ADVERTISEMENT

Attacking UCLA's 1-2-2 zone

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
UCLA will almost certainly zone the whole game. Who would Alford guard man-to-man? I was traveling overseas when the teams met in December. Given the score, nobody's defense was that great. Kentucky's has improved. I'm sure UCLA's has as well.

But on paper, UK should be the ideal team to slash into the seams of a 1-2-2, with Fox, Monk and Briscoe all capable of getting into the paint. I hope Cal is drilling them to only take the 3 when open after the defense collapses on a driver. If the Cats just pass it around the perimeter and chuck up a late shot, it'll be a long day.

Reactions: Bluesnky
Elbow drives should be open all day if we move the ball like we have been. With Fox hitting the midrange jumper consistently now it should open up jumpers for Willis and Monk as well as the lob to Bam. I'm starting to feel more confident about this game than I should.

UCLA will almost certainly zone the whole game. Who would Alford guard man-to-man? I was traveling overseas when the teams met in December. Given the score, nobody's defense was that great. Kentucky's has improved. I'm sure UCLA's has as well.

But on paper, UK should be the ideal team to slash into the seams of a 1-2-2, with Fox, Monk and Briscoe all capable of getting into the paint. I hope Cal is drilling them to only take the 3 when open after the defense collapses on a driver. If the Cats just pass it around the perimeter and chuck up a late shot, it'll be a long day.

You are100% wrong on ucla. They play no d

Reactions: UKCatnNC
You are100% wrong on ucla. They play no d
Alford took Ball off Fox in the first game because he could not stay in front of him. I will be shocked if they don't play a LOT of zone. They have to protect Ball and Alford. Briscoe in the center of the floor is a zone killer .It would be ironic if he becomes the hero after all his struggles.

Reactions: ganner918
I could see them do a box-&-1, with the chaser on Monk, especially after he hits his first couple of shots.

ADVERTISEMENT