ADVERTISEMENT

AP poll (12/11)

I guess UNC's loss to MSU is better than our loss to 2-loss Kansas.

Still, UNC being unable to put up 50 points on MSU is pretty awful. And why can't pollsters look at our early November loss and be like "Well, it's really effing early to be judging Kentucky on a loss to a top3 team..".

Where's that type of judgement and critical thinking?

I guess UNC's loss to MSU is better than our loss to 2-loss Kansas.

Still, UNC being unable to put up 50 points on MSU is pretty awful. And why can't pollsters look at our early November loss and be like "Well, it's really effing early to be judging Kentucky on a loss to a top3 team..".

Where's that type of judgement and critical thinking?

To be fair their wins vs Arkansas and Michigan are better than ours vs Vermont.

Actually their wins vs Davidson, Bucknell and Northern Iowa are also comparable to Vermont.

What I like to do is take the predictions on any computer ranking website and judge that way.

So for example if given our talent and say Vermont's talent we were supposed to win a game by 20 and only won by 10 and this consistently happens in each game we play one of three things is going on 1) maybe we are ranked too high, 2) maybe our opponent is ranked too low or 3) both.

With the exception of a few games this season (thinking Kansas and Fort Wayne maybe), we've consistency underperformed which is why in computer rankings we've moved down a little bit (14th in KP right now).

Honest assessment of where I think we are at? Maybe 10-20 range. I think that's fair.

I'm good with it. I still think we're ranked too high, but I'll take it.

Besides, polls, RPI and other metrics like KenPom are worthless until mid-January anyway.

To be fair , which 15-20 teams do you think should be ranked ahead of us and why?

1. Nova-- (10-0 with wins over Gonzaga and Tenn)
2. MSU-- (9-1 with wins of UConn, ND, and UNC)
3. WSU --(8-1 with wins over Baylor, OK St, and Marquette)
4. Duke --(11-1 with wins against Texas, UF, and MSU)
5. ASU-- (9-0 with a win @ KU and against Xavier)
6. Miami-- (8-0 with a win over Minny)
7. TAMU --(8-1) with wins over WVU, USC, Penn St. , and OK St)
8. Xavier --(9-1 with wins over Baylor, CO, Cincy)
9. WVU --(9-1 with wins Mizzou, UVA and Pitt)
10. Zags-- (8-2 with wins over OSU, Washington, Creighton and Texas)
11. Seton hall-- (9-1 with win over UL and Texas Tech)
12. Florida State-- (9-0 and win @ UF)
13. TCU --(10-0 and win against SMU is better win than we have)
14. Kansas- (7-2 with wins over UK and Syracuse)

15. UK....... 8-1 with best win over 6-4 Vermont.

If we can win our next 3 games then we would of earned a top 10 ranking IMO but right now we havent.... or maybe if we had smoked the mid majors we had played and looked impressive but we didnt do that either.

P.S. there are several teams you can debate over UK also like Tenn, Purdue....... etc... but I'll stop with us at #15

Kentucky should not be jumped regardless of where anyone thinks they should be ranked.

The Cats keep winning and improving, the teams that jumped us didn't beat anyone significant.

Our only loss was early, starting 5 Freshman, we have obviously improved and beat everyone since. This team would beat Kansas by 10 right now in a rematch.

No. This team isn't 10 points better than KU on a neutral floor.

Not right now and probably not in March either.

We will however, be better than them. Just not by 10 points.

As far as the ranking, who cares if it is high? Is UK really the 8th best team in the nation right now? Probably not. But like bracketology, it means nothing at this point. I can’t see why any true UK fan would bitch about the team being ranked higher than maybe they deserve. What I do know is this team is really improving and should be ranked higher than 8th by the end of the year. And I wish the trolls would move on from the lame schedule crap. It’s the same exact schedule all the tops teams play.

Honestly, I'd put us about 12-15ish. We are not the 8th, best team in the nation. ...but we'll get there.

That's kind of where I am too. I really like our team and all the guys on it but I just don't see us as one of the top ten teams in the country right at the moment. Plus, we really haven't beaten anyone at all to justify getting many of the high votes of the people voting in these polls. I do think we can get up into that level by March, and sure hope so, but we have a lot of work to do in order to get there. We'll just have to see how it goes and whether the guys and the coaching staff can make it work by time for Madness. I also seeing us taking a number of losses in the SEC this year as the conference is looking pretty tough at this early point in the season. We'll, no doubt, have many jumping off bridges on this board if we start losing games come conference time but I do expect some losses to be there this year.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Kentucky should not be jumped regardless of where anyone thinks they should be ranked.

The Cats keep winning and improving, the teams that jumped us didn't beat anyone significant.

Our only loss was early, starting 5 Freshman, we have obviously improved and beat everyone since. This team would beat Kansas by 10 right now in a rematch.

UK didn't even beat Harvard by 10 at Rupp Arena. That game wasn't early, it was just last week.

Reactions: JFCats22
UK stays at #8...gets jumped by several teams.

Their pathetic schedule is hurting them in the (meaningless) rankings.

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll/2018/6

You need to look at the voters to know our rankings. Lot of voters voted us pretty high and some voted us in the teens. That killed our total points.

I'd rather play a softer schedule while having a bunch of fresh faces who are just now learning to play together vs throwing them into the fire by scheduling UNC, Duke, Villanovan, KU right off the bat. All your going to do is pile up losses.

It's somewhat alarming that we turn it over nearly 25% of our possessions against a monmouth team that ranks 300th in forcing turnovers.

This needs fixed before the WVU game or we might break the record on turnovers lol

Pretty much all of the turnovers we not forced so it did not matter it was only Monmouth..

The turnovers overs are fixable. Not that bad of a problem to have.

Pretty much all of the turnovers we not forced so it did not matter it was only Monmouth..

The turnovers overs are fixable. Not that bad of a problem to have.

I agree but we are 9 games into the season. It's about time it gets fixed lol

If we played a past years type schedule, we might not be in the top 25. Think of it as a boot camp type schedule. Front line is just ahead . Watch out for land mines.

Beg to differ, this team has 5 players on the floor at all times. We no longer have only two scorers, we score from all spots of the floor. Our defense is way better than it was last yr, better than it has been past two years.
But, that can never happen, only in simulation. Our fans like the rest of the college basketball world will learn that we are looking at a final four team

To be fair their wins vs Arkansas and Michigan are better than ours vs Vermont.

Actually their wins vs Davidson, Bucknell and Northern Iowa are also comparable to Vermont.

Early in the season like this, polls can't be, shouldn't be, and I don't think are, completely about who you've beaten or lost to. They are also about perceived expectations. Had the 14-15 team had this same schedule and same outcomes, they would be right where Duke is now. But we are not expected to be as good as that team was. Point it, you can't just look at who we've played ONLY 9 games into the season.
We have more talent, more pieces, than UNC. There is no reason for them to be ahead of us.

Early in the season like this, polls can't be, shouldn't be, and I don't think are, completely about who you've beaten or lost to. They are also about perceived expectations. Had the 14-15 team had this same schedule and same outcomes, they would be right where Duke is now. But we are not expected to be as good as that team was. Point it, you can't just look at who we've played ONLY 9 games into the season.
We have more talent, more pieces, than UNC. There is no reason for them to be ahead of us.

I agree that they shouldn't be but disagree that they aren't.

How many times do we see teams just move up or down based on a week's worth of games (a grand total of TWO most weeks)?

The AP and coaches poll are largely based off what teams did in previous games.

This is the very reason why pre-season polls are actually more reflective of tournament success compared to end of the season. In the preseason, they do exactly what you describe. It's based on expectation. During the season, they let small samples affect things. Recent weeks are weighed entirely more than the season as a whole as they should be.

We do have more talent. But they have played better up to this point against better competition. I have no issues if they wanna put UNC ahead of us. The humans and computers both agree.

ADVERTISEMENT