ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Had A Spinal Fusion Done?

KyCatFan

All-American
May 7, 2002
Next Tuesday the 19th I will be going under the knife to have a spinal fusion done. I have 2 bad areas in my spine. One in the cervical area and one in the lumbar. Both will need a fusion done. They want to take care of the cervical fusion first. It involves the C5, C6, and C7. I have been having pains in my neck causing headaches and pain shooting down my right arm with numbness in my hand.

I have had back surgery before (discectomy in lumbar area) and was very nervous before that one, but this one is beyond nervous. I don't like the idea of them going through the front to do this one. The doctor did a good job last surgery, but this one is much more to it. Anyone else had a fusion done before? Especially a cervical one and how did it go for you?

Next Tuesday the 19th I will be going under the knife to have a spinal fusion done. I have 2 bad areas in my spine. One in the cervical area and one in the lumbar. Both will need a fusion done. They want to take care of the cervical fusion first. It involves the C5, C6, and C7. I have been having pains in my neck causing headaches and pain shooting down my right arm with numbness in my hand.

I have had back surgery before (discectomy in lumbar area) and was very nervous before that one, but this one is beyond nervous. I don't like the idea of them going through the front to do this one. The doctor did a good job last surgery, but this one is much more to it. Anyone else had a fusion done before? Especially a cervical one and how did it go for you?
Do some research.

My wife had severe back pain and went to an orthopedic surgeon who wanted to do spinal fusion ASAP. She wanted a second opinion and went to a neurosurgeon. He told that no way should she have spinal fusion because it puts too much pressure on the other vertebrae. He says any doctor that would do spinal fusion should be sued for malpractice.

A couple things. First, fusion should be a last option. That being said, many people have had great success with spinal fusion. Many haven't.
As far as cervical, going through the throat area is the newest trend. You don't have near the recovery time as the posterior method because you don't have the muscle damage.
Have you tried injections, physical therapy, etc?

Reactions: Rex Kwon Do
Already did PT and injections with no luck. I didn't have any luck the last time with injections either when I had the discectomy done. I have degenerative disc disease in my lower back. Always feels like bone hitting bone down there. I think I just am at the last resort phase and have to do these surgeries. I'd rather lose some mobility if it cuts a lot/all of the pain out. The doctor definitely didn't jump into wanting to do this procedure. We already went through all the other options first. He is my neurosurgeon by the way.

The cervical fusion just makes me more nervous thinking about them having to work around the throat and arteries to do the procedure. It just seems like more things can go wrong. The neurosurgeon will be cleaning out the discs and putting bone in there and an orthopedic doctor will be putting a plate on there. It is supposed to take about 4 hours and only one night in the hospital. Hopefully everything goes well and the recovery isn't much worse than the discectomy.

As someone who has made money in this space, my advice would be to do your research. You have one spine and my recommendation is to take care of it. Sounds like you've already had your disc done but is your Neuro a fusion guy? Are they using Navigation with it? Reason I ask is that there are some docs who are great for fusions but not discs, and vice versa. If I were having any kind of fusion I would want the option for Navigation and potentially intra-operative imaging with it. Maximizes accuracy of the screws and typically shortens the case.

Recovery varies for each person and hopefully you've taken care of yourself. If you've ever wondered about the perks of being a non smoker or working out, you'll see them in recovery. Good luck!

Get a second opinion and then a third opinion. If all three agree that a fusion is your only option then you have the comfort of knowing that you did your due diligence

Where are you having this done?

Dr. Djurasovic (Orthopaedic Surgeon) from Norton Leatherman Spine Center and Dr Finizio (Neurosurgeon) from Norton Neuroscience Institute are the two doctors that will be performing the surgery.

I had a fusion at L4-L5 and S1 in Sept of 2014...Dr Vemuri of the Lou. Orthopaedic Clinic did it and did a great job. He built a cage in between the vertebrae that supports the spine and I have been doing great. Started playing golf again in March of 2015..Did a bunch of exercises to keep things loose..The big kicker was this fall he wrote me a prescription for dry needling to help with the stiffness and it has been fabulous. The scar tissue has been broken up and the blood is flowing and I feel really good. Will probably go back for 2-3 more sessions before golf season starts. I swing pretty full and it doesn't hurt any more.

For all those who are wondering, injections and physical therapy are just band aids when you have these kinds of problems. They mask the pain for a few days and then it comes roaring back. They cannot help in the long term with disc problems. Good luck with your surgery. Hope it turns out as good as mine did.

Dr. Djurasovic (Orthopaedic Surgeon) from Norton Leatherman Spine Center and Dr Finizio (Neurosurgeon) from Norton Neuroscience Institute are the two doctors that will be performing the surgery.

Finizio can come across a bit rough. Almost has a truck driver personality. Don't let that bother you. But your lead surgeon is one of the two best choices you could have possibly made without leaving the state and even then you would be limited to the far reaches in order to have made any sort of upgrade, if possible. Dr. Djurasovic graduated from Columbia medical school, did his internship and residency at Columbia Presbyterian. After that he was accepted to the Leatherman Fellowship program, which is one of the best of it's kind in the nation, and that is why he remained in Louisville - only because he demonstrated at an exceptional level as a fellow to remain with Leatherman.

As somebody with long experience with back problems and surgeries and also with the Leatherman center, I offer only two pieces of advice for persons facing back surgery. This is #1 - never choose a surgeon that did not get accepted to an excellent Fellowship program (there are plenty of board certified surgeons who can and do perform these procedures who never went through a fellowship program). This is #2 - never expect anybody's else's conditions and experience to be similar enough to your own that they are able to offer you the exact advice you need. You've already chosen wisely for #1. Do EVERYTHING you are told to do. Listen to your doctors and get your confidence from them. Walking expedites healing and fusion. BTW, the first doctor to meet you after your surgery will very likely be a Leatherman resident fellow who was in the OR actively involved in the procedure, assisting both doctors you mentioned.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the comments. Dr Djurasovic was definitely more personable, but I had a good experience with Dr Finizio the last time when he did my discectomy so I can tolerate him alright. I'm sure everything will be fine, I just get pretty nervous when it comes to surgery. Hopefully recovery goes as planned so I can get the other area of my back done as well as soon as possible.

Already been out of commission for about 6 months before any surgery. It takes so long to get into all the appointments to see all these doctors and do the shots and PT that I feel like I wasted 6 months. Unfortunately insurance companies make you start at the cheapest treatment and work your way up.

I appreciate all the comments. Dr Djurasovic was definitely more personable, but I had a good experience with Dr Finizio the last time when he did my discectomy so I can tolerate him alright. I'm sure everything will be fine, I just get pretty nervous when it comes to surgery. Hopefully recovery goes as planned so I can get the other area of my back done as well as soon as possible.

Already been out of commission for about 6 months before any surgery. It takes so long to get into all the appointments to see all these doctors and do the shots and PT that I feel like I wasted 6 months. Unfortunately insurance companies make you start at the cheapest treatment and work your way up.

I know Mladen well and he's as nice a guy as they come. He's also a good surgeon, you'll be in good hands there.

malpractice for a fusion? Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Fusions are very common and not a huge deal. I've been in dozens of these cases. First week will suck, second week you'll be walking plenty and you'll be good in 3 months or so.

I will say cervical is worse than low thoracic/lumbar. But get a few opinions and if a fusion is recommended consistently I think you should feel good about getting it done.

Reactions: JustinSphere

I cannot blame you for the uneasiness in front + back procedures. I had met with other neurosurgeons in Nashville. Each of them proposed correcting my issues in front + back (separated by 3 days) surgeries. I couldn't go through with it. Then I met Dr. Mitchell Campbell at Leatherman, who convinced me he could correct my problems in a single (back entry) procedure. But even then, after having met him, and after having understood his credentials) I would have accepted front + back procedures if he had proposed it. I had lumbar work done, laminectomy, spinal fusion, rods and screws, yada-yada. plus a unique bridging / "load sharing" device installed above and below the affected area. Dr. Campbell kept me out of a wheelchair and into a very normal and active life. I cannot say that I am pain free, but I can say that I can feel my legs.

Had you gone almost anywhere else, you would probably be looking at a two-part procedure for your lumbar area also. Aside from all that - I just want to re-emphasize the part about walking after surgery. This is so very key - essential for your healing and for the quality of the work you are having done. So often when I hear about people who did not have good results after fusion surgery it is very, very often they did not do their part after. Do your part.

Well that's just a big ol ****in wet greasy bag of false.

No injury is the same but to suggest PT can't fix some disc problems is idiotic. Depending on the severity of the injury, sure. Someone people just need the surgery and there's nothing you can do. But to think postural training, proper stretching, core strengthening, manual therapy, and other holistic approaches like dry needling (that I'm certified to do) "cannot help in the long term with disc problems" as a cover all statement may be one of the dumbest damn things I've ever read on here.

Maybe you just either had too severe an injury or a shit therapist.

Sorry Spear but you are off base here..I have had all of the problems, the fusion,spinal stenosis and more..the strengthening of the core is nice and this stuff is helpful but does not alleviate the pain and the problem of the spurs pushing on nerves etc..You might be a PT but you don't have the answer to everything like you think you do. This stuff you mention is temporary. Whether you like it or not, it's band aids, that is why so many people have to have the surgeries after all of this other stuff has failed..It's a delay to the surgeries..

Sorry Spear but you are off base here..I have had all of the problems, the fusion,spinal stenosis and more..the strengthening of the core is nice and this stuff is helpful but does not alleviate the pain and the problem of the spurs pushing on nerves etc..You might be a PT but you don't have the answer to everything like you think you do. This stuff you mention is temporary. Whether you like it or not, it's band aids, that is why so many people have to have the surgeries after all of this other stuff has failed..It's a delay to the surgeries..

Have to agree. I've dealt with this for years. I've done years of PT and core strengthening but have still had to have three levels of disks done and a laminectomy decompression done in two surgeries. Fusion probably down the road....

OK, so in your instance, surgery was necessary. 90% of people with back issues don't need surgery. PT, injections etc are all successful for SOME back issues.
You guys are correlating your injury with everybody else. It would be like Mrs Lincoln saying...." Don't go to the theatre, you will get murdered".

I had a level 2 acdf in Jan 13. 3 days after, I developed a huge golf ball sized hematoma in my neck and had to have emergency evacuation. 6 months after surgery my surgeon, Dr Bean informed me my fusion failed.

He now wants to do it posterior and told me this was much more invasive and longer recovery time. I haven't decided whether to do it, but I can tell you my neck is much worse today than before surgery.
The surgeon was great, central baptist was great. Unfortunately, for one reason or another, mine failed. Good luck, hope yours has a much better outcome!

I wasn't clear in my post – absolutely agree the overwhelming majority of back problems, especially disc, can be resolved on their own and through PT. any neurosurgeon will tell you the same thing. But there's absolutely a case to be made for intervention, i.e. Fusion. When I replied above I replied to the wrong post.

Good luck tomorrow. I hope it helps you.

Well operation had to be rescheduled. Found out yesterday that I had an issue with my preop testing. Have to wait a few days to find out when I can go back. Have to put ointment in my nose because I am at risk to get a staph infection. I guess you can be healthy but still carry the staph bacteria. This sucks. Wanted to get this done today. Hopefully it won't be to long before they can do it.

Reactions: JustinSphere
Well operation had to be rescheduled. Found out yesterday that I had an issue with my preop testing. Have to wait a few days to find out when I can go back. Have to put ointment in my nose because I am at risk to get a staph infection. I guess you can be healthy but still carry the staph bacteria. This sucks. Wanted to get this done today. Hopefully it won't be to long before they can do it.
Do you believe in "omens"?

No. I believe in hospitals trying to cover their own butts. To easy to get sued these days. It sucks for the patients, but money talks.

Just got home. Had to stay an extra day due to drainage. Now the long recovery time. Not as bad feeling afterwards as I expected. Mostly just a sore throat. Barely slept in 3 days so hopefully I will crash tonight.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
Glad to hear you made it through. Reading this thread brought back a bunch of emotions for me. My wife had a discectomy about a year ago and she is doing great since her surgery. Continued good luck to you, and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
Rough first couple days at home. Not in a lot of pain (have a ton of Hydrocodones for that) but just can't get comfortable enough to sleep good. Spend most of my time in the recliner. To hard to get in and out of bed and feeling so exhausted. Might see if the doctor can give me a few sleeping pills to help during the first week home. I have been walking around as much as I can. I am supposed to be getting some kind of bone stimulator soon to help with the fusion. I go back to both my doctors on the 19th and I will let you all know how things are going after that unless something happens between now and then. I appreciate all the supportive comments.

Reactions: awf and Get Bucket$
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT