ADVERTISEMENT

AP disrespects UK with lone vote

I feel this team has to win out to get back in the top 25. Losing to KU was a killer in that regard.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Just got to keep winning and it should take care of it’s self. We just have one good win.

Last edited:
Nah. Win both this week and we should be. If not, flip the media a bird.
Just don’t see it. Arky isn’t what they were to start the season and UGA won’t move the needle. Just keep winning though.

USC jr was the killer, not KU
No doubt, but if we beat KU that would’ve been 7 straight wins (with two vs the top 10) since the S Car loss. That would’ve got us a lot more votes.

Reactions: SophiesDad
I feel this team has to win out to get back in the top 25. Losing to KU was a killer in that regard.
I don't know about that.

Losing to a top 10 team, albeit at home, but not just a top 10 team, but one with it's back against the wall (after 3 straight losses) and hearing all week that Self had never lost 4 in a row, is NOT "a killer".
USC loss was "a KILLER"! Not KU loss.
I would say any loss before the SEC-T, except maybe UT at home or at Arkansas, is more of a killer than losing to KU at home.

So I agree that we don't deserve the top 25 yet. But I would say a couple more wins, especially the way top 25 teams have been losing, and then we should get in (well before the SEC-T). I mean, 2 more would mean won 8 of past 9 games, with a home loss to a top 10 team AND a ROAD win vs a top 5 team, and that we took care of business in the other 7 games.

It's been quite some time since I've worried about rankings.... I just don't think we deserve to be ranked. Or maybe it's just that we have been so inconsistent that it doesn't make sense to rank us.

With that said, I looked at the AP top-25 for the first time in weeks and it's actually quite shocking to see the teams ranked in there. Several teams in the 6, 7, 8-loss range. I'm not sure what the basis for ranking Indiana would be that wouldn't also apply to Kentucky. I guess the one advantage they have is that they beat a few teams when they were ranked really high. UNC was ranked #15 (they are now 15-8 and unranked). Wisconsin was #19 (They are now 13-9 and unranked). They do have a win against Purdue (at home) while we have a win against Tennessee (on the road).

At the end of the day.... who cares. We aren't good enough in the eyes of the voters. And really I don't have a whole lot of confidence going into any game. But if we can go on a bit of a run, the rankings will take care of themselves.

If we could go 3-1 in these next 4 games with 1 of those wins being @ home to Tennessee, we would all take that.

I rely on the ol’ eyeball test. And my eyes tell me that we don’t deserve to be ranked.

Reactions: ck-2
I just looked at how we compare to some of the ranked teams. Not really that different, no more than 2 more wins (including one over 30 Ark) can't overcome.

Top 25 Resumes

AP 18 Indiana 16-7. Lost 3 in a row, 5 of 7 earlier in season, but have won 6 of 7 including over 4 Purdue as well vs 26 & 41 & 45.

AP23 Creighton, 15-8. Lost 6 in a row, including to 67 Ariz St, 86 BYU, & 96 Nebraska. Their best wins since NOV are vs 24 Xavier & 36 Providence.

AP20 Providence, 17-6. Lost 3 of last 5. Only top 50 wins on the season are 7 UConn, and 14 Marquette.

AP24 Rutgers 16-7Lost to 117 Temple. Beat 4 Purdue, 22, 28, 41 & 45.

Kentucky 16-7, winner of 6 of 7. Including wins over 2 UT, 40 & 43.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
It's been quite some time since I've worried about rankings.... I just don't think we deserve to be ranked. Or maybe it's just that we have been so inconsistent that it doesn't make sense to rank us.

With that said, I looked at the AP top-25 for the first time in weeks and it's actually quite shocking to see the teams ranked in there. Several teams in the 6, 7, 8-loss range. I'm not sure what the basis for ranking Indiana would be that wouldn't also apply to Kentucky. I guess the one advantage they have is that they beat a few teams when they were ranked really high. UNC was ranked #15 (they are now 15-8 and unranked). Wisconsin was #19 (They are now 13-9 and unranked). They do have a win against Purdue (at home) while we have a win against Tennessee (on the road).

At the end of the day.... who cares. We aren't good enough in the eyes of the voters. And really I don't have a whole lot of confidence going into any game. But if we can go on a bit of a run, the rankings will take care of themselves.
They’re ranked because they have multiple quad 1 victories…don’t forget they also beat Xavier at the Cintas Center….

Reactions: gossie21
They don't trust our coaching staff to get UK anywhere. Also, the SEC is weak.

Rankings don't mean anything. But obviously the South Carolina game is killing us on most fronts.

They’re ranked because they have multiple quad 1 victories…don’t forget they also beat Xavier at the Cintas Center….
Fair enough. The Quad-1 wins (or lack thereof) really hurts this team. We lose nearly every time we play a team with a pulse outside of Rupp.

Reactions: Wildcat1997
Rankings don't mean anything. But obviously the South Carolina game is killing us on most fronts.
Are you sure? The NCAAT Selection Committee has to go by something right?
Well we have been told its primarily the NET but you can bet they use the AP, KP and Sagarin as well.

As the games go by recently, I don't think a win over Kansas would have been as impactful as the USC loss.
Why? If we were at full strength sure. Maybe just one starter out ok fine. But not only 2 players out but our 2 best not named Oscar.
That L will end up costing UK 3 seed lines and that is absolutely criminal!

Why? If we were at full strength sure. Maybe just one starter out ok fine. But not only 2 players out but our 2 best not named Oscar.
That L will end up costing UK 3 seed lines and that is absolutely criminal!
That one game took them from a 3 seed all the way down near the bubble?? Wow! Huge game huh?!

Reactions: CatPatrick13
I just looked at how we compare to some of the ranked teams. Not really that different, no more than 2 more wins (including one over 30 Ark) can't overcome.

Top 25 Resumes

AP 18 Indiana 16-7. Lost 3 in a row, 5 of 7 earlier in season, but have won 6 of 7 including over 4 Purdue as well vs 26 & 41 & 45.

AP23 Creighton, 15-8. Lost 6 in a row, including to 67 Ariz St, 86 BYU, & 96 Nebraska. Their best wins since NOV are vs 24 Xavier & 36 Providence.

AP20 Providence, 17-6. Lost 3 of last 5. Only top 50 wins on the season are 7 UConn, and 14 Marquette.

AP24 Rutgers 16-7Lost to 117 Temple. Beat 4 Purdue, 22, 28, 41 & 45.

Kentucky 16-7, winner of 6 of 7. Including wins over 2 UT, 40 & 43.

Agree. A 7-loss UK team should be equivalent, if not better, than any Big East or ACC team with a similar W-L record. I get the B10 and B12 teams, but not the BE or ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT