ADVERTISEMENT

Barion Brown: UT fans don't like me

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Wildcats freshman Barion Brown, a Midseason Freshman All-American, is from Nashville. He is already one of the most dangerous kick returners in the country and in recent weeks has become a featured part of the Kentucky passing game. “I just know Tennessee fans, they don’t like me because I committed here,” Brown told the Herald-Leader before the season. “But I feel like it was the best for me. My mom and dad didn’t want me to stay in Tennessee. I just feel like it was the best decision for me.”

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...-football/article267763972.html#storylink=cpy

Our oc needs to get the ball to him more,or he might be gone next year!
Along with Key, Robinson, Crowdus &others...Stoops is never going to allow his offense to be a pass first environment. After this season with CRod gone we have run out of outstanding feature backs . It's going to be interesting especially with what looks like no qb that they have confidence in.

UK football fans, especially older ones, have something akin to Spousal Abuse Syndrome. They love UK football, but were abused for so long that it has destroyed their self-esteem. Now that their spouse(UKFB) went a got therapy(Stoops) and has become a loving, caring and empathetic partner, they still suffer from the past abuse and cannot allow themselves to fully embrace the positive change. They will wallow in their own misery waiting for the slightest negative occurrence and even making up potential future negative scenarios to support their unsubstantiated thesis that it's just more of the same. Please get some help and let's all agree to be disappointed only after something disappointing happens.

UK football fans, especially older ones, have something akin to Spousal Abuse Syndrome. They love UK football, but were abused for so long that it has destroyed their self-esteem. Now that their spouse(UKFB) went a got therapy(Stoops) and has become a loving, caring and empathetic partner, they still suffer from the past abuse and cannot allow themselves to fully embrace the positive change. They will wallow in their own misery waiting for the slightest negative occurrence and even making up potential future negative scenarios to support their unsubstantiated thesis that it's just more of the same. Please get some help and let's all agree to be disappointed only after something disappointing happens.
So true and quite frankly Ive had my heart ripped out numerous times as Im 56. However, Im an optimist and am extremely excited about these guys coming off a big win over State, a bye week and a huge opportunity this Sat nite in Knoxville v the #3 Vols. The last time both teams were ranked in AP top 20 and played each other? 1951. Lets Goooooo!!!!

It could be mostly conjecture but with this dumb transfer portal stuff....a top tier team could see his potentail and offer him huge NIL and lure him away to a Bama is what is being thought
So the thought is Stoops is going to set by twiddling his thumbs while others come in and raid his team? Unadulterated bullshit.

Yes

Reactions: satcheluk
So the thought is Stoops is going to set by twiddling his thumbs while others come in and raid his team? Unadulterated bullshit.
Stoops won’t sit by but Mitch has handicapped our NIL (albeit to a model that resembles how the ncaa should implement it but we won’t just write huge checks w our boosters). If a Bama booster decides they want to give someone 1m, it’s all on the kid to decide at that point bc all we can counter with is that we will get some business to give you NIL next year like Levis

It could be mostly conjecture but with this dumb transfer portal stuff....a top tier team could see his potentail and offer him huge NIL and lure him away to a Bama is what is being thought
Sad but true. I'm sure UK will fight fire with as much fire as UK has.

Vince laughed at this suggestion a year ago. Said don't worry at all, UK is in a position to poach from others and has zero worries about being poached from.

What impact player has left UK in the portal era? Someone who already was or strong projection to be a future starter? Devonshire, I guess. Everyone else who has left went to much lesser programs.

Kentucky is going to have to ante up to keep some of these stud Freshman.
From my understanding, Mitch forbids using “collective funding “ to be used for enticing recruits. He believes the way the NIL is written, it is to be used for players currently in the program ( this may be true but many schools are saying “to hell with that”). Since that is our stance , I’m sure our players are expecting to be compensated generously for coming here on good faith. We damn well better come through for them .
Side-note: Our model of NIL usage certainly isn’t helping with our recruiting this year .

Nobody has said that...over reacting. Just stating that NIL is new, other teams have seen their kids raided to a degree by other programs with bigger NIL $$$. Bama is pretty much #1 at doing this bullcrap and given that Barion was looking at them....there is going to be speculations. And Barion is an obvious kid that is going to draw interest.

Bama bought their RB, LT and one of their WR from NIL $$$$....so they're turning into a school that is mercenaries to fill holes. It's goofy and pretty lazy way to build a program if you ask me. College has all but invited this nonsense and it's going to happen more and more.

It may be totally nothing...we'll see after the year is over how roster movement occurs.

Reactions: BlueTick2
Pitt didn’t sit back while USC openly stole their AA wide receiver. Filed tampering charges with NCAA. Nothing happened. No rules now and no enforcement.

Vince laughed at this suggestion a year ago. Said don't worry at all, UK is in a position to poach from others and has zero worries about being poached from.

What impact player has left UK in the portal era? Someone who already was or strong projection to be a future starter? Devonshire, I guess. Everyone else who has left went to much lesser programs.

Don't think contact won't be made, UK can likely counter UT, Bama and some big 10 teams, but the Texas schools are a different story. But if Brown is happy, NIL won't matter.

This transfer BS has only been legal for a little over a year, so far Bama has taken huge advantage of the rule.

So true and quite frankly Ive had my heart ripped out numerous times as Im 56. However, Im an optimist and am extremely excited about these guys coming off a big win over State, a bye week and a huge opportunity this Sat nite in Knoxville v the #3 Vols. The last time both teams were ranked in AP top 20 and played each other? 1951. Lets Goooooo!!!!
Same Heros. I'm 51 and moved to within walking distance of Commonwealth Std when I was 11 yrs old and my family adopted UK as team #2. Both parents were FSU grads and my dad played ball there, so I grew up with FSU always playing great and UK breaking my heart, but I was at just about every game from 1982 until I graduated from UK and joined the Navy in 1995. My time at UK naturally put UK as #1 in my heart which made all the heartbreaks worse, especially as post-Bowden FSU wasn't consistently there to cushion the sadness. My personality was shaped by my education. I am naturally optimistic, like you, and I have a finance degree which fed my love of statistics and analytics and after the Navy I returned to UK to get a degree is Social Work/Psychology in order to become a therapist, due to my interest in helping people overcome depression and substance abuse issues. This latter fact makes perusing messages boards a fertile ground for anyone interested in or the misuse of statistical analysis and particularly mental health issues. :)

Reactions: The-Hack and Cat06
Along with Key, Robinson, Crowdus &others...Stoops is never going to allow his offense to be a pass first environment. After this season with CRod gone we have run out of outstanding feature backs . It's going to be interesting especially with what looks like no qb that they have confidence in.
Next year is going to be tough me thinks.

Reactions: seccats04
Same Heros. I'm 51 and moved to within walking distance of Commonwealth Std when I was 11 yrs old and my family adopted UK as team #2. Both parents were FSU grads and my dad played ball there, so I grew up with FSU always playing great and UK breaking my heart, but I was at just about every game from 1982 until I graduated from UK and joined the Navy in 1995. My time at UK naturally put UK as #1 in my heart which made all the heartbreaks worse, especially as post-Bowden FSU wasn't consistently there to cushion the sadness. My personality was shaped by my education. I am naturally optimistic, like you, and I have a finance degree which fed my love of statistics and analytics and after the Navy I returned to UK to get a degree is Social Work/Psychology in order to become a therapist, due to my interest in helping people overcome depression and substance abuse issues. This latter fact makes perusing messages boards a fertile ground for anyone interested in or the misuse of statistical analysis and particularly mental health issues. :)
That’s wild because Im the exact opposite. Born and raised in Ky, third generation UK fan. Moved to Tally when I was 9 1/2 and became a Seminole fan. Always followed UK because of my Mom and Grandpa and FSU because of my stepdad! How weird is this connection we have! Maybe we truly are going to win Sat.!

Next year is going to be tough me thinks.
Unless we hit a home run in the portal at QB and RB then I agree that next year will be rough. UGa will be UGa, UT looks to be back (with the help of NIL), UF won't be down long, USC is on the upswing, Mizzou is still recruiting well and Vandy has improved a bunch since Lea got there.

Reactions: chroix
Don't think contact won't be made, UK can likely counter UT, Bama and some big 10 teams, but the Texas schools are a different story. But if Brown is happy, NIL won't matter.

This transfer BS has only been legal for a little over a year, so far Bama has taken huge advantage of the rule.

The question still remains, "how does this affect the chemistry at schools with the recruited 5 star talent, when a transfer comes in and gets immediate time?" I know Bama has only lost one game, but what will it do to their recruiting long term?

Winning seems to solve everything, but how long til the mercenary gun for hire mentality hurts the heart/depth of the team? It'll be interesting to watch, if we still have an nCaa and college football for much longer

The question still remains, "how does this affect the chemistry at schools with the recruited 5 star talent, when a transfer comes in and gets immediate time?" I know Bama has only lost one game, but what will it do to their recruiting long term?

Winning seems to solve everything, but how long til the mercenary gun for hire mentality hurts the heart/depth of the team? It'll be interesting to watch, if we still have an nCaa and college football for much longer
Texas A&M is finding out recruits for hire are not always good recruits. They may have 5 stars by their name but what is their work ethic?? Attitude?? Ability to accept coaching?? Just my experience in life but someone who takes the quick money as opposed to the best path is lazy and not very smart.

That’s wild because Im the exact opposite. Born and raised in Ky, third generation UK fan. Moved to Tally when I was 9 1/2 and became a Seminole fan. Always followed UK because of my Mom and Grandpa and FSU because of my stepdad! How weird is this connection we have! Maybe we truly are going to win Sat.!
Small world and I hope so!

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
I tend to disagree. We’re on the upswing. Even I see it. High hopes here. I’m 62 by the way. Maybe you millennials got the scours. It’s treatable, but not just an old person thing.

Reactions: chroix
Wildcats freshman Barion Brown, a Midseason Freshman All-American, is from Nashville. He is already one of the most dangerous kick returners in the country and in recent weeks has become a featured part of the Kentucky passing game. “I just know Tennessee fans, they don’t like me because I committed here,” Brown told the Herald-Leader before the season. “But I feel like it was the best for me. My mom and dad didn’t want me to stay in Tennessee. I just feel like it was the best decision for me.”

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...-football/article267763972.html#storylink=cpy
Regardless of Barion being the source of this quote, I can guarantee you that Vols fans are not aware of him. I have heard no ill speech in his name. Long story short, I taught Barion when he was in high school, and there are several players on UTs team that went to the same high school. Being the premiere in-state school, there is definitely pressure to go to UT - but there is no ill blood when a person makes that decision for themself. If anything, I’d think he was more on the radar of Alabama, considering he originally committed there and flipped.

but then again I’m just Joe Schmoe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: vol_scott
I'm 58 and trying to overcome this feeling of dread about UK football. So, I come here often to get my daily fix of optimism from HH.

I tend to disagree. We’re on the upswing. Even I see it. High hopes here. I’m 62 by the way. Maybe you millennials got the scours. It’s treatable, but not just an old person thing.
Huh? First, I'm 51, so not sure where you got that I'm a millennial and secondly, You might try reading that again. I was criticizing folks who are down on UK or can't seem to get it through their thick skulls that we are an above avg and approaching great SEC team. Also, why would you make a generalized statement about part of a cohort and infer that it was referring specifically to you? Not sure if that is a reading comprehension issue or some form of narcissism. I didn't say all older fans are Chicken Littles, I said most of the negative comments probably come from them and I jokingly suggested it's PTSD from all the past heartbreak. Hopefully your post was supposed to be a joke and I am just missing it. If so, then I'm just joking too.

Reactions: Backer cutter
Huh? First, I'm 51, so not sure where you got that I'm a millennial and secondly, You might try reading that again. I was criticizing folks who are down on UK or can't seem to get it through their thick skulls that we are an above avg and approaching great SEC team. Also, why would you make a generalized statement about part of a cohort and infer that it was referring specifically to you? Not sure if that is a reading comprehension issue or some form of narcissism. I didn't say all older fans are Chicken Littles, I said most of the negative comments probably come from them and I jokingly suggested it's PTSD from all the past heartbreak. Hopefully your post was supposed to be a joke and I am just missing it. If so, then I'm just joking too.
It’s all good. We have endured enough, no matter our age.

ADVERTISEMENT