ADVERTISEMENT

Article on Cal’s decline at UK

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017

“Kentucky fans, by reputation, are a fairly thankless lot. The expectations in Lexington are never less than sky-high.”

“But the hot seat is never really cool in Lexington and Calipari is approaching late years of Tubby Smith levels of warmth.

a couple of statements that stood out and there are many more. Read that first one UK fans expectations are never less than “Sky-high”. Please read that folks. This is UK basketball sky high expectations always.

The other is Cal IS on the hot seat. Beginning to compare him to late years tubby. There is a whole lot more in this article but it sums things up nicely and why many in the fanbase are clamoring for change.

sJPtzmh.png

“Kentucky fans, by reputation, are a fairly thankless lot. The expectations in Lexington are never less than sky-high.”

“But the hot seat is never really cool in Lexington and Calipari is approaching late years of Tubby Smith levels of warmth.

a couple of statements that stood out and there are many more. Read that first one UK fans expectations are never less than “Sky-high”. Please read that folks. This is UK basketball sky high expectations always.

The other is Cal IS on the hot seat. Beginning to compare him to late years tubby. There is a whole lot more in this article but it sums things up nicely and why many in the fanbase are clamoring for change.
Tubby's last few years were better than Cal's. Even Gillespie's last 2 years were better than Cal's last 2 years.

I hate the way the media portrays Kentucky fans as having unrealistic expectations. Any coach at any power conference school is going to have a warm seat after a 9-16 season. Going years without an NCAA tournament win will warm up the seat of a coach at any traditional basketball blue blood.

Do they really bitch about Alabama football fans this way also? God forbid a place have freaking standards.

I hate the way the media portrays Kentucky fans as having unrealistic expectations. Any coach at any power conference school is going to have a warm seat after a 9-16 season. Going years without an NCAA tournament win will warm up the seat of a coach at any traditional basketball blue blood.
I think they were fair in portraying us. We have enormous expectations and those are why UK bb has achieved and will continue to achieve excellence. I don’t think it’s fair to portray fans as “thankless”. That’s misguided. Our fans by the 1000s stay for the post game show with cal, they shower all the players with praise in public. There is a lot of love from fans. You never use the word “thankless” when the head coach is getting paid 9 million a year. The bottom line is at UK basketball, like the Yankees, the cowboys or Lakers, bama fb you gotta win. You have a couple bad seasons it’s probably bc your heart wasn’t in it so move on. That’s all UK fans want a passionate, accomplished, knowledgeable coach who is as hungry as the fans. And for a program paying top dollar we should have that every season.

Omg here he comes, the trolling and ignorant @Wildcats1st with another stupid post to start a thread.
Saturdaydownsouth.com
Are you kidding me?
He's quoting Matt Jones twitter account.
Get a life troll!!!
I linked an article and I’m a troll. Lol. Ok Brad. You’ve become very hostile since coming back from Detroit. Lighten up. What about that article is wrong? I mean come on tough guy. Show us some intellect instead of this unhinged hostility.

I linked an article and I’m a troll. Lol. Ok Brad. You’ve become very hostile since coming back from Detroit. Lighten up. What about that article is wrong? I mean come on tough guy. Show us some intellect instead of this unhinged hostility.
It's from Saturdaydownsouth.com quoting Matt Jones for 25 % of their article. Who in the hell are they? What time is there TV or Radio show? Please troll we see who you are!!!

Do they really bitch about Alabama football fans this way also? God forbid a place have freaking standards.
Let’s put it this way. If bama football misses or when they miss a cfb playoff watch out. They expect to be in the final four every year and win it all every 2 out 3 years. No fb coach at Alabama would have survived the job as long as cal has at UK with a comparable record. What’s a 28-8 record in fb like the equivalent of 8 wins? Last season 20-21 would have been like Alabama winning 2 games all season. That coach woulda been gone buyout or not.

This is why I have a problem with Barney. Some sports have gotten better but the expectations for our flagship program have been trampled on. 3 tournament misses with Barney and a losing season. Losing seasons for UK basketball have historically been non existent. Tournament misses? Come on. We don’t miss tournaments. There should be a higher likelihood of a title than tournament miss but Barney has flipped that on it’s head since he became AD.

Now you have guys like blue faithful or whatever who think losing is acceptable. That has never been the case for UK bb and I don’t think it changes til Barney is gone. Does anyone think bama would have given saban an extension much less a lifetime deal after a season he missed the playoffs? That’s what Barney did and he should pay the price.

Anybody saying that we’re unrealistic for expecting better than the last few years can’t be taken seriously. This next season is critical for Calipari and it would be the same for any team worth a damn. Many schools would have canned another coach with the same results already.

I'm guessing the writer did his research at Rupp's Rafters and will now get the hits he craves from the posters at Rupp's Rafters. Circle of life for this narrative is endless as are the threads on this site. Nobody thinks losing is acceptable. Nobody from the UK AD to the staff to the players to bottom of the heap here at RR, but the endless articles and threads are in no way helping anything get better. Has to make recruiting harder when everybody is calling for the coach to be fired no matter what school, but especially here. Something to think about when linking and posting this stuff.

Reactions: Looksbetterinblue
Anybody saying that we’re unrealistic for expecting better than the last few years can’t be taken seriously. This next season is critical for Calipari and it would be the same for any team worth a damn. Many schools would have canned another coach with the same results already.
I don’t think that’s the reason people think we have unrealistic expectations. Many are looking at Cals entire time here and saying look what he did, it’s ok for them to have a bad Covid year and then a great regular season and an unfortunate upset in the tournament. What they aren’t considering is the smaller details most on here have seen because we are fan-atics. Such as The decline in recruiting, the lack of inbound creativity, and the lack of winning some big games the last 3 years or so. Add in that some also are tired of not having enough shooters, no timeouts in critical situations, lack of changing defense, lack of connectivity with the fan base when not winning.

I don’t think that’s the reason people think we have unrealistic expectations. Many are looking at Cals entire time here and saying look what he did, it’s ok for them to have a bad Covid year and then a great regular season and an unfortunate upset in the tournament. What they aren’t considering is the smaller details most on here have seen because we are fan-atics. Such as The decline in recruiting, the lack of inbound creativity, and the lack of winning some big games the last 3 years or so. Add in that some also are tired of not having enough shooters, no timeouts in critical situations, lack of changing defense, lack of connectivity with the fan base when not winning.
Well stated and thought out post. I agree with everything you said. Cal has got to change the things you mention and a few more. I just think there is overkill on the articles and posts here and they are hurting more than helping now. Cal is going to be here at least another year or two. If that's the case I want him to fix the problems and do great until he is no longer the coach here.

Reactions: JwUKFan11
You guys act like the “COVID year” was the first of many problems. Do you remember before the virus losing at home to Evansville? Do you guys remember that? Do you guys remember losing to 9 seed Kansas state or the 2016 losing in the second round. How about giving cal the lifetime extension after he blew a perfect set up at a ff in 2019. In the past that would have put a UK coach on the hot seat. No the problems are far deeper and the last two seasons should just be validation to all that our program is broken.

as for those of you bitching about people bitching then send cal an email and tell him to fix it. When everything that comes down the pipe from our coach is doo doo well what do you expect from fans with high expectations? You want us to sit on our thumbs and become IU? That’s where it’s headed

And another media type sets the hook on Ky hating underbelly.

He got the thankless bastards right.
See. I’ve always hated that kind of answer.

We’re human. Even when we have lots of things to be thankful for (and we all do in this country) we’re still going to gripe a bit when things aren’t going well.

That’s just human nature. Right now I’ve got an issue with my roof…minor to be sure. And it’s pissing me off. But folks like you would come around and say “Well at least you’ve got one!”

Yes. And I’m thankful for it. However that doesn’t mean I should just leave it be, because Hey! at least it’s there! I have to fix it. Or the problem will get worse or if I’m lucky just be a minor ongoing issue, that may cause other issues.

We have a problem at coaching right now. But I guess we’re thankless bastards because we want it fixed.

No, I’m in the actual UK fan category. Not the fair weather fan with the screaming meme’s category.

AH….there it is again. The malodorous stench of arrogance that comes from playing the “true fan” card. It’s akin to cutting a raunchy fart and then leaving the room.

Nothing is more worthy of a metaphorical kick in the ass than that if you ask me.

Especially when it’s not the joking “we have to root for so and so tonight” stuff.

Reactions: BlueThunderstruck
why are you calling UK fans ''Thankless Bastards''? Alabama fan mad?
Still trying to hide in the big blue mist with the rest of us decent fans there runny? It’s the thankless fair weather fans that whine and can’t cope with a single loss the media suck up was referring to….runny..
See. I’ve always hated that kind of answer.

We’re human. Even when we have lots of things to be thankful for (and we all do in this country) we’re still going to gripe a bit when things aren’t going well.

That’s just human nature. Right now I’ve got an issue with my roof…minor to be sure. And it’s pissing me off. But folks like you would come around and say “Well at least you’ve got one!”

Yes. And I’m thankful for it. However that doesn’t mean I should just leave it be, because Hey! at least it’s there! I have to fix it. Or the problem will get worse or if I’m lucky just be a minor ongoing issue, that may cause other issues.

We have a problem at coaching right now. But I guess we’re thankless bastards because we want it fixed.
That was the author’s word, not mine by the way.

You guys act like the “COVID year” was the first of many problems. Do you remember before the virus losing at home to Evansville? Do you guys remember that? Do you guys remember losing to 9 seed Kansas state or the 2016 losing in the second round. How about giving cal the lifetime extension after he blew a perfect set up at a ff in 2019. In the past that would have put a UK coach on the hot seat. No the problems are far deeper and the last two seasons should just be validation to all that our program is broken.

as for those of you bitching about people bitching then send cal an email and tell him to fix it. When everything that comes down the pipe from our coach is doo doo well what do you expect from fans with high expectations? You want us to sit on our thumbs and become IU? That’s where it’s headed
Did you even read my post? You are dumb as ****.

No, I’m in the actual UK fan category. Not the fair weather fan with the screaming meme’s category.
You and you’re 3 friends epitomize the saying “you made your bed now lie in it” instead of “when it doesn’t work change”. A fix mindset always leads to one thing. Apathy. if UK bb fans were really like you we would be ole miss. Thankfully though your mindset is a massive outlier. It’s almost Baghdad bob territory

And I do not know one blue bleeding UK fan who isn’t unhappy right now with our basketball program. Not one and most of my family and friends live in Lexington.

ADVERTISEMENT