ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Here Have An Electric Car?

"Status symbol" certainly is not what I think when I see them. I bet all of their owners still wear masks lol.

I've only had one patient that was really honest about why he bought one. (in this case, a Tesla) I asked why he chose an EV and he said,

At least he was honest.

P.S. He got rid of it about 6 months later.....had it a total of 18 months and it was sent back to the shop 5x.

Everyone has different reasons for buying anything.

Mine is not having to visit a gas pump and no service compared to an ICE vehicle.

Been a great car so far. I have no complaints.

My brother bought a Bolt EUV. The amount of driving he does and since it is a cheap one($23k after tax credit) he is only out about a $125 a month for it. Mainly wanted it so he didn't have to drive a his truck as much and to have a spare vehicle just in case.

I like that it is set up like a regular car. Driving it was fine. Only thing I that felt funny was reversing. I'm used to having to hold the break to not back up unintentionally. On it put it in reverse and it just sits there until pushing the accelerator .

I completely get and have no problem with a person's individual reasons. I have a full sized PU.......do I need a full size? No, I don't, but I don't claim it does things that it can't do.

---Here are a few correct reasons to buy an EV
-fast acceleration
-Some people love cutting edge technology
-quiet
-avoid having to pump gas
-If you want a status symbol.....own up to it

---Here are some incorrect information
-It's better for the environment
-It handles better
-It's more reliable
-It's cheaper
-It's safer

I completely get and have no problem with a person's individual reasons. I have a full sized PU.......do I need a full size? No, I don't, but I don't claim it does things that it can't do.

-fast acceleration
-quiet

-It handles better
-It's more reliable
-It's cheaper
-It's safer
I bought a used Tesla in January 2021. 38 months ago.

Zero repairs
Zero oil changes
Zero gas station fill ups

50,000 miles later it’s still a phruckin lazer on the road. I dread having to drive a weak ICE. So slow and unresponsive in comparison

I bought a used Tesla in January 2021. 38 months ago.

Zero repairs
Zero oil changes
Zero gas station fill ups

50,000 miles later it’s still a phruckin lazer on the road. I dread having to drive a weak ICE. So slow and unresponsive in comparison

That's great. Good to hear it. Most people have had good luck with their Teslas........doesn't mean that they still aren't close to the bottom in brand reliability. In fact, EV's across the board have had 86% more problems than ICE vehicles.......doesn't mean that everyone has issues.

As long as you are an informed consumer and you're happy, then great.

Reactions: Chuckinden

Mine is not having to visit a gas pump and no service compared to an ICE vehicle.

Been a great car so far. I have no complaints.
Agreed. But the US economy and infrastructure isn't anywhere close to be able to completely switch by 2030. Choice is the key. No choice, is bad for everyone.

-fast acceleration
-quiet

-It handles better
-It's more reliable
-It's cheaper
-It's safer
I have to disagree about one item there. I have a pickup too along with two other ICE machines (BMW's) and they are miles apart in the way my Tesla handles.

I have to disagree about one item there. I have a pickup too along with two other ICE machines (BMW's) and they are miles apart in the way my Tesla handles.

While everyone has a different opinion, the most popular opinion by far is that the Tesla lags behind when it comes to handling against the direct competitors. (But don't misunderstand me, it's still a great handling vehicle)

Well the PU isn't a comparison with the way that it handles. But lets get to the BMW's.....depending on what they are. If you're trying to compare a SUV to a Tesla model 3, it's apples/oranges.....still can't compare.

A Tesla Model 3 is comparable to a BMW 3 series.......and when you view just about every single outlet's review they'll say the same things. The Tesla is much quicker in a straight line, but the BMW is much better with handling.

The Tesla Model 3 performance is rapid to say the least. As an electric car it generates instant torque that send it from 0-60mph in just 5.8 seconds. Only the plug-in hybrid and range-topping M340i/M340d can produce those kinds of numbers.

Performance is more than just outright pace, however. It’s in the handling poise of the 3 Series that you find how it corners in a more engaging fashion than the Model 3.

While I haven't personally driven a 3 series recently, I have driven a Tesla 3 quite a bit and compared it to an Audi A4 that I drove around quite a bit at the same time. I completely concur with the above statement. Wanna go quick in a straight line.....EV........wanna have more fun on the tight/twisty backroads.....A4..

1st- The most convenient thing is not going to a gas station 100 times a year. I love that. It’s such an advantage in daily driving.

2nd-accelerator response is like lightning quick.

3rd-no noise, so music sounds more clear

4th-no oil changes every 4 months

While everyone has a different opinion, the most popular opinion by far is that the Tesla lags behind when it comes to handling against the direct competitors. (But don't misunderstand me, it's still a great handling vehicle)

Well the PU isn't a comparison with the way that it handles. But lets get to the BMW's.....depending on what they are. If you're trying to compare a SUV to a Tesla model 3, it's apples/oranges.....still can't compare.

A Tesla Model 3 is comparable to a BMW 3 series.......and when you view just about every single outlet's review they'll say the same things. The Tesla is much quicker in a straight line, but the BMW is much better with handling.

The Tesla Model 3 performance is rapid to say the least. As an electric car it generates instant torque that send it from 0-60mph in just 5.8 seconds. Only the plug-in hybrid and range-topping M340i/M340d can produce those kinds of numbers.

Performance is more than just outright pace, however. It’s in the handling poise of the 3 Series that you find how it corners in a more engaging fashion than the Model 3.

While I haven't personally driven a 3 series recently, I have driven a Tesla 3 quite a bit and compared it to an Audi A4 that I drove around quite a bit at the same time. I completely concur with the above statement. Wanna go quick in a straight line.....EV........wanna have more fun on the tight/twisty backroads.....A4..
Just a tip, if you’re going to make the argument that every outlet’s review states that a BMW handles better, then you probably should link a review from a serious car publication and not “moneyshake.com”.

And I’m not saying that because I love EVs. I do not own an EV, precisely because the driving experience is not yet to a level I enjoy. My current car is an M3 and I’ve owned BMWs for years.

And Audi’s are understeer monsters, though I wouldn’t turn down an RS6 Avant if I were decide to go to a bigger vehicle. As a BMW driver, I have to get in at least one dig towards Audi.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Just a tip, if you’re going to make the argument that every outlet’s review states that a BMW handles better, then you probably should link a review from a serious car publication and not “moneyshake.com”.

And I’m not saying that because I love EVs. I do not own an EV, precisely because the driving experience is not yet to a level I enjoy. My current car is an M3 and I’ve owned BMWs for years.

And Audi’s are understeer monsters, though I wouldn’t turn down an RS6 Avant if I were decide to go to a bigger vehicle. As a BMW driver, I have to get in at least one dig towards Audi.

Well said. Agreed. It was the first thing that came up on the quick Google search so I went with it because it relays the sentiment that most outlets share when it comes to the paragraph that I referenced.

Here's Motor1 which is actually fairly reputable.

Technically speaking, the Standard Range, rear-wheel-drive Model 3 and the 330i M Sport have similar specs. Both produce about 255 horsepower (the Tesla pumps out 258), but the Model 3 bests the BMW to 60 mph. It takes the Model 3 just 5.3 seconds to get there – 0.3 seconds quicker than the BMW. Based on our butt test, the Tesla feels much quicker because it offers 100 percent of its torque off the line, and more satisfying off the line. Upgrading to the Long Range or Performance models beats the base Bimmer even more brutally, putting it in closer competition to BMW’s like the M340i. Factoring in price (later in the story) helps the Tesla here.

But straight lines can only be so satisfying and the 3 Series buries the Tesla on anything more than a slight curve. The Tesla may have a low center of gravity thanks to its floor-mounted batteries, but its spongy suspension and low-impact, limited-grip Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires (same as the Toyota Prius) make it unruly in faster turns. The rear feels like it wants to give up when pushed, and the high-riding body wafts like an old-timey ship on stormy seas.

The BMW 330i is more satisfying to drive, so it gets our nod here.

Once again, the Tesla 3 is a great handling car. It's not like I'm saying that a BMW is rockstar and the Tesla is a dump truck. My original post that references "incorrect reasons to buy a EV" was to point out that people make the false claim that the handling is sooooo much better than other competitors because the low center of gravity, etc.

With every vehicle there are pros/cons....and you should be knowledgeable about what those truly are. (of course I would say the same thing no matter what you're looking to purchase) Kingseve above is a great example. He doesn't like changing the oil or stopping for gas. He likes the ability kick it off the line. That's great and I'm glad he's happy. He's not claiming that he bought it touting benefits to the environment. He's not claiming that he bought it because it's dirt cheap and economical. I could be wrong, but I don't think that he's driving around sticking his nose up at people who drive other vehicles....in fact, I think he has a Raptor? He doesn't seem to want to restrict the choices of others. He seems to understand the pros/cons.

1st- The most convenient thing is not going to a gas station 100 times a year. I love that. It’s such an advantage in daily driving.

1st - Gas stations? Went to Wawa twice yesterday. Once to fill up my RAM 1500 and later that afternoon to fill up my wife's E350. It was packed both times and I had to wait for an open slot. The Wawa app was freezing up when I had the truck, so I couldn't use my reward points or get reward points for this visit. So yeah, I hate stopping at gas stations too, except to get something tasty from the Wawa kitchen.

2nd - Acceleration? Yes, that's important, especially trying to get on I-95 down here. My RAM with the Hemi and her E350 both accelerate nicely, although nothing like an EV.

3rd - Noise? Yeah, my RAM has that rumble, but I usually crank the music up when I'm by myself anyway.

4th - Oil changes? Yes, it can be a PITA, simply because you have to take the time to do it and it costs me around $400 a year.

My RAM has 154K on it now and has maybe been the most dependable vehicle I've ever owned. I'm going to give EV trucks a long look when I'm ready to trade, but not before the RAM REV comes out. As for the "inconvenience" of finding a charging station, the vast majority of my charging will be done at home. The only long road trips we take are from South Florida to East TN three times a year, and when our old dog passes away, we'll probably fly in for at least two of those. On the one trip we'll probably drive in for, I'm planning on making it a 2 day trip, so recharging shouldn't be an issue.

Who the hell fills up their vehicle 100 times a year? Unless you travel for a job, I'd bet it would be once a week at most on average. Unless I have to go to a bunch of doctor's appointments, I probably won't fill up more than once every 3 weeks. That's less than $700 a year. I only get like 2 oil changes a year because of my low miles driven. So maybe $800 a year on gas and oil changes. So like $67 a month.

With no car payment and low cost to drive it, I'll drive this car until it falls apart before I'll get an EV. It would be like $800 or more a month to buy a Tesla 3, a charger (plus installation), and to charge it. This is until you pay off the charger cost. It doesn't even take into account the more expensive insurance. Definitely not worth it for me. If the government wants to force me to get one then it better be for free.

Who the hell fills up their vehicle 100 times a year? Unless you travel for a job, I'd bet it would be once a week at most on average. Unless I have to go to a bunch of doctor's appointments, I probably won't fill up more than once every 3 weeks. That's less than $700 a year. I only get like 2 oil changes a year because of my low miles driven. So maybe $800 a year on gas and oil changes. So like $67 a month.

With no car payment and low cost to drive it, I'll drive this car until it falls apart before I'll get an EV. It would be like $800 or more a month to buy a Tesla 3, a charger (plus installation), and to charge it. This is until you pay off the charger cost. It doesn't even take into account the more expensive insurance. Definitely not worth it for me. If the government wants to force me to get one then it better be for free.
I do travel each day around town. Probably 50-100 miles a day. Never stopping at a gas station is fantastic.

Tesla battery charger install is 500-1000 dollars.

I do travel each day around town. Probably 50-100 miles a day. Never stopping at a gas station is fantastic.

Tesla battery charger install is 500-1000 dollars.
Depends on your box location. My box for instance is on the opposite side of the house than the driveway. So they would have to run it to the opposite side of the house and put up some kind of mount for it. I also don't have a garage. So I'd be surprised if the equipment and installation would be $1k or less.

Depends on your box location. My box for instance is on the opposite side of the house than the driveway. So they would have to run it to the opposite side of the house and put up some kind of mount for it. I also don't have a garage. So I'd be surprised if the equipment and installation would be $1k or less.
You're probably right. Mine was $1500 and my box is in the garage. They had to go up through the attic and down to the charger.

The cable itself was the most expensive item.

Saw my first Cybertruck in the wild at the Bucees charging station in Sevierville. The traffic Sunday might have used the entire charge though.

Can you copy and paste. I couldn’t get past the pay wall?
As requested:

Where are the antitrust cops when you need them? Stellantis and California this week struck a deal to protect the state’s electric-vehicle mandate from future political and legal challenges. Here’s another illustration of collusion between big government and big business that hurts Americans.

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) has banned the sale of new gas-powered cars in the state by 2035. Unlike Biden Administration officials, progressives in Sacramento are honest about their plan to phase-out gas-powered cars. EV sales will have to ramp up fast over the next decade, making up 51% of sales by 2028 and 100% by 2035.

A Clean Air Act waiver from the Biden Environmental Protection Agency lets California impose its own greenhouse-gas emissions standards and other states to follow them. While California is waiting on the EPA to extend its waiver through 2035, its EV mandate is already creating headaches for car companies.

Stellantis dared to say publicly last year that it is being forced to deliver fewer gas-powered cars to California and the dozen or so states that have adopted its rules. It also said CARB had retaliated against it for supporting Donald Trump’s rollback of Barack Obama’s emissions standards and California’s EPA waiver.

Amid a legal battle with the Trump Administration, CARB struck peace deals with Ford, Honda, BMW, Volvo and Volkswagen that later put their competitors including Stellantis at a regulatory disadvantage. These auto makers committed to voluntarily follow California’s mandate and oppose participating in any trade-association legal challenges to it.

In return, CARB eased their EV quotas and penalties for noncompliance. Instead of paying steep fines, the auto makers could contribute to a state “trust account” to “promote electrification and reduce GHG emissions.” In other words, they could cut California a smaller check that the state could spend to advance its climate agenda.

Auto makers essentially hedged their regulatory risk, knowing Mr. Trump could lose re-election or that his Administration could lose its legal battle with California. Their hedge paid off when Mr. Biden won and restored California’s waiver. Other auto makers that didn’t cut deals with California now operate at a regulatory disadvantage.

Stellantis wanted to get in on the same deal that the other auto makers had, but CARB wouldn’t let it. In December Stellantis filed a petition with the state Office of Administrative Law that accused CARB of operating an “underground regulatory scheme” and violating its First Amendment rights.

Political peace—none dare call it conspiracy—broke out this week as California and Stellantis struck a deal, which they said was “in the interest of avoiding potentially costly litigation, among other reasons.” The 35-page legal contract binds Stellantis to follow California’s EV mandate even if it is blocked by a court or future Trump Administration. In return, Stellantis will get regulatory flexibility similar to the other auto makers.

“This partnership with Stellantis will help California achieve our ambitious goals,” Gov. Gavin Newsom proclaimed. Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares added: “Together, we have found a win-win solution.” Maybe for Stellantis and California, though that didn’t stop the company from announcing Friday that it is laying off 400 workers because of what it called “unprecedented uncertainties.” Could those uncertainties be related to the forced production of EVs that consumers aren’t buying?

In any case, the biggest losers of this “partnership” with California will be Americans across the country who will have fewer gas-powered options. California is imposing its EV mandate nationwide by using regulation to take auto makers hostage. Mr. Newsom may not be running for President in November, but he already acts as if he governs the country.

Reactions: Kingseve1
ADVERTISEMENT