ADVERTISEMENT

As expected Mashburn Jr. picks Pitiner Jr.

You know, I'll commend daddy Mash on his unbreakable loyalty to his college coach.

I think that loyalty is misplaced on an undeserving recipient and, unfortunately, it meant wrecking his relationship with UK, but still that kind of loyalty ain't easy to come by these days.

For whatever reason, Mash totally and completely drank the Pitino Kool Aid. It's almost like he thinks he owes the Pitinos, when really it's the opposite.

You know, I'll commend daddy Mash on his unbreakable loyalty to his college coach.

I think that loyalty is misplaced on an undeserving recipient and, unfortunately, it meant wrecking his relationship with UK, but still that kind of loyalty ain't easy to come by these days.

For whatever reason, Mash totally and completely drank the Pitino Kool Aid. It's almost like he thinks he owes the Pitinos, when really it's the opposite.
They had a great run together. Shared experiences make for strong relationships.

Mashburn and Rick Pitino are business partners in a VERY successful company. Also, Richard has been having some success. Nothing against little Mash but I doubt he had all the top programs beating down his door. Decision makes plenty of sense to me.

Did I miss something?

Did you not notice the way Mash stopped returning to UK and declined to attend reunions after Pitino got hired by UL? Or how he simply refuses to talk about the Calipari era cats?

It's clear that's not coincidental. It's all about his loyalty to Pitino.

Last edited:
Reactions: KFuqua
I don’t hate anyone, but having said that, I’ve stated my disdain for RP ever since I’ve been on this board. Yes he brought us back from a dark place. Yes he left for Boston, that’s his right to change jobs. And yes he went to our rival. Like most UK fans, that disgusted me. But again, it’s his right to do so. He also threw offhand comments (negative) at us from time to time. As a former coach who left on good terms, that’s a bad look. His personal life is none of my business, he just ruined his reputation with his sex scandal. And yes, he flipped off the crowd in Rupp. I wasn’t there but he may as well been standing in my face. That’s something you might expect from a 14 year old, not an aging successful college coach. Don’t hate him, but have zero respect for the man.

With all due respect, that's an incredibly idiotic recruitment process.

My dad played for your dad so I should play for you? It's one thing if the son goes to play for the same coach dad played for--that makes sense--but this is weird.

And Minnesota of all places? Really? I mean I can get not wanting to go to the usual blue bloods/ high profile programs (UK, UNC, Duke etc) but Minnesota?? What a terrible place to live lol

How long are we supposed to hate on the man that saved the program? Not at UL now.
Kentucky basketball will never need to be saved by anyone and will always be bigger than Pimptino or any coach that comes along. Look how quickly UofL has bounced back from Hooker-Gate and a lost banner. You think Pitino is the only coach that could have brought UK thru probation? We've won two nattys since the turd left. The "Saved the Program" BS is old and wrong.

Pitino_nzzkd8.png

I don't really care that his son went to play for daddy's boy. He ain't the player Monster Mash was and won't likely ever play against UK.

Good for him. Minnesota is an up and coming team. I think it would have been cool if he came here but that’s ok. Come on guys, just be happy for him and be happy for Jamal Mashburn. Some of you guys have short memories. Talk about loyalty? Talk about a guy who could have went anywhere but he chose Kentucky and I don’t care what his reasons where then. He had a great 3 year run here, took us from the ashes to the Final Four. My memory might be failing me, according to my wife, but I remember many games he played in, too numerous to count where his play was almost unbelievable. Arkansas SEC tournament just came out and destroyed them. Love the guy, very happy for jr. I hope he has a great career at Minnesota.

With all due respect, that's an incredibly idiotic recruitment process.

My dad played for your dad so I should play for you? It's one thing if the son goes to play for the same coach dad played for--that makes sense--but this is weird.
Not idiotic. You dont know the relationship or behind the scenes, you only know the surface of it. Theres a good chance the family is pretty close, and the kids have probably known each other since they were babies. Nothing wrong with going to a program where youre familiar with the coach.

It's not surprising coming from Mashburn's son. Jamaal has always been very loyal to Rick. I think Richard probably reminds him of the old Rick. And there are some ways he reminds me of the old man, too, but unfortunately he's not half the coach his dad was, especially when Rick was in his prime while at UK.

I'll always love Mashburn for what he did for UK. He signed when nobody else would and he was instrumental to the rebuilding job that led to 3 straight title game appearances and 2 titles.

Having said that, truth be told, Mashburn, Jr isn't half the player his dad was. He's a good player, don't get me wrong. If he has his dad's heart, he will have a good college career, but he's not a guy who would start at UK, especially early on. I wish him well, though, for his dad's sake.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
He's a nice player but he's mainly going to college to learn how to successfully build on his dad's fortune.

Kentucky basketball will never need to be saved by anyone and will always be bigger than Pimptino or any coach that comes along. Look how quickly UofL has bounced back from Hooker-Gate and a lost banner. You think Pitino is the only coach that could have brought UK thru probation? We've won two nattys since the turd left. The "Saved the Program" BS is old and wrong.

Pitino_nzzkd8.png
But Pitino did save the program.

We were dog crap back in '89. Coming off a 13 win season, facing multiple years of sanctions, the laughing stock of college basketball.

Pitino turned that around and in our first year off probation, was a Laettner miracle away from the Final Four and a potential national championship.

A year later, he was an OT away from the national title game. A few years later, he won it all with the greatest collection of talent any coach has put together in the modern era. Then he almost did it again the next year even after his All-American guard went down with a season-ending injury.

I get the whole "he betrayed us" narrative; but I will never buy that stained stock about how anyone ole coach could have taken us off the probation the same way Pitino did.

It isn't and will never be true, no matter how many times we try to tell ourselves the fairy tale.

Pitino did for UK what no other coach could have done at the time. Our fans don't have to love the man, but the revisionist history stuff regarding his time at UK is utter rubbish.

Last edited:
But Pitino did save the program.

We were dog crap back in '89. Coming off a 13 win season, facing multiple years of sanctions, the laughing stock of college basketball.

Pitino turned that around and in our first year off probation, was a Laettner miracle away from the Final Four and a potential national championship.

A year later, he was an OT away from the national title game. A few years later, he won it all with the greatest collection of talent any coach has put together in the modern era.

I get the whole "he betrayed us" narrative; but I will never buy that sh*t-stained stock about how anyone ole coach could have taken us off the probation the same way Pitino did.

It isn't and will never be true, no matter how many times we try to tell ourselves the fairy tale.

Pitino did for UK what no other coach could have done at the time. Our fans don't have to love the man, but the revisionist history stuff regarding his time at UK is utter rubbish.
Let's just agree to disagree. I enjoyed his time here but he will never be welcomed back to Rupp Arena because of the slimey way he chose to live his life and for giving the finger to BBN. His arrogance and lust were his Achilles heel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT