ADVERTISEMENT

AP poll (12/11)

They’re being generous. Kansas is horrible and they beat us, we’ve had narrow victory margins over atrocious teams, we turn the ball over 20 times a game against weak defenses, we’re the youngest varsity team in D1 history, and we have a bunch of injuries.

I have been enjoying the season and our progress, but I genuinely do not think we’re the 8th best team in the country right now. I think we have the potential to be the #1 team in the country in early April, but Cal is going to have to turn in a legendary coaching performance, and guys are gonna have to get healthy.

Wichita State jumping Duke surprised me

They're a good team though. I definitely could see them in the Final Four

I have to agree that the polls suck.

I don't know who is best; however, I would like to get to see the Cats play Villanova home and home. Geezeus.

That would be a nice one to fill the void left by the home-&-home w/ UNCheat.
The Northeast is a big recruiting pool, and they are easily the class of NE schools.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
We can hate on the schedule all we want, but it's the right schedule for this team.
If UK played in the PK80 or played a schedule like aTm or the like, UK would have 4, maybe 5 losses right now, so keep that in mind while you're trashing the schedule.
Could you imagine this place if UK had 5 losses at this stage of the season? Yikes.

Not really sure why anyone would argue that we should be ranked higher. It's fair, even more than fair at this point.

I think we are right where we need to be. If we beat VT and UCLA and UofL without any hiccups then maybe we can talk about being a little higher (maybe even Top 5). I tell you what, if they can cut back on the turnovers? There’s no argument this team shouldn’t be in the Top 5.

If we can get the TOs under control and tighten up the perimeter D just a hair, I don’t see why they aren’t a Top 5 contender.

I think we are right where we need to be. If we beat VT and UCLA and UofL without any hiccups then maybe we can talk about being a little higher (maybe even Top 5). I tell you what, if they can cut back on the turnovers? There’s no argument this team shouldn’t be in the Top 5.

If we can get the TOs under control and tighten up the perimeter D just a hair, I don’t see why they aren’t a Top 5 contender.

It's somewhat alarming that we turn it over nearly 25% of our possessions against a monmouth team that ranks 300th in forcing turnovers.

This needs fixed before the WVU game or we might break the record on turnovers lol

It's somewhat alarming that we turn it over nearly 25% of our possessions against a monmouth team that ranks 300th in forcing turnovers.

This needs fixed before the WVU game or we might break the record on turnovers lol

We are just a sloppy ball handling team right now. We only balance that out by being just as aggressive on D and forcing TOs. SGA is a a TO forcing machine.

I like where we are at, these TOs are just causing unnecessary heartache right now.

A lot of our turnover problems are effort based. Our guys knew they were playing a high school team last Saturday and played like they had the game won in the second half.
We better get while the getting is good right now, because conference play is coming and this team is going to lose most, if not all if their road games early.
We laugh at Duke for losing at lowly Boston College, but our guys are going to be in tgat same position very soon. I hope they perform better than Duke did.
The SEC is for real this year, which makes it even more difficult.

We are just a sloppy ball handling team right now. We only balance that out by being just as aggressive on D and forcing TOs. SGA is a a TO forcing machine.

I like where we are at, these TOs are just causing unnecessary heartache right now.

The positive thing is you can see this issue with other Cal teams in the beginning of seasons but it eventually gets fixed. The 2010 team had turnover issues in the beginning of the season as well.

Given that Cal's already talked about it, this will probably get corrected at some point.

It's unfornate about SGA because although he forces turnovers, he's also committing turnovers at a high rate. PJ too.

Which St, really? 3? Don't get that ranking being so high. I guess we are lucky for not dropping any spots, but according to this board we haven't played anyone at all. Our last to KS is now compounded due to their losses to Washington and ASU.
Wichita will end up being playing us a third time in the tourney, with sh$thead Higgins, not dude on Magnum, reffing in Kansas City.
Mark my word

I agree.
If our turnovers were average we would be blowing the doors off these teams.
Cal has patched up the rebounding issues we had earlier, but he has his work cut out for him on the turnover problem.

Road games are tough.

I could easily see us being like 2011 team and losing a bunch of close road games in conference.

That being said, that team also put it together at the end and made a final four.

We can hate on the schedule all we want, but it's the right schedule for this team.
If UK played in the PK80 or played a schedule like aTm or the like, UK would have 4, maybe 5 losses right now, so keep that in mind while you're trashing the schedule.
Could you imagine this place if UK had 5 losses at this stage of the season? Yikes.

I would much rather have 5 losses than use the schedule to hide from the average team. If we're afraid to play against teams then it's time to pack it up.

Rankings from voters are a combination of what you've done, and what you are expected to do going forward.
The first few weeks of the season, votes are probably based more on what you are expected to do; and in Feb & Mar they are based almost entirely on what you've done.

Based on who we've played, AND how we performed against them, #8 might be generous. But I think voters also acknowledge our youth, and how Cal's teams improve more than most from Nov to March.
In the next 3 weeks we will be adding games vs Va Tech, UCLA, UL and Georgia. At that point voters will have a better idea where to place us. Those are not only all winnable games, but we will be favored in at least 3 of the 4, probably all 4. At that point 12-1 will look pretty good, even 11-2 won't look bad.
My prediction for Jan 1:
win all 4, be 12-1, be ranked #5 (40% chance)
win 3 of 4, be 11-2, be ranked #11 (45% chance)
win 2 of 4, be 10-3, be ranked #20 (10% chance)
win <2 of 4, not ranked (5% chance)
I'm happy with an 85% chance at being ranked in the top 11 after Dec w/ this young team (as long as we are seeing progress).

I would much rather have 5 losses than use the schedule to hide from the average team. If we're afraid to play against teams then it's time to pack it up.
You are in the minority.
We are the youngest team, possibly in the history of CBB and you want them to play a gauntlet before they get to a strong SEC schedule with Louisville, @ West Virginia, Va Tech and UCLA?
You're flirting with missing the NCAAT with that thought process.
So what, UK has a season in which they aren't playing a top 10 pre conference SOS, doesn't mean Cal is hiding his team, to me, it means he's trying to bring the team along at a reasonable pace.

it has very little to do with cupcakes (most teams are playing cupcakes)
what it does have to do with is the fact we have not been blowing those cupcakes out

at the end of the year these early polls mean nothing

Get far enough down and state this again in March...

ADVERTISEMENT