ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else think Quickley missed the last ft on purpose?

Kybluedude

All-SEC
Nov 19, 2005
I think Cal instructed him to bang that last free throw off in order to make Auburn’s interior guys handle the ball rather than letting Brown and Harper have a set play if he made it. It was way short and left. IQ doesn’t miss many.

That's what I was calling for before he shot it. They rebound and it happens as you say. If we get...game definitely over.

that is what i thought. he is an 80% FT shooter. a guy like him is going to miss just short or just long, rebounds will be soft and near the rim. that attempt kicked hard. made me think it was on purpose. by the time Auburn chased it down, and turned up the court a second is already gone, only shot left was a half court shot at best.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
OP I do think so
Also burns clock immediately thus adding pressure to a shooter

I think Cal instructed him to bang that last free throw off in order to make Auburn’s interior guys handle the ball rather than letting Brown and Harper have a set play if he made it. It was way short and left. IQ doesn’t miss many.
no

If kind of looked like it. Unfortunately, the ball bounced straight to the AU player and they got a better shot than if it has bounced away from the rebounders.

It ended up working out.

Reactions: crpoore
Crossed my mind but we didn’t defend extremely well as we offered no resistance on the rebound and quick pass to mid court. They only had time for the desperation shot just inside half court but the way every team has thrown in prayers against us this year not sure i cared for the strategy but it worked. There is a risk in everything you do there so pick your poison.

Reactions: Bluesnky
Hard to say really. 3 seconds from other side of court is really difficult to make a play at the basket.

However, when you are only up 2...there is a huge risk, while making the shot means no risk of losing.

I would think just make it, and put pressure on inbound passer and you kind of get the same thing except no risk of losing. (unless you foul a shooter and it goes in....)

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
Interesting thought and makes sense now that I think about it. Admit I was hoping for the make. Thanks for the input...a reason to read the board. We are all better informed when we discuss without lobbing grenades at each other for pointless reasons. Kudos.

Reactions: BassProCat
Nah he just missed.... too much time on the clock to just brick a free throw. I believe there was 5 seconds? Only takes some players 3 seconds to get into the lane

I was thinking a miss would burn to much clock for them to get off a decent look, but they still did and didn't miss by a whole lot. I think 3+ seconds is definitely very risky with an intentional miss and only being up 2. I would have felt better being up 3 and making them have to work hard to get the ball inbounds. Then you can have the option to foul them and prevent the 3 point attempt as well.

I don't think he missed it on purpose at all. I think a better strategy Cal might have had in mind would be, if we make it we have a 3 point lead. Let's have them inbound and dribble a couple of times then foul them with maybe a second left on the clock and a 3 point lead.

Reactions: musrat59
Nope , you make that free throw there's 0 chance Auburn makes a shot to win the game .

Not a chance in hell he told him to miss.

Having said that, it might have worked to our benefit. I'm sure Auburn had a designed play to get a decent look if they had a chance to throw it in.

I liked it whether Cal called it or not. Clock starts after miss when touched, pass is made and moved up the court. The shot is hurried for sure.
If made, we are up 3 but the ball is taken out of bounds and thrown down the court and no clock moving. A better chance for a tie.
I've got a real bad memory of length of the floor passes that haunt UK.

The defense wasn't set for a miss, so I'd say no.

Missed it badly though so maybe.

Don't think he missed it intentionally.....If it was planned,it would have been addressed in the post press conference...IMO

Don't think so, and AU had a TO, don't know why they didn't use it. If he missed on purpose and they hit a 3, oh boy!

I don't think he missed it on purpose at all. I think a better strategy Cal might have had in mind would be, if we make it we have a 3 point lead. Let's have them inbound and dribble a couple of times then foul them with maybe a second left on the clock and a 3 point lead.
Whether he missed on purpose or not, if it had played out where he made it...we're up 3 and then foul...if AU makes the first FT then we would have definitely seen an intentional miss on the second FT by AU.

Reactions: ORCAT
Whether he missed on purpose or not, if it had played out where he made it...we're up 3 and then foul...if AU makes the first FT then we would have definitely seen an intentional miss on the second FT by AU.

With the way other teams have made ridiculous 3's against us all year, I definitely go up by 3 and foul. Then the only way you lose is if something ignorant happens like a ref allowing a free throw shooter to step in the lane early on an intentional miss, they get the rebound, put back, and fouled to win by 1.
:chairshot: You at least get to beat them by 61 in the rematch during the SEC Tournament.

I certainly hope not.

Krzyzewski nearly blew a national title on the same stupidity.

Too much time on the clock to intentionally miss a free throw with a 2 point lead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT