ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Have Multiple Dogs?

KyCatFan

All-American
May 7, 2002
I have a beagle mix already, but might be introducing another dog to the household. Someone my wife works with found a stray that looks like a beagle mix also. She hasn't been able to locate it's family (if it has one) with it not having any kind of tags. Any keys to making this a happy transition for the two of them? They both are males and mine is fixed. I'm not sure if this one is yet, but will ultimately get fixed if he is not. I will take it to get checked out by our vet as soon as possible.

How hard is it to feed two dogs without one trying to go after the other's food? My current beagle always is smelling for more food with that nose of his. I guess I will have to get basically 2 of everything now since I don't know if they will share beds or toys. Hopefully the new one is house trained already. I don't want to have to go through the training process again, but I will if I have to. I guess I will have to keep a close eye on both of them for a while to make sure they get along. Any other tips will be appreciated.

Mine are different breeds but basically the same size. Both girls. One is CLEARLY the one in charge. Even when we put bowls of food in separate places, the other one will wait until the first has finished. They're cool sharing toys. The only worry we have is making sure the first one doesn't get too fat. Sometimes we put her out so the other one will eat.

Reactions: KyCatFan
I only have one dog, but we dog sit a neighbor's dog frequently. She is a bit more aggressive than our dog. When it comes to feeding, we put her food out first. She will start eating and be distracted. Then we put Norman's food out. She will take his bed most of the time and he doesn't seem to care.

Norman isn't allowed on the furniture in our house, and Ginger (neighbor dog) is allowed on her people's furniture, so we have to correct that some.

I think a lot will just come down to the dogs personalities. Shouldn't be a big problem since they will both live by the same rules.

Reactions: KyCatFan
Another thing is I will have to break in a new name since no one knows what his name is. My current dog is named Charlie. I thought about the new one being Barkley. A play on the name of Charles Barkley. Second choice was maybe Murphy. I liked Charlie Murphy from the old Chapelle Show. I know they are cheesy names, but I like me a little cheesiness.

We have four rescues (two Airedales, a Great Dane, and a Bassett Hound). Dogs are pack animals and get along with minor exceptions. We feed them in different areas of the house to prevent food aggression. They all want the same toy. They keep each other company when we're at work.

Another thing is I will have to break in a new name since no one knows what his name is. My current dog is named Charlie. I thought about the new one being Barkley. A play on the name of Charles Barkley. Second choice was maybe Murphy. I liked Charlie Murphy from the old Chapelle Show. I know they are cheesy names, but I like me a little cheesiness.
Manson, that's the name you're looking for. He just died recently so you're good to go.

If you haven't done so already, you should take that "stray" to your vet. Most dogs are micro-chipped these days with their owner/vet info. Your vet should have a scanner which can read micro-chips. A lot of shelters have readers too. That way you have done all you can to find the owner.

If you end up keeping him, you will likely find that having two dogs is easier than one. Dogs are pack animals and do better with multiple members (including you). They will entertain and exercise each other just through rough play which will make things easier on you.

3_headed_tracy_by_cutekillerdog.gif

Here's my baby(s)

*DMX lyrics*

My part beagle dog is black and I've never seen anything that sniffs or eats as much. That's her entire purpose on earth, and it's hilarious to me.

I think if you put two beagle dogs together they would eat your house down. Also be a chore to walk two of them as they sniff everything in sight.

*DMX lyrics*

My part beagle dog is black and I've never seen anything that sniffs or eats as much. That's her entire purpose on earth, and it's hilarious to me.

I think if you put two beagle dogs together they would eat your house down. Also be a chore to walk two of them as they sniff everything in sight.

I have 2 kids. 1 dog per kid. They can have fun with the constant sniffing on walks. I just let them out in the backyard for my part. Got to have something to keep the kids active and not sitting around and playing on phones or video games all the time.

