ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon College Basketball Preview Magazine

CatsnRoses

Senior
May 13, 2007
SIAP, but anyone seen this in stores yet? IIRC it usually comes out in late-August/early-September but I've gone to several stores in the past couple of weeks looking for it and no luck.

TIA.

Yes I got it at Walmart a couple of days ago. Has Richards, Green and Washington on the cover.
Has Kansas, UK, dUKe, Gonzage and Nevada as their top 5.

I always buy this magazine at Walmart as well. Have done so the last 20 years or so. Always a treat reading it while I get my oil changed. :)

I always read the college basketball preview mag that has UK ranked the highest over about a 1 month span while I take 15-20 minute breaks on the shitter.

Reactions: CalCat57
It also had Reid Travis as UK highest ranked player in college at #17 if I recall correctly (I looked through it in the store and put back on shelf).

No way that happens. Washington or KJ will be our best player this year.

Athlon has Reid Travis as player of the year and newcomer of the year. Travis and Washington All SEC First Team, Johnson 2nd team, Montgomery 3rd team.

Reactions: Cindog28
Yup, I picked up both mags last week at Meijers and like Col, I read them while on the grunt stump. Wife is thrilled about it. I can tell by how she rolls her eyes.
Fun to read, but they are way off on some things. But that's why they play the games.
Like Cal says, eventually you have to step inside the ropes. Love that saying.

Actually standing in Kroger right now reading Lindy’s. Very high on UK as a team but has only Reid Travis in the top 75 players in the country. PJ is next at 83!!!!!!!!

Unreal.

That's in the top 2 % of players in men's basketball. That means he's better than 98% of the ~ 4,500 college players. How is that a slight?

This is one of those seasons that it looks like the total is greater than the individual parts. This team's greatness will come from their ability to blend with each other and be a true team.....I don't put too much stock in preseason numbers and predictions...........they are fun to look at but are not a real predictor......

Reactions: GG24
Some of y’all are just nasty. When i go to the bathroom nothing goes with me and nothing comes back out when I’m done.

That's in the top 2 % of players in men's basketball. That means he's better than 98% of the ~ 4,500 college players. How is that a slight?
Do you have a life? I’m guessing no since you are trying to start s*** in a thread that doesn’t involve your team.

And by the way, PJ is easily a top 50 player in college and will more than likely be taken in the NBA draft.

Please, get outside and get in the sun for a few minutes every day. Your mom is a nice lady, have her help you with the sunscreen.

Do you have a life? I’m guessing no since you are trying to start s*** in a thread that doesn’t involve your team.

And by the way, PJ is easily a top 50 player in college and will more than likely be taken in the NBA draft.

Please, get outside and get in the sun for a few minutes every day. Your mom is a nice lady, have her help you with the sunscreen.

My point was that it is not an insult to be better than 98% of the players in college basketball. I think PJ is a first rounder and Reid will be taken in the second round. PJ has more upside.

I like talking basketball.

Well give the kid a break. Poor boy likes talking about college bound NBA players. And well, there isnt much to talk about when it comes to KU and NBA talent.

It also had Reid Travis as UK highest ranked player in college at #17 if I recall correctly (I looked through it in the store and put back on shelf).

No way that happens. Washington or KJ will be our best player this year.
Yep, that's not surprising. These college sports guys are traditionalists and they value the known and proven commodity over the newcomer, regardless of how talented the freshmen may be. And I'm certainly not saying Travis isn't one of our best. He clearly is, but he's got a lot of help and, as you say, he's certainly not our most talented player, which was clearly demonstrated in the Bahamas.

And that brings me to another point, which is that many of these articles were likely written before our Bahamas tour. To be honest, before those games, I likely would have said that Travis and Washington were 1 and 1a for the most important players we have this coming season. They should put a "written on" date on these articles so we can know what info the author had at that time.

Reactions: musrat59
I’m always surprised when I learn that a poster here is a woman. Pics?
giphy.gif

[laughing]

Just got a copy of Street & Smith's magazine. It has top 5 of
1, Kansas
2. Virginia
3 dUKe
4. Tennessee
5. Kentucky

Man back in the day ( early to late 90's) I lived for those mags both in preseason CFB and CBB . Athlons , Lindy's , Street and Smith , Sporting News ect .

Like you, I have a four drawer filing cabinet full of those old mags, look at them once and awhile just for fun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT