ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else think Quickley missed the last ft on purpose?

I am like some other I would not put it past Cal to do this. I wondered about it like many of you.

2 seconds or less maybe but not with 3.3 on the clock. I still wouldn't do it, hit the FT and go up 3, worse that could happen is OT

I don't think it was intentional. However, I said to my wife right before he shot it, I think you've got to make this but it might not be a terrible thing if he misses. The miss right there gets the clock moving immediately and doesn't allow a long pass from out of bounds with no time elapsing. So, the chances of getting a quality 3pt attempt is slim. (And that's what happened)

The problem with not making that shot is that fluke 3 going in loses you the game, instead of the worst being overtime.

Bottom line: you've gotta make that shot if possible but it's not the worst thing if you miss.

Please tell me most on here understands how dumb that would be. Remember KJ's half-court shot ?? the in bonds play was with 1.5 seconds left. Miss a free throw with 3.3 seconds that half-court shots wins the game! Why would you give the other team a chance to win vs at best tie?

Seems that I remember some speculation of Fox trying to miss a FT at the end of the '16 UNC game where Monk lit it up. Clanged in a hard line drive FT shot that many said he was trying to miss. Don't recall if he or Cal were asked about it or not. Seems we were up two with little time left. But my memory may be a bit off.

I don't think that was the scenario where you would want to miss a free throw on purpose. There was too much time, and you're only up 2. With 3.3 seconds and a timeout, you can do a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT