ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas is just better

K_TIME

All-American
Jan 2, 2003
This game I can’t really pin on Cal too much….Arkansas is just better They were shot makers….didn’t turn it over …scored offs defending…made Ky work to score etc…great game

1. Wheeler or no wheeler….he couldn’t have done much with those guards. They are all too long and athletic for him to make anything happen

2. Oscar was bad….but Collins wasn’t going to make much difference. I know this will get most opposing opinions but Collins over long stretches get exposed with his rebound problem.

3. Frederick could not hang out there….

4. We lost on defense end…you give up 88 ..you’re going to lose. Maybe a zone would be better strategy. But ark guards were superb and it’s here to see even a zone slowing them down enough

I don’t see much coaching strategy that would have pulled this one out. Now if we are talking on the season …Cal has done his usual terrible job but as far as one game…we just don’t have horses like they did today

Yep, they had better athletes across the board. Normally they don't shoot lights out, but tonight they made their share of tough shots. Agree on Collins....he's a tall skinny guy who isn't that quick and not very physical. CJ supposedly had sore ribs, but he's still out of his league against these type of athletes.

Wallace kept us from being totally embarassed...Livingston had his moments and at least looked liked he belonged on the floor athletically.

This game I can’t really pin on Cal too much….Arkansas is just better They were shot makers….didn’t turn it over …scored offs defending…made Ky work to score etc…great game

1. Wheeler or no wheeler….he couldn’t have done much with those guards. They are all too long and athletic for him to make anything happen

2. Oscar was bad….but Collins wasn’t going to make much difference. I know this will get most opposing opinions but Collins over long stretches get exposed with his rebound problem.

4. We lost on defense end…you give up 88 ..you’re going to lose. Maybe a zone would be better strategy. But ark guards were superb and it’s here to see even a zone slowing them down enough

I don’t see much coaching strategy that would have pulled this one out. Now if we are talking on the season …Cal has done his usual terrible job but as far as one game…we just don’t have horses like they did today
Maybe if the Cat's played actual team defense, executed an actual offensive the Razorbacks would not have been better.

Arkansas has now won 3 straight in this series with a 4th just a couple weeks away, clear to see who has the better program.

"They were more physical than us" is a phrase heard more and more frequently about UK basketball. There was a time one would never, ever hear that about UK, common now, even a given.

Reactions: K_TIME
It's hard to believe Arkansas was 2 and 5 on the road, Kentucky was badly overrated, probably not even a top 20 team coming into the season. Arkansas had two starters out to and still rubbed our nose in it. Cal is just not getting it done, Kentucky has never put up with mediocrity for very long and look at the last 5 years. If people are ok with that, so be it, but I'm not.

yes they are better and they proved it on the court and coaching.

Kentucky has bought a $9 million Edsel.

iu

Completely agree with the OP. One player you could really see a difference was Ricky Council. The size/athleticism/talent really stood out compared to our wings of Fredrick and Reeves.

I have to give an applause to Arkansas they played really well. Yes, we didn't play horrible but the 3 turn-overs starting the second half set the tone. We were aggressive but they played more aggressive and seemingly brought the fight to us.

I thought Toppin played WEAK. In the beginning of the year, I thought to myself finally he gets to start and he should have the type of year to be a second or third team All-American. BOY was I wrong about him. He's nothing like his brother and most likely will not get drafted. Also CJ has been a major disappointment. He keep passing up shots and will only take a shot if he is completely wide open. Let's move CJ to the bench and replace with Reeves!

On the brightside Collins seems to be improving and getting stronger.

Last edited:
Arkansas does not have a 6-5 record in the SEC by playing the way they did last night. If they played like they did last night in those 11 games they would be 11-0. When you shoot 76% from the field and 90% from the the line, and play the defense they played last night, you are looking at the National Champions. You had guys who were 4/24 for the season from 3 pt lines hitting damn near everything they threw up there. My hats off to them for the the victory last night. The question is can they play that good or even close to it every night?

They didn't even have their two best players lol.

Since the sec as a whole improved the quality of coaching, it's been a quick downhill ride for cal. It's like taking candy from a baby for all these really good coaches

We could not guard them and they played their best game of the season, but I agree they're the better team.

ADVERTISEMENT