ADVERTISEMENT

Ashton Hagans extends school record after stat change

i noticed the box score short changed him because he had two basically in three possessions i remember in the second half and then the one where the camera missed it because it happened so fast.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
You wonder if we would of seen this had green still been here.

Might have but not to this level. Hagans is a guy who needs time to work through his mistakes (so is Quickley). With Green here Cal felt obligated to play him and it lead to a quick hook for all 3. Hagans has been a monster since Green left and IQ has been a lot better too

You wonder if we would of seen this had green still been here.

I went into the season really liking Green and expecting a lot. He sorta flatlined in his development. It may just be the fact he was limited by his size and athleticism. I think him leaving really opened up the rotation.

I also think Baker nearly cancels out his loss as well. He’s not as good offensively despite showing potential from 3, but is much better defensively. Sorta evens out in that respect.

Interesting. I don't remember any. Maybe a couple of deflections. Was thinking late in the game that I hadn't seen any that I could recall.

For sure don't think the announcers mentioned any but now that I think about it, I had it on mute maybe half the time.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
I went into the season really liking Green and expecting a lot. He sorta flatlined in his development. It may just be the fact he was limited by his size and athleticism. I think him leaving really opened up the rotation.

I also think Baker nearly cancels out his loss as well. He’s not as good offensively despite showing potential from 3, but is much better defensively. Sorta evens out in that respect.

Thought the same thing about green and baker’s defense has been solid. Very surprising.

No you’re spot on in the size and athleticism. I like Quade but he can’t handle the kind of athletes he has to to compete for a National Championship. If he’s a knock down 3pt shooter then you can play him, but he was streaky at best.

Hagans is a much better athlete and defender, IQ is much longer, doesn’t press like Quade did, and a comparable shooter. I hope Quade does very well at Washington, just like I rooted for Wiltjer at Gonzaga but he was never a great fit here for whatever reason

Wtf? I asked if hagans would still be as good without green. I’m failing to make the connection between that and why that question was directed to me

Probably just adding to the discussion and quoted you for some odd reason rather than just replying.

As for can he get the record without looking it is Rondo and I think it’s 86 or 87. If Hagans keeps up his current pace he won’t get there but he’ll be way up the list

Hagans does it without fouling and that’s impressive. He does harass the ball but a lot of his steals are interceptions with separation from the ball handler. His anticipation is exceptional.

Do deflections that end up turnovers count as steals for the deflector?

Up to the official scorer. If you deflect the ball and someone else makes the catch I’m fine with the person who made the play that caused the turnover getting the credit. One he got credited for was a pass he batted that Reid caught and it only happened because Hagan made a play

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
No you’re spot on in the size and athleticism. I like Quade but he can’t handle the kind of athletes he has to to compete for a National Championship. If he’s a knock down 3pt shooter then you can play him, but he was streaky at best.

Hagans is a much better athlete and defender, IQ is much longer, doesn’t press like Quade did, and a comparable shooter. I hope Quade does very well at Washington, just like I rooted for Wiltjer at Gonzaga but he was never a great fit here for whatever reason

Spot on. It's interesting that you mention Wiltjer; I think the Green transfer will be ver similar. Neither could handle the athleticism night in and night out in the SEC. But they are both good offensive players who can thrive when they aren't exposed on the defensive end by better athletes.

Reactions: Catzman
Wtf? I asked if hagans would still be as good without green. I’m failing to make the connection between that and why that question was directed to me

Taking Green's minutes has been a blessing for Hagens, be is only starting to realize how good he can be.. Guess he was just asking what Rondo's record is..

Spot on. It's interesting that you mention Wiltjer; I think the Green transfer will be ver similar. Neither could handle the athleticism night in and night out in the SEC. But they are both good offensive players who can thrive when they aren't exposed on the defensive end by better athletes.

Green will do good playing for Hopkins in the no defense Pac 12..

Macy with 69!? Never would’ve guessed that.

He’s one of my favorite point guards of all time, but never thought he’d be that high on the steals list. Impressive for a comparatively short, not-so-athletic guard.

Reactions: CastleRubric

Yep - sorry about that

I rarely pay attention to which post I select to respond to a thread ... it’s just my way of jumping in sometimes

Good convo to be having though

Cartersville is a somewhat unexpected place for such a strong recruit IMO
Used to drive past that area all the time and it’s kinda rural .... north Georgia

Yeah I thought Minniefield was a solid guess. Would’ve taken me a long while to come up with Rhodes. Prickett id have never come up with for top 10

Macy with 69!? Never would’ve guessed that.

He’s one of my favorite point guards of all time, but never thought he’d be that high on the steals list. Impressive for a comparatively short, not-so-athletic guard.
I recall his listed height as 6'4 maybe 6'3 neither of which are comparatively short for point guards. I do agree on the not-so-athletic part though. But he was what we called back then a "heady" player.

Three more games of three steals and he can tie Chris Paul

He'll probably get at least 70.

Only four UK players have ever had more than 70 steals in a single season. Rondo's obviously one. Can y'all name the other three without looking?

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/statistics/seasonsteals.html

What's crazy is Noel is on that list at 50 in only 24 games. If he plays the full 40 games like everyone else, his average would put him at 83 for the season as our 7 foot center. He ALSO would've had 177 or so blocks. F**king insane.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT