ADVERTISEMENT

Barnhart finally says no to whiny Cal

I'm more concerned with us getting a quality baseball staff and tackling beer sales than I am new basketball dorms. Is there anything Stoops needs he hasnt gotten? We did just build new ones, though I definitely get they are behind the times in this day and age. I'm just saying on my list of give a fecks new dorms aren't near the top.

I'm more concerned with us getting a quality baseball staff and tackling beer sales than I am new basketball dorms. Is there anything Stoops needs he hasnt gotten? We did just build new ones, though I definitely get they are behind the times in this day and age. I'm just saying on my list of give a fecks new dorms aren't near the top.
Agree with you on the baseball stuff, would like to see us invest there.

Back to my question -- I saw that Kansas opened theirs in 2018. It is very nice. I have yet to see what Duke's or UNC's looks like to compare. I have no idea. Would be interested to see. And again I ask -- how frequently do we need to spend $10 million to keep up in this arms race? Every 5 years? Every 10? Every time someone builds on bigger and better? We take money from the football program? I don't think so. There have to be some budgetary considerations here. And Cal is free to solicit some of that billion+ dollars worth of NBA contracts he loves bragging about out there to put it back into the program if he wants to update these things every time somebody farts.
I don’t know how often, I’m not in that industry. 10 years seams about appropriate.

Back to my question -- I saw that Kansas opened theirs in 2018. It is very nice. I have yet to see what Duke's or UNC's looks like to compare. I have no idea. Would be interested to see. And again I ask -- how frequently do we need to spend $10 million to keep up in this arms race? Every 5 years? Every 10? Every time someone builds on bigger and better? We take money from the football program? I don't think so. There have to be some budgetary considerations here. And Cal is free to solicit some of that billion+ dollars worth of NBA contracts he loves bragging about out there to put it back into the program if he wants to update these things every time somebody farts.
I posted the dorm where a chunk of the basketball players live. It’s nothing special.

KUs is nice but it has very similar amenities to our current one. We have the pool table/game room, the theater for film sessions, don’t have the half court, but the Craft center is literally across the street. So again, I don’t see much difference there.

I’ll try to look up UNCs when I get home. and I can’t imagine a Jesuit school like Zaga has anything special.

Reactions: STL_Cat
I am all for UK being the best of the best. I love this damn program. But that is not Cals intent. Not at all. He is deflecting responsibility. Instead of acknowledging his own shortcomings and not getting the job done, he is dick measuring with Mitch to see where he stands and blaming it on facilities. NONE of what is going on with UK basketball in the past 5 years has anything to do with the facilities. It’s the coach. It’s the culture. Its an outdated style of play. It’s everything. Cal is the issue. Not a damn dorm room. Come on!

^^^^ THIS... Nominated for Post of the Month

Not a bass but thought you might like this. I’ve gotten Wall, Prince, and Miller. Gonna add Calipari and just a bunch of former players from different eras all over it. Should begin on that project sometime this year when I’m in Lexington quite a bit. Epiphone eehhhhh but I couldn’t find any other make.

50775432989ace25e2d9fc7ca7572c7f020fbfbbbaf9147cf2b792a047625b86552067b3.jpg

6287283651ef2680ecec68567c5cc96b04087735340806119871d86d455e3033898a9c9d.jpg
I love it!!!!

I want to put this in perspective. One57, the most expensive building in NYC, started construction in 2009 and was fully opened by 2014. It is still considered the nicest and is the most expensive building in NYC. Building technologies haven’t changed in 10 years. Maybe styles have changed slightly, but an interior decorator can fix that. If the dorm needs to be rebuilt, then there were major errors made in construction in the first place.

As far as posters saying UK facilities should be the very best, of course, and if Mitch could snap his fingers and throw up a luxury building with a bowling alley and all the amenities Cal wants (why didn’t he ask for these 10 years ago?) I’m sure he would. But it would take a large fundraising effort, and likely distract from other more pressing issues in the athletic department. You have a limited supply of fundraising dollars and you’d be going back to the same people who financed the- presumably failed- construction in 2012.

I don’t get the analogy between the two. I’m not for upgrades because Cal wants them, I’m for them if UKs aren’t up to date with the schools we recruit against.
Show me where I said that. I'll be waiting.

Couldn’t find specifics on UNCs housing for basketball. Doesn’t look like they have any special dorm per se. Just a normal dorm hall where students are housed. And it looked about the same as ours.

Same for Zags.
and here is their sports complex

Literally nothing special.

I think Cal’s full of hubris on this one.

It is defitnely eye opening because have you heard a recruit/parent trash a schools housing like that? I haven’t and for her to say that means that there is obviously some parts of it that are lacking behind our competitors. And also, I know how some feel about Cal, but he has been begging for this for awhile now, he wouldn’t be doing this if he didn’t feel like we were behind as well.
Okay, so Tre Young's mom trashed UK's housing facility, but Tre went to Oklahoma… are you telling me Oklahoma has better facilities than UK?
Even if Oklahoma has better facilities, you're willing to put that over exposure? How often is Oklahoma on ESPN? How often do NBA scouts come to Oklahoma's practice facility to see guys practice?
Again, this year, it's the housing facility that Cal is using as an excuse, next year, it'll be something else.

Last edited:
I want to put this in perspective. One57, the most expensive building in NYC, started construction in 2009 and was fully opened by 2014. It is still considered the nicest and is the most expensive building in NYC. Building technologies haven’t changed in 10 years. Maybe styles have changed slightly, but an interior decorator can fix that. If the dorm needs to be rebuilt, then there were major errors made in construction in the first place.

As far as posters saying UK facilities should be the very best, of course, and if Mitch could snap his fingers and throw up a luxury building with a bowling alley and all the amenities Cal wants (why didn’t he ask for these 10 years ago?) I’m sure he would. But it would take a large fundraising effort, and likely distract from other more pressing issues in the athletic department. You have a limited supply of fundraising dollars and you’d be going back to the same people who financed the- presumably failed- construction in 2012.
Kentucky has been a basketball school for decades but now is consistently winning in football thanks to Mark Stoops.

Football as a national sport is much bigger than basketball, college and pro included.

Your AD understands that the time is now to go to the UK alumni/boosters/corporate partners and ask for their investment in football because the ROI will be that much greater than if dollars are diverted to basketball.

Dollars are not unlimited. Donors have to make choices.

I'm old enough to have witnessed UK football had been for many years at the same level of Vanderbilt football. Then along comes a Stoops. Wow! Bob? No. Mark. Who's Mark? Who cares. just someone to take over the team just before beloved Big Blue Madness and the championship pursuit in basketball.

In a few years, it is SToops who is winning and taking UK football to uncharted territory and consistent winning year after year in the biggest sport. all without top notch facilities.

What if Mark Stoops said UK football players deserve a football only dorm on par with the basketball players?

I think UNC freshman stay on campus dorms like everyone else. Then they move off-campus with other players.

Duke freshman dorms...I watched a video of 2017 player OAD Wendell Carter moving in to his dorm room. Bagley, Gary Trent and Jordan Goldwire also seen in the video. 2 BR suite shared with Trent. Other students shared the dorm. males and females on separate floors. Nothing Taj Mahal-esque to signify Duke has been the alpha dog of hoops recruiting. No gold plated toilets. No massage chairs. No soda machines. No virtual reality gaming setups. No motorized blinds.

I think UNC freshman stay on campus dorms like everyone else. Then they move off-campus with other players.

Duke freshman dorms...I watched a video of 2017 player OAD Wendell Carter moving in to his dorm room. Bagley, Gary Trent and Jordan Goldwire also seen in the video. 2 BR suite shared with Trent. Other students shared the dorm. males and females on separate floors. Nothing Taj Mahal-esque to signify Duke has been the alpha dog of hoops recruiting. No gold plated toilets. No massage chairs. No soda machines. No virtual reality gaming setups. No motorized blinds.
I guess Cal wants each player to be able to park their Porsche's in their player's only garage.

This is good perspective. Basically there might be a couple that have been more recently updated and have a few more amenities (KU built theirs 5 years after us), but in terms of other bluebloods we are by no means behind on basketball player housing. Not even close. This is a nonsense power play by Cal.

This is good perspective. Basically there might be a couple that have been more recently updated and have a few more amenities (KU built theirs 5 years after us), but in terms of other bluebloods we are by no means behind on basketball player housing. Not even close. This is a nonsense power play by Cal.
Here's Kansas' McCarthy Hall. Has barber shop and outdoor grill out area on top floor (with not much of a view btw). Apartment suites (shared bathroom...Kentucky's are private bathrooms). Bedrooms seem spartan. have kitchens but would anyone really want to cook his her own meal when you have a full-time chef at Kentucky? Kansas has a half court basketball area in the dorm but seems like Kentucky's full-court and training areas are a very short walking distance and 24 hour access.

Look at the blue bloods, honestly, the Kentucky housing situation is still the best. Kansas is close 2nd.

I don’t understand how peoples hate towards Coach Cal is so bad they hope the facilities are behind. Then piss and moan about kids going elsewhere and blame that on Cal.

just like life I guess give someone an inch they want a mile. Just hope it’s not regression that we get when he finally leaves. Which is more probable than progression.
So wait, you're going to blame dorms on why Cal is missing out on recruits?
What about all the ESPN coverage UK players get? What about the NBA scouts that constantly come to UK practices? What about Rupp arena?
So, these guys are turning their noses up at all the benefits UK gives them, because the dorms aren't as plush as the Taj Mahal?

Tre Young's mom made those comments about UK's dorm, but the kid went to oklahoma. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Bowling alley, hot tubs, pool table, massage chairs, gaming chairs and setup are some of the things I’d like to see.

Yeah, this thread should be renamed "What Trae Young's mom said". 😂
Yeah, she complained about UK's dorms, then Tre went to Oklahoma. See the video below.

I don't get it, is that state-of-the -art? I'm seeing two twin beds and some cheap pressed board cabinetry from Wal-Mart in there.

So after watching this video, I'm of the belief that Tre Young's mom is batshit crazy and she just came up with an excuse to get Tre to go elsewhere.

Maybe we should stop relying on what she said?.?.

Watch "D1 Athlete Dorm Tour | Oklahoma Sooners" on YouTube

Bowling alley, hot tubs, pool table, massage chairs, gaming chairs and setup are some of the things I’d like to see.
bowling alley should be no go. could affect their shooting arms, backs, wrists. take a nasty fall on the waxed floor.

Everything else might pass as Taj Majal-esque.

Okay, so Tre Young's mom trashed UK's housing facility, but Tre went to Oklahoma… are you telling me Oklahoma has better facilities than UK?
Even if Oklahoma has better facilities, you're willing to put that over exposure? How often is Oklahoma on ESPN? How often do NBA scouts come to Oklahoma's practice facility to see guys practice?
Again, this year, it's the housing facility that Cal is using as an excuse, next year, it'll be something else.
No, I highly doubt OU has better facilities then us. And facilities probably only played a very very very small part of his decision. Never did I say that is why recruits are being driven away.

No, I highly doubt OU has better facilities then us. And facilities probably only played a very very very small part of his decision. Never did I say that is why recruits are being driven away.
Okay, but you're putting a hell of a lot of stock in what Tre's mom said. I put zero stock in it, because Tre ended up going to a school with far more outdated dorms than what UK has.

Okay, but you're putting a hell of a lot of stock in what Tre's mom said. I put zero stock in it, because Tre ended up going to a school with far more outdated dorms than what UK has.
I put more stock into Trae himself saying that ours dont compare to "KU, OSU, and others" as he said. Its not a huge deal or anything but when you have something like that that has happend, along with the rule of student-athletes+ general pop students being changed a few years after ours was built, along with our coach pushing for new dorms, then there is certainly good logic for people to think we might need an upgrade in that department.

Reactions: TM2013
I put more stock into Trae himself saying that ours dont compare to "KU, OSU, and others" as he said. Its not a huge deal or anything but when you have something like that that has happend, along with the rule of student-athletes+ general pop students being changed a few years after ours was built, along with our coach pushing for new dorms, then there is certainly good logic for people to think we might need an upgrade in that department.
I put zero stock in what he said, because, again, he went to a school with far more spartan-ish looking dorms.

UK offers far more than any other school out there, with the exception of maybe duke, but you put a lot of stock in what Trae said when it was clearly just a BS excuse to not go to UK.

And here's another thing, UK has done nothing BUT upgrade the basketball facilities since Cal got here. Cal and his players are living in luxury when it comes to campus life. Heck, they have their own chef for crying out loud.

UK would be foolish to dole out 10 million every 10 years just because someone else upgraded their facilities.

Maybe Cal should concentrate on getting more athletes that aren't looking to be pampered. Give me basketball players over prima donna's any day.

I put zero stock in what he said, because, again, he went to a school with far more spartan-ish looking dorms.

UK offers far more than any other school out there, with the exception of maybe duke, but you put a lot of stock in what Trae said when it was clearly just a BS excuse to not go to UK.

And here's another thing, UK has done nothing BUT upgrade the basketball facilities since Cal got here. Cal and his players are living in luxury when it comes to campus life. Heck, they have their own chef for crying out loud.

UK would be foolish to dole out 10 million every 10 years just because someone else upgraded their facilities.

Maybe Cal should concentrate on getting more athletes that aren't looking to be pampered. Give me basketball players over prima donna's any day.
To each their own

To each their own
Precisely.

Now that you've seen Oklahoma's living accommodations, does it seem like Trae's comments make sense?
Earlier in this thread, you referenced what he and his mom said, multiple times, but I'd like to get your take now.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Precisely.

Now that you've seen Oklahoma's living accommodations, does it seem like Trae's comments make sense?
Earlier in this thread, you referenced what he and his mom said, multiple times, but I'd like to get your take now.
I haven’t seen their dorms and don’t really need to, I doubt they are better than ours. That is still irrelevant to the point that ours might not be great though.

Cal could send out an email to his NBA guys and get a chunk quickly to get upgrades. Those guys should give back to UK and probably would willingly.

Mr Sharpe would be well served to give back to UK.

Yeah, if kids REALLY want to play at Kentucky they'll sleep in a tent and practice outside. I laugh at Duke, Kansas and North Carolina trying to sell kids with fabulous facilities and state-of-the-art accommodations. Kentucky wants kids who are dazzled by tales of Issel and Dampier, even if they grew up in NYC or the Congo.
Can’t tell if satire

Yeah, if kids REALLY want to play at Kentucky they'll sleep in a tent and practice outside. I laugh at Duke, Kansas and North Carolina trying to sell kids with fabulous facilities and state-of-the-art accommodations. Kentucky wants kids who are dazzled by tales of Issel and Dampier, even if they grew up in NYC or the Congo.

Kentucky wants both. Yes, we have modern facilities. But we also want players that care about their game and want to honor the history of our basketball tradition.

ADVERTISEMENT