Have a beagle and a mutt (?lab mix). The beagle was our only dog for about 7 years. She started acting a little older and we had a lot of guilt over leaving her home alone for a lot of the day. With the addition of the other dog, the beagle really started acting more happy and is more energetic. Their personalities are nothing alike but they spend most of the day together. We feel less guilty about leaving them at home because they entertain each other and have companionship. I’ve found that, with the exception of finding a pet sitter when out of town, it is easier having two dogs.

We got a Basenji pup when we thought our Jack Russell needed a companion. She grew up to kick his butt whether he needed it or not. Both great dogs.

I had Blue Heelers on the farm. I named one Murphy and he was dingo crazy. I knew Beagles named Rosco, Bingo and Buck growing up. They didn’t smell too good, especially wet. I had a Beagle/BlueTick mix I named O.J.. ..............doubt this helps.

You might see how they react to each other at a neutral site first. Good luck!

Same here. We have a beagle/walker hound mix who is 5 and this winter has been hard for her since nobody wants to walk very far in teen temps and/or snow. She'd been looking kinda down, spending a lot of time laying around, so we got her a puppy this past weekend. After 2-3 days of the older dog doing her best to avoid the puppy and giving warning growls and barks when they got too close, one good play session kinda broke the ice and now you can see an improvement in the beagle's mood.

I've been crate/house training all week, sleeping on the couch and making potty trips outside every, well, we;re up to 3 hours now. She's doing good on the house training but learning to sleeping in the crate might kill us both. I'm wrecked. Getting a baby to sleep thru the night easier.

I've done it before and agree that the dogs will figure it out, just don't dump them together or they'll fight like drunk rednecks. I had to put them in crates during the day but in the same room and that seemed to help. I'm currently bringing a kitten in to the mix. It's pretty funny because the cat isn't afraid and will throw some haymakers if the dog gets too nosey.

My wife and I each had a dog before getting married. They hated each other for the first six months and we had to keep them separated. Got so sick of it that we just put them in the backyard one day and made them get used to each other.

They have been a tag team ever since. I suggest that .

Reactions: Lexie's Dad
Well they both are getting along pretty well so far. Just following each other around and even played together. The new turd immediately went and laid in my current beagle's bed and he looked depressed about that.

RsDUjni.jpg

Charlie asking what's up with this.

bfc7wjv.jpg

Everything is all better now with a brand new bed and blanket. Both are just chilling.

qm7cUDv.jpg

The food part is a challenge. Charlie ate his and kept sniffing at the other food bowl and I kept telling him no. He kept sneaking in the kitchen when we weren't paying attention and started eating the other dog's food. Finally just had to put the bowl up for now.

Well they both are getting along pretty well so far. Just following each other around and even played together. The new turd immediately went and laid in my current beagle's bed and he looked depressed about that.

RsDUjni.jpg

Charlie asking what's up with this.

bfc7wjv.jpg

Everything is all better now with a brand new bed and blanket. Both are just chilling.

qm7cUDv.jpg

The food part is a challenge. Charlie ate his and kept sniffing at the other food bowl and I kept telling him no. He kept sneaking in the kitchen when we weren't paying attention and started eating the other dog's food. Finally just had to put the bowl up for now.

You got a fake fire place?
What about some furniture to let them piss on?
You got small feet like Trump's little hands
That basket has a dirty sock hanging out of it
Jesus that red curtain.
Baseboards look dirty
Love the floors though. Kinda jealous.
Cute dogs

I own two beagles; a 13-year-old and a 5 year-old. One boy, one girl. Had both since they were pups. Despite the age difference, they're best friends and won't let the other one out of their sight at any time. They share everything but food and often sleep together curled up with one another.

Both are crate trained. We feed them in their crates and don't let them out until everyone is finished. They're hounds, so they scarf the food and then go in tandem searching for more food upon release. The old one is moderately food aggressive in his senior years. He was fine as a pup.

Getting a beagle a companion is the best thing you can do. They really need the pack lifestyle. Keeps them quiet. If we take one of ours to the vet but need to leave the other one home, the one being left screams/bays like they're being killed.

You got a fake fire place? Yup, to lazy to chop wood and not worth the investment to put a wood burning fireplace in this house. Electric fireplace works fine to add a little zone heating when we don't want to use the furnace to heat up the living room.
What about some furniture to let them piss on? All the furniture is around the perimeter of the room and no pissing on furniture is allowed.
You got small feet like Trump's little hands. That's my wife's feet trying to get the dogs to sit still for a picture. I actually wear 10 1/2.
That basket has a dirty sock hanging out of it. That is actually our sock basket since no one can match socks worth a crap. I blame my daughter with the stupid mismatch style these girls do. We rarely try to match socks and just throw them in the basket after they are washed and then everyone just matches what they want to wear that day. That one hanging probably hasn't been worn in years and it needs to be thrown away. To many times of kids thinking it is alright to wear socks outside. To stained for even bleach at this point.
Jesus that red curtain. I just mentioned to the wife about getting rid of that curtain one day soon. Been up there for like 10 years or more. It actually went with the decor until we recently changed out the flooring. Just wasn't a necessity to replace it. That window is like 8' x 5' and those curtains aren't cheap for a window that size.
Baseboards look dirty. The baseboards actually aren't too bad. They were painted when the flooring was done. Unfortunately that wall is where the dog leans up against to look out the window and shoes get thrown off and hit the wall. Will be painting the whole living room here soon and will look much better. You probably also see the speaker wire hiding piece hanging down that goes along the bottom of the baseboard from those shoes hitting it. I have to glue it up there because it won't stick right anymore. I'm the only one in the house that can take shoes off without hitting the wall with them it seems.
Love the floors though. Kinda jealous. I had that flooring put in the kitchen, living room, hallway, and bathroom when we had some water damage from a pipe leaking in the wall. I'm glad we paid extra for it instead of having carpet put back in the living room and hallway and that cheap crap (sheets of vinyl) they put on kitchen and bathroom floors. These are actually vinyl planks. They hold up better than wood with dogs and looks a lot like real wood.
Cute dogs. Thanks

Reactions: Willy4UK
Same here. We have a beagle/walker hound mix who is 5 and this winter has been hard for her since nobody wants to walk very far in teen temps and/or snow. She'd been looking kinda down, spending a lot of time laying around, so we got her a puppy this past weekend. After 2-3 days of the older dog doing her best to avoid the puppy and giving warning growls and barks when they got too close, one good play session kinda broke the ice and now you can see an improvement in the beagle's mood.

I've been crate/house training all week, sleeping on the couch and making potty trips outside every, well, we;re up to 3 hours now. She's doing good on the house training but learning to sleeping in the crate might kill us both. I'm wrecked. Getting a baby to sleep thru the night easier.

When crate training, I cover it with a blanket or towels. If they whine I tap the crate the crate with a stick or toss a tennis ball at it. They soon associate whining with startling noises and will chill. Eliminates distractions too. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Reactions: FusterCluck
Two dogs.

Male 4 yr old part Mastiff / Rhodesian Ridge back. 78 lbs and not one ounce of fat on him.

Female 2 yr old Pitbull. Not my choice, my 23 year old rescued and adopted her. Great dog.

Both dogs are house dogs and never spent a night outside. The Mastiff sleeps in our room some nights in his bed, some nights in mine, lol. WETF he wants to sleep he does.

Reactions: Lexie's Dad
Two dogs.

Male 4 yr old part Mastiff / Rhodesian Ridge back. 78 lbs and not one ounce of fat on him.

Female 2 yr old Pitbull. Not my choice, my 23 year old rescued and adopted her. Great dog.

Both dogs are house dogs and never spent a night outside. The Mastiff sleeps in our room some nights in his bed, some nights in mine, lol. WETF he wants to sleep he does.
I’m actually glad you rescued the pit—for real. I trust you spayed the living shit out of it.

ADVERTISEMENT