ADVERTISEMENT

Based on what you saw name your starting 5

Hagans
Green
Johnson
PJ
RT

Havent seen enough to warrant Quade on the bench. Needs to make shots tonight.

Reactions: stenchymouse
The lineup is fluid, and will change throughout the season in my opinion. I think this team is too balanced and too deep to have a "traditional starting five".

With that said, I really liked the lineup of:

Hagans
Herro
Johnson
Washington
Travis

But Richards was fantastic as well. How about his improvement over the summer! Kid looks so much more confident and stronger with the ball.

Montgomery looked really good as well.

One thing that was apparent last night: We are LOADED in the front court. We are going to wear down opposing big guys this season.

Platoon!

That's what's gonna happen. Cal won't use that word again for obvious reasons, but we're gonna be platooning. And I dont' really know how else you manage all this talent and showcase all these kids, help them get ready for the draft, etc. Good news they're all really good. Bad news is it might take away minutes from some who are a little more deserving. Ultimately, we're gonna be really really good. Just hope we can get it done.

The lineup is fluid, and will change throughout the season in my opinion. I think this team is too balanced and too deep to have a "traditional starting five".

With that said, I really liked the lineup of:

Hagans
Herro
Johnson
Washington
Travis

But Richards was fantastic as well. How about his improvement over the summer! Kid looks so much more confident and stronger with the ball.

Montgomery looked really good as well.

One thing that was apparent last night: We are LOADED in the front court. We are going to wear down opposing big guys this season.

We were best when we had three guard line up. If you have pj, rt, and kj in that rotation it crowds it up.

Platoon!

That's what's gonna happen. Cal won't use that word again for obvious reasons, but we're gonna be platooning. And I dont' really know how else you manage all this talent and showcase all these kids, help them get ready for the draft, etc. Good news they're all really good. Bad news is it might take away minutes from some who are a little more deserving. Ultimately, we're gonna be really really good. Just hope we can get it done.

I actually don't see platoon.

If you don't think Herro should start or at least get tons of minutes then I don't know what you're watching. He's the type of player that we will need on the floor. Perfectly built for college basketball.

Hagans
Herro
Johnson
Pj
Reid

That's the starting five, easy to see.

You could put Green at the 2 but I think it's obvious Green is the perfect 6 man. Off the bench and will give us a player just as good who can play both guard spots and has that 6th man boost. 6th men are just as valuable as starters.

Seems like it shouldn't even be a question.

Quickly
Green
Baker
Montgomery
Richards.

There's your second five. Good enough to make a sweet 16 or better.

No platoons. Its good enough to beat up a weak SEC and watered down schedule but It doesn't help in the tournament because you can't platoon in tournament and it also killed our recruiting. He will never platoon again and shouldn't. I know jon Scott disagrees and he's wrong.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
We were best when we had three guard line up. If you have pj, rt, and kj in that rotation it crowds it up.

I see your point, but KJ is a much better shooter than what he displayed last night. Didn't Cal say he has the best 3-pt percentage in practice than anybody else on the team?

If he hits a couple, that opens up a lot of room for PJ and RT. Which is particularly dangerous when you consider they both warrant a double team in most cases (unless we are playing somebody like WVU with Konate).

If you don't think Herro should start or at least get tons of minutes then I don't know what you're watching. He's the type of player that we will need on the floor. Perfectly built for college basketball.

Hagans
Herro
Johnson
Pj
Reid

You could put Green at the 2 but I think it's obvious Green is the perfect 6 man. Off the bench and will give us a player just as good who can play both guard spots and has that 6th man boost. 6th men are just as valuable as starters.

Quickly
Green
Baker
Montgomery
Richards.

Just so much parity on this team. Such a great problem to have.

Quickley looked more comfortable at PG at times then Hagans (offensively), but Hagans is obviously worlds ahead on defense.

Richards and Montgomery both looked great.

We all know what Green is capable of, and he has experience.

Baker remains to be seen. He's probably the best pure 3-pt shooter on the team, and we've yet to see him play in a UK jersey. Exciting stuff.

Richards is gonna have to show me more than 1 game to start over Travis. Hell, Reid had a bad game and still brought in 14 rebounds. I’d be willing to bet Travis will bounce back big tonight. Either way, it’s a good problem to have.

No doubt. Richards isn't as good as Ried. And Reid didn't come here to sit. We didn't recruit him as a 5th year to sit. Give him 18 minutes per game and we will never see another transfer like him.

Hagans
Quickley
Johnson
Travis
Richards

the first guard/small forward off the bench - Herro

Plenty of minutes to go around. Most of these guys will be better off playing closer to 25 minutes per game than 35. This is going to be a high effort, high energy team.

Hagans
Herro
Johnson
Pj
Reid

Quickly
Green
Baker
Montgomery
Richards.

No platoons. Its good enough to beat up a weak SEC and watered down schedule but It doesn't help in the tournament because you can't platoon in tournament and it also killed our recruiting. He will never platoon again and shouldn't. I know jon Scott disagrees and he's wrong.

you wrote a lot, but a lot of flaw to your argument.

You say its easy to see...yet LITERALLY yesterday, Richards started...

No doubt. Richards isn't as good as Ried. And Reid didn't come here to sit. We didn't recruit him as a 5th year to sit. Give him 18 minutes per game and we will never see another transfer like him.
If Richards continues to dominate would you sit pj so Reid starts then. Tough question cause Richards is the best rim protector on the team. I think the starting 5 will change throughout the season.

Richards interesting case cause if he’s playing well will be difficult not to start him. Then comes down to pj or Reid sitting

Reactions: Wildcats1st
you wrote a lot, but a lot of flaw to your argument.

