ADVERTISEMENT

Bam's big decision

catsall

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2006
I know this is probably a stupid thought because this is Kentucky; however he is sitting right at the end of the first round. Do you go with a big possibility that you won't get the guaranteed money?

Usually our players go lower than the mock drafts have them projected.

I know where the mock drafts have him. I just don't see him dropping that far. He's got all the tools and all the athleticism. He is double-teamed every time he touches the ball as a freaking freshman. I think he will get some feedback, and I think he will be gone.

Two things..with all of the beef we have coming in next year, could you imagine how badass Bam and the rest would become practicing against one another everyday ?! WOW. On the other hand, Bam may end up not even being the best big on his own team next year if he stays.

It's a hell of a draft this year for Bam to be borderline first round. Maybe he could be convinced to come back to improve his status, but if I remember right 2018 is pretty loaded with big men.

Bam is a clear cut case of a guy that needs to return for future earnings. Bam hitting a decent jumper could improve him 10 spots or more and we know he can hit it. But he's gone in all likelihood.

I hope cal puts the full court press on him to return. Letting him go without a fight shouldn't happen. Explain the potential side of one more year. Bam seems like he's smart and level headed enough to listen.

But I'm sure Cal will just say your choice and I support you. Hate it sometimes.

I'm of the attitude that he is gone as that is exactly what we've become used to at Kentucky. Based on what we've seen from Cal in the past I'm sure he will encourage Bam to test the waters and then make up his own mind and Cal will support whatever Bam wants to do. If he comes back, which I also feel would be most beneficial to him as well as the program (let's be honest as to what we all want), then I will be an extremely happy UK fan and really be looking forward to next season. But, we still need to get another guard or two from somewhere.

Bam will go. He is not ready to contribute. He has awful hands. He is a very poor back to the basket player. He can dunk lobs or dunk with no one around to strip him.

Those who clamored for him to get the ball in the post with back to the basket must not have watched the games. He was atrocious at finishing on anything but a dunk.

Skal will be a much better pro than Bam.

Bam will go. He is not ready to contribute. He has awful hands. He is a very poor back to the basket player. He can dunk lobs or dunk with no one around to strip him.

Those who clamored for him to get the ball in the post with back to the basket must not have watched the games. He was atrocious at finishing on anything but a dunk.

Imo some have really overrated Bam. He killed us in this tournament. Some even compared him to Randle early on which is barely short of a joke.

Wish him the best he seems like a good guy.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
LOL, we go through this every year. Come on guys, you know better.
Bam has an NBA ready body and will be turned into a player by NBA coaches. I can't believe some of you would get your hopes up. He's not coming back.
Why would he want to come back, have limited practice time and have to go to class? Makes zero sense.

Two things..with all of the beef we have coming in next year, could you imagine how badass Bam and the rest would become practicing against one another everyday ?! WOW. On the other hand, Bam may end up not even being the best big on his own team next year if he stays.

Whom do you think will be better? I honestly have NO idea. I haven't followed recruiting since Cal came just because he signs so many top players and I can just wait and see.

Easy ones first. Fox and Monk have to go. It is in their best interest. Both are top 10 locks, and reasonable chances at top 5. Just too big of a risk not to go.

Briscoe. He wanted to go last year, he still wants to go, he doesn't want to be a college student. At least now he is being discussed in the 2nd round. Some good workouts and he could move to early 2nd, longshot at late 1st. 90% he's gone.

Bam. When he was a lottery pick, he was likely gone. But he's been projected in the 20's for awhile now. I know he's got top 10 stuff in him. If he were my son, I'd say declare, don't get an agent, do the workouts the camps, let Cal get the feedback. If you can move your projections into the teens then go, if you stay in the 20's come back for 1 more year and see if you can work into the top 10. Problem with the 20's is that it is just a few surprise picks from falling out of the 1st & the guaranteed money. D-League money ain't all that.

Reactions: Pewee Cat
LOL, we go through this every year. Come on guys, you know better.
Bam has an NBA ready body and will be turned into a player by NBA coaches. I can't believe some of you would get your hopes up. He's not coming back.
Why would he want to come back, have limited practice time and have to go to class? Makes zero sense.

If Skal made it in the NBA, Bam is a surefire hit, IMO.

Reactions: Bardstown
Lets not forget Anthony Bennett went #1 almost solely because of how he was measured after the season. The NBA gm's put high stock on measurements at the draft combine and Bam is off the chart with his athleticism.
And he's not coming back to develop a jump shot or develop post moves, he can do that in the NBA while making a million/year and he doesn't have to go to class 5 days a week.

He could use another year. Work on his low post game and his midrange jump shot.
And you think college is a better place to do that then an NBA program?
Where do you guys get this idea that limited practice time in college is better than unlimited practice time in the NBA? We go through this every year, how do you not get that?
It's the second contract that matters, not the first one. Bam is never going to be a lottery pick, he's where he should be and an NBA training program will do ten times for him what a college program will.

His weak hands are his one defeciency that stands out most to me.
I'm surprised more comments haven't been made about it.

Bam is someone who could come back and really improve his stock, but it won't happen. Like some have said, he is very weak with the basketball, which is odd because he is so damn strong. Would be fun if he would return though, putting him at the 4 (which is what he will play in the NBA), along side Bamba at the 5. We saw that Bam and Hump could work last night. Our size next year will be frightening.

Green
Diallo/Briscoe (Yes, I think he returns. If Cal is honest with his players like he says he is, he advises Briscoe to return)
Washington/Wenyen
Bam
Bamba

Vanderbilt
Richards
Alexander
Hump

And you think college is a better place to do that then an NBA program?
Where do you guys get this idea that limited practice time in college is better than unlimited practice time in the NBA? We go through this every year, how do you not get that?
It's the second contract that matters, not the first one. Bam is never going to be a lottery pick, he's where he should be and an NBA training program will do ten times for him what a college program will.

Get out of here with your logic and reason. This is no place for it.

Reactions: MWes11
I know this is probably a stupid thought because this is Kentucky; however he is sitting right at the end of the first round. Do you go with a big possibility that you won't get the guaranteed money?

Usually our players go lower than the mock drafts have them projected.

NBA Draft Net just updated their projections on the 24th, and they have Bam at 16. He's gone.

Would love to have bam back playing at the four. That said, the smart decision is to take the money and run. I'll gladly eat crow if he were to come back.

Seems like big men don't improve their stock. Tyler Hansbrough was a top five pick as a freshman, and while he had an incredible college career, he was correctly identified as a rotation player and he was picked late in the lottery.

Bam getting drafted late by an organization like the Spurs, Jazz, lakers or Blazers may be better for him, even if that first contract is less than a lotto's.

Last edited:
Reactions: brianpoe
I'm not sure "taking the money and running" is also the best case for every player. If Bam thinks he can get better and improve his stock then he should come back. If his game isn't ready for the NBA why should he go and try to compete for a job against the best of the best? He'll be fighting for his NBA life from Day 1. That first contract is guaranteed, which is an incredible opportunity but chasing that guaranteed first contract may end up costing him (and other players) the opportunity at a 2nd or 3rd contract of much higher value.

My guess is Bam gets feedback at the combine that pushes him one way or the other. If he comes in and measures too short, with average athleticism then maybe he comes back, maybe.

If he goes in and measures in the 6'9+ range and jumps out of the gym (He has nearly a 40" max vert) then he probably moves up the draft board, and stay in the draft. He's got better measurables across the board than Marquese Chriss who went #8 in last year's draft.

He was short on seal jump hooks !!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT