ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Here Have An Electric Car?

How you doing? Haven’t seen you on the Political Thread for a while…. Don’t be a stranger….
Been just taking a bit of a break from the boards. Got some other things I've been using my free time on so I don't get to post and read on here to much. The political board uses a lot of time with how fast it moves. Get behind a day or two and you might be in there for hours. 😆

Been just taking a bit of a break from the boards. Got some other things I've been using my free time on so I don't get to post and read on here to much. The political board uses a lot of time with how fast it moves. Get behind a day or two and you might be in there for hours. 😆
And yet miss nothing. lol

Rivian Truck seems like a great truck but pulling weight is a bit of a problem. Requires frequent recharges.
Love TFL….and all their spin-off channels.

Ahhh, electric vehicles. Absolutely amazing at towing….as long as you tow within 30 miles of your home. Great technology though…..it’ll get better.

Did you know that Tesla's are basically a scam? The second least reliable car brand. Model Y is one of the 10 least reliable vehicles, according to consumer reports.

Only brand less reliable is Lincoln.
About 1/3rd of Teslas have serious issues within the first several yrs of ownership…..as reported by a recent study done in the UK. Musk has even said that he doesn’t care about quality right now. He has said several times that he’ll improve quality once there’s a Tesla in everyone’s driveway.

But, they’re customer service is revolutionary. One of my patients got a knock on his door one morning from a Tesla employee who was there to pick up his car for repairs. Apparently the owner’s car developed a problem, called Tesla to report it, they sent out a flatbed truck and an identical replacement vehicle. My patient didn’t even know there was an issue.

A PA that I work with has one. The car told him it had a problem through his phone. Tesla drove a replacement vehicle down and drove his away for repairs. He never lost time off work nor was stranded because the car warned him before it broke seriously.

There’s going to be some growing pains….especially since other manufacturers are jumping into the deep end of the pool globally as quickly as they can. Like anything that’s new, it’ll get better……but I’m gonna wait and let others deal with the pains.

Rivian Truck seems like a great truck but pulling weight is a bit of a problem. Requires frequent recharges.
Thanks for the video. Of course, I'll never be hauling anything heavier than a couple of kayaks over flat ground on a less than a 300 mile round trip. It'll also probably be a couple of years or so before I'm looking to buy, unless my RAM 1500 dies, or my dog dies first. Sam is at the ripe old age of 12 and is a hair monster. I really don't want to buy a new vehicle and have to vacuum it out every 3-4 days to keep it from looking like a kennel. When it comes time to trade, I'll seriously consider getting an electric truck. By then the technology and infrastructure should be much improved.

I have a couple of dozen electric cars. I race them on a track in my garage. They're 1/64th scale.
My brother and I were just talking about this. We used to have RC cars about 20-30 yrs ago. Loved them. I’ve been out of the game for a while now and am not aware of the new technology. Anything cool?

My brother and I were just talking about this. We used to have RC cars about 20-30 yrs ago. Loved them. I’ve been out of the game for a while now and am not aware of the new technology. Anything cool?
I don't do RC cars, I race HO slot cars (I custom build them myself, using various upgraded parts from

Viper Scale Racing

These are super modified cars, running very high voltages with rare earth traction magnets.

(but those folks are competing for actual prize money. )

Reactions: BlueRaider22
TFL makes some pretty good videos. My YouTube home is full of videos about the lightning. I guess YouTubers learned to get in on ordering early and Ford delivered them all at roughly the same time. One is a guy that tested the absolute max range at highway speeds and it got slightly more than advertised.

I’m still cautious because they’re both new, but I’m going to say that the Maverick xl hybrid at 20k and Lightning pro at 40k are the biggest automotive bargains right now by far.

Dang, those are fast. I don’t know how you tell who wins?

I’d like something like this.

Quitter. You are not allowed back now unless you read the last 200 pages.

Reactions: ukalum1988
hAD A Ford Fusion Hydrid .. I HATED it , not so much because of the electric hybrid engine but so many other features were a terrible PITA ... its a longer story really .. I have life long friends in the rebuild business .. I buy all my vehicles from them .. HS friends from 30 years ago . So I pick out what I want , they find it , fix it .. done deal. So I was dropping about 300 a month on gas in my truck and thought it was foolish so I bough the Ford .. It only came with one key .. So the previous owner had set the volume at a max sound of like 1/2 way up .. I couldnt hear the radio . The fix - 300-400 for a new key at the dealer .. and it had this weird feature where you couldnt open the trunk if the car was running , and yes , it was a total dog . but got 42-45 MPG . You could actually program a MAX speed of the vehicle also , it was called the " MyKey " system . I will never ever buy a Ford with that system . I found it a major PITA .

Your first mistake was buying a Ford man.

What I’m really scared about with all of this electric nonsense is Harley Davidson cutting their inventory and pushing green motorcycles. God no, if it doesn’t sound like a Harley, they’re going bankrupt.

UPDATE ON MY TESLA for those interested or contemplating about getting one.

Something flew up and cracked my windshield while on a trip a couple weeks ago. Not an issue with driving it, but wanted it replaces as soon as possible.

Closest place for me was Knoxville (1 1/2 hrs) to get it replaced. Took about two weeks to get it done. I could have taken it to my local Safelite place, but TESLA said my camera mounted inside my windshield had to be removed and then re-calibrated. I don't know if Safelite could do that so I took it to the TESLA service center just for peace of mind.

Also, phantom braking has happened to me three times, especially in autopilot mode, but an update was sent over the air recently addressing this issue and hopefully it fixed it.

Also, I ask the tech about battery charging to full capacity a lot. He said that the newer models (including mine) could be charged as much and as often as you want with no degradation to the battery.

Also, my 5 yr old G-daughter spilled an entire cherry slushy on the white interior seats. It all wiped up completely with a damp cloth. I was pleasantly surprised.

I have 8200 miles on it now and by my rough calculations I have saved over $1200 in gas alone. Not counting service for oil changes, etc.

I can't see a noticeable change in my electric bill. Going from Spring to Summer and heat to AC, it's just hard to calculate it.

The car is still amazing to drive. I have no complaints whatsoever of purchasing it.

Something flew up and cracked my windshield while on a trip a couple weeks ago. Not an issue with driving it, but wanted it replaces as soon as possible.

Closest place for me was Knoxville (1 1/2 hrs) to get it replaced. Took about two weeks to get it done. I could have taken it to my local Safelite place, but TESLA said my camera mounted inside my windshield had to be removed and then re-calibrated. I don't know if Safelite could do that so I took it to the TESLA service center just for peace of mind.

Also, phantom braking has happened to me three times, especially in autopilot mode, but an update was sent over the air recently addressing this issue and hopefully it fixed it.

Also, I ask the tech about battery charging to full capacity a lot. He said that the newer models (including mine) could be charged as much and as often as you want with no degradation to the battery.

Also, my 5 yr old G-daughter spilled an entire cherry slushy on the white interior seats. It all wiped up completely with a damp cloth. I was pleasantly surprised.

I have 8200 miles on it now and by my rough calculations I have saved over $1200 in gas alone. Not counting service for oil changes, etc.

I can't see a noticeable change in my electric bill. Going from Spring to Summer and heat to AC, it's just hard to calculate it.

The car is still amazing to drive. I have no complaints whatsoever of purchasing it.

All in all I’m glad to see you survived Knoxville actually. Get some breathing treatments the air there is really bad and polluted. Book a couple of therapy sessions eventually the shock that people act and live that way will wear off. Dreams of wrong turn type of backwater people always remain though.

I’m really glad you made it back you must not be black. If you are become a motivational speaker because you’ve got quite the story to tell.

• Haha
Reactions: Chuckinden
I saw a short video about a 100k mile Tesla and the most surprising thing was the white seats still looked like new. They got it detailed a couple of times but otherwise did nothing.

Reactions: Chuckinden
I saw a short video about a 100k mile Tesla and the most surprising thing was the white seats still looked like new. They got it detailed a couple of times but otherwise did nothing.
The white seats makes the car look more futuristic, but I was reluctant to get the white seats and I ran into a guy that had owned his with white seats for awhile and said his wife spilled a chocolate milkshake in the seat and it wiped right off.

Reactions: Rebelfreedomeagle
All in all I’m glad to see you survived Knoxville actually. Get some breathing treatments the air there is really bad and polluted. Book a couple of therapy sessions eventually the shock that people act and live that way will wear off. Dreams of wrong turn type of backwater people always remain though.

I’m really glad you made it back you must not be black. If you are become a motivational speaker because you’ve got quite the story to tell.
I actually like K'ville. It really has it all....mountains, lakes, rivers, and a metro area. I would move there if I could talk my wife into selling our business.

EVs reported more problems

Electric vehicles performed worse than gas-powered models in the study. EVs had 240 complaints per 100 vehicles on average, plug-in hybrid vehicles had 239, and gas-powered cars averaged 175.

