Attacking UCLA's 1-2-2 zone

Discussion in 'Rupp Rafters - Basketball Forum' started by MdWIldcat55, Mar 20, 2017.

1. MdWIldcat55

MdWIldcat55 All-American
    Expand Collapse

UCLA will almost certainly zone the whole game. Who would Alford guard man-to-man? I was traveling overseas when the teams met in December. Given the score, nobody's defense was that great. Kentucky's has improved. I'm sure UCLA's has as well.

But on paper, UK should be the ideal team to slash into the seams of a 1-2-2, with Fox, Monk and Briscoe all capable of getting into the paint. I hope Cal is drilling them to only take the 3 when open after the defense collapses on a driver. If the Cats just pass it around the perimeter and chuck up a late shot, it'll be a long day.

Bluesnky likes this.
  2. JerseyCat84

JerseyCat84 All-American
    Expand Collapse

We winneth

3. jwhite123

jwhite123 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Elbow drives should be open all day if we move the ball like we have been. With Fox hitting the midrange jumper consistently now it should open up jumpers for Willis and Monk as well as the lob to Bam. I'm starting to feel more confident about this game than I should.

4. UKWildcats#8

UKWildcats#8 All-American
    Expand Collapse

You are100% wrong on ucla. They play no d

UKCatnNC likes this.
  5. EMMCAT

EMMCAT Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Alford took Ball off Fox in the first game because he could not stay in front of him. I will be shocked if they don't play a LOT of zone. They have to protect Ball and Alford. Briscoe in the center of the floor is a zone killer .It would be ironic if he becomes the hero after all his struggles.

ganner918 likes this.
  6. JonathanW

JonathanW All-American
    Expand Collapse

I could see them do a box-&-1, with the chaser on Monk, especially after he hits his first couple of shots.