ADVERTISEMENT

Appreciating Coach Stoops

rucker4

Freshman
Dec 8, 2021
I'm offering my thoughts from far away- in Iowa. I'm an Iowa Hawkeye, not a Kentucky Wildcat; though I have great admiration for your program and for the entire Stoops family. Follow your program more than any other program after the great exchanges I had with so many fans here before last season's bowl game. Have chosen to keep following.

I realize the last two weeks has been really tough and sure seems like lots of you are already feeling some level of anger/disappointment in this season. Certainly as a fan you have every right to feel the way you want to feel. However, my perspective comes from what this year has been for the Iowa Hawkeyes. Nothing can feel worse than where we have sat this season so far-- and where we likely will sit the last half of the season. We have been 63-25 since 2015 entering this season but feels we are miles from that now. I'd MUCH rather trade places with Kentucky right now.

Believe it or not, with Coach Ferentz taking tons of heat currently, many believing he's seen his pinnacle and we are now on the downhill slide as he's age 67, the name more than any Iowa fans call for in thinking of a new HC is Mark Stoops-- an alum of Iowa. We have tremendous respect for him-- actually for all the Stoops boys since they all played for Iowa. Mark Stoops offers a grit and tenacity and frankly, for what he's done at UK, he's one hell of a coach and so highly respected here.

I know this and I know football: If Iowa could get Mark Stoops today I'd take him in a heartbeat. Now understand, that's not going to happen. I have told all my Iowa friends Mark Stoops won't be coming to Iowa at any point even though he'd likely be the first guy called when Iowa has an opening. He has built his own legacy at Kentucky and there's no reason to leave that; even if his alma mater comes calling.

Anyways, I am betting times get better in Lexington-- in fact, times there today are far better in football because of Mark Stoops than had he not been there. Mark is why expectations have gotten so high among all of you-- the man has done very well.

The best of luck Saturday at home vs. Mississippi State-- wouldn't be one bit surprised you win that game; not one bit surprised you win at Tennessee two weeks later. Keep the faith.

Last edited:
I'm offering my thoughts from far away- in Iowa. I'm an Iowa Hawkeye, not a Kentucky Wildcat; though I have great admiration for your program and for the entire Stoops family. Follow your program more than any other program after the great exchanges I had with so many fans here before last season's bowl game. Have chosen to keep following.

I realize the last two weeks has been really tough and sure seems like lots of you are already feeling some level of anger/disappointment in this season. Certainly as a fan you have every right to feel the way you want to feel. However, my perspective comes from what this year has been for the Iowa Hawkeyes. Nothing can feel worse than where we have sat this season so far-- and where we likely will sit the last half of the season. We have been 63-25 since 2015 entering this season but feels we are miles from that now. I'd MUCH rather trade places with Kentucky right now.

Believe it or not, with Coach Ferentz taking tons of heat currently, many believing he's seen his pinnacle and we are now on the downhill slide as he's age 67, the name more than any Iowa fans call for in thinking of a new HC is Mark Stoops-- an alum of Iowa. We have tremendous respect for him-- actually for all the Stoops boys since they all played for Iowa. Mark Stoops offers a grit and tenacity and frankly, for what he's done at UK, he's one hell of a coach and so highly respected here.

I know this and I know football: If Iowa could get Mark Stoops today I'd take him in a heartbeat. Now understand, that's not going to happen. I have told all my Iowa friends Mark Stoops won't be coming to Iowa at any point because he's built his own legacy at Kentucky and there's no reason to leave that; even if his alma mater comes calling.

Anyways, I am betting times get better in Lexington-- in fact, times there today are far better in football because of Mark Stoops than had he not been there. Mark is why expectations have gotten so high among all of you-- the man has done very well.

The best of luck Saturday at home vs. Mississippi State-- wouldn't be one bit surprised you win that game; not one bit surprised you win at Tennessee two weeks later. Keep the faith.
I wouldnt be surprised if this team wins out to finish 10-2, wins tie breakers over UT and UGA to secure the East, beats Bama in the SECC game to move to 11-2, gets a bid to the FF along with Ohio St., Clemson and Alabama. Beats Ohio St in Semis and then Bama again in Title game to finish 13-2 and on a nations best 9 gm winning streak and wins the National Title and peeps on this board will still bitch that Stoops isnt worthy of a statue!

I wouldnt be surprised if this team wins out to finish 10-2, wins tie breakers over UT and UGA to secure the East, beats Bama in the SECC game to move to 11-2, gets a bid to the FF along with Ohio St., Clemson and Alabama. Beats Ohio St snd then Bama again to finish 13-2 and win the National Title snd peeps on this board will still bitch that Stoops isnt worthy if a statue!
I remember following your board the first 2-3 years of Mark Stoops being there only because he was a former Hawkeye. I vividly remember how badly so many wanted him fired early on because things were plodding along in their minds. Thankfully they hung with him. All that he's achieved since has been incredible. He's been through hell there before and conquered and I too bet by year's end we see UK with at least 9 wins.

I wouldnt be surprised if this team wins out to finish 10-2, wins tie breakers over UT and UGA to secure the East, beats Bama in the SECC game to move to 11-2, gets a bid to the FF along with Ohio St., Clemson and Alabama. Beats Ohio St in Semis and then Bama again in Title game to finish 13-2 and on a nations best 9 gm winning streak and wins the National Title and peeps on this board will still bitch that Stoops isnt worthy of a statue!

That happened to me once on NCAA football 14 with UK. Good to see you are still playing that classic.

While I do not believe this will happen, it is possible that we win the East if UT loses to Bama and UK, and UGA loses to UT and UK, while we run the table.

I am not even convinced we will win Saturday. But, if Saturday goes completely in our favor, then I will definitely be excited again heading into the bye week.

I know this and I know football: If Iowa could get Mark Stoops today I'd take him in a heartbeat. Now understand, that's not going to happen. I have told all my Iowa friends Mark Stoops won't be coming to Iowa at any point even though he'd likely be the first guy called when Iowa has an opening. He has built his own legacy at Kentucky and there's no reason to leave that; even if his alma mater comes calling.

The 11th Commandment: Keep your paws off our coach!

The 11th Commandment: Keep your paws off our coach!
I have no doubt Stoops would be the first guy Iowa would call when Kirk is done (and hell that could be a few more years yet) but again, I suspect Mark is going to stay right where he is. I think he's going to be just like brother Bob-- he'd love coaching at the same place his entire career. That's what Ferentz will achieve at Iowa.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
When we played iowa I honestly didn't see anything wrong with the scheme or play calling. Just looked like a lack of talent and athleticism on that side. Struck me as more of a recruiting issue.

Jmo

Thank you OP.

As they say, "Fan is short for fanatic...." UK fans are no exception. When we win a couple, people talk about reaching new heights and competing for conference championships. Lose a couple and people cross over to the dark side.

In perspective, last yr we accomplished 10 wins........which was the 2nd time in a 4 year span.....and won 4 bowl games in a row. This yr Stoops passed the Bear to become the winningest coach in UK history.......and had us ranked in the top 10. So, if you take a breath and a step back, Stoops is doing just fine here. Do we all wish that we'd go undefeated every year? Absolutely.......but in perspective, he's doing well.

When we played iowa I honestly didn't see anything wrong with the scheme or play calling. Just looked like a lack of talent and athleticism on that side. Struck me as more of a recruiting issue.

Jmo
Believe it or not, the Kentucky game was one of Iowa's better offensive performances last season. This offense has been wretched for two years in a row. We currently rank DEAD LAST of 131 schools in total offense.

Are we super talented on offense? Absolutely not. Is our OL very young and inexperienced? Yes. But Iowa runs a very conservative offense and it's never been great-- only now it's the worst it's ever been. In the past Iowa's defense has been able to mask a putrid offense but that isn't working now. The blemishes have been exposed.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity

Classy post, as always. Iowa fans are all class, and you could tell the level of respect and love Stoops has for your school when we played Iowa last year.

I don't think stoops is leaving UK unless he starts to feel that he is losing support from the administration or (to a lesser extent) the fanbase.

I would never dismiss it as a possibility just b/c A) he loves your school and B ) it's easier to win in the BIG west than it is in the SEC. There is no reason that Iowa can't win the BIG west, while it remains a huge hill to climb for UK to win the SEC east (or whatever the SEC will. become when Texas and OU join the league). Hoping we keep him for the long haul though. Good luck the rest of the season.

Thank you OP.

As they say, "Fan is short for fanatic...." UK fans are no exception. When we win a couple, people talk about reaching new heights and competing for conference championships. Lose a couple and people cross over to the dark side.

