ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone want to talk about the Iowa game?

Nov 1, 2015
Obviously going to be a defensive field position battle.

I know you guys had momentum coming into the season and things didn't work out as expected. I was really impressed by UK after getting to know more about them from last years Bowl matchup and was pulling for you guys in the SEC this year. I think Mark Stoops is a good coach and comes from a great football family (and of course, love his alma mater ;-)).

How will it play out? I know Iowa will be motivated based on the terrible loss they suffered to Nebraska. The D especially will be fired up with Jack Campbell and Riley Moss and the rest of the seniors. Special teams and turnovers will probably dictate the outcome. Thoughts?

UK has the talent at receiver to break some big plays even without our top QB. Yards after catch for UK will be the stat to watch. D line needs to win at line if scrimmage and UK has a chance.

Watch for Iowa's #3 (DeJean). He plays corner. Probably Iowa's next All American ... he needs to have a big day returning kicks and maybe getting a pick. Kid is fun to watch. He was the kid who caught the UK receiver on the big play which setup the game winning TD (knocked him out of bounds inside the 10, maybe even 5 yard line).

Iowa's kicker and punter have been very good this year (lots of work lol). Iowa may have an advantage there, we'll see.

Iowa's RBs are good, the freshman #2 (Johnson) looks to be one of the better backs we have had for a while.

Iowa's D doesn't normally give up many big plays, so if UK can patiently work it down the field, that would be the key. If you try to get greedy Iowa can get interceptions.

UK's OL last year was really good ... super impressed with them. I see that the OL has been rebuilt (good for us ;-)).

Expecting a good close game TBH. It will be good to see what the young QBs and WRs can do.

I won’t be surprised if Iowa’s defense scores more than their offense. Iowa has always been able to capitalize off turnovers.

The Ausie punter is good. Our punter is ok, but long snapping the ball is an adventure.

We were missing Dare Rosenthal at LT, slid a guard over, and surrendered 8 sacks in the Citrus Bowl.

It was a preview of the 2022 season for us.

The last couple of games, we did better.
I watched a couple games on youtube leading up to the Citrus which maybe I was remembering when I made the OL comment ;-)

Whoever the Iowa QB is, expected to be Labas, he will be playing in his very first college football game ever!

Reactions: Girthang
Yeah same here Rucker. Word is we may be starting a true frosh there who hasnt played a down, then rotating the other two backups one of which is Hogan of course. The Frosh Wade is dual threat type so expect our fill in playcallers to try to use his feet a lot.

Our defense is going to have to show motivated to keep us in the game I think.

This bowl game may surprise us with some offense. Both teams will probably play loose and just have fun. We will see.

Reactions: mattrudd
This bowl game may surprise us with some offense. Both teams will probably play loose and just have fun. We will see.

It will definitely surprise me.

Kentucky will start for sure four freshmen on offense (Key, Brown, Burton and the QB) plus a 5th will play a lot, Josh Kattus at TE. Given our struggles on offense to begin with, does not fill me with a lot of hope that we will move the ball a lot against a top drawer defense like Iowa.

OTOH, Iowa has had a terrible offense all year long, and has lost its top 2 QBs and a lot of WRs (if I read the internet correctly), so it may be a long day for them as well.

Defensive scores or big plays will most likely be the difference, plus special teams.

OTOH, Iowa has had a terrible offense all year long, and has lost its top 2 QBs and a lot of WRs (if I read the internet correctly), so it may be a long day for them as well.
We lost #10 (Bruce) to the portal, the only WR that played significant time this year. #6 (Johnson) was supposed to be our #1 but he was injured or just saving himself (only played limited snaps in 2 games) and he moved on. Charlie Jones left after spring ball and had a great year with Purdue (but they are a pass happy offense so he wanted to highlight his WR skills, personal choice and probably smart move by him - he is/was a great return man for Iowa more so than WR). So the net is, we didn't lose too many guys who actually played this year, but we did lose a lot from last years team with regard to WRs.

We lost #10 (Bruce) to the portal, the only WR that played significant time this year. #6 (Johnson) was supposed to be our #1 but he was injured or just saving himself (only played limited snaps in 2 games) and he moved on. Charlie Jones left after spring ball and had a great year with Purdue (but they are a pass happy offense so he wanted to highlight his WR skills, personal choice and probably smart move by him - he is/was a great return man for Iowa more so than WR). So the net is, we didn't lose too many guys who actually played this year, but we did lose a lot from last years team with regard to WRs.
How do you see the game playing out? Everyone seem to think it will be 3 yards and a clump of mud but I think it will be a bit different. I believe it will take 20 points to win it. I think both teams will turn it over (maybe twice)

Isn’t he the Hawk that did a little end zone dance after scoring in the Citrus, last time?
TBH I don't recall that lol, we didn't score that much so I should remember. LaPorta's long run (#84) was the best play of the game for us. It was a great game though, glad to see Iowa playing well after the bad showing against Michigan.

I like UKs program under Stoops, I was pulling for you this year!

How do you see the game playing out? Everyone seem to think it will be 3 yards and a clump of mud but I think it will be a bit different. I believe it will take 20 points to win it. I think both teams will turn it over (maybe twice)
I am pretty confident Iowa will play well ... including an improvement on offense (baby steps though). I think they will try some QB runs and lots of roll outs with Labas keeping on the move. I think the O will muster 10-13 points perhaps. Need to be able to move the chains and not turn the ball over, try to win the field position game. #2 (Johnson) is our best back and has some talent. I think Labas will probably give up at least 1 turnover though.

I think the Iowa D will be really clicking with #31 leading the way (Campbell - Butkus winner) as it is his last game as a Hawkeye. As I said before #3 (DeJean) is really a special player (true sophomore). I think he may take a punt back for a score. I hope the D can force 2 or 3 turnovers and or STs can block a punt (we need this!).

I see the score something like 17-13 or 20-16 with Iowa winning, but who knows. Maybe we are all wrong and the offenses go nuts and both score in the 20s lol! Go Hawks!

I am pretty confident Iowa will play well ... including an improvement on offense (baby steps though). I think they will try some QB runs and lots of roll outs with Labas keeping on the move. I think the O will muster 10-13 points perhaps. Need to be able to move the chains and not turn the ball over, try to win the field position game. #2 (Johnson) is our best back and has some talent. I think Labas will probably give up at least 1 turnover though.

I think the Iowa D will be really clicking with #31 leading the way (Campbell - Butkus winner) as it is his last game as a Hawkeye. As I said before #3 (DeJean) is really a special player (true sophomore). I think he may take a punt back for a score. I hope the D can force 2 or 3 turnovers and or STs can block a punt (we need this!).

I see the score something like 17-13 or 20-16 with Iowa winning, but who knows. Maybe we are all wrong and the offenses go nuts and both score in the 20s lol! Go Hawks!
A QB that hasn't taken a snap all year will find it is no picnic facing the Cat defense(yes we may be in the same boat) Our defense is mostly intact. I can see several busted plays on both sides of the ball. I think you are spot on in the area of field position being a big factor. i am looking forward to a close game, the way things have played out I think the teams are evenly matched. It could come down to which team is the most motivated to win and honestly you guys may have an advantage there because we are playing without Levis (who is the leader of this team) Our guys seem to play harder when he is in the game.

Isn’t he the Hawk that did a little end zone dance after scoring in the Citrus, last time?
What's funny about Arland Bruce is he potentially could be a kid left in the cold by opting to go to the transfer portal. The hot talk was he was headed to Kansas State and wanted to play there (he grew up only a couple hours from their campus) but supposedly never got an offer from them-- meanwhile his teammate at Iowa (Keegan Johnson) hit the portal and did get an offer from K-State and accepted it. Then Bruce was offered by Mississippi State days before Mike Leach passed and nobody knows right now where any of that stands because of Leach's passing.

It's a little like having an early spring game against a solid opponent. We definitely want to win, but seeing some of the younger depth pieces (especially Wade/Sherron) gives it a spring game feel.

I looked it up. Arland Bruce (10) scored the first TD for Iowa in the 2022 Citrus Bowl, on a reverse.

I watched it, again. He has some decent speed.

We gave up quite a few rushing yards in last 3 games, although not many points, so that is a concern

It's a little like having an early spring game against a solid opponent. We definitely want to win, but seeing some of the younger depth pieces (especially Wade/Sherron) gives it a spring game feel.
I think the Iowa fan base is kinda in this boat too ... they want to see what the young QB can do and see if the offensive scheme has changed a little bit. I personally love watching our D and STs so it wasn't as ugly watching Iowa for me as for other fans who love to complain all year long!

I think I said it in another post, but DeJean (#3) will likely be Iowa's next All American ... kid can play every position on the field other than OL, DL or MLB or TE. He plays all 4 DB positions already (CB, SS, FS, CASH (hybrid LB/SS)), was a QB in HS and certainly could be a really good RB or WR (6'1" 209). IMO his early injury cost Iowa the Nebraska game. I'm sure I just jinxed him to have an awful game, but hopefully not!

Obviously going to be a defensive field position battle.

I know you guys had momentum coming into the season and things didn't work out as expected. I was really impressed by UK after getting to know more about them from last years Bowl matchup and was pulling for you guys in the SEC this year. I think Mark Stoops is a good coach and comes from a great football family (and of course, love his alma mater ;-)).

How will it play out? I know Iowa will be motivated based on the terrible loss they suffered to Nebraska. The D especially will be fired up with Jack Campbell and Riley Moss and the rest of the seniors. Special teams and turnovers will probably dictate the outcome. Thoughts?
Both teams have been hurt by nonparticipation announcements by multiple key players. Both teams will start freshman QBs. A first quarter TD and an early lead would go a long way in this game for either team. The battle for field position will be important all day. Cannot afford turnovers or special teams screwups. It may not be the fireworks kind of game that some fans crave, but it is a chance to watch tactical football and see some of our freshmen and sophomores who have not played much prior to this game. I can't make it to Nashville because we have a lot of visitors in Georgetown this year. But I will watch every minute of this game on TV.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
ADVERTISEMENT