ADVERTISEMENT

AP poll continues to punish Kentucky for winning

I don't have a problem with us dropping because we didn't beat anybody, and other teams did. But the question is, when these other teams beat nobodies, and we win some games against good competition, are they gonna move us back up? I think the short answer is NO. The problem isn't really the rankings, as most are right in that they don't matter that much. But it is much harder to climb than it is to fall, and at the end of the season, it could effect seeding, which is important. The problem for most is that we are being treated differently than a lot of other teams. What other teams have you seen drop after not losing? It's really not about where they rank us, but more about the rules that are being applied to arrive at these rankings.

1. Rankings don't really matter until the end of the regular season.
2. This team is trying to find it's identity, learn how to play college team defense and offense and is raw on most levels of play. The teams ahead of UK have experience and are playing much more solid team defense and offense at this time.
3. UK has won every game it was "supposed" to. The KU game was closer than most thought and showed that they are capable of playing on the big stage - potential is there and those kids can achieve whatever goal they set for themselves as a team.
4. The SEC will be a very tough path this year. They will be tested and ready for the tournament. Will be fun to watch them develop and mature.

Florida has only played 6 games and lost one of them. How do they get ranked so high? Because they had a lead on Duke before totally falling apart and playing like ass for the last 8 minutes?

Florida has only played 6 games and lost one of them. How do they get ranked so high? Because they had a lead on Duke before totally falling apart and playing like ass for the last 8 minutes?

They got a W against Gonzaga. I'm sure that helps.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Duke is a huge favorite I think bigger than the 15 Cats.. then way lower is MSU..then huge drop to the rest... UK is in this group . Meaning CBB is shit this year . In March this team will have a chance.Maybe someone will knock out kyhhgsffgski then its game on

Duke is a huge favorite I think bigger than the 15 Cats.. then way lower is MSU..then huge drop to the rest... UK is in this group . Meaning CBB is shit this year . In March this team will have a chance.Maybe someone will knock out kyhhgsffgski then its game on
Unfortunately, Duke looks like a handful. A lot can change between now and March, but as of Dec 4th, we're not even close to some of the teams I've watched so far this season.

It could effect seeding, which is important.

The rankings do not affect seeding. The committee has been clear on this that they are NOT part of the criteria considered, and their decisions have reflected that.

Every year the biggest mistake those upset with seedings make is people saying "we were ranked this, so why aren't we seeded that.." The answer is because the committee doesn't even look at the AP or UPI rankings.

These rankings really are just for show, something to talk about, and nothing more. They are meaningless in the end.

Lets be happy with that 8 ranking. There are at least 100 teams in the country that might beat us now, so let's enjoy what we have while we stay away from those 100.

Reactions: Poetax
I don’t believe rankings affect seeding st all.

It does if you are Kentucky.
ANYTHING can and WILL be used to rationalize the seeding against us. And I don't believe in alien abductions, Big Foot or pyramid power. But I have the most incredible excuses why Kentucky gets screwed by the seeding and venues by people who actually believe the lies they are telling.

This has been a great year for college basketball in terms of good early-season matchups. We chose not to be a part of that and feast on cupcakes.

You can argue all day long that it was the right approach for this team, but at the same time, when you don't show up to the party, don't be offended when you aren't part of the discussion. We haven't played anyone outside of KU, and we've only played a handful of decent halves all season, even against inferior competition. It's the type of schedule that we've mocked other teams for in the past (cough, Louisville, cough).

I don't know how anyone can actually make a straight-faced argument that we are even the 8th best team in the country at THIS point. If anything we should be thankful we're getting a "reputation" ranking so far.

This has been a great year for college basketball in terms of good early-season matchups. We chose not to be a part of that and feast on cupcakes.

You can argue all day long that it was the right approach for this team, but at the same time, when you don't show up to the party, don't be offended when you aren't part of the discussion. We haven't played anyone outside of KU, and we've only played a handful of decent halves all season, even against inferior competition. It's the type of schedule that we've mocked other teams for in the past (cough, Louisville, cough).

I don't know how anyone can actually make a straight-faced argument that we are even the 8th best team in the country at THIS point. If anything we should be thankful we're getting a "reputation" ranking so far.

But this is just a timing issue.

We do still have WVU, UCLA, UL, and Virginia Tech OOC

The same reason Mich. St. is ranked as the highest 1 loss team. A loss to the media darling Dukies is worth 2 top 25 wins for any other team.

Cal LOVES being able to play the "we get no respect" line to motivate his teams. Our young group needs anything Cal can use to make them pay attention.

So I hope we keep getting overlooked and the Pukies keep getting blown up.

Or it just might have to do with MSU having wins over UNC and Notre Dame. lol

18 point wins at that lol

I'm fine with #8. We have had a pretty soft schedule so far, if we're really being honest, and both KU and UK didn't look that great for high ranked teams. I'm all in on UK all the time but I also try to be honest about our team. We're just not all that good right now and have, luckily, gotten past a few games where we could have been beaten by inferior teams. Hopefully, by March, we will see great improvement and become a team that could make a run at the Final Four. That's all I'm hoping for at this early point in the season.

Reactions: 78Gooses
Rankings mean nothing this time of year[eyeroll]but, UK dropping too far in this manner will have them where they will never be able to rise high enough to garner a good seeding later on. Is that a plan...as subversive as it may be?

Reactions: awf and UKrazycat2
I don't have a problem with us dropping because we didn't beat anybody, and other teams did. But the question is, when these other teams beat nobodies, and we win some games against good competition, are they gonna move us back up? I think the short answer is NO. The problem isn't really the rankings, as most are right in that they don't matter that much. But it is much harder to climb than it is to fall, and at the end of the season, it could effect seeding, which is important. The problem for most is that we are being treated differently than a lot of other teams. What other teams have you seen drop after not losing? It's really not about where they rank us, but more about the rules that are being applied to arrive at these rankings.
Case in point: UNC beat Michigan, Davidson and Tulane since their last loss - yet jumped this week from 13 to 11.

Davidson and Tulane are suddenly tough competition, apparently, when it's someone in the ACC trying to get back into the top 10 (to offset the shocking 3 teams from the SEC!).

Kentucky, while not blowing teams out, still won their games since the KU loss relatively handily, yet we're either dropping or not moving.

Reactions: awf and UKrazycat2
There are legit times when the polls disrespect UK............. this is not one of those times. We are ranked well ahead of where we should be. I doubt we could win at home against top 15 teams right now

Reactions: kev69
We have no quality wins expect maybe Vermont.

Look VA Tech, UCLA, and Louisville are coming around, then of course half the SEC is strong. The schedule is about to get tough, you’ll be glad we had this mid major tour to prepare for it.

It would take an outstanding game on our part to beat WSU. Watched them beat Baylor the other night, and they're legit...they, along with A&M, may be the best team I've watched this year.
WSU has become our hitch like Itsh was in the 90s. Twice in the tourney the experts picked them to beat us and twice they failed.

The dookies tried to crap away 3 games this year and yes they won they are by no means a “huge favorite”.

Reactions: awf
People, of course ratings dont matter right now, but the point is here we go again. If we had Duke across our chest, all you'd hear is how they are the youngest team in the history of college basketball, while almost beating Kansas, and haven't allowed themselves to be knocked off before or since. They would be preping K for coach of the year.

Since we're UK, and not the beloved golden boy by the NCAA and media, it's "they don't have a star", "Cals having to zone", "not UK's finest team" etc..

And we fall in the polls after wins instead of rising after losses (Duke)

Couldn't be more obvious.

This. Rankings before conference play are anecdotal at best.

I disagree. Polls and rankings matter before conf. play and here's why.

We all know when the top teams start playing conf. road games they are going to start dropping some games. It also matters when u lose, and if other teams in the top 10 lose. So the higher u r ranked to start conf. play, the better off u will be come final rankings and seeding. We've seen this play out before...a couple spots in the rankings can mean the difference between a 2 or 3 or 4 seed.

Dook has been the poster child for using this strategy....play cupcakes in the preconf play, keep that high ranking, then when they start losing road games in acc, it doesn't hurt them, cause everyone else is losing some games too.

Reactions: bluebornwildcat
I disagree. Polls and rankings matter before conf. play and here's why.

We all know when the top teams start playing conf. road games they are going to start dropping some games. It also matters when u lose, and if other teams in the top 10 lose. So the higher u r ranked to start conf. play, the better off u will be come final rankings and seeding. We've seen this play out before...a couple spots in the rankings can mean the difference between a 2 or 3 or 4 seed.

Dook has been the poster child for using this strategy....play cupcakes in the preconf play, keep that high ranking, then when they start losing road games in acc, it doesn't hurt them, cause everyone else is losing some games too.
You make a lot of good points. I guess I'm becoming immune to being screwed over.

Reactions: howercat
There are times where u can say poll people screwed UK.

This is not one of those times lol

Maybe it's not one of those times they are intentionally screwing UK, like they do in March.

But can you honestly say if you swapped UK and Duke right now that Duke would have fallen multiple weeks after beating everyone but Kansas (barely lost) with the youngest team in the country?

Time to wake up, you're dreaming again.

Reactions: BBUK and catben
Maybe it's not one of those times they are intentionally screwing UK, like they do in March.

But can you honestly say if you swapped UK and Duke right now that Duke would have fallen multiple weeks after beating everyone but Kansas (barely lost) with the youngest team in the country?

Time to wake up, you're dreaming again.

We haven't beaten anyone of note while others have. And we haven't looked good at all even in wins. Most people would agree here.

The conspiracy people are a trip here. Always paranoid about bias and Duke lol

We haven't beaten anyone of note while others have. And we haven't looked good at all even in wins. Most people would agree here.

The conspiracy people are a trip here. Always paranoid about bias and Duke lol

So you think if Duke was swapped the rankings would be the same?

The smartest move in history, we could have been like AZ and lose 3 straight, that would’t have helped.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT