ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else think the...

Great question, and even though I don't believe it has, I can see where many would feel this way. It is nothing more than a red carpet ego show now, and the game itself is pretty meh.

For starters, put the ballots back in the hands of the fans AT THE GAMES ONLY.

Eliminate the AL vs NL in the AS game....take the selections and anoint captains to pick like the NBA does now.

HR Derby has jumped the shark, for real. Great for the kids, but seeing umpteen 450' bombs in this setting gets old.

Great question, and even though I don't believe it has, I can see where many would feel this way. It is nothing more than a red carpet ego show now, and the game itself is pretty meh.

For starters, put the ballots back in the hands of the fans AT THE GAMES ONLY.

Eliminate the AL vs NL in the AS game....take the selections and anoint captains to pick like the NBA does now.

HR Derby has jumped the shark, for real. Great for the kids, but seeing umpteen 450' bombs in this setting gets old.
Great post

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
I think it has to do with inter interleague play being so prevalent now. Not to mention AL has dominated over the past 30 years or so...something like 25 out of 30.

I personally still enjoy the game itself but don't follow the derby as much as I once did.

Reactions: morgousky
I think one thing that people are having issues with today is.....

You’re just tired of sports in general.

Same thing every year, rinse repeat. It’s bound to get old after 100 years right?

I watched summer league basketball this year and was bored out of my mind. Just found myself watching it.

There’s too many games, tournaments have been extended too much allowing too many teams, money has destroyed loyalty, and it’s just not as fun all the way around.

Watched the ASG, bored out of my mind. They need to do away with inter league play all together. It would help.

The NFL pro bowl is a disaster. Can’t watch 5 minutes of it.

Maybe a new sport needs to be created. Maybe fans need to demand shorter seasons.

College basketball, the NBA, NFL, MLB have all extended invitations into the playoffs and watered down regular seasons.

It’s like Harvard allowing a 80% acceptance rate, the diplomas would be devalued. Sports have done this across the board. It’s old and wore out, totally watered down.

You’re probably just sick of sports turning into business rather than the games holding the meaning.

Same thing every year, rinse repeat. It’s bound to get old after 100 years right?

I watched summer league basketball this year and was bored out of my mind. Just found myself watching it.

There’s too many games, tournaments have been extended too much allowing too many teams, money has destroyed loyalty, and it’s just not as fun all the way around.

Watched the ASG, bored out of my mind. They need to do away with inter league play all together. It would help.

Maybe a new sport needs to be created. Maybe fans need to demand shorter seasons.

College basketball, the NBA, NFL, MLB have all extended invitations into the playoffs and watered down regular seasons.

It’s like Harvard allowing a 80% acceptance rate, the diplomas would be devalued. Sports have done this across the board. It’s old and wore out, totally watered down.

You’re probably just sick of sports turning into business rather than the games holding the meaning.

This. And all of this. Sports have seriously lost my attention for the most part. College football, you pretty much know in July who’ll be playing for a championship. Same thing in college basketball. I hate the NBA. The NFL is beyond boring to me. Plus, I don’t want to watch the Bengals on CBS or the Cowboys on Fox weekly. I still like baseball mainly because it’s what I played growing up but I’ve found so much more to do with my time these days.

Hell of a post. I agree completely.

Reactions: kev69

Let me float the idea of doing away with different 'leagues' and divisions. these teams can get anywhere in a couple of hours, and regional affiliation is already archaic. Let's stop pretending, and just have one league in sports and no wild cards spots.

Let me float the idea of doing away with different 'leagues' and divisions. these teams can get anywhere in a couple of hours, and regional affiliation is already archaic. Let's stop pretending, and just have one league in sports and no wild cards spots.

Don’t agree with that. You need divisions. It’s historical and gives a window to shoot for instead of an ocean. I also think we need to return to leagues, donaway with the stupid interleague play, and return to having umpires who specialize in American and National leagues. Once they did away with that umpiring went to hell.

And keep the designated hitter out of the national league.

Change isn’t always good. Lots of times it’s bad and leads to terrible outcomes.

Don’t agree with that. You need divisions. It’s historical and gives a window to shoot for instead of an ocean. I also think we need to return to leagues, donaway with the stupid interleague play, and return to having umpires who specialize in American and National leagues. Once they did away with that umpiring went to hell.

Change isn’t always good. Lots of times it’s bad and leads to terrible outcomes.
The DH is the biggest bastardization in MLB history. You're either a ball player or you're not. The DH was a sellout gimmick towards fans with no attention spans. It's garbage. What, a kid can be such a superb athlete throwing a ball, that he can't swing a bat. Give me a break. The DH sucks.

The same sports fans that like a DH, are the same that don't appreciate hockey or soccer. There doesn't need to be a double digit on the scoreboard for it to be a good game. If you're physically gifted enough to throw a baseball at an elite level, you can hit one. Until the the DH happened and kids either became ballplayers or just pitchers. But the AL sold out to the microwave now croud. What's next, a pitcher's helper to field a ground ball?

Yes it has. The AL domination does it for me and it's just not as exciting watching players these days. Much enjoyed it as a child when my heroes were still active and not retired. The guys these days are not in my age group in which I started watching the game. Pretty much the era after Ken Griffey Jr and baseball lost its luster to me.

Last edited:

This is another great post Morg. I couldn’t agree more.

I am past tired of pro sports. I used to love the NFL, NBA, and MLB. I never watch the NBA now. I rarely watch an NFL game anymore, and besides the Reds, I haven’t watched a MLB game in years.

Money has ruined sports. It’s not about winning or losing, it’s about putting up good enough stats so “Dominiqueio” can “get paid”. I know, I’m just a “hater”. (That’s what people are called when they have opposing views and aren’t jock sniffers)

I still love CFB, and I still enjoy March Madness, but even those two sports are being diminished because of money.

We renewed our season tickets for both basketball and football again, but I will say that we actually had thoughts about basketball. It gets old seeing a new team every year. It’s a CBB problem, not a Cal problem.

Last edited:
This is another great post Morg. I couldn’t agree more.

I am past tired of pro sports. I used to love the NFL, NBA, and MLB. I never watch the NBA now. I rarely watch an NFL game anymore, and besides the Reds, I haven’t watched a MLB game in years.

Money has ruined sports. It’s not about winning or losing, it’s about putting up good enough stats so “Dominiqueio” can “get paid”. I know, I’m just a “hater”. (That’s what people are called when they have opposing views and aren’t jock sniffers)

I still love CFB, and I still enjoy March Madness, but even those two sports are being diminished because of money.

We renewed our season tickets for both basketball and football again, but I will say that we actually had thoughts about basketball. It gets old seeing a new team every year. It’s a CBB problem, not a Cal problem.

I’ve never been to a UK game, season tickets must be nice. :flushed:

The DH is the biggest bastardization in MLB history. You're either a ball player or you're not. The DH was a sellout gimmick towards fans with no attention spans. It's garbage. What, a kid can be such a superb athlete throwing a ball, that he can't swing a bat. Give me a break. The DH sucks.
If they are going to have a dh in the al, then the nl should adopt it as well. It’s bs, they get it all season and the nl gets it only in the World Series or away games. They will never get rid of the rule, but the nl should be included in it as well to make the game fair. Edgar Martinez who was a career dh player just made the hof. That’s a lot of production who never took the field. It also takes out the possibility of a pitcher being hurt trying to bat.

If they are going to have a dh in the al, then the nl should adopt it as well. It’s bs, they get it all season and the nl gets it only in the World Series or away games. They will never get rid of the rule, but the nl should be included in it as well to make the game fair. Edgar Martinez who was a career dh player just made the hof. That’s a lot of production who never took the field. It also takes out the possibility of a pitcher being hurt trying to bat.
Why does the NL has to change? And at what point did we say if you're elite enough of a teenage athlete that can throw a baseball, why aren't you elite enough to hit one too? Baseball should be about ball players, not niche players. What's next, a fielder's helper for pitchers? The DH just sucks and is moved the game in a bad direction. And EM got into the HOF with exactly how many Gold Gloves? Was EM so much of an amazing hitter that he warranted Cooperstown without actually being a baseball player?? Impressive hitter for sure, but in my book, he wouldn't have gotten my vote.

No. The American League is garbage because of the strike zone and the DH. It takes all of the scheming and real baseball moves out of the game. The NL and AL are not the same game and I don’t want the NL adopting it.

As far as pitchers getting hurt, they’re part of baseball. No difference in a second baseman and a pitcher, the both assume the same risk. Next we will want what? Automatic out for ground balls because a third baseman could be hurt?

This is why I hate the American League. They’ve ruined the traditional game.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Why does the NL has to change? And at what point did we say if you're elite enough of a teenage athlete that can throw a baseball, why aren't you elite enough to hit one too? Baseball should be about ball players, not niche players. What's next, a fielder's helper for pitchers? The DH just sucks and is moved the game in a bad direction. And EM got into the HOF with exactly how many Gold Gloves? Was EM so much of an amazing hitter that he warranted Cooperstown without actually being a baseball player?? Impressive hitter for sure, but in my book, he wouldn't have gotten my vote.
All I’m saying is if one league has it both should. I agree they should do away with it, but I think if they are going to have it, both leagues should be able to use it

No. The American League is garbage because of the strike zone and the DH. It takes all of the scheming and real baseball moves out of the game. The NL and AL are not the same game and I don’t want the NL adopting it.

As far as pitchers getting hurt, they’re part of baseball. No difference in a second baseman and a pitcher, the both assume the same risk. Next we will want what? Automatic out for ground balls because a third baseman could be hurt?

This is why I hate the American League. They’ve ruined the traditional game.
This is exactly what the AL microwave need points on the board now fans don't get. In the NL, managers actually have to manage late game situations. Double switches, etc. Hell, any idiot could sit on the bench with a lineup card in his hand in NY, Boston, Houston and Cleveland. As a baseball fan, I'd rather see the dynamics of a manager making late game calls, than some fat guy waddling out there to swing away a couple times a night.

All I’m saying is if one league has it both should. I agree they should do away with it, but I think if they are going to have it, both leagues should be able to use it
Why does the other league have to adopt a stupid idea because the other league did it? Just doing it doesn't make it right. Only thing worse than a bad idea is forcing that bad idea on other people..

As an overall sports fan, it is kinda a neat dynamic that baseball has. The other pro leagues don't really have anything like the DH debate.

Why does the other league have to adopt a stupid idea because the other league did it? Just doing it doesn't make it right. Only thing worse than a bad idea is forcing that bad idea on other people..

It’s 2019. When one does something the other must follow suit.

The DH is terrible and should have never been implemented. It changed the entire game. And that’s why I never watch the AL. No strategy, no coaching, no baseball.

It’s 2019. When one does something the other must follow suit.

The DH is terrible and should have never been implemented. It changed the entire game. And that’s why I never watch the AL. No strategy, no coaching, no baseball.

The DH May be stupid. But one league having it and the other not is plain stupid, also. I hate the baseballs that are being used today but I have to accept it whether I like it or not. It’s time to consolidate the rules. It’s silly for a major pro sports league to have different rules. It just is. And I was a no DH proponent for most of my life but if HS and college have it, then it’s time to unify it.

ADVERTISEMENT