ADVERTISEMENT

Barbee on UK Zone Defense

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
On being the engineer of the zone defense UK is using some now:
Well, I’m the engineer only when it works. When it doesn’t work, I’ll put it back on Cal. But no, we played zone quite a bit at some of the other spots I was at, so I’m familiar with teaching it. As far back as I’ve known Cal – and everybody knows how long I’ve known him and played for him and worked for him, all those things – he hates zone. Let’s put it that way. You guys all know that. I just stay in his ear that there are some teams that I think we can use the zone against and it’ll be fairly effective and some that we can’t. It took him getting thrown out of the South Carolina game for us to play it for half a game, and it was fairly effective. But I think he understands it, too, that zone, sometimes you can’t give a team a steady diet of one thing. And then we’ve got a good zone team, too. We’ve got good length. We’ve got good quickness. Our guys are smart and really play well off each other in the zone.

On why Calipari hates zone defense:
I think it comes down to accountability. That's why his teams have always been so good defensively. He's been able to hold everybody accountable out of the man to man, whether you stopped your man, whether you were in the right position in help. So it's easier to do that than it is in zone.

On if he was happy for the opportunity to play zone after Calipari got ejected at South Carolina:
(Laughs) No, actually we needed it because the foul trouble our bigs were in in that game, so we had to out of necessity.

On if he's surprised by the players embracing zone:
No. Our guys are excited about it. We work on it quite a bit in practice because you never know when you're gonna need it. We've struggled guarding the dribble some this year, and I've always been in coaches ear. It's a good way to stop dribble penetration, is out of that zone. And it worked in that game.

On if Calipari turns his back to the floor when they switch to zone:
(Laughs) No, but the first time they make a shot when we got to the zone then he's in my ear.

More from presser:
http://kentucky.247sports.com/Board/296/Contents/QA-Tony-Barbee-pre-Alabama-43861684

(Laughs) No, but the first time they make a shot when we got to the zone then he's in my ear.

Cause the other team never makes shots when UK plays man-to-man, right Cal? [eyeroll]

Reactions: stenchymouse

Cause the other team never makes shots when UK plays man-to-man, right Cal? [eyeroll]
It kind of reminds me of when Tubby said we don't press much because sometimes it leads to easy baskets.

Zones do lead to some open shots. Pressing does lead to some easy baskets.

Doesn't mean they can't be effective tools at certain times against certain opponents.

Reactions: BourbonBalz
In watching our zone, it hasn't looked really that good, but some teams can't shoot well and then it is a good idea (like South Carolina).

It may have been something to go to in that last nine seconds against A&M, Surprise!
Can't disagree. But have to give Barbee credit for at least helping to get it in our tool box. I've heard Cal say more than once, 'I HATE zone.'

yeah

that's what he thinks

In watching our zone, it hasn't looked really that good, but some teams can't shoot well and then it is a good idea (like South Carolina).
Just thinking it would have completely surprised them, make them unsure of what they were gonna do. If they don't show the zone immediately maybe another TO with even less time on clock

sometimes you can’t give a team a steady diet of one thing

This has been the biggest argument I have when participating in zone threads. Playing man to man all the time makes the team too one dimensional and easier for D1 Coaches to prepare for.

Just thinking it would have completely surprised them, make them unsure of what they were gonna do. If they don't show the zone immediately maybe another TO with even less time on clock

I definitely would have zoned with the 4.1 seconds to play. You beat a zone by ball movement or penetration to the middle or flashing a big to the middle. There certainly wasn't enough time for any of that on the last play and would have been left forcing up a perimeter shot which would have undoubtedly gone in any way thus leaving Cal questioning himself on why in the heck did he play zone. The fact they scored anyway does not make him question himself because he lost playing his way.

Reactions: rye48
yeah whatever you do don't ask them to guard for 4 seconds and get a stop

remind them, and everyone watching at home, that you're there to push the right button

ADVERTISEMENT