ADVERTISEMENT

Bahamas Basketball Foreign Tour Dates Set for Aug. 6-13

I’ll probably never go to one of these things (or at least until I retire) but that pricing isn’t as bad as I expected.

I think Hagans will be here sometime in July. Whether that's July 1 or 31 will make this trip important for different reasons.

Rates don't look that bad until you select them. They charge 54% tax and fees on top of the room rate. Pretty outrageous.

I'm sure it's a fun trip but I priced it out for a family of four with airfare and food and it's over $8000

Reactions: FiveStarCat
Rates don't look that bad until you select them. They charge 54% tax and fees on top of the room rate. Pretty outrageous.

I'm sure it's a fun trip but I priced it out for a family of four with airfare and food and it's over $8000
Exactly the initial quote isn't bad but the fees and surcharges are ridiculous. It was$3000 for flight & the lowest priced room (not counting a meal plan $1200ish or tickets for 4books @ $400 each =$1600). After said and done its around $7,000 :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:. I was prepared for 3-4 thousand , but sh!+fire the freaking surcharges and fees make it impossible. It's like paying double for a small vacation.

Reactions: musrat59
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Pack your bags, Big Blue Nation, because the Kentucky men’s basketball team is headed back to a memorable destination for a foreign basketball tour this August: the Bahamas.

The Wildcats will return to the Atlantis on Paradise Island in the Bahamas for a four-game, eight-day trip from Aug. 6-13. UK will train on the island and play four professional teams during its stay as it prepares for the 2018-19 season.

Kentucky will play the Bahamas national team on Aug. 8, San Lorenzo de Almagra on Aug. 9, Mega Bemax on Aug. 11 and Team Toronto on Aug. 12. The Wildcats will arrive Aug. 6, practice on Aug. 7 and enjoy an off day Aug. 10. Fans won’t have to leave to resort as all games will be played at the Atlantis Imperial Arena, where Kentucky played Arizona State during the 2016-17 season. A full schedule is below.

NCAA rules allow for a foreign tour by an intercollegiate team once every four academic years. Kentucky’s Big Blue Bahamas tour is a joint venture between Complete Sports Management and the Bahamas Basketball Federation.

“If you know me, you know I’ve talked a lot about college basketball taking over the month of August,” UK head coach John Calipari said. “It’s a perfect time – when we have nothing else going on – to get with our kids, practice and give our fans a chance to see our team before school starts. The current rules only allow us to do it every four years and this one comes at a great time. We’re going to have another young team and will have a tough schedule early. Getting these games in against professional competition and allowing us to practice will give our guys an early idea of how hard this is going to be.”

UK is coming off a 26-11 season that resulted in another Sweet 16 berth – UK’s seventh in nine seasons under Calipari – and the Wildcats’ fourth straight Southeastern Conference Tournament title. But now the Wildcats must find a way to retool after losing three of its top four scorers in Kevin Knox, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Hamidou Diallo, who announced recently they are entering their names in the 2018 NBA Draft and signing with agents, ending their collegiate eligibility.

Kentucky will welcome another star-studded recruiting class that is expected to be in competition for the top overall ranking yet again for Calipari and Co. UK has already announced three highly touted signees in Tyler Herro, Keldon Johnson and Immanuel Quickley but expects to add more before the signing period is complete. Kentucky can only comment on prospective student-athletes who have signed paperwork with the university.

Whatever UK’s final roster is for the 2018-19 season, the tour should prove to be instrumental in the early development of yet another young team that already has the likes of Duke, North Carolina, Louisville and SEC/Big 12 Challenge on its nonconference schedule.

Fans will remember the Bahamas served a similar purpose for UK’s memorable 2014-15 season. The Wildcats tipped off their 38-1 season with a 5-1 mark vs. the Dominican Republic national team, the Puerto Rico national team reserves and French first-division club team Champagne Chalons-Reims Basket in the Bahamas. It was the start of magical season that ended with an undefeated regular season, SEC regular-season and tournament titles, and a trip to the Final Four.

Of course, fans are encouraged to join the Wildcats on Paradise Island. Travel packages, which vary from as little as $173 a night to $479 for a stay at the Cove at the Atlantis, are available and include a variety of options.

Rates start at:

· Beach at Atlantis: $173

· Coral at Atlantis: $229

· Royal at Atlantis “Official UK Team Tower”: $269

· Reef at Atlantis: $349

· The Cove at Atlantis: $479

Rooms at the Atlantis can be booked online at AtlantisBahamas.com/UK or by calling 1.800.285.2684. Fans must stay at the Atlantis resort for entry into games. Tickets can only be purchased if you have a room reservation at the Atlantis. You may purchase tickets online through the UK Ticket Office via the exclusive link at AtlantisBahamas.com/UK once you have booked your room reservation in the Kentucky block.

Tickets are not included with hotel packages and must be purchased separately. Ticket books are priced at $400 each and will include entry into all four games. Children under the age of 2 will not require a ticket for admission. Tickets will be mailed in late June. All seating is general admission, except those held for team guests. K Fund members interested in the exclusive travel package, including charter flight from Lexington, may call (859) 257-6300 for more information.

“I still have some of our fans come up to me and tell me about how much fun they had in 2014 when we went to the Bahamas,” Calipari said. “This is a chance to see our team in an unbelievable setting, get up close with our kids and stay at the best vacation resort I’ve ever been to. The great thing about this time around is the games will be on site, making this even easier than the last trip. I can’t wait to get down there.”

Fans must stay at the Atlantis to attend games. Four-night minimum accommodations at the Atlantis are available. Nights may be added to the stay before Aug. 6 or after Aug. 13. All taxes and fees are included when booking rooms.

Official group transportation through Majestic Tours will be available for a special rate.

“The Bahamas is thrilled to have Kentucky returning for their foreign tour,” said Lea Miller, the founder and CEO of Complete Sports Management, an all-encompassing sports marking agency. “UK is a perennial powerhouse and the standard of college basketball. International travel is an educational experience that is priceless and we are excited to expose the Bahamian culture and beauty of the islands to their staff, players and fans.”

Kentucky’s competition will include:

· Bahamas National Team – Made up of several Bahamian players competing for the World Cup Qualifying Team

· San Lorenzo de Almagra – FIBA Liga de las Americas champions based out of Buenos Aires, Argentina

· Mega Bemax – Serbian team coined the “European Kentucky” for its ability to put players in the NBA

· Team Toronto – Group of top select Canadian players put together by head coach Roy Rana, who led the 2019 U19 Canadian team to the gold medal at the FIBA World Championships

Coinciding with the UK men’s basketball trip will be the seventh annual John Calipari Basketball Fantasy Experience. For the first time in the event’s history, the fantasy experience will be held outside of Lexington.

More information on the John Calipari Basketball Fantasy Experience and details on how to register are available atjohncaliparibasketballexperience.com.

For the latest on the Kentucky men's basketball team, follow @KentuckyMBB on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and on the web at UKathletics.com.

Bahamas Game Schedule

Aug. 8 – vs. Bahamas national team

Aug. 9 – vs. San Lorenzo de Almagra

Aug. 11 – vs. Mega Bemax

Aug. 12 – vs. Team Toronto

Book your flights.

https://ukathletics.com/news/2018/4/24/uk-mens-basketball-to-return-to-bahamas-for-foreign-trip.aspx

Assuming Hagans reclassifies (and potentially others), I wonder if he could make this trip, or if he would still be in the reclassification process.

Looks like the Adidas summer events end on July 22 so I would think he’ll be able to go on the trip assuming he plays AAU all summer. Just wouldn’t have the pickup/practice time he otherwise would if he showed up in June.

Exactly the initial quote isn't bad but the fees and surcharges are ridiculous. It was$3000 for flight & the lowest priced room (not counting a meal plan $1200ish or tickets for 4books @ $400 each =$1600). After said and done its around $7,000 :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:. I was prepared for 3-4 thousand , but sh!+fire the freaking surcharges and fees make it impossible. It's like paying double for a small vacation.
The surcharges are crazy....

The surcharges are crazy....
Of that initial $3,000 quoted $1,200 was surcharges and fees. Damn near charging double for a trip. I looked over the conditions that give a vague breakdown of those charges. Let's just say it's a lot of b.s. charges for basic amenities that other places don't charge for. Most of them are accommodations that the customer wouldn't even use. Even if I had the means to spring for $7,000 + not sure I could justify it knowing I'm essentially paying thousands for literally nothing

Of that initial $3,000 quoted $1,200 was surcharges and fees. Damn near charging double for a trip. I looked over the conditions that give a vague breakdown of those charges. Let's just say it's a lot of b.s. charges for basic amenities that other places don't charge for. Most of them are accommodations that the customer wouldn't even use. Even if I had the means to spring for $7,000 + not sure I could justify it knowing I'm essentially paying thousands for literally nothing
I’m going to Europe this summer and those surcharges equal to about 10-12 days of expenses in Europe. I’m not about to give money away

Was considering, but I could just buy great champions classic tickets and have a great night in Indianapolis for under 1k, also we'll be playing a team that's actually decent

Was considering, but I could just buy great champions classic and have a great night in Indianapolis for under 1k, also we'll be playing a team that's actually decent
Yep! That’s where my money will be going as well.

Don't get me wrong a vacation like this would be great, especially with UK playing, but I would much rather pocket that kind of money and watch it from the comfort of my own home on my big screen TV.

Reactions: howercat
FYI, my wife's company had their yearly conference there a couple of years ago. Her trip was paid for but mine wasn't so we had to pay for that. Food prices there are OUTRAGEOUS at the hotel and the food isn't that great. $38 per person for the breakfast bar. Go off site across the bridge for better food options. There is a good Italian place on the island called Carmine's. They're really good, family style but a bit pricey too. Couple of other small places on the island for food as well, but didn't try them.

I will take the money it would cost to take this trip and be able to go to the Duke game in Indianapolis, UNC in Chicago AND Seton Hall in New York!

I guarantee they don't sell out.

I’ll probably never go to one of these things (or at least until I retire) but that pricing isn’t as bad as I expected.

The room costs aren't bad at Atlantis. But if you want any food at all, you will pay! We went there the year before (in Sept) the 14-15 team, and you will spend 3x for food & drinks there. I even walked to a nearby grocery & paid 2x for some bottled water & snacks to keep in our room to save us some $. I think for 4-5 nights, airfare, room, food, & other expenses that vacation cost 4 of us about $5K.

But it is a nice vacation place for 3-5 days, especially w/ kids, after that you may get bored. I could do that not-so-lazy river all day long.

Reactions: FiveStarCat
Looks like quite the racquet the Bahamas and the Atlantis have got set up. In order to just be able to buy game tickets you have to book the Atlantis

IMO, if you are going to travel there anyway, and you have to stay somewhere (unless you already own a house on Nassau) then you might as well pay the extra to stay at Atlantis.

Fun fact: Deandre Ayton (Zona) is a member of the Bahamian National Team. I wonder if he will participate. I doubt it, but wouldn't that be cool?

My bride and I just stayed there in February. Had a great time doing the water things, enjoying the aquariums and the grounds. Look for deals on flights with Southwest if you have their credit card. We had tickets to Nassau under $80 via Ft Lauderdale from Nashville. You do need a passport.

Can't afford any Bahamas trip, but if I could:
Me, down by the the pool, (dramatized by actors):

pool9.gif

I was really wanting to do this, but between my daughter's wedding in June and the fact that both my washing machine and fridge are dying a slow miserable death, I'm not sure this will be a smart financial move on my behalf, but as the young folks say, YOLO.

If you are a Total Rewards member (platinum and above), you are entitled to 4 free nights including some resort credits. I just booked 6 free nights under a different offer. Southwest also has a flight leaving that Sunday from SDF for @$250, companion pass makes this a no brainer. I will probably fly Delta or American back

To anyone that went to the trip 4 years ago what does a general ball park price for the trip for 2 people look like? Landed that first good job out of college and I’m legit interested in going

To anyone that went to the trip 4 years ago what does a general ball park price for the trip for 2 people look like? Landed that first good job out of college and I’m legit interested in going

$4k on the cheap and about $6k for the high roller package.

If you are a Total Rewards member (platinum and above), you are entitled to 4 free nights including some resort credits. I just booked 6 free nights under a different offer. Southwest also has a flight leaving that Sunday from SDF for @$250, companion pass makes this a no brainer. I will probably fly Delta or American back

You only get this offer one time per calendar year for the complimentary rooms. You can still get heavily discounted rates with your TR card even if you have already employed your complimentary stay. We're considering it but have a business conflict at that time.

Last edited:
I already have my room in Indianapolis reserved for two nights when they play Duke. And I think I would rather add the trip to Chicago to watch them play UNC rather than pay those outrageous fees. And still save a ton of money.

Reactions: catben
I believe it's set up different this time. 4 years ago you had to book the whole trip through a certain travel agency. This time you book rooms through Atlantis and then can purchase game tickets separately.
You only get this offer one time per calendar year for the complimentary rooms. You can still get heavily discounted rates with your TR card even if you have already employed your complimentary stay. We're considering it but have a business conflict at that time.

We used the TR offer 3 or 4 years ago. Since then Atlantis has sent their own offer of 5 free nights usable up to 5 times a year

ADVERTISEMENT