ADVERTISEMENT

Article: SEC breakout players

I generally think of "breakout guys" as those who showed some good things last year and there is a reasonable expectation they will "emerge" this year with much more PT. The writer acknowledges Wilson being "the riskiest choice" but I am not sure what he means with the following rationale:

Wilson feels like the better fit in Kentucky's tempo-based system and has a similar skill set of last year's starter, Stephen Johnson

I say that because the word "tempo" almost always applies to a "fast tempo" rather than what we have seen the last 2 years under Gran (i.e., "ball control").

Peace

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I agree he is more similar to SJ, but I believe Gunnar will fit Grans system better with the way he can throw the intermediate throws accurately and still has decent wheels when needed. As Cubelic has stated in his article, Gunnar is the better fit and knows the playbook.

Thing is, many of these journalists know just as much as we do. Those who cover all 14 SEC teams know probably less than we do because they don't really focus much time on UK football.

Gunnar vs Terry will probably be a week of Sept 1st decision and there's a 100% chance we will see both play Sept 1st. I wouldnt mind seeing Gunnar driving down the field, then have defenses try to stop Benny/Terry/Bowden in the red zone.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I agree he is more similar to SJ, but I believe Gunnar will fit Grans system better with the way he can throw the intermediate throws accurately and still has decent wheels when needed. As Cubelic has stated in his article, Gunnar is the better fit and knows the playbook.

Thing is, many of these journalists know just as much as we do. Those who cover all 14 SEC teams know probably less than we do because they don't really focus much time on UK football.

Gunnar vs Terry will probably be a week of Sept 1st decision and there's a 100% chance we will see both play Sept 1st. I wouldnt mind seeing Gunnar driving down the field, then have defenses try to stop Benny/Terry/Bowden in the red zone.
Alot of this decision goes beyond the qb. How does the oline look blocking UK outstanding pass rushers. How do the wr get open and make plays. You can't keep Wilson's legs on the bench if the wr group is mediocre.

Reactions: Poetax
Alot of this decision goes beyond the qb. How does the oline look blocking UK outstanding pass rushers. How do the wr get open and make plays. You can't keep Wilson's legs on the bench if the wr group is mediocre.

Can't keep Gunnar on the bench if Wilson's legs are mediocre either.

0 games over 100 rushing yds in JUCO
3 Games over 50 rushing yds in JUCO

5 Total Rushing TDs in JUCO

Could we be over playing what Terry can do vs SEC defenses with his legs? Very possible.

Totally agree. But sometimes have to filter out some fan partiality. [winking]

Peace

Questioning who should be starting at QB is a question every fanbase does when there is no clear starter, sometimes even when a returning starter has been successful. Bama fans want Tua when Hurts is something like 27-2 as a starter, UGA has a large group who want Fields to start over Fromm and he hasn't taken a college snap. So it isn't surprising when UK fans are debating the starter when whoever it is will be a 1st year starter. My guess would be whoever can run the offense AND protect the ball the better of the 2 or 3 will be UK's starter, and the offense will be run to that QB's strength, a little more passing if with Hoak and alot more RPO if Wilson..

I have thought all alone Fromm will be our starter, but this new redshirt rule will force some coaches to make some interesting decisions..

Could we be over playing what Terry can do vs SEC defenses with his legs? Very possible.
I saw his speed with my own eyes. If Terry is featured in the run game he will have big yardage. I promise you a qb with high D1 aspirations is not going to run all the time. Would you risk your future at a juco? Common sense tells me a dude with his speed and a threat like Benny is going to get the edge a ton. We will just have to see. In the end I don't give a shit who the qb is as Wildcard suggested below. I want to win and have the ability to use common sense when judging a jucos running stats.

I generally think of "breakout guys" as those who showed some good things last year and there is a reasonable expectation they will "emerge" this year with much more PT. The writer acknowledges Wilson being "the riskiest choice" but I am not sure what he means with the following rationale:

Wilson feels like the better fit in Kentucky's tempo-based system and has a similar skill set of last year's starter, Stephen Johnson

I say that because the word "tempo" almost always applies to a "fast tempo" rather than what we have seen the last 2 years under Gran (i.e., "ball control").

Peace
Thought the exact same thing WC...Ain't happening

I saw his speed with my own eyes. If Terry is featured in the run game he will have big yardage. I promise you a qb with high D1 aspirations is not going to run all the time. Would you risk your future at a juco? Common sense tells me a dude with his speed and a threat like Benny is going to get the edge a ton. We will just have to see. In the end I don't give a shit who the qb is as Wildcard suggested below. I want to win and have the ability to use common sense when judging a jucos running stats.

The dude rushed 17 times in some of those games... A JUCO Dual Threat QB is obviously going to have to run to get D1 offers. He sure isn't known for his throwing. What you said doesn't make much sense my friend.

People truly get upset when I bring up his JUCO stats. I think it's okay to doubt a guy and point out possible flaws. Everyone is all for it until I point out flaws of a guy on their team. Gunnar has flaws too, it's okay.

Last edited:
The dude rushed 17 times in some of those games... A JUCO Dual Threat QB is obviously going to have to run to get D1 offers. He sure isn't known for his throwing. What you said doesn't make much sense my friend.

People truly get upset when I bring up his JUCO stats. I think it's okay to doubt a guy and point out possible flaws. Everyone is all for it until I point out flaws of a guy on their team. Gunnar has flaws too, it's okay.
Yes and the 10 articles I read said his oline was worse than awful. I take into account sacks go into those rushing totals. You can get sacked 4 times for -35 yards and rush 6 for 50 and your total looks like 10 carries 15 yards

Reactions: BigTyrone

You like Hoak to start I could care less so in the end I really do not care.

Since stats are everything. Your boy Hoak threw for 1800 yards as a senior. I guess going off that we have no hope between him and Terry .

Since stats are everything. Your boy Hoak threw for 1800 yards as a senior. I guess going off that we have no hope between him and Terry .

Well he kind of was playing with a sprained ankle, and even missed a game from it. Plus it didn't help his team won 4 of the first 6 games by 5+ TDs and Gunnar only played part of those games. In the 2 games where they let him throw more than 21 passes, he had 662 yards and 4 TDs. Not to mention this was 3 years ago...

I would also love to see 10 articles that said Terry's o-line in JUCO was terrible. Actually I would like to see 3 articles that mention Garden City CC's o-line anywhere lol.

Look, I am not saying Gunnar is great, do I like him better than the other option? Yes. But you are way over dramatizing everything I say.

Last edited:
Reactions: __Football__
Well he kind of was playing with a sprained ankle, and even missed a game from it. Plus it didn't help his team won 4 of the first 6 games by 5+ TDs and Gunnar only played part of those games. In the 2 games where they let him throw more than 21 passes, he had 662 yards and 4 TDs.

I would also love to see 10 articles that said Terry's o-line in JUCO was terrible. Actually I would like to see 3 articles that mention Garden City CC's o-line anywhere lol.

Look, I am not saying Gunnar is great, do I like him better than the other option? Yes. But you are way over dramatizing everything I say.
We will just have to see. All I ever said was how other parts of team look will determine who starts. We can both point to stats but the eye test says Wilson is a more explosive runner than Hoak. I hope whoever wins the job puts 35 ppg on the board.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
We will just have to see. All I ever said was how other parts of team look will determine who starts. We can both point to stats but the eye test says Wilson is a more explosive runner than Hoak. I hope whoever wins the job puts 35 ppg on the board.
That will win!!!

As with every player, we don't know what his job was with his juco team. All we know is what we saw in the BW game which I personally put no stock in what the QBs do because they are untouchable. Hopefully whoever gets the job moves the ball and scores.

5 potential each side of line:

Paschal, Hoskins, Bohannon, Watson, West.

Young, George AA, Rose, Bowden, Epps

Reactions: RV2
Sadly this thread, like many others, has mostly turned into this
Pissing%2BContest.%2BNo%2B%2BContest.jpg

Sadly this thread, like many others, has mostly turned into this
Pissing%2BContest.%2BNo%2B%2BContest.jpg

What kind of a contest is this, the guy on the left looks like he isn't even trying, what is the prize? No trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night?

We do run a tempo offense. Specifically in the first and third quarters. If we get 7 yards on first down we’re normally right up to the line and snap if relatively quickly.

I think Gran does a fantastic job of tempo. He’s got such a feel for when to press it and when to let off the gas.

I get hard watching him call a 5 minute drive that leads to points going into halftime. He does it seemingly every game.

Reactions: BigTyrone
Well he kind of was playing with a sprained ankle, and even missed a game from it. Plus it didn't help his team won 4 of the first 6 games by 5+ TDs and Gunnar only played part of those games. In the 2 games where they let him throw more than 21 passes, he had 662 yards and 4 TDs. Not to mention this was 3 years ago...

And you said I was argumentative. Lol

I agree on Rose and Epps, but I think Bowden broke out with more than a thousand APY's last year. I guess it's debatable, though, as he could more than double that this season.

Understood. I think Bowden, not unlike West, will show considerable improvement from last year. Two highly talented football players who will grow from the experience of last year and their off-season work.

When Bowden scores a TD this year, it'll be his first as a Wildcat. Hope to see him the end zone quite a bit.

AJ and Lynn are my picks for breakout on offense.

Paschal and Allen on defense will be breakouts in the sense that the media will give them the credit they should alreayd have been receiving. It won't be news to us though.

Having Allen, Paschal and Boogie on the field together the majority of the time will be HUGE for this defense. If Hoskins and Bohanna improve like I expect them to, our defensive front will be just fine.

The only thing I want in our starter is a guy who can complete intermediate throws. If we do that then the lbers will have to back of the line which frees Benny up even more. If they bring the safeties down then we go over the top. Either way it is a win win situation for the offense. You are not going to beat the top level SEC teams trying to run sideline to sideline. You have to back them off the LOS.

ADVERTISEMENT