ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody listen to Larry Glover Live?

Catclass15

Blue Chip Prospect
Mar 22, 2010
Is it just me or is like about 75 percent of the show commercial breaks or him talking about Suttons, Ale 8 or Jack Kain?

Reactions: mattrudd
Is it just me or is like about 75 percent of the show commercial breaks or him talking about Suttons, Ale 8 or Jack Kain?

That's interesting. I've actually always thought his show had noticeably fewer commercials than the officially licensed UK sports shows. But, I only listen occasionally when driving at the time of the show. Still, his show is on at the same time as the UK licensed show on 630 AM, and I find myself almost always choosing to listen to his show instead. I just enjoy hearing Glover and Kenny Walker more. But my one gripe is that it doesn’t matter how many weeks or months I go between listening to his show, he seems to have the same lame (sorry) callers who wait with bated breath to call in every single show. Please somebody tell these people that their opinions are not that interesting, so give it a rest once in a while.

I used to listen to him and Kenny Walker post game but I stopped due to excessive commercials. I'd swear they had a 20 minute segment that was all commercials. At that point I realized it was a waste time.

Larry has a good show. A LOT better than Dick Gabriel(who is terrible in my opinion)A couple of things about Glover's show that drives me crazy are him rambling on at times about silly topics and the way he interrupts Callers all the time. Other than that, its a pretty entertaining show.

Reactions: mattrudd
That's interesting. I've actually always thought his show had noticeably fewer commercials than the officially licensed UK sports shows. But, I only listen occasionally when driving at the time of the show. Still, his show is on at the same time as the UK licensed show on 630 AM, and I find myself almost always choosing to listen to his show instead. I just enjoy hearing Glover and Kenny Walker more. But my one gripe is that it doesn’t matter how many weeks or months I go between listening to his show, he seems to have the same lame (sorry) callers who wait with bated breath to call in every single show. Please somebody tell these people that their opinions are not that interesting, so give it a rest once in a while.

Maybe I'm too used to Espn 680 in Louisville, it has far less commercials for sure.

Outside of NPR, pretty much all standard talk radio is like that now. There have been many times living in Northerrn Kentucky/Cincinnati that I shuffle between 1530, 1360 and 700 and all three are on commercial break so back to NPR or podcast I go.

LGL is better than bigblueinsider (Dick G). Could be better but it's a decent show. LGL does have a variety of guests on which is a little different rather than just callers.

Larry has a good show. A LOT better than Dick Gabriel(who is terrible in my opinion)A couple of things about Glover's show that drives me crazy are him rambling on at times about silly topics and the way he interrupts Callers all the time. Other than that, its a pretty entertaining show.
To his defense (and detriment) he doesn't interrupt people on purpose, he has a delay problem I think with his remote. But he does struggle himself to feel the flow of a conversation sometimes and that combo is maddening to try to listen to. We have a running bet every time we turn it on in the car as to how long it will be take for the first pregnant pause or for he and the caller to start talking at the same time, usually both.

Maybe I'm too used to Espn 680 in Louisville, it has far less commercials for sure.

I see. I don’t recall really listening to any shows on that station. I was just comparing it to the Dick Gabriel show airing at the same time as Glover’s show.

Reactions: Catclass15
rambling on about silly topics that's all ksr does

While I will agree that KSR rambles at times about silly topics,it is still hands down the best Kentucky radio show going and its not even close in my opinion.

The only way i can tolerate listening to ksr is to have the sound turned completely down. That way the announcers at least sound half way intelligent.

I like him better than Dick Gabriel. I emailed them both and let them know I was switching over to Glover when Dick did a Big Blue Report and his guest (Bob Domine) talked about the ul QB the whole time.

To his defense (and detriment) he doesn't interrupt people on purpose, he has a delay problem I think with his remote. But he does struggle himself to feel the flow of a conversation sometimes and that combo is maddening to try to listen to. We have a running bet every time we turn it on in the car as to how long it will be take for the first pregnant pause or for he and the caller to start talking at the same time, usually both.

Man you nailed it. I'm a big larry fan, been listening for quite a few years. I really don't understand why for so many years now, he continues to have a delay issue with callers. It drives everyone in our house crazy. The conversation flow is also a major issue. I can't tell you how often he is interviewing someone or interacting with a caller, a point is made, ready for discussion, and larry just ends call abruptly. Larry, please stop initiating conversation, or ask a good question, only to, just out of nowhere, say, sorry, got to go. There needs to be better production skills in relation to this issue. Just let the caller or guest know that a commercial break is coming up. Its very frustrating to hear a good conversation just abruptly ended without a forewarning.

Reactions: FusterCluck
"Larry From Lebanon" and "Chris from Richmond" drive me bananas, but other than those 2, I enjoy his show.

I can't stand the way he says the phrase "LarryGloverLive" as if it's one word.

Otherwise, I dig his show as much as I can, but he can be off-putting when taking an unnecessary hard line on some tertiary topic.

Yes. Very hard to listen to that.

Man you nailed it. I'm a big larry fan, been listening for quite a few years. I really don't understand why for so many years now, he continues to have a delay issue with callers. It drives everyone in our house crazy. The conversation flow is also a major issue. I can't tell you how often he is interviewing someone or interacting with a caller, a point is made, ready for discussion, and larry just ends call abruptly. Larry, please stop initiating conversation, or ask a good question, only to, just out of nowhere, say, sorry, got to go. There needs to be better production skills in relation to this issue. Just let the caller or guest know that a commercial break is coming up. Its very frustrating to hear a good conversation just abruptly ended without a forewarning.

Could work on that for sure but overall seems like a great guy and does a good job..

Reactions: Catclass15
I don't like the fact that Matt Jones and KSR don't give any love to Larry Glover and his show. Glover was doing it at 6pm for years before KSR even existed as an idea. Glover goes back a few years on the 590!
Shoot I still to this very DAY turn on Glover and Kenny Sky Walker right after a Kentucky game on 590. They start the show the second the game is over and you get Skywalker's view of how it went down. I don't know why they be hating on Skywalker but he gets no love from KSR either.
Walker and Glover are better than Jones and Lemond at talking uk basketball. That's a absolute fact people.
Walker/Glover > KSR

Last edited:
My issues with Glover:
A) The constant over-talking of the guests/callers.Many times there will be two people talking - which lasts 10, 20 seconds sometimes. Maddening.
B) Not sure if he still does it, but there was a stretch of time when the first 30 minutes of the show consisted of nothing but commercials and talking about the Legends. So very boring.
C) This is not his fault, but his "usuals" seem to call in every night with nothing to say. They just want to be on the radio - and they talk forever. "Hey Larry, What do you think of Stoops? " .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT