play style and I think utilizing the energy Herro brings off the bench makes more sense than bringing Quade off the bench.

Hey, I have 2 more cents to add. Before last night's exhibition, I thought I had a pretty good feel for who would start, but last night made me second guess some things.

A couple things that surprised me a bit...
Nick Richards didn't even look like the same player from the spring. His offense looked very solid last night.
Tyler Herro's mid-range game could be a game changer. If he can curl off screens and hit a 10-12 footer consistently, he could start.
EJ Montgomery was jittery but looks better to me than I expected.

But as I said above, it's hard to tell. Our guards all looked pretty good with the ball and I liked some of the defense I saw. But nobody could buy a shot and nobody really separated themselves, in my opinion.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Too early for this thread...but why not speculate. Not sure who starts early in the season, but I believe these guys will lead the team in minutes by year end.
1. Travis. 14 boards in 22 minutes...an experienced player who is a rock inside.
2. Herro...love his all around game..good handle, much better athlete than advertised. Can play multiple positions.
3. Hagans....sensational athlete. If he can shoot, he'll be a top 15 pick. That's a big if though
4. PJ....like his new haircut.
5. Johnson....close between him and Green...both will get their share of minutes. He looked like he was rushing everything last night...great athlete. He needs to can some of the trash talking.

Reactions: ManitouDan
I had the thought for about 0.006 nanoseconds of saying how chippy we were , LOT of chatter , but I didnt want anyone to burn my house down . Attitude is GREAT , IMO it needs to be earned though .

No doubt. Richards isn't as good as Ried. And Reid didn't come here to sit. We didn't recruit him as a 5th year to sit. Give him 18 minutes per game and we will never see another transfer like him.

Are there enough such transfers like him to care?

How long will he be better than Richards?

Are we sure Richards hasn't made strides to come closer than many would guess already?

Why don't you think the staff can evaluate who can contribute what and how much?

With the quality and talent at the 4/5 spots is it realistic to think anyone is going to get 35 minutes a game?

If Travis goes from not drafted to the first round why would similar prospects shy away?
He was a one man gang with all the clock he could eat at Stanford and it didn't pave a path to his goal so maybe it isn't about maximum playing time but maximizing potential.

Reactions: eb4ukcats
My reactionary, one pre-pre-season, right now reaction is...

Quickly
Herro
Johnson
Washington
Richards

Travis
Hagans
Green
Montgomery

All the 1's are really close though, pure match ups and who is playing best a given day and I think Montgomery will jewel up nicely and maybe be our best player by the end of the year.

Green doesn't have the starting gap that the extra year should afford. I'm concerned that he will fall into about the 4th guard and Baker hasn't played any yet.

Based ONLY on that one game, and naming MY starting 5, not Cal's:

Hagans
Green
Herro
PJ
Richards

Hagans was playing with incredible intensity and I loved the defense and the rebounding from him. Green was our only guy giving out assists last night (aside from Quickley), so I put him in. Richards looked great, and we can pair a tall lanky guy with a bruiser both in the starting lineup and off the bench. Herro is gonna get buckets.

Would not be surprised at all of our starting lineup included all our returners who played last season

Reactions: ganner918
1. Green- by a slim margin over Hagans
2. TH
3. KJ
4. RT- Rebounds like a man
5. Richards - would love to see consistent play like that from him.

If you don't think Herro should start or at least get tons of minutes then I don't know what you're watching. He's the type of player that we will need on the floor. Perfectly built for college basketball.

Hagans
Herro
Johnson
Pj
Reid

That's the starting five, easy to see.

You could put Green at the 2 but I think it's obvious Green is the perfect 6 man. Off the bench and will give us a player just as good who can play both guard spots and has that 6th man boost. 6th men are just as valuable as starters.

Seems like it shouldn't even be a question.

Quickly
Green
Baker
Montgomery
Richards.

There's your second five. Good enough to make a sweet 16 or better.

No platoons. Its good enough to beat up a weak SEC and watered down schedule but It doesn't help in the tournament because you can't platoon in tournament and it also killed our recruiting. He will never platoon again and shouldn't. I know jon Scott disagrees and he's wrong.
Built a lot like your avatar.

Richard's
PJ
Keldon
Herro
Hagans

It is so early, it is tough to say, but, at this time your 5 would be mine, assuming that Hagans can learn to run the offense better, and not try to force passes into traffic. However, I don't think who starts is that important, since the 5 on the floor will change depending on the match ups.

You don't have him in your top 6 says that without saying it..or did you just forget he was on the team?

Green will start ..I hope it's Hagans
Herro
KJ
PJ
Travis

i never listed the first big off the bench (for a reason), all i listed was the first guard/small forward off the bench
has nothing to do with top 6/7 or whatever
i think PJ will be the first big off the bench
i think it will be situational later in the game
late game it would be tough having RT and PJ both in the game, neither have proven they can hit a FT
they would get rebounds but as of right now it would be nullified due to poor FT shooting

stoney you are a good poster but i think you overreached on your assessment of my post

It still has to hurt if you are a 5 star recruit and started your entire life.

I have to respectfully disagree the starting 5 can have a major impact on dictating the game early on. Who in the hell wants to start a game being down by 10-12 points. Why not put Lebron James on the bench and start Yugo Slakia in his place.

Well, if you have some large drop off I guess it can hurt a little bit at the beginning of the game. But even then, usually when a guy that is lesser starts (like Cal did with Richards last year) they are yanked 2 minutes in and it only impacts about 3-4 possessions which aren't going to put you down 10-12 based on that. And with this team all these kids aren't separated by much so there really is no big drop off regardless of who starts.

Ultimately I don't think who starts means much. It might hurt a minimal amount in a setup where you have drop off (won't apply to this team). And it might affect the mentality of the weaker minded players (strong minded players won't be affected). But it's very minimal.

As a fan, I'm mostly concerned with who the best five are in a tight game with 5 minutes to go. That's what a coach mostly wants to figure out imo. And because sometimes they don't start those same 5 that shows you that coaches aren't terribly concerned with who starts. Definitely not close to who finishes.

Starting is primarily a concern for fans, and the weaker minded players. It's way overblown.

So now we ve seen some games most any starting lineup will be fine with me. However I have changed my mind some after yesterday’s game. I think we need Travis on the floor for roughly 30 min a game bc the dude wears out the competition. You have him pound for 7 min then put Richards in fresh and Richards will look even better than he did this weekend.

Travis 7-8 minutes minimum maybe 10 then Richards for 5-6 min
PJ 7-8 min to do like Travis and physically break down opponents front court
Johnson 5-6 min
Hero 5-6+ min to start
Quade

This is a lineup designed to break the opponent. Pj and Reid will abuse front court players. Kheldon too is going to physically break opponents. While that’s happening we are killing them on the perimeter so zone will not work. Opponent is struggling then bring in fresh

After first subs
Richards 5-6 min or longer if he’s gettkng it done.
Travis to continue to bust heads rebound and open things up
Hero
Quickley
Hagans

This is the second wave. Dead eye shooter to bust zone opening it up for Richards. Travis cracking skulls then two pgs to wear down opposing guards. If we need better shoooting sub quade back in for hagans or quick

I don’t know where Montgomery fits or baker but I doubt cal will run 5 for 5 platoons. So my feeling is based on the physical prowess of this team Montgomery sees like 10 min a game

Travis could play entire games. He gets better as game goes on and needs 30 minutes minimum on the floor for us to win a title. By March we may want him playing full games between the 4 and 5

Pj is similar needs 25 min per game at least. He’s a load too and he is fit.

Richards is a mismatch for about any team. He can benefit greatly with Travis physically breaking opponents and their will. Richards can look really good:

Hero needs 25 minutes at least. We need his scoring and shooting without a doubt. Maybe 30 min

KJ needs 20 min. If he’s on push it to 30 min I feel like he gets better as the game wears down too so I would be in favor of him getting more along the lines of 25-30 min.

Quade any where between 20-30 min a game depending on if he’s on and if we need zone buster. Plus he’s a second pg whenever he’s on the floor

Hagans/quickley depends on what we need. Hagans more min if we need a lock down defender. Quick more min if we need a little more scoring ball movement, etc. These guys are interchangeable.

As everyone has pointed out, there are so many options; it's a great problem to have. I think there's some coaching psychology involved here, and none of us are in a position to figure out that angle. I'll take a wild guess, though:

Richards- The two best players in our frontcourt are Travis and PJ, but I'm guessing that Richards would benefit the most emotionally by starting.
Travis- Didn't come here to not start.
Washington- Didn't come back to not start
Green- I love his poise and his shooting. Cal likes 2 pgs on the floor, and so do I.
Quickley- Again, his poise, fluidity and shooting.

What... no KJ? I know he's our only real 3, but he can come in very soon if we've got a problem guarding some excellent wing. The combination of him, Herro and Hagans provides an incredible boost off the bench- energy, aggressiveness, scoring and even shooting (Herro and KJ).

I don't care about the stinking starting lineup... let's project ahead into March.
Richards
Reid
Washington
Herro
Green

Hagans, IQ and Johnson quickly off bench, if Herro and Green aren't scoring or SFs are dogging.... to get that "microwave"
and Richards back on his short leash for EJ

what a great problem to have...

As everyone has pointed out, there are so many options; it's a great problem to have. I think there's some coaching psychology involved here, and none of us are in a position to figure out that angle. I'll take a wild guess, though:

Richards- The two best players in our frontcourt are Travis and PJ, but I'm guessing that Richards would benefit the most emotionally by starting.
Travis- Didn't come here to not start.
Washington- Didn't come back to not start
Green- I love his poise and his shooting. Cal likes 2 pgs on the floor, and so do I.
Quickley- Again, his poise, fluidity and shooting.

What... no KJ? I know he's our only real 3, but he can come in very soon if we've got a problem guarding some excellent wing. The combination of him, Herro and Hagans provides an incredible boost off the bench- energy, aggressiveness, scoring and even shooting (Herro and KJ).
I believe KJ is the best player in this team and Green is the one I want shooting when the game is on the line.
Green
Quickley
Johnson
Washington
Richards

The bench production will win us a lot of games this season.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
PJ and Travis on the floor at the same time wasn’t all that great! The offense seemed to struggle. Yea it came along eventually. We looked better starting IQ, Green, KJ, Washington, and Richards. Bringing Herro, Travis, and Hagans off the bench worked the best!

Green and Quickley pair the best together. Interchangeable at the PG/SG. Both can shoot, both play well with or without the ball. Quickley has the size to defend the 2 and allows Green to guard the 1 most of the time. They pair well together.

Hagans and Herro pair the best together. They have clearly define roles. Hagans is the PG and the defensive guy. Herro is a pure wing and a scoring machine. Opposites that pair well together.

Washington and Richards play well together. They played together last year.

Montgomery and Travis seem to fit well together. On offense, Travis is more of a low post scorer while Montgomery can play facing up. On defense, Travis can bang inside or defend on the perimeter, while Montgomery has the potential to be a rim protector. Travis is the seasoned veteran and Montgomery is the talented rookie.

So I like them in pairs.

I like Hagans/Herro off the bench for energy.

I like Washington/Richards starting to keep Richards' confidence up.

Reactions: ganner918
Quade is starting people lol. What did you all watch? QG, KJ, PJ are the only locks as of today. Give me Herro off the bench. Right now idc who starts at five. Whoever matches up best with the opponent will get most minutes.

I've been saying for a couple months now, PLATOON would be a good option for this team (but I'm skeptical that it will happen).
Why would it be a good option for this team?
1) 10 deep (if Baker can play)
2) no star players who should get 30+mpg
3) not much difference between the #4 & #5 players than the # 8 & #9 guys
4) a Platoon does NOT have to be a 50/50 split, a 60/40 split would be 24mpg & 16mpg for the 2 groups

Just watched them for the first time

They should run lots of bodies like the 1996 team

Green
TH
KJ
PJ
RT

Its hard to pick because everyone played so well. Travis ability to rebound sets him apart from Nick in my opinion. Although Nicks rim protection seemed improved. IQ played like a boss and deserves consideration as well.

It also wouldn't be out of the question for Green or Tyler to take the 6th man role coming in as that offensive spark off the
bench.

Hagans was also impressive as crap. Cal has to be licking his chops thinking of all of these different lineup combinations.

A healthy EJ and Jermarl will make it even tougher to whittle it down to the 7 or 8 man rotation he likes.

Edit: It seems the staff has Quade playing more off the ball than as the PG so he and TH have similar roles in the offense I doubt my lineup will be the one they actually run with.

This is gonna be a fun season!

Last edited:
Once again many underrating Quickley due to lack of flash and instead going with Hagans. I like Hagans intensity on defense but some ignore his carelessness with the ball which is HUGE. Quickley not turning over the ball, good defense, ability to shoot which opens the floor is more important than some seem to realize. The minute distribution they had on the trip seems like a good idea.

Starting doesn’t matter much but it’s important to start out a game on good notes especially when it comes to turn big the offense with no turnovers and not trying to force things.

Quickley
Green
Johnson
PJ
Nick

We have seen that that line up works so why change it? Then distribute minutes based on how well someone is playing

No clue, and no one else has one either...probably even Cal lol.

For this team, it is much more important who Cal chooses to finish off close games to get us the title. I think no matter who starts, all players will get run this year....this will be the most balanced rotation since 2015 IMO.

no really right or wrong starting

my starting five after the Bahamas trip
AH
IQ
KJ
PJ
NR
that is my best guess for a starting five to set the tone and break the other teams spirit

then the bench comes in and puts the nail in the coffin

I believe KJ is the best player in this team and Green is the one I want shooting when the game is on the line.
Green
Quickley
Johnson
Washington
Richards

The bench production will win us a lot of games this season.
Same here. This is the team id like to see start. Rotate in the rest.

Cal should have a different starting five all the time, just to avoid the angst fans will have over who starts.

Well, I guess I'm ready to name my starting 5, though I must admit these guys all played so well it's gonna be tough to do...
I gotta leave out EJ and Jemarl because I haven't seen enough of them.

PG- Immanuel Quickley (he was steady with the ball and will improve)
SG- Quade Green (after 1st game he looked great- can shoot and score from multiple places)
SF- Keldon Johnson (he's your high flyer, finisher, and he's going to bring the intensity)
PF- PJ Washington (he looks ready to have a great year- better in every way)
C- Nick Richards (most improved returning player- he does better starting)

Bench
G- Tyler Herro (his instant offense will kill teams- we will extend the lead and put teams away with Herro)
F- Reid Travis (he will play a bunch of minutes- I like him and PJ in together. He'll lead the team in rebounding)
G- Ashton Hagans (has further to go than some of the others, but I love his defensive mindset, which will get him on the floor)

I honestly think just about any mix of these 8 will be great. There never really seemed to be much of a drop-off to me. What we lose in shooting with one guy we pick up in defense with another.

Now, add in Montgomery and Baker and my head might explode trying to figure it all out, but that's a great problem to have. I am itching to see what Baker brings. He's such an enigma still. I'm just hoping we get to see him before opening day.

ADVERTISEMENT