ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else growing Apathetic to these losses?

maysvilleky

All-American
Aug 13, 2003
I used to live and die a lot more with these wins and losses in both FB and BB. It used to stay with me for several days but it seems that it’s becoming more and more just a game. I don’t know if it’s me, this virus environment, the overall culture of things???? Just not quite as important as it once was.

Any one else? Or maybe another opinion?

I used to live and die a lot more with these wins and losses in both FB and BB. It used to stay with me for several days but it seems that it’s becoming more and more just a game. I don’t know if it’s me, this virus environment, the overall culture of things???? Just not quite as important as it once was.

My passion for basketball has definitely waned since 2015 and the Wisconsin loss. Still into it but not at the level I was.

Football just still makes me angry because we have so much potential to be great and I feel like we keep wasting opportunities.

No, you’re not the only one. Used to plan all week for gameday and spend all $ and emotions on the outcomes and mope around after the inevitable loss. While this year was busted by covid, I seriously considered not renewing our tix.

While Stoops has the program going on the right direction, it’s just not as important to us anymore. Guess age has changed my mindset but of course, I still root for us to win.

Reactions: maysvilleky
I still love the Cats, and always will. I am not as enamored with either coach, as a lot of fans. When Cal come here, and his ability to recruit, I thought we would be able to hang CHAMPIONSHIP banners at least once in every four years. I know that was expecting a lot, but when your recruiting the Number One class, I think your expectations are high. The last 6 years, I have seen coaches change their strategy to stop the "Dribble Drive," and they have been successful. The last 6 years, teams have stayed in the game, or beat us, with a lot less talent. The game in basketball and football is forever changing, and coaches must change with it. I know I will catch a lot of $hit for this post, since a lot of posters thinks it is sacrilegious, to ever criticize Coach Cal. A lot of us feel the game has passed Coach Stoops, but a lot of fans are happy with 6 or 7 wins most years, just as a lot of fans are happy with winning 25 to 28 games in Basketball and going to the Final 8. This is fine if that's what you want, and it doesn't make you wrong, regardless of which camp your in. Your entitled to your opinion, and just as someone else is entitled to theirs.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Virus has sucked the life out of college football, baseball, horse racing, and to a little lesser extent golf. In short, all the sports I really care about. So yes, not as down about the loss Saturday as I would have been even a year ago.

For me it’s age. I just have a lot more important stuff going on in life than to worry about college kids playing sports. Love my Cats, want them to win, but if they don’t, I’m over it almost immediately. With football, I still watch every game and try and plan my Saturday around those 3 hours. With basketball, I’ll miss games and it’s not that big of a deal. I never used to be like that. It has more to do with how watered down college basketball is as a while as opposed to UK itself.

I plan my Saturday around watching UK's game. I don't watch as much outside the SEC as I used to (of course, B1G just started and Pac 12 still in limbo). I miss the big intersectional games - they seem to get me really fired up for the season as a whole. Weirdly, I dislike the high-scoring games where neither team plays any defense. But, I also get pretty bored with UK's vanilla ineffective offense. Even when it works, there just aren't that many big plays - it's death by 1000 cuts rather than a big play here and there. With our blase offense most games, it's hard to feel like any lead is safe and so you just sit there and worry for 3+ hours.

I used to be pretty hard to be around after a UK loss for the rest of Saturday. Now, it's more like an hour hangover, venting on the boards and with my brother and then I forget about it.

Agree with both. Not a huge Stoops fan. Him and his playing favorites and playing not to lose has turned me off.

So you made it through all the crap coaches, but the coach that wins (relative to our program history) is the one that turned me off. That opinion, although valid I guess, baffles me. But then again, I'd rather win ugly than lose pretty.

The bottom line is that during a significant presidential election, in the middle of a pandemic, in conjunction with civil unrest and a president that is bat shit crazy, sports aren't as important. And that's a good thing. Sports and entertainment are one way the decision makers keep us occupied so we don't think about how little they care about the populace.

I get mad during to the point my wife will take the kids and go somewhere. I blow a fuse only when I see lack of effort, lack of execution, stupid penalties or lame brain coaching. I short circuited Saturday. Turned it off, watched a Alabama-UT game. Turned it back when it was 17-10. That was a mistake. However, 5 minutes after the game, I am completely decompressed and I turn back into Dr Jekyll.....unless that smartass on that CBS show in New York I don’t know what his name is, some twerp, unless he shows highlights and make fun of us then it’s back to Mr Hyde

Age may have something to do with it for me. When you are young, you have more energy to attend games and take care of all the surrounding elements that involve going - parking, eating, traveling. I now live so far away from Lexington that I try to catch the games on the tv, but if I miss a game, it is fine. My life is very full and I am grateful for each new day of life and spending it with family and friends. Other issues have taken priority and that is okay, as well. Still love the Cats, but don't fret the losses as much any more. These are 18, 19 and 20 year olds building their sports brand and working on their future prospects. It has become more of a business franchise and less like a sporting event. jmo

i don't think you are the only one and i don't think it's all covid or this year's culture. looking back over the last several years, attendance for multiple sports is down and the tv ratings of the events are way down as well. it was already happening and then 2020 sort of just drilled into oblivion.

if i had to pinpoint the main culprit it would be the rising exponential cable costs with a lot of that blame going to espn. they demand so much money to carry their channels and it's a must to have if you want to be a serious cable provider. people are tired of paying that costs to watch a few games a week. and being forced or required to have a cable subscription bothered a lot of people and when other avenues started to pop up, off they went. and i'm not just talking about moving to sling, yttv, directvnow, etc. i'm talking about killing it all together and just relying on netflix and/or hulu and having just as much entertainment and catching a game here and there at a bar or a friends house or online.

it's just not worth it. and consumers are partly to blame too. for years we craved the ability to watch all of the sports all of the time. we got it, then we paid for it, got fatigued by it and now here we are.

i still care when UK loses in sports, same way with reds, bengals and some others but instead of brooding over a loss, now i'm over it in mere hours, sometimes minutes. it's just not the same. we've been heading down this road for a few years and then 2020 took an exit only ramp with a "no re-entry" sign.

I get angrier over losses than a man my age should for health reasons. That loss Saturday was terrible for my blood pressure.

My passion for basketball has definitely waned since 2015 and the Wisconsin loss. Still into it but not at the level I was.

Football just still makes me angry because we have so much potential to be great and I feel like we keep wasting opportunities.
I’m still not over 2015 I refuse to watch highlights from that team to this day

Still ruins the rest of my day when UK loses in fball.

Bball I don't care if we lose, especially now in the one and done era. Hell I never know most of the players, why do I care what happens?

I knew the past couple of seasons were somewhat of a fluke

Benny Snell
Josh Allen

Those 2 were responsible for the 10 win season, not the coaches. We lost against UT and TAMU because were content with 3 straight wildcat calls up the middle.

Terry Wilson is who he is, it’s time to move on from him. At this point in the season it needs to be about prepping for the future. Because next season fans are going to pay money to go watch games that are infuriatingly boring.

I have never been less interested in the basketball program. One and done fatigue has definitely set in for me. I didn't watch some games last year simply because I didn't care enough to watch.

Glenn, I understand what your saying, but I'm one of those "Dumb A$$," fans who keeps hoping that we will always WIN, and hang Number 9. There are anywhere form 50 to 100 in Bonita Springs, most of us over 60, who get together at Duffy's and "Hoop and Holler." Most of us have been UK fans all our life. We remember Rupp and Bear Bryant very well. If your ever in Florida around Bonita Springs, join us and listen to old folks curse the refs. We have learned that the refs can't see near as good as we can, and I know we're NOT BIASED. We do enjoy a few SPIRITS during the game, which helps our eyesight.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

So you made it through all the crap coaches, but the coach that wins (relative to our program history) is the one that turned me off. That opinion, although valid I guess, baffles me. But then again, I'd rather win ugly than lose pretty.

The bottom line is that during a significant presidential election, in the middle of a pandemic, in conjunction with civil unrest and a president that is bat shit crazy, sports aren't as important. And that's a good thing. Sports and entertainment are one way the decision makers keep us occupied so we don't think about how little they care about the populace.

For me its the maddening way in which Stoops invents losing, that sets him apart from the coaches that got throttled . He coaches scared and conservative and that drives me nuts

Are you talking about the NFL and the NBA, and the BLM, that was started by three women who are professed Marxists, or the President who is the first one in my lifetime who has tried to do what he run on, in spite of the BS the Democrats have thrown at him. I'm sure a lot of fans don't like to see politics on this board, but you started it.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

I get mad with the losses, but if you live and die with Stoops’ nutty decisions and coaching blunders you’re going to be in for a long miserable fall every year

I hardly ever watch UK basketball anymore.....College basketball is so boring.

I'm passionate about UK football, but the AJ Rose incident really turned me off regarding Stoops.....I can't really support a culture in a football team that acts likes this.....

Reactions: ManitouDan
I hardly ever watch UK basketball anymore.....College basketball is so boring.

I'm passionate about UK football, but the AJ Rose incident really turned me off regarding Stoops.....I can't really support a culture in a football team that acts likes this.....

Agreed , a move like that followed by a fumble .. and he doesnt get " rested " with C Rod and Smoke ready to go . Quite unbelievable .

Reactions: willievic
I may have watched half the basketball games last year. I don't know who the players are and the majority of games are not appealing. Tournament play is great and unfortunately we never played the first game of it last year. Football in a normal year also has too many cupcake games to watch them all. Style of play also doesn't make it very entertaining. When you have not evolved enough to incorporate the forward pass into the offense then it gets kind of boring. Missouri beat us with our own game plan and it may of been one of the worst football games I had ever watched. A ten minute drive in football is about as bad as it gets..

Reactions: ManitouDan
ADVERTISEMENT