In perspective, last yr we accomplished 10 wins........which was the 2nd time in a 4 year span.....and won 4 bowl games in a row. This yr Stoops passed the Bear to become the winningest coach in UK history.......and had us ranked in the top 10. So, if you take a breath and a step back, Stoops is doing just fine here. Do we all wish that we'd go undefeated every year? Absolutely.......but in perspective, he's doing well.
That is my point....Mark Stoops has done great at UK and he will continue to produce more great.

I wish UK fans would think of this:

Imagine if Kirk Ferentz leaves Iowa at the end of this year. And the very first call Iowa makes is to Mark Stoops. Would the majority of UK fans get really pissed and upset at that? I'd answer "yes". That needs to remind people the guy has done a great job.

Classy post, as always. Iowa fans are all class, and you could tell the level of respect and love Stoops has for your school when we played Iowa last year.

I don't think stoops is leaving UK unless he starts to feel that he is losing support from the administration or (to a lesser extent) the fanbase.

I would never dismiss it as a possibility just b/c A) he loves your school and B ) it's easier to win in the BIG west than it is in the SEC. There is no reason that Iowa can't win the BIG west, while it remains a huge hill to climb for UK to win the SEC east (or whatever the SEC will. become when Texas and OU join the league). Hoping we keep him for the long haul though. Good luck the rest of the season.
Always appreciate your classy posts backinky2018.

The current East and West divisions of the B1G conference are going away in 2024 when UCLA and USC enter the league-- though it's yet to be announced what it will look like......a three pod system has been rumored. The two teams with the best conference records will meet in the conference championship game has been rumored. The B1G isn't good at announcing plans in advance. Can you believe that the 2023 CONFERENCE SCHEDULE hasn't even been announced yet? #truestory

You are right...many things can change both here and with Stoops there by the time Iowa seeks a new HC.

I won't lie-- I'd love seeing Mark Stoops at Iowa for many reasons. However, if we can never get him I do hope he stays at Kentucky-- I really do. Honestly I love his older brother Bob and do wish, even partially think, he'd come out of retirement to coach his alma mater if given the chance.

Likewise, wishing UK nothing but the best the remainder of the season and do think you'll win 8 games bare minimum, and very likely 9. Doing that in the SEC is pretty freaking impressive.

I'd love seeing Mark Stoops at Iowa for many reasons.
Don't think you'll get Mark but seriously, what about Mike. He had some early success at Arizona, and then things went a bit south but I think he has potential to be a successful head coach again.

But in all honesty if I were Iowa coach hunting in say 5 years I would not go after any of the Stoops brothers because they will all be in the 60s by then. I would be looking for someone younger, maybe off the of the Stoops brother's tree.

Don't think you'll get Mark but seriously, what about Mike. He had some early success at Arizona, and then things went a bit south but I think he has potential to be a successful head coach again.

But in all honesty if I were Iowa coach hunting in say 5 years I would not go after any of the Stoops brothers because they will all be in the 60s by then. I would be looking for someone younger, maybe off the of the Stoops brother's tree.
Mike Stoops? LOL, hell no.

Mike Stoops will never again be a HC at the major college level.

His run at Arizona was bad-- and his hot head nature did not bode well as a leader of a program.

Iowa will have a new HC I now truly believe within 3 years tops. This year I feel is the beginning of a slide happening.

Actually, I'd love to take a run at Bob Stoops out of retirement. I think his loyalty to Iowa runs deeper than it does with either Mark or Mike.

His run at Arizona was bad-- and his hot head nature did not bode well as a leader of a program.

Iowa will have a new HC I now truly believe within 3 years tops. This year I feel is the beginning of a slide happening.

Actually, I'd love to take a run at Bob Stoops out of retirement. I think his loyalty to Iowa runs deeper than it does with either Mark or Mike.
If you guys could get Bob out of retirement I think he would be the best hire you could make! He is probably recharged enough that he would love the challenge and like you said - the Stoops family loves Iowa. Good luck the rest of the way and although many of us, including me are disappointed at the moment- we owe all of our disappointment to Coach Stoops bringing such a top notch operation to UK. We may cry today- but we will be cheering tomorrow. Other fans are starting to realize something that Kentucky fans have known for generations - we love Football just as much as basketball - unfortunately we didn't have the right people in the right places to make us grow and go! We can love both sports - we don't have to pick one over the other!

Go Big Blue!

Very kind words…..but…. UK has beaten UT 26 out of 117 contest against Tennessee. They even beat us when we are good and they are bad. Can we beat them? I don’t think the money line will be very good let’s put it that way

Reactions: rucker4

Is this serious? Mike Stoops was awful. No team control terrible play caller and was a disaster. Goodness defeense lol.

Iowa isn’t calling Mark Stoops. I don’t believe Mississippi State would hire stoops. For whatever reason the UK fit is the right one right now and that rarely happens.

The problem with Bob is he’s been out of it and the game have changed into something he wouldn’t even recognize. I think it seems like it would be the perfect fit and home run hire, but I think it’s deceiving.

Always appreciate your classy posts backinky2018.

Likewise, wishing UK nothing but the best the remainder of the season and do think you'll win 8 games bare minimum, and very likely 9. Doing that in the SEC is pretty freaking impressive.
Great original post, and follow up posts.

As to the thought of the difficulty of playing in the SEC, consider this recent event: Iowa had a good recruiting year in 2022, landing a 5 Star, and finishing 30th on Rivals.

Vandy finished last out of the 14 current, and 16 future SEC teams with a ranking of 35th.

When the SEC went on it's historic winning tear of National Championships from 1997, through 2010, I thought it might benefit all teams in recruiting.

And it has.

Great original post, and follow up posts.

As to the thought of the difficulty of playing in the SEC, consider this recent event: Iowa had a good recruiting year in 2022, landing a 5 Star, and finishing 30th on Rivals.

Vandy finished last out of the 14 current, and 16 future SEC teams with a ranking of 35th.

When the SEC went on it's historic winning tear of National Championships from 1997, through 2010, I thought it might benefit all teams in recruiting.

And it has.
Thanks. Actually, Iowa has another 5* for the '23 class already too and currently sits at #27.

I have great respect for the SEC. A high tide (SEC) raises all boats (the entire league).

Call me crazy, but this is why I loved it when we had Urban Meyer in the B1G at Ohio State-- he made the league better and even challenged all fellow conference coaches to recruit better. I'm hoping the addition of USC and UCLA in two years does the same for the league.

Reactions: The-Hack
The problem with Bob is he’s been out of it and the game have changed into something he wouldn’t even recognize. I think it seems like it would be the perfect fit and home run hire, but I think it’s deceiving.
You could be right on Bob, but as an Iowa booster, it's worth the gamble to me. His firepower and tenacity is needed now in Iowa City-- even if only on a 5-year plan with him grooming his replacement.

Iowa is a good job- starting with the fact we've had just two HCs in the past 44 years and have clearly been established during most of those years as a top 20-25 program. Stability rings deep. Like all places it has some disadvantages, but it's got many advantages also.

Is this serious? Mike Stoops was awful. No team control terrible play caller and was a disaster. Goodness defeense lol.

Iowa isn’t calling Mark Stoops. I don’t believe Mississippi State would hire stoops. For whatever reason the UK fit is the right one right now and that rarely happens.
Honestly the Iowa and Kentucky programs have many similarities.

Yes, the pressure will be on Iowa AD to place a call to Mark Stoops, I will tell you that for a fact. Will Mark come here? As I have stated, I'm certain it would be "no".

Mark Stoops is cut from the same piece of cloth as Iowa's Kirk Ferentz. Both rely mostly on stout defenses, both reply heavily on player development while on campus, and they never win pretty, but they win. Mark comes from a blue collar work ethic and why he was the perfect player at Iowa for Hayden Fry. He runs his program the same way. That's exactly what the right "fit" in Iowa City is--though again, no reason for Mark to leave Lexington.

If you guys could get Bob out of retirement I think he would be the best hire you could make! He is probably recharged enough that he would love the challenge and like you said - the Stoops family loves Iowa. Good luck the rest of the way and although many of us, including me are disappointed at the moment- we owe all of our disappointment to Coach Stoops bringing such a top notch operation to UK. We may cry today- but we will be cheering tomorrow. Other fans are starting to realize something that Kentucky fans have known for generations - we love Football just as much as basketball - unfortunately we didn't have the right people in the right places to make us grow and go! We can love both sports - we don't have to pick one over the other!

Go Big Blue!
Great post man!

