ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance

People keep saying this. I just dont care. Im not an NBA fan at all. And we arent getting the best. We're getting the 2nd tier down. And I would rather develop guys over 4 yrs to be a cohesive team than get the best freshmen. We dont get to reap a y of the benefits of their growth, we just come up short.

So no, I dont want to watch us keep shooting ourselves in the foot by turning over the roster in the name of talent while scheduling poorly so they can acclimate, and want us to change our philosophy.
So...if we get quality players that develop 2-3 years into their college careers, what will keep them from leaving before their fourth year? If a team of Jr's makes it to the final four, you can bet your bottom dollar one or more of those guys will bolt.

I know it was a lot of fun watching Benny Snell and Josh Allen develop into super players over their 3 or 4 year careers, culminating in a huge NYD bowl win (I was there). I think the basketball fans would appreciate seeing a core nucleus develop into a NC over two or three years as well. That is what we used to do just a few years ago.

So...if we get quality players that develop 2-3 years into their college careers, what will keep them from leaving before their fourth year? If a team of Jr's makes it to the final four, you can bet your bottom dollar one or more of those guys will bolt.
Im not even sure this warrants a response. If you dont understand roster depth and continuity from a returning majority, Im not going to waste my time explaining it to you. Google it.

Actually it is the next best players. We have struggled to get the best players the last 4 years. That shows in the lack of Final Fours or better. It's much easier to stomach having OAD players when they go to a Final Four or beyond like they did in 4 of the first 6 years. Lately it is Elite 8 or worse with terrible starts to the year.
Jesus Christ. No one, ever, gets all the #1 players. We have had the #1 or 2 class every year Cal has been here. I guess you all, want to go back to the bcg and tubby classes. Smfh

Last edited:
It’s been alluded to by a couple of posters above. One of the most satisfying aspects of being a fan is watching players develop from year to year, at least it is for me. We don’t get much of that anymore in basketball, and it’s a big part of the problem imo. Fans can feel a better connection to multi year players, no doubt about it.

Jesus Christ. No one, ever, gets all the #1 players. We have had the #1 or 2 class every year Cal has been here. I guess you al, want to go back to the big and tubby classes. Smfh

No, but it just doesn't work without having the elite guys that leave after a year. The next step down players want to leave after a year as well and they haven't been able to overcome the obstacles they face with pure skill and athleticism. They leave us with a few more wins each year (2016 on) but similar results as the Tubby years before he mailed it in his last 2 years.

There has to be a happy medium between most leaving after a year or 2 and all staying for 4 years. A lot of fans are just burnt out with dealing with a mostly new team every year.

No, but it just doesn't work without having the elite guys that leave after a year. The next step down players want to leave after a year as well and they haven't been able to overcome the obstacles they face with pure skill and athleticism. They leave us with a few more wins each year (2016 on) but similar results as the Tubby years before he mailed it in his last 2 years.

There has to be a happy medium between most leaving after a year or 2 and all staying for 4 years. A lot of fans are just burnt out with dealing with a mostly new team every year.

One of our problems is we have more kids that don't need to leave that end up leaving. That's led to some severe flaws in our lineups. We have had more than one year that if so and so hadn't left to go in the 2nd round then we may of won it.

This year something totally different happened and we have a Tyler Herro who was borderline top 40 kid who ended up in lottery. We could use his shooting really bad this year.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
Jesus Christ. No one, ever, gets all the #1 players. We have had the #1 or 2 class every year Cal has been here. I guess you all, want to go back to the bcg and tubby classes. Smfh
I always love this take. I've got no problem with the way Cal recruits and the way he puts together his teams. I also know that it's not this or Tubby/BCG. There is definitely a happy medium.

I always love this take. I've got no problem with the way Cal recruits and the way he puts together his teams. I also know that it's not this or Tubby/BCG. There is definitely a happy medium.

Not to mention every fan should know #1/2 classes aren’t created equal.

Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins; Nerlens, Poythress, Willie, Archie Goodwin; and Fox, Monk, Bam, Wenyen were all number one classes.

No one like OAD but that’s the system now. ALL of the best players want to be OAD. Do you not want the best players?.
As I said on another thread, imo a way to improve this is situation is to have schools lose a scholarship for a year for each player who signs a pro contract before they've played two full years. That will cause all of college hoops to recruit differently.

Come on guys.....you all are demanding too much, too soon in the season. I always hold out for that most important UK BB day of the year.....the NBA draft. :cool2:[banana]
Otherwise, I am pretty indifferent to the CBB pesky schedule, wins & losses and tourney performance.[pfftt]

GBB :football: Fetch me that bowl bid!

Come on guys.....you all are demanding too much, too soon in the season. I always hold out for that most important UK BB day of the year.....the NBA draft. :cool2:[banana]
Otherwise, I am pretty indifferent to the CBB pesky schedule, wins & losses and tourney performance.[pfftt]

GBB :football: Fetch me that bowl bid!

Have to say, this made me laugh

I know that my passion for basketball is almost completely gone. I think the one and done and Kentucky's heavy usage of it has soured me on basketball.

I don't watch the NBA....so, there are guys who have come through UK and moved on so fast that I don't remember them being on the team. It takes me 1/3rd of the way through the season just to learn their names.....then they're gone. I miss watching guys develop and play over several yrs here.

I would not interpret a downturn in attendance on weeknight games against mid-majors as a waning in passion for UK basketball. Lots of us have our frustrations with some of the ways Cal goes about things, but it doesn’t diminish our passion.

Didn’t matter night or opponent prior to Calipari saying his goal was not to win.A lot of posters above say you are wrong!

I could have written the exact same thing. This is my feelings exactly. I used to watch college basketball every night, regardless of who was playing and would never miss a UK game. I can't remember the last time I watched more than 10 minutes of a game outside of the NCAA Tournament and I watched maybe 30 minutes of the game last night. Still root my Cats on and still love them, just don't have nearly the interest level I used to.

Ditto. I was a college BB junkie. Now, i don't watch any other than UK or the tourney. Sometimes, i don't even watch the entire game.

I'm a football first guy now.

The season starts too early. We used to start around thanksgiving and we would play 2-3 games a week. Cal has games at 5 or 6pm on a Sunday evening or a Friday night playing boring teams. We have a lot more things to distract us nowadays, the OAD has changed the landscape of college basketball and not for the good. Go back to our 1978 championship team. We had 4 guys off that team that I can remember that played in the NBA. Robey, Givens, Macy, James Lee I think was drafted by Seattle. Not sure if Phillips was but anyways those guys were all here and we invested years into their careers here, years!!. Nowadays you see a guy for a few months, then they’re gone, and the next group comes in. I think the possibility of winning a title with a team of OADs is pretty remote. This all started when we started focusing on individual players and their needs and it hasn’t been the same since. I get the feeling that some people feel like they are doing us a favor by coming here. We didn’t win 1900 games by playing for the individual. Basketball the ultimate team sport. I’m not pointing fingers, not sure who or if it’s fair criticism of coach Cal but the moment we quit being about the team, the glitz, the aura of this program went away. We now see teams that come into Rupp and beat us at our own game. We used to be the pressing, hustling team now we are the victim of those types of teams. We’ve lost our competitive edge. Each summer we all get caught up reading press clippings of all the new guys, we get our hopes up then we see them in action and we all wonder the same thing. Whose our shooter, whose our defensive stopper whose our shot blocker, who can actually finish at the rim? It’s just frustrating but it’s not just here at Kentucky.

Reactions: oddis500
Not to mention every fan should know #1/2 classes aren’t created equal.

Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins; Nerlens, Poythress, Willie, Archie Goodwin; and Fox, Monk, Bam, Wenyen were all number one classes.

No and getting the number one class with the #14,17,28,33, and 44 player is different than a number one class with the #1,4,7,14,24 player. There is usually a big gap after the top 5 or so. If the others didn't have flaws they would be that high. Add #1 James Wiseman to the current class and it's a whole different team.

Im not even sure this warrants a response. If you dont understand roster depth and continuity from a returning majority, Im not going to waste my time explaining it to you. Google it.
Roster depth of what kind of player? As soon as Cal stops having top 5 or 10 recruiting classes, bball fans will complain that he cannot recruit. If he gets top classes, many of the players will go pro. If he gets second tier players that develop, they will also leave early. Choose your medicine. Get used to the fact that kids have changed and the game has changed. It will never be what it was. Imo, though I am not an avid bball fan ,since i value nc's I'll gladly take my chances with the annual top recruiting classes.

As I said on another thread, imo a way to improve this is situation is to have schools lose a scholarship for a year for each player who signs a pro contract before they've played two full years. That will cause all of college hoops to recruit differently.
So cal should recruit the 100th rated recruit rather than a top 20 recruit?

Roster depth of what kind of player? As soon as Cal stops having top 5 or 10 recruiting classes, bball fans will complain that he cannot recruit. If he gets top classes, many of the players will go pro. If he gets second tier players that develop, they will also leave early. Choose your medicine. Get used to the fact that kids have changed and the game has changed. It will never be what it was. Imo, though I am not an avid bball fan ,since i value nc's I'll gladly take my chances with the annual top recruiting classes.
How old are you out of curiosity

How old are you out of curiosity
Old enough to have seen 60 years of cbb. You?
Old enough to have appreciated Issel, Pratt, Casey. GIVENS,Macy, and the Pitino years. Old enough to have experienced some teams with limited talent, specifically the Tubby years. I'll take the Cal years. OAD is cbb today.

Old enough to have seen 60 years of cbb. You?
Old enough to have appreciated Issel, Pratt, Casey. GIVENS,Macy, and the Pitino years. Old enough to have experienced some teams with limited talent, specifically the Tubby years. I'll take the Cal years. OAD is cbb today.
I asked age, not for your resume. I suspected that you were around that age. Im about 30 yrs younger. Its interesting to me that the crotchety old guy is all for OAD and the young guy hates it.

Youre entitled to your opinion, we're not going to agree, so feel free to keep getting angry and flapping your gums about it old timer. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I guarantee you that theoretical happy medium is a lot easier to type than it is to actually achieve. You never know what these kids are going to do. Or at what rate they’re going to develop. A coach could end up in a situation where he’s really hurting some season. And then the real bitching would commence.

I asked age, not for your resume. I suspected that you were around that age. Im about 30 yrs younger. Its interesting to me that the crotchety old guy is all for OAD and the young guy hates it.

Youre entitled to your opinion, we're not going to agree, so feel free to keep getting angry and flapping your gums about it old timer. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
To be honest, there's little about bball that makes me angry as I don't care all that much about it. I just have a strong opinion re: Cal. Not all for oad, just the way it is. Might as well enjoy it...instead of being crotchety about it.

Have a good day my friend.

Just start getting a couple of top 5 kids and three in the top 10 and it gets fixed. AD was a game changer on both ends. Mix one of those kids with other lower five stars and you are in contention. Our problem is that we have not been getting those top 3 kids.

They also probably know that they can stay closer to home and play on an average college team and still go high in the draft. Cal is getting kids that are working their way into the lottery instead of starting in the lottery.

Statements about basketball being in trouble and all the problems adversely affecting the fan base is premature IMO. So we don't have 23,000 every game. Most college gyms seat half that, yet they thrive. My big screen tv keeps me watching which pays the revenues which are feed back to the colleges. College basketball is a strong national sport. All the cheating just seems to strengthen teams making them more successful. People tune in to Memphis and Wiseman to see how they are doing. Fans still watch Kansas, UNC, Duke, and LSU because they play good baskeball..

Statements about basketball being in trouble and all the problems adversely affecting the fan base is premature IMO. So we don't have 23,000 every game. Most college gyms seat half that, yet they thrive. My big screen tv keeps me watching which pays the revenues which are feed back to the colleges. College basketball is a strong national sport. All the cheating just seems to strengthen teams making them more successful. People tune in to Memphis and Wiseman to see how they are doing. Fans still watch Kansas, UNC, Duke, and LSU because they play good baskeball..

I'm one who has placed college BB way behind college FB and i was born a UK BB fan.

I think the problem as it relates to basketball is that UK grosses about 22 million from its basketball program and the next best SEC school grosses about five million. This is all from ticket sales and required donations to acquire seats . The TV revenue is split equally . So if we fall off in attendance in basketball it will hurt our ability to stay on top more than other schools .

UL is averaging less than 15,000 a game at the Yum Center in a bigger arena than Rupp. Attendance is down in basketball and football all across the nation. Huge HD televisions play a huge part and the cost of driving to games, food and other expenses have hurt attendance. I’m as excited about UK football and basketball as I have ever been but my schedule simply doesn’t permit me to attend many games.

Reactions: Jazzycat
So cal should recruit the 100th rated recruit rather than a top 20 recruit?
I don't know, should he? If you see a guy that will blossom in 1-2 years vs. maybe not 1st year, and he keeps your scholarship number full, you may want him over a sure fire ond.

It's the coach's job to manage the roster. Isn't he paid enough to figure that out?

People keep saying this. I just dont care. Im not an NBA fan at all. And we arent getting the best. We're getting the 2nd tier down. And I would rather develop guys over 4 yrs to be a cohesive team than get the best freshmen. We dont get to reap a y of the benefits of their growth, we just come up short.

So no, I dont want to watch us keep shooting ourselves in the foot by turning over the roster in the name of talent while scheduling poorly so they can acclimate, and want us to change our philosophy.
I also get tired of hearing bb HC keep saying his most important job is getting these players to the NBA.....no, your most important job is to win Championships for the University of Kentucky. Fortunately I like football more than bb.....football is just more exciting to me and always has been.

LOL....this is a football board and we're talking basketball, this thread really should be in rafters forum. I get it's about comparing attendance but it has drifted mainly to bb

I also get tired of hearing bb HC keep saying his most important job is getting these players to the NBA.....no, your most important job is to win Championships for the University of Kentucky. Fortunately I like football more than bb.....football is just more exciting to me and always has been.
I greatly prefer football and baseball to basketball. I only care about basketball at UK. Other levels I'm ambivalent about. The thing that seperates UK basketball from other Southern schools is that these games in November and December matter, while everyone else is still wholly football focused. We've bastardized our tradition in order to aid recruiting and it's just, for me, gotten very stale.

Football meanwhile, has really ramped up. I will still voice concerns about Stoops conservative bent on offense, but hot damn, did I ever think I'd see us play defense at UK like we have with him? Not a chance. It's fun and it's about time we stepped the hell up and played SEC football.

If people want to tell me March is all that matters, like it is everywhere else, that's fine. I'll start getting emotionally invested in basketball wins and losses in February then.

Reactions: UKat1 and law1127
As I tweeted NBA needs to set salary cap:
No college- 100000
1 year college and - 250000
2 years college - 1000000
3 years college- 2500000
4 years college- no set amount

I am using amounts as examples only. For college graduates minimum/ no max

I'm with you in liking Football more than bball. I can watch any two college teams play Football any time. While I might watch an occasional regular season game, I'm generally not interested in cbb until tournament time.

A different view: The purpose, and I would contend the ONLY purpose, of colleges is to prepare students to gain the skills, training and experiences necessary to obtain jobs in the profession of their choice. With that in mind, Cal is doing exactly what all college coaches, professors should be doing. In fact, he may arguably be the most effective, successful coach in all of college sports

Put me in the group of someone 10 years ago who wouldn’t dare miss a basketball game. Could barely afford to go to games but I made it every now and then. Now my feeling is... apathy. Do I want us to win every game... yes.. life is certainly busier but UK is no longer a priority and I must admit the one and done system is not drawing me in as a fan. I mean when Cal first got here and you had Wall, cousins, bledsoe, Davis, Kidd, Jones, lamb, knight, Harrison twins, Townes, Willie, those guys were next level and fun to watch from day one. Last few 3-4 years I’d say maybe Monk, Fox, Bam, and maybe Shia towards the end... but his recruiting hasn’t been great. He’s no longer getting three top 10 guys but maybe three top 30 guy..which is great if they played more than a year. But honestly as a fan most these players come in and are the right mold (right height althetics ability etc.) but played terrible for the first 4 months then have a decent decent performance in month 5 and hops to the NBA. It’s just not fun to watch our program get used by these garbage players. Herro.. played like garbage until last two months, then takes off to the NBA. Players like Skal labiassier. Total dumpster fire who played decent in the last 3 weeks and went pro. You know good for the player. Yay for them but the loser in this formula is the UK fan who has to put up with there terrible play. Lack of hustle and decent play until the NBA scouts show up. The new faces every year. It’s just not as fun anymore. I’m still going to watch but win or lose it doesn’t bother me anymore... which unfortunately is a step away from not watching them as often. Then maybe just frankly not caring at all. As far as renewing as a season ticket holder. Pulled the plug a few years ago. Don’t ever see myself coming back. I’m 32 years old so not one of these old folks with the whole “back in my day...” this is A current problem with the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT