ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone use an EGO lawn mower?

mdlUK.1

All-American
Dec 23, 2002
Thinking of buying an EGO lawn mower. Anyone have one? Any recommendations?

Not Ego, but I'm a sucker for Ryobi tools.. and as far as I can tell, their lawn equipment are pretty much the same thing as EGO.

I'm not a gear head, My neighbor had to tell me my snowblower had a 2nd "off" switch for the engine, so that should tell you where I'm at with motors and such (I'm not proud of this by any means lol). I'm thankful every day that my equipment is basically just plugging a battery in and pressing the on button... No gas, no oil, no need to understand drive shafts, combustion, engine maintenance.. and some of these things are SO cost effective, you could probably just toss them after 5-10 years instead of trying to fix it.

My Ryobi mower was like $200.. nothing fancy.. maybe like a 15 inch cut base and it lasts for like 45 min on a charge.. Had it for 3 years, and when that thing goes in 4-5.. I'm just tossing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdlUK.1
CostlyNaughtyKomododragon-size_restricted.gif

Have a Ryobi and am very happy with it. It’s nice just checking the tires, unplugging it and taking off. I sharpen the blades once a year. Mine is advertised as mowing up to two acres on a charge. I’ve never tried that much but it seems about right based on the gauge. Unless I end up with a really huge yard I’ll stay with electric. The only thing that’s really surprising is how loud it is. With the blades off it practically silent, and with the blades on its nearly as loud as a gas mower.

Have a Ryobi and am very happy with it. It’s nice just checking the tires, unplugging it and taking off. I sharpen the blades once a year. Mine is advertised as mowing up to two acres on a charge. I’ve never tried that much but it seems about right based on the gauge. Unless I end up with a really huge yard I’ll stay with electric. The only thing that’s really surprising is how loud it is. With the blades off it practically silent, and with the blades on its nearly as loud as a gas mower.

That's odd. I think I have a smaller one but the thing is whisper quiet.

I see that they are releasing bigger and bigger mowers every year, and now electric snowblowers are just a bit behind gas. The technology is rapidly improving. At some point, why buy gas? And why pay more for these machines when electric/battery are seemingly much cheaper? And not for any environmental reason.. just for the convenience.

Snowblowers ? WTH ? 🍺

They're needed about 4-5 times up by me. My neighbor has one, while I still have gas.. and while his is still corded, and it's not as powerful as mine.. it's not far off. And trying to mess with starting an engine in the freezing cold, changing a spark plug, etc, etc? sucks. Because keep in mind, if you can't clear the snow, you might not be able to get out. So having a working snowblower in the northeast is crucial.

Last edited:
Reactions: chroix
I plan on getting one when my mower kicks the bucket (maybe this year). I watched a lawncare guy review one while he cut an overgrown yard and he was blown away by it.

I have the EGO leaf blower, weed eater, and hedge trimmer and like them all.

Reactions: chroix and mdlUK.1
I plan on getting one when my mower kicks the bucket (maybe this year). I watched a lawncare guy review one while he cut an overgrown yard and he was blown away by it.

I have the EGO leaf blower, weed eater, and hedge trimmer and like them all.
Yeah, every review I have seen has been positive. One guy said his died suddenly, called the company and they replace the mower. Now that is customer service.

I have the EGO Lawn Mower, Snow Thrower, Hedge Trimmer, and Leaf Blower

I like the fact that the batteries work in each of them. They do the job for me, as I have a somewhat small yard. Can normally get 40 minutes out of a charge on the mower, 30 mins on snow thrower. I have 4 batteries so I just make sure they're all charged in case i have to swap them out

Reactions: chroix
They're needed about 4-5 times up by me. My neighbor has one, while I still have gas.. and while his is still corded, and it's not as powerful as mine.. it's not far off. And trying to mess with starting an engine in the freezing cold, changing a spark plug, etc, etc? sucks. Because keep in mind, if you can't clear the snow, you might not be able to get out. So having a working snowblower in the northeast is crucial.
Idk what snowblowers are ? Is it like a blower for grass clippings and leaves but made for snow ?

So how exactly is this way better than gas?

from ego website…

How Long Does An Electric Lawn Mower Last?​

The lifetime of an electric mower can last up to 10 years, while the lifetime of its battery is about 5 years. Depending on the product you purchase, your electric mower battery should last up to an hour before needing to be recharged.

You buy a Honda, and cut your grass forever. The end.

Oh, it gets better…from Lowe’s.

Ego self propelled - $600
7.5mah replacement battery - $350

gtfo…

So how exactly is this way better than gas?

from ego website…

How Long Does An Electric Lawn Mower Last?​

The lifetime of an electric mower can last up to 10 years, while the lifetime of its battery is about 5 years. Depending on the product you purchase, your electric mower battery should last up to an hour before needing to be recharged.

You buy a Honda, and cut your grass forever. The end.

Well for one thing.. a battery lasting 5 years, even with the cost to charge it, is still probably going to be on par with purchasing gasoline for your mower and trips to get gasoline. All of these come with a battery, and if you have to buy another one for $30, not a huge deal.

Surprised they would say a mower can last "just" up to 10 years. I don't think anyone knows really, because they haven't been out long enough.

And gas powered doesn't "last forever" either, it still requires maintenance. Parts go. And I'll tell yah, I sure don't see 20/30+ year old gas powered mowers around. Sure seems like ones made in the last 5-10 years.

Oh, it gets better…from Lowe’s.

Ego self propelled - $600
7.5mah replacement battery - $350

gtfo…

Lol, what's wrong with that considering it comes with a battery to start?

Well for one thing.. a battery lasting 5 years, even with the cost to charge it, is still probably going to be on par with purchasing gasoline for your mower and trips to get gasoline. All of these come with a battery, and if you have to buy another one for $30, not a huge deal.

Surprised they would say a mower can last "just" up to 10 years. I don't think anyone knows really, because they haven't been out long enough.

And gas powered doesn't "last forever" either, it still requires maintenance. Parts go. And I'll tell yah, I sure don't see 20/30+ year old gas powered mowers around. Sure seems like ones made in the last 5-10 years.

Lol, what's wrong with that considering it comes with a battery to start?

Idk man, I just don’t see it. First and foremost, electric isn’t gonna cut as good as gas. It’s a lawnmower, and if I can get a better mower for less, I’m gonna do that. If battery becomes comparable to gas powered, I’ll go battery.

I think most people with at least 1/4 acre would be better served with gas.

And you’re going to need another battery. You’ll probably get a bigger sized one. Which will cost the same as a brand new Honda. Which is plain crazy.

Reactions: P19978
Also 10 years depending on size of lawn I’d guess is that based on weekly mow for 1 acre of land? Guessing if you had more or less it could last longer potentially.

As the resident lawn mower man, I'm happy to answer any battery questions anyone has.

My first question would be how big of a yard do you plan on cutting with it. I assume you're talking about a push mower and not a battery powered ride on?

As the resident lawn mower man, I'm happy to answer any battery questions anyone has.

My first question would be how big of a yard do you plan on cutting with it. I assume you're talking about a push mower and not a battery powered ride on?
Regular city lot. I went ahead and got the EGO and so far, love it. Easy to set up and cuts as well as a gas mower.

Reactions: HUBER
For a smaller city lot, I don't think you'll have any issues.

Battery will be our only option in 10 years. The technology increases we've seen in battery technology with outdoor power equipment in just the past few years has been significant. Its only going to get better, have longer running times, and come down in price.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT