ADVERTISEMENT

Are there any jerky making people out there?

swflCAT

Junior
Apr 28, 2007
I have been making it in the oven for a few years and was wondering if anyone can tell me the minimum time/ condition to dry it. How much is enough?

I have been making it in the oven for a few years and was wondering if anyone can tell me the minimum time/ condition to dry it?
Sure, be glad to — 12 minutes at 375 F is the minimum time to dry/condition it.

71fd%2BWoGXqL._SX466_.jpg

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Wow, this may offend some's mentality.... but I really wasn't looking for jokes.... but I guess anyone that might know, probably wouldn't be here in the first place.

I would welcome an experts advice and would be glad to help an interested person get started.

Get a dehydrator. I started with a cheapo round one 10 yrs ago, after burning 2 up finally dropped the $ for a decent vertical rack. End result is much better than oven cooking.

The fun part is playing around with different marinades and seasonings.

Get a dehydrator. I started with a cheapo round one 10 yrs ago, after burning 2 up finally dropped the $ for a decent vertical rack. End result is much better than oven cooking.

The fun part is playing around with different marinades and seasonings.
I have been experimenting for a few years now and
20180607_215511.jpg
have been going this route, with 2 pans/ 2 lbs at time, usually about 4 hours, but wanting to go thicker and more tender, but don't know how much I have to do to stay safe. I am very limited in space but have thought about making a true type smoker to get real smoke flavor. I don't understand the vertical rack? is it this type
$_35.JPG

started with a dehydrator; way to effing slow. i do not want to wait for 1.5 days for all of it to be finished.

now i use the oven. 220F for 2 hours. then place it on a rack to cool off.

marinades are like fords and chevys; to each his own, but i tend to like it spicy!

Yeah that is similar to the one I have. Dehydrators are slow but that is what helps the beef get more tender and flavor infused. A dehydrator with a built in timer is absolute essential. The first 2 I had did not have a timer so I was in the same boat of spending 2 days to complete everything.
My routine is order from Publix, they will slice it for you, I usually get 5 lbs at a time. Pick up on the way home, mix whatever marinade I'm using for that batch then soak the meat in the marinade in 2 large rectangular Rubbermaid containers overnight. Throw on the dehydrator before I leave for the office and its done that afternoon. I usually do 150 degrees for 8 hrs.

ADVERTISEMENT