Those numbers are complicated by the fact that Tesla TSLA, +2.55% vehicles weren’t counted in the study. Fully 75% of the EVs sold in the U.S. last quarter were Tesla products.

Several states require automakers to consent before J.D. Power can use their data. Tesla chose not to participate. J.D. Power published unofficial figures based on the data from states that don’t require automaker consent but didn’t rank the brand because the data was incomplete.

The potential is there and we'll all get there.......but buyer beware right now.

They just towed the Ike. You can really see the potential that EV's and technology will yield for the future, but towing remains a very big problem in the short term...

I think they towed a camper and got less than 90 miles in another video. All the people that want to get rid of fossil fuels completely, do you realize how much weight tractors pull, or semis? It's not some scrawny little camper.

I think they towed a camper and got less than 90 miles in another video. All the people that want to get rid of fossil fuels completely, do you realize how much weight tractors pull, or semis? It's not some scrawny little camper.
Gonna need more than just battery power for the big hauls. That’s where plug power and bloom enter with hydrogen powered electric engines or Fuel cell electric vehicles

FCEV are a good bit more efficient than a Diesel engine. Diesel has an energy density of 45.5 megajoules per kilogram (MJ/kg), slightly lower than gasoline, which has an energy density of 45.8 MJ/kg. By contrast, hydrogen has an energy density of approximately 120 MJ/kg, almost three times more than diesel or gasoline.

so, power won’t be the issue. It will be the high price of H2 fuel, due to lack of h2 supply

In that video they also had significant issues other than just the range. There weren't many charging stations around, so they had to stop at the one that was available. When they did, they blocked off a portion of the parking lot because of the trailer. They achieved about 90 miles from a full charged battery, but due to time constraints they were only able to charge back to about 75% capacity (like most chargers, it charges fairly quickly up to about 70-75% before significantly slowing down charge time) before heading back home.

There are also many reports of:
-chargers not working.....or stopping in the middle of charging.
-Idiots purposely unplugging charging cars just to be mean to their unknowing owners
-stations reducing the rate of charge if the station has a lot of vehicles drawing off the station as a whole.
-People taking waaaaay longer to charge at home. Some are reporting that their cars can take upwards of 20+ hrs to recharge.......often not making it through a work wk.

In that video they also had significant issues other than just the range. There weren't many charging stations around, so they had to stop at the one that was available. When they did, they blocked off a portion of the parking lot because of the trailer. They achieved about 90 miles from a full charged battery, but due to time constraints they were only able to charge back to about 75% capacity (like most chargers, it charges fairly quickly up to about 70-75% before significantly slowing down charge time) before heading back home.

There are also many reports of:
-chargers not working.....or stopping in the middle of charging.
-Idiots purposely unplugging charging cars just to be mean to their unknowing owners
-stations reducing the rate of charge if the station has a lot of vehicles drawing off the station as a whole.
-People taking waaaaay longer to charge at home. Some are reporting that their cars can take upwards of 20+ hrs to recharge.......often not making it through a work wk.
It takes 10 hours to get a full charge with a 220 outlet. With a Tesla wall charger mount it takes about 4-5 hours for a full charge off empty. All this is done overnight like charging a cell phone.

I don’t see how it could present a problem for everyday driving. You will save time, by not having to drive to a gas station to fill up

Do you own a squeegee? How are you cleaning your windshield? Windex and a rag? Someone needs to start a squeegee business beside the electrical chargers. I bet Teslas have dirtier windshields than most cars.

It takes 10 hours to get a full charge with a 220 outlet. With a Tesla wall charger mount it takes about 4-5 hours for a full charge off empty. All this is done overnight like charging a cell phone.

I don’t see how it could present a problem for everyday driving. You will save time, by not having to drive to a gas station to fill up

For your instance and most others, it isn't a problem....correct. However, there are a number of complaints that it can take >20-24 hrs to charge some peoples cars when they were told it would be much less. The issue is that many homes just aren't as efficient.....and not all manufacturers are getting the charge times correctly.

Now, still in most cases this will still be fine for the general public because most people don't need a full charge to back and forth to work. However, for some they aren't able to charge enough throughout the wk....so, by the end of the work week they don't have enough charge to get to and from work.......or by the wkend their car is near dead and they have to spend most of Saturday charging it back up.

TFL starting trip to Alaska. One lightning and one hybrid.

I bumped the truck thread instead of this one.

What's obvious with larger vehicles is the technology is promising but it's just not there yet. When I say there I mean convenience of owning. I'm sure things will change.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT