ADVERTISEMENT

Barnhart finally says no to whiny Cal

Barnhart should tell Cal, no problem on the facilities upgrade, how much of your salary do you want going toward it?

Barnhart is the one who gave him the lifetime deal. If you’re Cal why would you not take that offer. This post trying to defend Mitch is doing the opposite lol.

Kentucky wants both. Yes, we have modern facilities. But we also want players that care about their game and want to honor the history of our basketball tradition.
Most of the players don't stay at UK long enough to worry about the dorm. At this point, they haven't been playing well enough for a dorm.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
i just wish people would look up who is paying the majority of cals contract. i think UK only pays like 400,000.00 per year
So, who would be responsible for his $50M buyout?

This problem has nothing to do with his salary. It's all about that ridiculous lifetime contract and the even more ridiculous buyout.

Whose going to have to come up with that money if Mitch decides its time for Cal to move on???

Watch out for Arkansas. UK missed out on Nick Smith who is a top ten mock draft pick next year. Doubt it was the dorms. they have been recruiting at high level recently. They've got really strong basketball facilities completed in 2015. However, Dorms are like most colleges.... a push towards suites (single room, shared living room and bathroom).

Seems like to stay ahead of competition for OAD recruits, a good NIL deal and corporate partnership is have the Four Seasons Hotel, JW Marriott, Ritz Carlton or etc build an on campus dorm or even a small 50 room hotel and then have NIL deals with the players to stay there. Will be funded by wealthy fans attending hoops and football games ad graduations and house visiting executive and luminaries. and the hotel company in a marketing partnership. They'll keep those facilities leading edge and offset what UK pays while also providing an NIL deal to players.

I haven’t seen their dorms and don’t really need to, I doubt they are better than ours. That is still irrelevant to the point that ours might not be great though.
I posted a video for posters like you and yes, it does matter, because you were using what Trea Young's mom said to bolster your stance on this whole thing.

At least recognize that Trea and his mom were reaching to find something to complain about. You can't go to Oklahoma after trashing UK's living accommodations.

Last edited:
I posted a video for posters like you and yes, it does matter, hecause you were using wahat Trea Young's mom said to bolster your stance on this whole thing.

At least recognize that Trea and his mom were reaching to find something to complain about. You can't go to Oklahoma after trashing UK's living accommodations.
Sure you can, all it means is that it wasn’t really a factor in you decision. That is your better argument to make. Saying that they are basically lying and there is nothing wrong with our dorms just because he went to OU is silly.

Maybe stop recruiting prima donnas that are worried about their dorm and start recruiting some hungry basketball players
Here’s a news flash. None of these kids are coming to Kentucky for the things you want them to. They don’t care about the state, the history, the program, or the fans. Oscar is an outlier. They come here for the resources that allow them to fast track to the NBA. Along the way they will hopefully win games to entertain us fans. The dorms and facilities correlate to the level of player that UK lands. You should want to keep up with the other programs that we compete with. You wanna win or do you wanna be indiana?

now get off my lawn.

Reactions: Ed323232
Here’s a news flash. None of these kids are coming to Kentucky for the things you want them to. They don’t care about the state, the history, the program, or the fans. Oscar is an outlier. They come here for the resources that allow them to fast track to the NBA. Along the way they will hopefully win games to entertain us fans. The dorms and facilities correlate to the level of player that UK lands. You should want to keep up with the other programs that we compete with. You wanna win or do you wanna be indiana?

now get off my lawn.
Great post

now get off my lawn.
News flash for you! Most fans don't give a crap what the kids come here for; however, they do care about having a coach who cares enough to ensure that the kids earn some if not all that they receive from the university. Sharpe gave nothing to the university but received a safe and quality place to practice, lots of undeserved attention, and the use of a blueblood program name for the NBA draft.

Last edited:
News flash for you! Most fans don't give a crap what the kids come here for; however, they do care about having a coach who cares enough to ensure that the kids earn some if not all that they receive from the university. Sharpe gave nothing to the university but received a safe and quality place to practice, lots of undeserved attention, and the use of a blueblood program to use for the NBA draft.
Most fans should care what the kids come here for, as it typically directly relates to the quality of talent that commits. For anyone that doesn’t care why they come, I’d advise to place a sock in the mouth when we sign a 2 star.

There are some that do abide by this philosophy and do not throw new recruits or project players under the bus. These folks are fully committed to the idea of not caring why a player signs here (as well as why someone didn’t). They do not disparage or question the signing, and I at least respect that, although disagree with it

Most fans should care what the kids come here for, as it typically directly relates to the quality of talent that commits. For anyone that doesn’t care why they come, I’d advise to place a sock in the mouth when we sign a 2 star.

There are some that do abide by this philosophy and do not throw new recruits or project players under the bus. These folks are fully committed to the idea of not caring why a player signs here (as well as why someone didn’t). They do not disparage or question the signing, and I at least respect that, although disagree with it
Don't get it twisted! I didn't say fans don't care about player rankings because you are highly unlikely to get more from the kid than what his performance history rates him. I said fans don't care why the kid comes as long as the coach demands and gets from the kids what they are capable of providing. Since kids have been coached to tell recruiters exactly what they want to hear, there is no way of really knowing why kids selected any given university and as long as kids produce, it isn't that important.

I think the dorm is a small issue. But after the 2 seasons we've had--I'd like to think UK is aiming to have the best of everything for basketball.

While this is true, I’m not sure new dorms will fix what ails the Cats and Calipari.
Oh 100%.

I just think if you're going to the PGA Tour, you don't go with some starter clubs and cheap balls. The clubs and balls won't make you great. But get every miniscule positive you can.

I suppose as an employee, he’s just going to have to suck it up and deal with his boss’s decision. Good reminder to him that Mitch is his boss and not the other way around.
Then criticize mitch with equal vigor when they lose a recruit.

Oh 100%.

I just think if you're going to the PGA Tour, you don't go with some starter clubs and cheap balls. The clubs and balls won't make you great. But get every miniscule positive you can.
I like golf analogies so I appreciate that. However, it’s been pointed out on here that programs like Duke and Carolina by no means have an advantage on us in this department. KU maybe slightly since their’s are newer. By all accounts, we still have some of the absolute nicest housing facilities for our basketball players in the entire country.

Last edited:
Fans: We are UK. We deserve to have the best of the best in terms of facilities.

Cal: Mitch we need to upgrade the facilities. We are behind the times.

Mitch: No Cal.

Fans: Way to go Mitch putting Cal in his place. Letting him know who the boss is.

I mean man. People that like Cal here get called out for being fans of Cal and not the team but some posts make me wonder if it's not the only way around.

Who the heck wouldn't want upgrades? Especially if we are behind other premier schools. Now as far as on court performance does things like this make a whole lot of difference? No not at all. But still as a UK fan, I'd want the best for our players and team. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't.

I like golf analogies so I appreciate that. However, it’s been pointed out on here that programs like Duke and Carolina by no means have an advantage on us in this department. KU maybe slightly since there’s are newer. By all accounts, we still have some of the absolute nicest housing facilities for our basketball players in the entire country.
Not true. Not even close.

Fans: We are UK. We deserve to have the best of the best in terms of facilities.

Cal: Mitch we need to upgrade the facilities. We are behind the times.

Mitch: No Cal.

Fans: Way to go Mitch putting Cal in his place. Letting him know who the boss is.

I mean man. People that like Cal here get called out for being fans of Cal and not the team but some posts make me wonder if it's not the only way around.

Who the heck wouldn't want upgrades? Especially if we are behind other premier schools. Now as far as on court performance does things like this make a whole lot of difference? No not at all. But still as a UK fan, I'd want the best for our players and team. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't.
It’s almost as if you haven’t really read the thread.

I think the dorm is a small issue. But after the 2 seasons we've had--I'd like to think UK is aiming to have the best of everything for basketball.
UK facilities aren't bad enough to cause us to lose out on recruits. Look at all the top kids going to Duke to play in that hole in the wall. Kids aren't coming to UK because they don't want to play in Cal's dated offense. Nor do they want to be screamed at non-stop when they lose because Cal's coaching sucks. We no longer get the best big men because they don't want to be stuck under the basket unable to develop the rest of their skills, imho.

Last edited:
Sure you can, all it means is that it wasn’t really a factor in you decision. That is your better argument to make. Saying that they are basically lying and there is nothing wrong with our dorms just because he went to OU is silly.
But there is really nothing wrong with the players living accomodations at UK. They may not be the best, but Cal's results haven't been near the best either and he's had the most NBA talent at his disposal. I'd say his performance is costing UK more recruits than the living accomodations tbh. Do you think recruits are cool with Cal's yelling all game long and outdated/simple offense? These kids have a front row seat to that clown show when they come on their visits and go to UK games.

BTW, throwing another 10 mill at another new dorm is what's silly, because it's a competition you can only win for a year or two, or until someone else builds a newer facility.

So what's Cal going to do, ask Mitch every two years for a new dorm?

Reactions: kywildcat41086

now get off my lawn.
That may be true of UK, but take a good hard look at the schools that are winning titles. Those teams/programs actually develop their guys over several years. They are putting juniors and seniors on the court that have come up through their respective programs.

Sure, Baylor had some transfers, but they stayed in the program for multiple years, they didn’t go there to fast track to the NBA. Some of them made it to the NBA, but that's because they stayed in an actual program that trained them for years.

Heck, Baylor has been redshirting kids, does Cal even know what that is?

Cal is recruiting kids that don't give a shit about UK, they are here for the short cut to the draft and all they have is potential, because that's all the NBA cares about. It’s the worst thing you could do if winning titles is your goal and the proof is right there in front of everyone. Not only is Cal not getting to final 4's, or winning titles, heck, he can't even beat power 5 teams in the tournament anymore.

The game has changed, Cal is just now starting to realize that, but now he's behind the curve. Maybe there will be another NBA lockout before Cal decides to retire.

Obviously the fans care enough to attend games and support the players, but the buck stops at crap like the Sharpe fiasco.

The BBN is getting tired of these kids that want to be catered to in their one year in Lexington.

However, these kids are still getting everything they want here, Cal is making sure of that and now, they're using UK more than ever, so save the whole "fans should care" speach for someone else.

Reactions: susan2361
Obviously the fans care enough to attend games and support the players, but the buck stops at crap like the Sharpe fiasco.

The BBN is getting tired of these kids that want to be catered to in their one year in Lexington.

However, these kids are still getting everything they want here, Cal is making sure of that and now, they're using UK more than ever, so save the whole "fans should care" speach for someone else.
Where did I say fans should care? I’m simply calling a spade a spade. I do have a major problem with people on here that say they don’t care about facilities or reasons why a player chooses to come here ...AND THEN have the audacity to complain about mediocre recruiting classes.

If you don’t care about either, then like I say that’s fine by me.

And what fan is happy with the Sharpe fiasco? It is still not an accurate depiction of modern day recruiting. I’ll give you Sharpe didn’t play (that’s 1). Do you really want me to list, quite literally, every single other recruit in his class, that did play? (I’m not going to).

The proof is in the pudding. If you all want to take this one outlier and make it seem that it’s how it is now, you won’t be getting anyone of any intelligence to agree with it. I’ll give a pass to those who haven’t experienced 4th grade math class and the topics of “ratios”, “percentages”, and “averages”

Where did I say fans should care? I’m simply calling a spade a spade. I do have a major problem with people on here that say they don’t care about facilities or reasons why a player chooses to come here ...AND THEN have the audacity to complain about mediocre recruiting classes.

If you don’t care about either, then like I say that’s fine by me.

And what fan is happy with the Sharpe fiasco? It is still not an accurate depiction of modern day recruiting. I’ll give you Sharpe didn’t play (that’s 1). Do you really want me to list, quite literally, every single other recruit in his class, that did play? (I’m not going to).

The proof is in the pudding. If you all want to take this one outlier and make it seem that it’s how it is now, you won’t be getting anyone of any intelligence to agree with it. I’ll give a pass to those who haven’t experienced 4th grade math class and the topics of “ratios”, “percentages”, and “averages”
Where did you say the fans should care??? It's the very first thing you said in the post I quoted. Weird.

I think you misunderstood my post. This isn’t about Sharpe and also, you said people were complaining about mediocre recruiting classes. Huh? Who said that?

What can't be denied is Cal's consisrent misses on his primary targets since the 2016 class. It hasn't been pretty, but what Cal HAS done, is bring in a ton of 2nd tier 5* kids that have athleticsm in spades, but have little basketball IQ. So, he still gets highly rated recruiting classes, but most of those classes are fools gold.

You’re not winning dick when your prized recruits are BJ Boston, Kevin Knox, PJ Washington, Whitney, Collins and sideshow Bob.

But here's the thing, Zion didn’t turn his nose up at UK because the dorms, no, he went to duke because they promised him everything he wanted, including a house for his family to move into.

But you really should read your posts before you say you did, or didn't say something.

Where did you say the fans should care??? It's the very first thing you said in the post I quoted. Weird.

I think you misunderstood my post. This isn’t about Sharpe and also, you said people were complaining about mediocre recruiting classes. Huh? Who said that?

What can't be denied is Cal's consisrent misses on his primary targets since the 2016 class. It hasn't been pretty, but what Cal HAS done, is bring in a ton of 2nd tier 5* kids that have athleticsm in spades, but have little basketball IQ. So, he still gets highly rated recruiting classes, but most of those classes are fools gold.

You’re not winning dick when your prized recruits are BJ Boston, Kevin Knox, PJ Washington, Whitney, Collins and sideshow Bob.

But here's the thing, Zion didn’t turn his nose up at UK because the dorms, no, he went to duke because they promised him everything he wanted, including a house for his family to move into.

But you really should read your posts before you say you did, or didn't say something.
I said most fans should care about these reasons as it relates to getting quality recruits. I then qualified in that same post, that there are those who don’t care because they don’t pay attention to the recruiting classes and just support the players regardless...and that’s fine, I respect that.

This is all in the post that you incidentally also quoted, yet blatantly chose to ignore for some reason? Weird.

The fact is that the recruiting classes have been in a downward spiral overall, and to me it is very important to get to why that has been happening.

I agree it has nothing to do with Sharpe but I’m not the one who brought him up. I was pointing out it, in fact, this has nothing to do with Sharpe. It has to do with coaches and facilities and a lack of NIL plan from the top of the athletic department

News flash for you! Most fans don't give a crap what the kids come here for; however, they do care about having a coach who cares enough to ensure that the kids earn some if not all that they receive from the university. Sharpe gave nothing to the university but received a safe and quality place to practice, lots of undeserved attention, and the use of a blueblood program name for the NBA draft.

Yep, Dire Straits calls it "Money for Nothing and your Chicks for Free".

That may be true of UK, but take a good hard look at the schools that are winning titles. Those teams/programs actually develop their guys over several years. They are putting juniors and seniors on the court that have come up through their respective programs.

Sure, Baylor had some transfers, but they stayed in the program for multiple years, they didn’t go there to fast track to the NBA. Some of them made it to the NBA, but that's because they stayed in an actual program that trained them for years.

Heck, Baylor has been redshirting kids, does Cal even know what that is?

Cal is recruiting kids that don't give a shit about UK, they are here for the short cut to the draft and all they have is potential, because that's all the NBA cares about. It’s the worst thing you could do if winning titles is your goal and the proof is right there in front of everyone. Not only is Cal not getting to final 4's, or winning titles, heck, he can't even beat power 5 teams in the tournament anymore.

The game has changed, Cal is just now starting to realize that, but now he's behind the curve. Maybe there will be another NBA lockout before Cal decides to retire.
I’m still in the belief that talent wins out more often than not. I’ve coached enough to learn that first hand. I just hope cal can pull enough talent for at least one more run. I still personally don’t care if the players or coaches care about this state and it’s people but it’s a happy bonus if they do. Oscar is one in a million and I will be soaking up every second he’s here. I know my line of thinking is not shared by many people here.

At the end of the day, it’s just ball and I like when the team I follow wins.

ADVERTISEMENT