ADVERTISEMENT

AP poll continues to punish Kentucky for winning

Means diddly to me.

UK needs to avoid bad losses, which they have so far, and UK will get plenty of chances to show its worth the rest of the year. The SEC will actually help UK this year, so we shouldn't (though you never know, since they seem to go out of their way to screw UK) have to worry about getting pushed down a line or 2 in seeding because the conference was so weak.

OP, I'd be more sympathetic with your view if we were beating real competition, instead of sleepwalking through low-mid majors with uninspired performances.

I've seen nothing to make me think we should be any higher than 8 right now. We've only played one genuinely good team (Kansas) and lost that game. You don't earn respect by beating nobodies.

Last edited:
Crazy seeing two other sec teams in the top 10.

January will really show us what type of team we have: roads games @ Tenn, S Car, WVU + home games vs Tex AM and UF. That's going be a tough month of games.

Not saying #8 is an unfair ranking. Just think it is silly that Kentucky has dropped three spots from their preseason ranking with one lone loss to the #2 team in the country. By 4 points.

If Duke or UNC or KU had the SAME resume and ranking, we would be questioning why they were ranked as high at they are. It is okay to be biased for our team but a little bit or realism doesn't hurt.

Looking at the teams ahead of us, the only one I would feel like we could beat at a neutral site game would be Wichita State. So I think they have us right about where we should be.

If we would have looked stronger in these early games we would not be getting shorted from the voters .. how you look in wins does matter . And it matters even NOW . The NCAA folks can use as an excuse when seeding comes around . And seeding is hugely important .

Not saying #8 is an unfair ranking. Just think it is silly that Kentucky has dropped three spots from their preseason ranking with one lone loss to the #2 team in the country. By 4 points.
Did teams ranked behind us beat better quality teams this week? Don’t put Popcorn St after Popcorn St on the schedule.

Reactions: UK90

You're not paying attention to the reason we've dropped. For example, you know why A & M jumped us? Because they beat a Top 10 team. We've not done anything like that yet.

They're not punishing us for winning, instead they're punishing us for not beating anyone who means anything. Our schedule so far has been ridiculously soft. Easy home games against the likes of Fort Wayne, Troy and UIC tell the poll voters nothing.

Reactions: Apoxie
I love it. I feel we've had too many teams that were hyped too hard and over ranked. With the media today, there's no way these kids don't buy the hype, at least to a degree. I like that we're seemingly sliding in under the radar this year, because I don't care if KENTUCKY KENTUCKY KENTUCKY is the story between December - February... I want Kentucky to be the story in March (and April!)

Reactions: Poetax
6 minimum losses, 11 max losses. So don't go crazy BBN. They'll be fine & surprising by March.

Looking at the teams ahead of us, the only one I would feel like we could beat at a neutral site game would be Wichita State. So I think they have us right about where we should be.
It would take an outstanding game on our part to beat WSU. Watched them beat Baylor the other night, and they're legit...they, along with A&M, may be the best team I've watched this year.

Who cares, there's 64 teams in the tournament and you have to win 6 games. In basketball, rankings mean nothing. I don't even look anymore.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Polls are useless in December, but, we not played anybody but KU and lost that.

Polls not only don’t mean anything in December, they don’t mean anything, ever.

That being said the polls are being generous to us to have us as the 8th best team in the country based on what we’ve seen to this point.

Reactions: UK90
It's not about whether we can handle it or if it's a big deal. The fact remains you usually don't drop a spot after winning 5 in a row. You think Duke would drop if they beat a bunch of sub-par teams?

I’m ok with this.

It shouldn’t just be wins losses.

Outside of Kansas, these games whether we’d win or not wasn’t a question.

But if you should beat a team by 20 and only win by 10 you should absolutely be dinged for that. Because you’ve underperformed based on your previous ranking.

The same is happening in computer models as well. We are down to 13th now in KP. And it’s simply cause we haven’t beaten teams by how much we should given the two teams ranking.

It’s ok tho. Cause we all know come March we’ll be much better.

As far as would this happen if it was another team like Duke. Maybe. Maybe not.

Human polls are bias.

If u want a better measure of how teams really are look at something more objective.

ADVERTISEMENT