ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona commit Akot reclassifying to 2017

Yeah they will be loaded. Trier and Alkins both back with a strong class coming in, including the possible #1 pick in the draft. Would think they will be heavy favorites heading in to next year.

Reactions: ib4ky
If Ayton gets to play, that's your national champion. In a down year, they'll have enough raw talent across the board to just out Jimmy and Joe everyone.

• Projected starting lineup: Parker Jackson-Cartwright, Allonzo Trier, Rawle Alkins, Deandre Ayton, Dusan Ristic
Pretty solid there.

Yeah, they're stacked like we were in 2014-15. The difference is that was a strong year for college basketball, and this coming season will be a weak one. Don't see who they're gonna lose to, but they're still coached by Sean Miller. If anyone can find a way to blow it, he can.

Last edited:
If any AU fans are reading this thread, can you break down their projected roster?

They're looking at Jackson-Cartwright at PG. Small, crafty, good set-up guy.

Trier and Alkins on the wings. Big, physical, versatile guards that can shoot and attack the rim.

Ayton and Ristic down low. Two very capable scorers and big bodies. Ristic isn't much of a rim protector, but Ayton can be with his size and athleticism.

Behind them they've got a handful of 4-star freshmen (Barcello is the backup PG, Brandon Randolph--a very good player at 2G, and Ira Lee, 6'8 combo forward) and Dylan Smith, a guard who scored like 13 a game for UNC Asheville as a freshman before transferring.

They're deep. And Ayton is a monster.

If Ayton gets to play, that's your national champion. In a down year, they'll have enough raw talent across the board to just out Jimmy and Joe everyone.
They had the Jimmies and Joes to win the West Region last year and somehow managed to lose to Xavier. So I won't be buying in just yet. Plus we are pretty stacked with talent across the board too, especially if we get either Diallo or Johnson.

Yeah, they're stacked like we were in 2014-15. The difference is that was a strong year, and this coming season will be a weak one. Don't see who they're gonna lose to, but they're still coached by Sean Miller. If anyone can find a way to blow it, he can.
Think of how sweaty he'll be every game...

Of course and we won in '15 too.

There's not near the level of competition this year. 15 had a very good Duke, Wisconsin, Notre Dame and even Arizona squads

If Izzo's group of returning freshmen don't make the leap and Jackson isn't a stud, no one else has the experience and horses to be on their level.

Could they go 0-40 from the field and lose? Of course. But I think it's assumed and understood that we're talking likely outcomes and probabilities here.

It also takes good talent to beat you on an off-night when you're as talented/experienced as Arizona will be, and there's not much of it out there next year.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
This is a make or break year for Miller. No excuse at all for this Arizona team not to make a deep run. Anything less than a FF would be a huge disappointment. If he wins a title then he has a chance to move up to the elite level of coaches.

They've gotta be preseason #1

When Cal leaves I'll only feel better if we get a guy like Miller. What does he do? He can get players. If he keeps getting players He'll eventually get to final 4. He may go on to blow it up after that. The guy is still young

If Ayton is eligible is really makes us look bad that we basically ignored him at the end of his recruitment after he expressed significant interest and went all in on Bamba. That being said normally when the staff backs off a prospect for concerns they are almost always right. Really fascinated to see if Ayton can get through the NCAA clearing house.

Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
They've gotta be preseason #1

When Cal leaves I'll only feel better if we get a guy like Miller. What does he do? He can get players. If he keeps getting players He'll eventually get to final 4. He may go on to blow it up after that. The guy is still young
Depends I would take UK if they get Diallo or Johnson over them and I would also take MSU over them mostly due to thier average coach.

Reactions: 1war
Yeah they are definitely going to be good next year. But Miller has a tendency to choke in the tournament. Still though if everything works out then it would be hard to choke with that lineup

Well, the good news is those who like to travel with the team during March can go ahead and make their plans. Unless we are a No. 1 seed, we'll be in the West region with Arizona.

Ayton is one of the 3 best prospects in high school or college. This guy, Akot, made a great move. I don't think even Miller can eff this up. We should be right there with them though.

Last year they were pretty bad defensively by Miller's standards. Narkannen could shoot but didn't play D and Ray Smith was hurt.

The Gordon/Hollis-Jefferson-Tarczewski-McConnell teams could defend but struggled to score. I think this is his best combination of both.

Alkins had a great combine I think he'll blow up.

Wichita St at #5
UL at #7
UK at #8

UL #7 on paper only. They won't be allowed to be in the tournament. They get way too much good press for what they've done like it wasn't a big deal.

Has Miller lost to lower seeds in his time? How long has it been since they've seen a F4? Seems like since '97.

UL #7 on paper only. They won't be allowed to be in the tournament. They get way too much good press for what they've done like it wasn't a big deal.

Has Miller lost to lower seeds in his time? How long has it been since they've seen a F4? Seems like since '97.
2001 I believe. They lost by a bucket each time in back to back elite 8's to Wisconsin. Bad luck for them. They also lost to UCONN in the Elite 8 by a bucket back when Derrick Williams blew up the tournament. So they've had 3 heart breaking Elite 8 losses under Miller.

They lost to Duke in the 01' championship. Gilbert Arenas, Richard Jefferson, Luke Walton team.

Reactions: KMKAT

Seems like Xavier would have been a lower seed.

Michigan St., KU, and Zona should be the heavy favorites.

MSU has the best combo of talent, depth, experience, and coaching. Probably have the best player in Bridges.

KU has great guards, but some depth issues inside.

Zona is weak at PG, IMHO, but very talented at every other spot. Ayton will be a beast.

ADVERTISEMENT