Interesting about Bob Stoops-- so many times even while still coaching at OU he'd give his alum school a shout out and said it's a ritual every game morning at home his family would shout out the Iowa fight song (his wife is an Iowan and Iowa grad too). When he was in Iowa City last fall for Fox's Big Noon Kickoff he said he enjoyed himself as much as he had in a long time and it really showed. He still bleeds black and gold.

The biggest issue would be if HE wants to be the guy to replace Ferentz here-- as both are very close friends. If Kirk is escorted out one way or the other in the next year or two, I just don't think Bob would feel right about replacing him.

You're so right about Mark-- you may despise him a game or two a year that's lost that you think you should have won, but he makes you proud far more frequently.

The very best of luck the rest of the season. I predict at least an 8 or 9 win regular season in Lexington when the dust settles.

I'm not that familiar with the particulars but he took over an Arizona program that was a PAC12 bottom feeder and built the program into back to back 8 win seasons 2008 and 2009, 7 wins in 2010 and three straight bowl appearances which is amazing for a program like that. The following year got off to a bad start and was fired in mid season.

Just looking at the numbers I've seen successful coaches with a lot worse history than that but maybe you know more than I do about underlying issues and short comings.

I'm not that familiar with the particulars but he took over an Arizona program that was a PAC12 bottom feeder and built the program into back to back 8 win seasons 2008 and 2009, 7 wins in 2010 and three straight bowl appearances which is amazing for a program like that. The following year got off to a bad start and was fired in mid season.

Just looking at the numbers I've seen successful coaches with a lot worse history than that but maybe you know more than I do about underlying issues and short comings.
There was a lot more to his firing than just the numbers. He always provided a very bad look on the sidelines with his temper/hot head antics. Seemed very out of control; UA just got tired of his antics after awhile-- very similar to the same reason Herm Edwards was fired recently at Arizona State.

Remember, in a role reversal Mark was Mike's DC for a few years in Tucson.

You could be right on Bob, but as an Iowa booster, it's worth the gamble to me. His firepower and tenacity is needed now in Iowa City-- even if only on a 5-year plan with him grooming his replacement.

Iowa is a good job- starting with the fact we've had just two HCs in the past 44 years and have clearly been established during most of those years as a top 20-25 program. Stability rings deep. Like all places it has some disadvantages, but it's got many advantages also.

I can’t say that from the outside it wouldn’t be something you could turn down. If he was willing you just about have to roll those dice.

I can’t say that from the outside it wouldn’t be something you could turn down. If he was willing you just about have to roll those dice.
Agree, probably better odds Stoops would be willing to come here more than odds of Iowa calling Stoops. Iowa's AD is about as well liked as Kirk Ferentz is in Iowa currently.

Reactions: Gromcat

Anything is possible HH. But UK's OL play has to improve to expect to run the remaing 6 games. State, UGA, and UT all have good enough defensesfronts to make thinks difficult with the OL play at it's current level. It's been mentioned his injury is turf toe, very painful and slow to heal. People expecting him to just play through it don't realize how debilitating it is.

I appreciate what Mark Stoops has done at Kentucky, I just feel as though we have reached our peak for as far as he can take us. That doesn't mean I want him gone, he's earned the right to prove me wrong.

Reactions: Gromcat
I appreciate what Mark Stoops has done at Kentucky, I just feel as though we have reached our peak for as far as he can take us. That doesn't mean I want him gone, he's earned the right to prove me wrong.

I been posting regularly here a long time. CMS is the granddaddy of the East. Uf, UT and USC have struggled. UGAhas done well, but if Richt were still here, UK wins the east at least 2 times. Well things change moving up has gotten tougher, if you don't consider UT Jr a threat you aren't paying attention.

Reactions: Doodah859
I'd just appreciate what you have in Stoops. Here's the reality: Kentucky may never be Alabama or Georgia. Just continue to win 10 games a year with him as he's done and life will be grand.

Iowa is never going to be Ohio State or Michigan. But we need to at least continue to find a way to win out 9 games a year.

Wisconsin didn't fire Paul Chryst because they thought they'd find a guy who would win more than 65-70% of games like Chryst did. They fired him because they were fearful they were beginning to fall below that level and needed someone new to maintain that high level.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Hack

It’s also worth pointing out that even if he has reached a peak, his presence continues to erase UK’s terrible past brick by brick.

ADVERTISEMENT