You say its easy to see...yet LITERALLY yesterday, Richards started...

Richards shouldn't start over Reid. Reid is a 5th year transfer who's more active and a lot smarter on the floor. He doesn't even know the players or system but he's active. Richards is good also but na. Reid is gonna be a horse. I'm still not there on Richards.

The rest seem easy to see. Hagans Herro Johnson Pj should all be starting. If Montgomery blows up you could alter it.

Maybe next week it would look different.

With the talent level on this squad, I would be surprised if 8 or 9 guys make a serious case to start.

That said, I really liked what I saw out of Herro/Johnson/Richards yesterday. Considering 2/3 of those guys were in my preseason back of the rotation, that really bodes well for this team's potential.

Richards shouldn't start over Reid. Reid is a 5th year transfer who's more active and a lot smarter on the floor. He doesn't even know the players or system but he's active. Richards is good also but na. Reid is gonna be a horse. I'm still not there on Richards.

The rest seem easy to see. Hagans Herro Johnson Pj should all be starting. If Montgomery blows up you could alter it.

Richards doesn't exactly have to start over RT. He can start over PJ also. However, my point is simple, you argued as a fact when reality contradict your argument.

PJ and RT combination is a questionable, because they provide too much of the same. RT is great. His rebounding is awesome, and if he can pass out to our shooters would be fantastic.

but the reality is our starting line up was Green, Herro, KJ, PJ, and Richards. I am not saying they WILL be our starting line up. However, i do see that Cal and staff is still working things out.

Richards doesn't exactly have to start over RT. He can start over PJ also. However, my point is simple, you argued as a fact when reality contradict your argument.

PJ and RT combination is a questionable, because they provide too much of the same. RT is great. His rebounding is awesome, and if he can pass out to our shooters would be fantastic.

but the reality is our starting line up was Green, Herro, KJ, PJ, and Richards. I am not saying they WILL be our starting line up. However, i do see that Cal and staff is still working things out.

I don't see how Green holds a starting spot. Cal loves guards like Hagans and green is a perfect 6th man guard.

I don't see why Reid and Pj don't compliment each other.

Richards is still slow and I just don't think he's got a good nose for the ball relative to Reid.

We'll see. I'm just not sold on Richards yet.

Based ONLY on that one game, and naming MY starting 5, not Cal's:

Hagans
Green
Herro
PJ
Richards

Hagans was playing with incredible intensity and I loved the defense and the rebounding from him. Green was our only guy giving out assists last night (aside from Quickley), so I put him in. Richards looked great, and we can pair a tall lanky guy with a bruiser both in the starting lineup and off the bench. Herro is gonna get buckets.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
PG- Hagans
SG- Herro
SF- KJ
PF- PJ
C- Richards

Tho it’s a toss up between PJ answer Travis at the 4.

Fun lineup would be
PG- Hagans
SG- KJ
SF- PJ
PF- Travis
C- Richards

First of all who starts really isn't all that important BUT If we go based on what I saw last night it should be - Quickley Herro Johnson PJ Richards . IMO though since one game in August means little I would start Quickley Green Johnson PJ Travis .

No clue right now. I see a lot of kids that aren't separated by much. Talented and deep without any real superstars imo.

I would say PJ is the only player I'm confident is part of our best 5 right now. I have some guys that I like a lot and could project but it would just be guesswork this early.

Btw, I say best 5, because honestly who starts is utterly meaningless. What matters is who is the 5 in the last 5 minutes of a close game.

Fresh waves of bodies constantly checking in and out...this squad will bitch slap and grind most foes to death.

looney-tunes-gif-5.gif

It still has to hurt if you are a 5 star recruit and started your entire life.
No clue right now. I see a lot of kids that aren't separated by much. Talented and deep without any real superstars imo.

I would say PJ is the only player I'm confident is part of our best 5 right now. I have some guys that I like a lot and could project but it would just be guesswork this early.

Btw, I say best 5, because honestly who starts is utterly meaningless. What matters is who is the 5 in the last 5 minutes of a close game.

I have to respectfully disagree the starting 5 can have a major impact on dictating the game early on. Who in the hell wants to start a game being down by 10-12 points. Why not put Lebron James on the bench and start Yugo Slakia in his place.

I don't see how Green holds a starting spot. Cal loves guards like Hagans and green is a perfect 6th man guard.

I don't see why Reid and Pj don't compliment each other.

Richards is still slow and I just don't think he's got a good nose for the ball relative to Reid.

We'll see. I'm just not sold on Richards yet.

Herro had a really good game, and you can see the talent. No one is questioning that.

Quade is also very good. If he makes 2 of those 3's--that puts him at 33%, and then 1 more 2 point shot--suddenly he's 4/11--which is only 36% overall, 33% from 3. I think he'll outdo that. But if he hits those as a minimum--suddenly he's got 10 points, 5 assists, and everyone's talking about how he's the veteran leader at point guard. He had the best plus/minus of anyone. His shots will start to fall.

If he continues to struggle and Herro continues to score like he did last night, then there's no way Quade holds him off. But I'm expecting Quade to shoot way better, and hold down the starting spot to start the year.

To me, your starters/finishers are your most reliable guys. I think Quade is going to be one of our most reliable all year long. When I think reliable, I think Quade, PJ, Travis.

Bench guys, I want high energy, score in bunches. I always think of Jamal Crawford from the NBA. To me, Herro is that kind of guy. He much better fits that mold than Quade. Same thinking for me with Richards/Montgomery. Richards showed some spark yesterday and scored in bunches. I worry that he's not there in terms of consistency just yet, and that will keep him from starting over the others.

ADVERTISEMENT